Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
legozer

Udaloi vs Othe T9 DDs in Ranked: Udaloi is a beast!

11 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,619 battles

Before season 11 of ranked started, a few popular contributors wrote off Udaloi as a bad choice for the projected meta based on the fact that she has poor concealment compared to other T9 DDs. It's an evaluation that holds some merit, but in the end, is incorrect.

Udaloi is the king of survivability among T9 DDs, and the longer a DD survives in Arms Race ranked, the more dangerous it becomes. With an already high health pool, adding SE to the captain's skills gives Udaloi 21 950 HP, which is nearly 5000 more HP than a base B Hull Fletcher and over 7000 more HP than a B hull Yugumo. Only the Z-46 boasts more base HP than Udaloi, but the Z-46 is slower and has no RP consumable, which is where Udaloi really separates herself from the rest of the pack in T9 DD survivability. Jutland is the only other DD that can make a case for survivability against Udaloi, as Jutland has a very similar HP pool, and Repair Party; coupled with nearly unlimited smoke charges and hydro acoustic search, Jutland can survive deep into most matches as well. Where Jutland outshines Udaloi is in concealment, though, she loses out badly in the legs game, so this seems like a good point for me to get to my overall argument in favour or Udaloi:

CONCEALMENT IS INSANELY OVERRATED IN THIS META

If concealment were important, Yugumo would be a decent-to-good choice. But, it isn't. In fact, it's mostly hot garbage because.....

SPEED MATTERS

In a meta that is saturated with hard hitting BBs (Mushashi) and DPM monsters (Kitakaze), on small maps where winning buffs means winning games, speed is way more important than concealment. Speed allows DDs to get in and get out. It allows DDs to capture buffs and to get away from a jackpot once they're spotted. Udaloi is the fastest option at T9 (look, Tashkent isn't option, like, at all). It's speed that I feel gives Udaloi an edge over Jutland in the survivability game, as Udaloi can actually take more buffs (which gives her better steering, healing, concealment, consumable reload times, etc) throughout the course of the game. Jutland has no speed boost, and Udaloi can jump to Mach 3. Jutland limps away from engagements at a maximum 34 kts. LOL, no thanks. And radar? Pffft, radar away, Black! Udaloi is the great escape artist, able to outrun radar, kite incoming fire, and survive a spanking almost none the worse for wear.

In the current meta, most DDs are reluctant to push up too far to start the match. Udaloi can afford to take an early spanking and continue to survive late into the game, so I often find myself spotting all the red BBs before anyone over there knows where I am. Further, I'm able to keep the other DDs away from the middle buff, often times capturing it myself.

DAMAGE AND ENGAGEMENTS

Ok, so survivability and speed aside, I believe that the Udaloi  is a great choice because of the SOLID amount of damage it can inflict. 130mm shells that reload in 5 seconds. No need for IFHE. HE shells have an awesome 1900 max damage, and AP hits harder at 2600. Only the Z-46 has harder hitting AP (3000). With shell velocity for both shell types of 900 m/s, Udaloi has shells that get to target in a real hurry...and with better range than Jutland and Z-46. Heavy shells, too, so there's little loss of velocity compared to the others in its tier. She's out DPM'd by almost everyone, though, but I feel that the accuracy of Udaloi's guns and the speed of her shells makes her a very solid option to engage any other DD at tight range. The speed of the ship and the large HP pool means that you can move away to a more comfortable range, hitting Kitakaze, Jutland, Fletcher or Z-46 at will, while they struggle to get their shells to land on you (at this point, I'm excluding Yugumo from the conversation, despite the fact that it's guns are actually pretty impressive).

The torpedo systems on the Udaloi are also pretty impressive. While the torps are a touch on the slow side at 66 kts, they hit pretty hard (14,600 max damage, compared to Z-46's 14,000, Fletcher's insane 19,000, Kitakaze's absurd 23,766, Jutland's 15,533...at 62 kts...everything about Jutland is just so slow!) and the ship can spew forth 15 of them at a time. The torps on Udaloi are surprisingly effective weapons in the ranked meta, more so than in randoms, as BBs become easy targets in the end game stages of each match and DDs usually get improved detectability to work with. So, while other T9 DDs have better torpedo systems, Udaloi still competes, as the torpedo is not as important in ranked as gun power and speed.

Udaloi's range and accuracy, coupled with the ability to ignore IFHE, makes her a demon from hell to BBs. Solid alpha damage from the HE shells and good fire starting chances mean Udaloi captains can rack up damage in BB fires. In closer, AP is lolz against everything. AP in Udaloi and Z-46 really is an awesome thing. Also, did I mention the 15 torpedoes at a time thing yet?

In short, Udaloi is a great choice for ranked, provided the captain knows how to use her speed and survivability to the team's advantage. I have played 70 games in her now, and have survived 35 of them, with a 60% win rate to show for it (that's realllllllly good for me). I'm putting up really respectable damage numbers (remember guys, I'm no unicum), now averaging just over 56k. And my contribution to capture is high, as well. I firmly believe that Udaloi is an excellent bote for average players to find some ranked success with (although better players will likely do better with Kitakaze, and a select few can make Jutland work). Quite frankly, anyone who argues that Udaloi is a bad choice is just, flat out, wrong.

Edited by legozer
  • Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
2,816 posts
16,324 battles

If you know how to fly it it is a good bote

The problem with it it's not the best knife fighter 

Edited by silverdahc

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

interesting take but you used DCP way too many times and none of them correctly.  When referring to Kitakaze you meant DPM or DPS.  When referring to the consumable, DCP is Damage control party i.e. the red fire extinguishers that stop fire/flood and unbreak things not the repair party which restores HP.

Speed is too important in a lot of games as it reduces opponent opportunities while increasing your own.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,619 battles
16 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

interesting take but you used DCP way too many times and none of them correctly.  When referring to Kitakaze you meant DPM or DPS.  When referring to the consumable, DCP is Damage control party i.e. the red fire extinguishers that stop fire/flood and unbreak things not the repair party which restores HP.

Speed is too important in a lot of games as it reduces opponent opportunities while increasing your own.

Yeah, typos. Thanks, I'll edit appropriately.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,619 battles
50 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I suppose it depends on how one defines the knife fight.

As I argued in the original post, Udaloi can actually dictate the terms of engagement, surviving a hard punch in the mouth to move further off and school the Kitakaze, Fletcher or even Z-46 with longer, hard hitting reach, while floating like the proverbial butterfly.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,497 posts
10,853 battles

Haven't seen too many Udalois.  One did have a good game against my team, but ended up dead.  Jutland is my go to DD....she just wrecks other DDs.  I think 1v1 she is the best boat...I use SE and fire AP into any DD that is broadside...melts them.  With the heal and hydro...well its the GC GC GC GC GC GC GC GC GC GC of tier 9 and I think WG should move her to T10 :)

[ARGSY]
Members
1,816 posts
11,619 battles
26 minutes ago, Morpheous said:

Haven't seen too many Udalois

Famu said not to Udaloi, then he admitted to not having one, and then he looked at its stats via tech tree, then he was surprised, then he moved along anyway for some reason, and now Flamu fanbois throw salt at me for having Udaloi, and then I LOLLERCOPTER at their nonsense at end of game.

[FLS]
Alpha Tester
697 posts
3,206 battles

Udaloi (and indeed most of the other RU gunboat destroyers) seems like an absolute beast in the current random meta, since concealment is basically irrelevant, but I never considered taking it into ranked. I might have to give it a shot.

--Helms

[KP]
Members
403 posts
202 battles
On 2/14/2019 at 4:22 PM, silverdahc said:

If you know how to fly it it is a good bote

If you find yourself in a knife fight you are doing it wrong.

[CUTER]
Members
2,671 posts
11,648 battles

Seen a few Udaloi this season.  They see my to be doing good bashing enemy DDs that get spotted, especially with access to a repair party.  As long as the DD heavy meta holds out I think she’s a solid choice.

I haven’t seen a Tashkent though, and with the DD heavy teams it could be strong too.

Sign in to follow this