You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Codpiece_XI

Anyone think new CV play is terrible?

36 comments in this topic

[-XI-]
Beta Testers
17 posts
11,175 battles

Just curious if anyone thinks the new CV play is terrible? I'm not pleased I lost so many CV's in this transition. I worked a lot of hours to get those. However, besides that I just don't like the new CV play. I enjoyed the top down view, and directing my planes. The new way is confusing, clunky, and just not fun for me. I still like WOW. I just won't play the Cv's. Curious if others have the same view.

• Cool 5
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 3

Members
336 posts
10,113 battles

I wouldn't personally say that it is terrible.  There are some areas that I would like to be a little better, namely the shift in point of aim if a plane is shot down while on a bombing run and replaced with another from the squadron.  It could definitely use some polish.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
14,340 posts

It's much better imo but still needs more balancing to get it right and some QOL changes to improve it. For instance, when you start a DB run it should automatically shift the view down for better aiming.

• Cool 3

Members
135 posts
14 battles

This is no more confusing and clunky as the RTS system. I'm personally enjoying the change as it's more intuitive to me but then I've actually played flight games more complicated than this and I suck at RTS. 

You HAVE to remember though that this is NOT, and I repeat NOT the final balance of the rework. We are never going back to the RTS style (and thank god for that IMO) and that's all there is to it. 

Edited by Nargacugaasae
  • Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[--K--]
Members
5,429 posts
18,821 battles

Depends is the CV Top Tier or is it Bottom Tier. Because if the CV is top tier it can get some work done. But if the CV is bottom tier is a glorified spotting ship. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
8,316 posts
6,958 battles

My response:

Spoiler

:Smile_teethhappy:

And I wasn't even a CV player before the rework. I started my CV grind kind of late, as the announcement for the rework was announced not long after I started it, so I pretty much put it on hiatus until the rework arrived. I barely made to Ryujo before the rework actually dropped, and only because someone explained to me that it would be a good idea to do so due to the removal of odd tier CV's.

I didn't mind the old RTS style of CV's, since I had an experience of playing some RTS games in the past, but I like this reworked style too. I'm actually leaning more toward the reworked version, and I'm honestly surprised at myself on how much I ended up liking it.

Granted, it's not finished and there's still a loooooooooong way to go for balance. But I'm willing to wait, and see where the road leads to.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,473 posts
14,971 battles
13 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

Very few people pre rework CV players consider this an improvement over the RTS system.

FTFY

8 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

It's much better imo but still needs more balancing to get it right and some QOL changes to improve it. For instance, when you start a DB run it should automatically shift the view down for better aiming.

I agree, I am actually enjoying CV's now but it needs some tweaks such as AA modifiers based on tier difference.

[RLGN]
Members
16,868 posts
29,563 battles
18 minutes ago, Nargacugaasae said:

This is no more confusing and clunky as the RTS system. I'm personally enjoying the change as it's more intuitive to me but then I've actually played flight games more complicated than this and I suck at RTS.

That is why both sides hate the opposite thing; players who seem to like the rework hated RTS; I think the rework is total garbage because I can barely use it, (simpler my eye...) and never really had any problems with RTS. (Sure as hell I'm not an iChase or Fara, but RTS never bothered me.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,371 posts
24,763 battles

Yep not a fan.

It is funny though that since the rework  you can have multiple threads stating CVs are OP and UP all on the recent topics list.  The only thing they agree on is they don't like it.

[TNP66]
[TNP66]
Beta Testers
2,554 posts
6,519 battles

After numerous times playing the new CV’s I decided to get a refund on Saipan and Kaga as I just can’t play in this new style as well. I don’t have direct control over my cv and that is just a deal breaker. To top it all off the patch 8.0 was dropped on us as a half-finished patch and even with the hot fixes things still didn’t feel right.

I will hold onto to Enterprize for the time being as it has historical value to it and I can get her to work just fine. This decision was made after multiple attempts to get Kaga and Saipan to work for me in battle. Now I am so frustrated that I will grab Alaska with the free xp I earn with the signals I have left and will save up the coal and grab Yoshino when it comes out.

I am not going to be buying anything until I see Wargaming step back from drastic policy changes such as dumping beta test onto the game again, changing Guilo Cesare without detailing exact changes, and not expecting pushback. It all depends on how they handle future updates as to whether or not I spend money on this game ever again. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
3,497 posts
6,970 battles
4 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

Yep not a fan.

It is funny though that since the rework  you can have multiple threads stating CVs are OP and UP all on the recent topics list.  The only thing they agree on is they don't like it.

They are under powered at delivering a fun experience to the CV player but overpowered in their ability to ruin other people's games.  It's a lose lose type deal.  

• Cool 5

[SIM]
Members
5,916 posts
9,444 battles

I actually love the new CV gameplay, as it actually feels like it belongs in the game, now. What I don’t like is the complete lack of balance. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
5,281 posts
12,191 battles

Let me put it this way -

• I hate RTS games, WoWs actually made an RTS system I could tolerate, and it fit what a CV is perfectly in terms of history - the rework does not WHILE failing to deliver truly entertaining and fun gameplay like my DD's, CA/L or BB. One of many reasons I was against the rework from the start. And I do not like it as it is.
  • I am one of the more amenable anti-rework players and could at least get to a level of TOLERATING it. But there is a lot of things that need changing and 8.0 should have NEVER gone live without AT LEAST a proof of concept event like almost every other damn thing in the game had.
  • The last I saw, unsure if they've recovered at all - RU and EU servers had lost nearly 50% of average number of players, SEA was down about 30%, and NA was up for a while but has been falling back down. 
  • As someone hat liked CV's, played CV's from Alpha when they showed up and still is trying to gather data to fix the damn things at least - I'm no stranger to salt directed at CV's - but the amount and intensity is WAY higher than pre-rework. I'm talking threats of teamkills just for playing the class bad.
  • Reducing it to even tiers only has further caused some of this, as now players do not gradually work their way up and slowly adjust to the meta that changes as you go up tier by tier, so fails even harder at player education and help breeds more salt with "bad" CV players that don't know the meta at higher tiers. 
  • Cool 2

[CNO]
Members
6,802 posts
20,461 battles

I only played a few of the RTS CVs over the years.  I'm having  much fun with the new CVs.  I've played mostly CVs for the past week or so.  Made the grind to T8 IJN.  Almost to the T8 US.  I bought the Siapan a LONG time ago (in anticipation of playing RTS, but never did it) and never played her.  Took her out for the first time today.  

Members
4,501 posts
3,255 battles

I like the new system more. Makes more sense to me, I never could work the RTS system though I tried. 

It's a very subjective thing though

[MPIRE]
[MPIRE]
Beta Testers
1,821 posts
10,838 battles

I've seen a fair number of players in game who like the CV play, but struggle to do well with it and dislike the rework as a whole because of that.  Personally I like my Shokaku and Kaga as of the latest hotfix though I think there's plenty of balance work that needs to be done.  But there's certainly opportunities for depth that could brought out more.  For example, beginning an attack run generally allows you to dodge flak as well as providing significant damage reduction - so it's quite rewarding when you can find drop paths that let you hit multiple targets effectively in succession.

That being said, the problem is those rewarding bits are reliant upon the AA balance.  It took me almost a week with the second hotfix to get to the point where I could reach those "rewarding points" at tier 8.  While I like the idea of reduced alpha, since it was a huge problem, it does pose a problem for the player's enjoyment.   Most ships have a fairly straightforward way of doing big damage that gives new players a goal to chase.  BBs go for cits, DDs go for torps, Cruisers go for both.  Chasing that is what drives player fun and learning when they start.  CVs don't have that.  

[RBMK]
Beta Testers
3,806 posts
14,748 battles

My only real complaints and I hope they do sort this out is having 2 cv in a match, it is simply not needed, also there should be a launch timer on planes so people can actually move off the spawn before they are detected.

One of the new prem British CV was in one of my games and the speed of its planes had them in our spawn before people started moving, it returned moments latter again, so 3 different sets of planes made to our spawn in a matter of 90 seconds.

Other than that rockets seem a bit to accurate on a DD, but its livable, they may change it, and it will be good when they remove RPF from the planes.

So all in all it isn't the end of the world, and having to change your tactics in a DD in a cv game you will have to do, while at times it is annoying, you just have to deal with it for now.

[ARGSY]
Members
2,016 posts
6,271 battles
4 hours ago, Gavroche_ said:

Very few people consider this an improvement over the RTS system.

Speak for yourself and only yourself.

• Cool 2

Members
5,790 posts
11,647 battles

After 2 weeks there are a crap load of threads on the subject in this forum.  And like most everything - some like it, some don't.  Those that don't generally climb on the hysteria/hyperbole bandwagon and are the noisiest.

• Meh 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
15,792 posts

I like the current CV style much better than the RTS style of play. It's much more exciting and fun being in a close-up third person view where you have to dodge flak, calculate attack vectors, and determine fly around and retreat paths in order to save your planes. There's a lot more going on for CV players now, especially as you can no longer insta-delete a ship by overwhelming it with a half-dozen squadrons at once. To make things more challenging, players have actually started to learn how to create overlapping fields of AA fire and to support other players, as should have been done from day one in a warship game.

Edited by Snargfargle