You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Why are service costs to high at tier 9?

19 comments in this topic

Members
1,175 posts
3,356 battles

Has a Ok game in the Fletcher, team won, sunk 2 boats, only took 1 hit, lost about 500 damage. Score pops up, 110k service cost? Didn't use any smoke, fired 64 shells and hit 33 times and 3 torp hits from 10 fired. Only  barely made any profit...

What is that service cost paying for?

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles

They changed it so you play all upfront fees for your ship, this was to stop people trying to save their ship and have less cost in repairs, so now if you take no damage you pay full price.

It was really bad ages ago with people hiding trying to save themselves some silver by not taking damage.

• Cool 1

Members
1,175 posts
3,356 battles

Shoul

7 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

They changed it so you play all upfront fees for your ship, this was to stop people trying to save their ship and have less cost in repairs, so now if you take no damage you pay full price.

It was really bad ages ago with people hiding trying to save themselves some silver by not taking damage.

Ok.. but if you're on the winning team shouldn't that cost be removed?

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles
Just now, LunchCutter said:

Shoul

No because you still need to repair your ship and pay for any ammo you used, when you win you get a multiplier awarded to your XP and silver for the amount you did in the game.

High tier play without a premium account will make little or no money at all, if you do not do much in the game, I have had many games where I couldn't get into a cap or get the damage needed and even though it was a win I still lost 100k in silver. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
2,562 posts
4,805 battles
5 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Shoul

Nope.   The mechanics of free to play are that the higher you go, the better you have to do as a player, to make money to play again.   It used to be that with a premium account the cut off point was tier 9, unless you were really really good and for a non premium it was Tier 8.

The thinking and practice was that you played Mid tiers to make money and then used that money to play high tiers.  Often quoted as Mid tiers are the job, high tiers are for fun.

Some time ago, the costs were dramatically reduced so now, anyone who can pretty much do anything apart from just sink will still make money at t10, so the costs are pretty trivial.

Before the costs were reduced, you pretty much had to be one of the top three on the winning team at T10 to actually make any money at all and you needed a premium account to do even that.

Edited by MaliceA4Thought

[PVE]
Members
9,659 posts
26,368 battles
7 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Has a Ok game in the Fletcher, team won, sunk 2 boats, only took 1 hit, lost about 500 damage. Score pops up, 110k service cost? Didn't use any smoke, fired 64 shells and hit 33 times and 3 torp hits from 10 fired. Only  barely made any profit...

The idea is to get you to go out & play rather than trying to stop from having to pay higher costs...they just made it where the service cost is the same for all ships of the same tier (no matter the type...premium or not...although all premiums have a service cost reduction from the camos...& so do all premium camos for the tiers you can buy them for) so it doesn't matter if you don't take a scratch or get sunk it is exactly the same cost.

All consumables are either free (standard) or 22.5k (premium) & besides the premium costs are free to use as many times as you have charges w/out any other costs to you & always have been.

You do pay for all ammo on top of service costs.

2 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

Shoul

1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

when you win you get a multiplier awarded to your XP and silver for the amount you did in the game

Up until recently I thought winning gave a silver bonus also but apparently winning gives you a 50% extra base XP bonus but that's all...premium gives you a boost to both XP & silver.

Members
1,660 posts

And don't forget to mount and auto resupply those economic signals!  I usually forget to check that box and don't notice for several battles.

Also, don't the summary screens tell you exactly what your costs went to? 

Members
1,660 posts
42 minutes ago, LunchCutter said:

You still use fuel, have to pay the crew, feed the crew.  Then there would be port costs, pilot, berthing, tug boats and ship's agent fees.

Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

Basically WG has the high tier economy set up to lose credits for a few reasons:

1)  To encourage players to "subscribe" and buy premium time or premium ships.
2)  To populate the lower tiers - most tier 5-7 can make you good credits, and by having players farm credits there new players don't have to worry about abandoned queues on the way to 10.
3)  To create a sense of exclusivity and progress.  You feel good and special when you make money at high tiers, and if you can't play them as often each match becomes more meaningful.

Of course, those only really apply when you're new and still progressing up lines.  Most veteran players play whatever tiers they find fun, because when you're sitting on a pile of credit camos flags and freemiums a little loss on a game here or there is nothing.

[WG-CC]
Wiki Editor, Members
9,100 posts
7,995 battles
1 hour ago, LunchCutter said:

- Service Fee (110k for Fletcher), regardless of whether or not you took damage

- Ammunition costs

- costs for resupplying Premium Consumables and Camos regardless of whether or not you activated them in the match

You can reduce the Service Fee by mounting camoflage and equipping camoflage.

And T9 and T10 having such service fees is required, or else people would spam them even more than they do already.

• Meh 1

[A-D-F]
[A-D-F]
Members
2,353 posts
2 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

Because they SELL premium time and premium camo.

Members
1,101 posts
21,806 battles

Do you think Wargame workers do not pay bills, eat , have house etc etc? What is your age? 11? If you like the game support it. Buy premium time or camo or what you want to keep it running.

Edited by Mikebello
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[4HIM]
Members
3,506 posts
17,820 battles

T9 seems to exist only as an encouragement for players to use FXP to get past.  But the T9's can mount a perma camo that reduces service by 20%.  But the T10's get a perma camo that reduces it by 50%.  So it can cost you less to play a T10 with a perma camo than a T9.  

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Economy#Service_Cost

[MPG]
Members
17 posts
6,413 battles

even though this thread is mainly about t9 and t10 I would like to say I just recently got a couple of t8 ships and the service cost I come to find out is super expensive for me... and I don't think that it should cost that much silver for the service costs and I have seen in previous posts that you can lose a lot of silver I have also lost some silver in my matches and frankly the silver is not worth that much so they should lower the cost of servicing of ships for t8's to 10's it would encourage people to use those ships more often because some people work hard to get to those ships 

Members
6,066 posts
12,421 battles
8 minutes ago, Ragnarok1701 said:

even though this thread is mainly about t9 and t10 I would like to say I just recently got a couple of t8 ships and the service cost I come to find out is super expensive for me... and I don't think that it should cost that much silver for the service costs and I have seen in previous posts that you can lose a lot of silver I have also lost some silver in my matches and frankly the silver is not worth that much so they should lower the cost of servicing of ships for t8's to 10's it would encourage people to use those ships more often because some people work hard to get to those ships 

They (WG) needs to encourage playing lower tiers for silver and to encourage players to buy premium time - costs will not be lowered.  With 1600 games - IMHO - you should not be playing tier 8 yet.  You have a  LOT to learn to do enough damage to gain silver at tier 8. 

[WOLF6]
Members
776 posts
5,786 battles
3 hours ago, Ragnarok1701 said:

If you are a member of a clan that has the fully upgraded dry dock you get a 15% discount off of your service costs and then mount the tier 8 permanent camo which gets you an additional 10% plus the India bravo terrathree signal gets you another 10%. (35% service fee discount) 

then getting a premium account nets you a +50% credits earned for each battle 

As you move up to tier 9 and 10 the permanent camouflage increases the service fee discount to 20% for tier 9 (45% service fee discount) and 50% at tier 10 (75% service fee discount) plus at tier 10 also increases your credits earned by another 20%.

Ive found that with the permanent camo it’s cheaper to play tier 10 than it is at tier 8.

your service costs for tier 7, 8, 9, 10 with premium, camo, signals, and clan bonuses are:

Tier 7 - 27,300 credits vs 42,000 credits

Tier 8 - 48,750 credits vs 75,000 credits 

Tier 9 - 66,000 credits vs 120,000 credits 

Tier 10 - 45,000 credits vs 180,000 credits

Edited by wtfovr

Members
1,059 posts
6,189 battles
On 2/17/2019 at 11:40 PM, LunchCutter said:

T9 sailors expect T9 salaries. T9 rations. T9 smokes. T9 rashers of rum. 110k usd is probably a steal in terms of wages.

Edited by Xanshin

[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
33,660 posts
28,459 battles
5 hours ago, Ragnarok1701 said:

It's to encourage people to dive into lower tiers some to feed the Tier X habit.  You can't sit in Tier X too long unless you're doing some combination of:  Having consistently at least decent games for higher rewards, Premium Acct, Tier X Perma-Camo (massive service cost reduction, but this camo is expensive in doubloons).  There are a rare few Tier X Premium Ships, and Premium Ships have lower servicing costs than their Tech Tree counterparts, as much as half IIRC.  Alaska, Jean Bart, Salem, Missouri are cheap to run.

I remember especially before there was any Tier X Perma-Camo (Yamato was the first in the game to get some) and no High Tier Premiums, this was a normal habit:  Play a few Tier X games, then play a bunch of Mid Tier (V-VII) to compensate the credit loss.  Especially if not running Premium Acct.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PIZZA]
Members
1,165 posts
14,915 battles

I exited WOT just because of high ammo and repair cost. Why? High ammo and repair cost makes people very angry and salty.