You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
brewakeg

Best HEAVY CRUISER at Tier V - VII

48 comments in this topic

Members
450 posts
12,985 battles

So I've been sailing in a Fiji with 12 Six Inch gun, and still love it, after 200+ games.   Accumulated a lot of credits, etc. during the Free Premium weekend and from before.   Now I want to try a heavy cruiser (203mm, 8 inch) guns so I don't have to get quite as close and can do more damage.  I'm seeing (in the Tech Tree) a few cruisers, Like the Myoko, that sound good on paper - most of the reload times are 11-14 seconds.   And it would be nice to have torpedoes also, but that is not an absolute requirement.  

Mostly I do Random and co-op now...  

I would work up from a cruiser of a lower tier if it was a nationality that I didn't have experience with.

...so what do you think?   

Thanks in advance for the input!

Members
1,560 posts
3,997 battles
3 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

So I've been sailing in a Fiji with 12 Six Inch gun, and still love it, after 200+ games.   Accumulated a lot of credits, etc. during the Free Premium weekend and from before.   Now I want to try a heavy cruiser (203mm, 8 inch) guns so I don't have to get quite as close and can do more damage.  I'm seeing (in the Tech Tree) a few cruisers, Like the Myoko, that sound good on paper - most of the reload times are 11-14 seconds.   And it would be nice to have torpedoes also, but that is not an absolute requirement.  

I would work up from a cruiser of a lower tier if it was a nationality that I didn't have experience with.

...so what do you think?   

Hood.

• Funny 2

[SGSS]
Members
6,700 posts
4 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

...so what do you think?   

US is very solid. You have angle alot and always keep moving. AA is good and the auto bunch angles are great as well.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,634 posts
17,405 battles

Theres literally only five tech tree CAs in T5-T7. Furu, Aoba, Myoko, Yorck, and NO. Of those, Furu and Aoba are best for their tiers by default, and at T7 the Myoko is probably crapping on the other two after recent buffs...

Oh ya, if you look outside the tech tree there's the Shark Bait too.

EDIT: And Graf Spee!

EDIT2: Oops, forgot pepsi for tech tree ships.

EDIT3: And Algerie :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by pikohan
  • Funny 2

[WOSV]
Members
595 posts
4,217 battles

The USN line is VERY SQUISHY. The Pensacola and New Orleans have good enough guns, but God help you if you get shot at. German Cruisers, the Yorck specifically (since it's the first German Cruiser with 203's) is pretty good. Tanky and hard-hitting. From what I've seen and heard the IJN line is solid as well. No real stinkers in that group. The French line is... okay, I guess? They aren't exactly praised for being really good, but I guess their main thing is speed.

If you're into it, or up for it, once you get through Tier VII, the later ships in those lines are pretty good too. Baltimore is really fun, Mogami is kind of a multi-tool Light/Heavy cruiser, Hipper is decent, and the Martel isn't too bad either.

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Myoko I feel has been good for a long while, especially with the recent buff, but the AP on Indy and New Orleans is nice too. 

[BOTO]
Members
1,476 posts
20,010 battles
6 minutes ago, brewakeg said:

...so what do you think?   

As far as heavy cruisers go, your options are limited from tiers V-VII.

IJN by Tier - V- Furutaka,VI- Aoba, VII - Myoko

USN - VI - Pensacola, VII - New Orleans

KM - VII - York

French - VII - Algerie

Furutaka is very tanky at Tier V and although she only has six slow firing guns with the recent buff they are VERY accurate.  I do well in here.  Aoba is ok at her tier but she isn't as tanky as Furutaka, still only six guns, but they do reload a little faster.  Myoko is very good, 10 guns faster reload, but very squishy.  All of the ships give you long range hard hitting torps.  

Pensacola takes a high skill level to play well.  She can be penned at almost any angle by pretty much anything, her reload is slow and her turrets have painfully slow turret traverse. She does have 10 guns with USN AP that does serious damage though. I don't recommend her unless you want a serious challenge.  New Orleans has better turret traverse, slightly faster reloading guns, and while squishy isn't anywhere near as vulnerable as Pensacola. She's solid at Tier VII, nothing great or bad about her.

York is solid at Tier VII, fairly tanky, has good guns.  Great thing about her is the long range of her guns, which helps a lot especially when bottom tier.

Algerie is similar to York, not as tanky, good guns with good range.  I prefer her over York though, I like the speed boost, longer range torps which are useful from time to time, and the main battery reload booster.

Comparing all the Tier VII offerings I'd give Algerie a slight edge over Myoko just because of her gun range.

I love playing Furutaka at Tier V, her guns are pretty devastating and you can bounce a lot of AP rounds if you stay angled.

[GUYS]
Alpha Tester
2,767 posts
4,246 battles
10 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Theres literally only five tech tree CAs in T5-T7. Furu, Aoba, Myoko, Yorck, and NO. Of those, Furu and Aoba are best for their tiers by default, and at T7 the Myoko is probably crapping on the other two after recent buffs...

Pensacola would like a word. As would Algerie.

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

They both good kiting cruisers. Algerie, despite have less range on the torps, can also use them as an offensive tool. Because of the arcs on most IJN cruisers Myoko's torpedoes will usually be used as a get away present, if not a drive by double tap. New Orleans can be annoying to hit as well.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
14 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

The USN line is VERY SQUISHY. The Pensacola and New Orleans have good enough guns, but God help you if you get shot at. German Cruisers, the Yorck specifically (since it's the first German Cruiser with 203's) is pretty good. Tanky and hard-hitting. From what I've seen and heard the IJN line is solid as well. No real stinkers in that group. The French line is... okay, I guess? They aren't exactly praised for being really good, but I guess their main thing is speed.

I liked Yorck a lot, the only thing is you have to remember that the AP is very situational. It works well at any range.....if you can hit with it. Even though max range is 17+km, and HE is quite usable at that range, 12km was about the farthest out I ever used it, and usually 10km or less. Very big difference in ballistics from HE to AP.

Algerie wasn't especially memorable, but pretty decent, the speed was nice, and the guns, if not spectacular, were pretty reliable.

Members
4,477 posts
4,779 battles

Algerie's HE speed + lower arcs + reload boost at least makes for good destroyer hitting guns. Myoko does more damage per shell though. I think USN CAs have slower HE but faster AP. 

[O_O]
Members
1,090 posts
13,448 battles

Cruisers For me it has to be the IJN(ARP) Myoko class T7....

However, in that Tier id normally play Atlanta any ways....lol 

Members
6,364 posts
8,225 battles
30 minutes ago, pikohan said:

EDIT2: Oops, forgot pepsi for tech tree ships.

EDIT3: And Algerie :Smile_facepalm:

Exeter is in the works as well. :Smile_hiding:

[S197]
Members
22 posts
3,937 battles

my Fav cruisers is the Atlanta and T8 Cleveland...    just play them like a DD and shoot rainbows of fire death over rocks

[SFOR]
Members
996 posts
7,946 battles

Well you are asking for the best heavy cruiser at tier 5 there is only one . The Furutaka, unless you consider the Kirov an heavy cruiser. If you want to wait a little more the Exeter is coming and is going to be the next cruiser King at tier 5.

Well you are asking for the best heavy cruiser at tier 6. Graf Spee. ( but is an odd ship. some people love it, some hate )

Well you are asking for the best heavy cruiser at tier 7. From my experience all are good but the only one i kept was the Myoko.

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
2,282 posts
17,337 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

Myoko has always been exellent.

Second this...they buffed her a bit I recall, been playing these ships again for the Snowflakes and forgot how much fun they are and better!

Members
12,627 posts
14,320 battles
1 hour ago, brewakeg said:

...so what do you think?   

Graf Spee for premium cruisers. Aoba and Myoko for tiers VI-VII and going up from there is pleasant as well.

Tier V tech tree is little more tricky, probably the French tier V Cruiser.

[RLGN]
Members
17,309 posts
31,020 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

Quint is giving them the stink eye, and one shark in particular is saying ‘that right there is mine, you pathetic minnows, amskray,’ so all the other sharks have run away.

[--K--]
Supertester
1,655 posts
17,544 battles

I'd go for the Furutaka/Aoba/Myoko first to get used to using 203s. After that give the Pensacola and New Orleans a spin. They lose torpedoes but get better AP characteristics. 

• Cool 1

[DDMAF]
Members
2,897 posts
16,471 battles

At T5 Kirov is the best heavy cruiser. Great range, hard hitting guns, awesome shell velocity and trajectory, excellent speed and turret angles, respectable AA.  At tier five, 180mm guns are fairly devastating. 

[WOLF9]
Members
4,679 posts

Furutaka is a fun ship at tier 5, once you get the top hull.  VERY good torpedo arcs to go with the 8" guns.   Kirov can easily put a foot in someone's a$$ with those guns, BUT  It's beyond squishy (this is the poster child for glass cannon), and it's torps have a whopping 4 km range.  If you got that close to any red ship, you done screwed up...  A light cruiser can erase Kirov in seconds with AP.

At tier 6, Aoba is the same darn ship as 'Taco, but with a little faster reload- and a LOT worse torpedo arcs.  I got through it, but it wasn't a favorite. (VERY few tier 6 cruisers are tbh, thanks to the -1/+2 mm)

Pensacola is the US cruiser line grind wall.   As others have stated, it needs a very skilled hand to make it sing.  Very unfortunate quality for an introductory CA... Now, it CAN be a nasty little beast, with those 10 guns, but the devs pretty much crippled it to fit it into tier 6.  As much as people complained about it, I greatly preferred the tier 7 version once it got buffed.   VERY squishy- like RN squishy-and it has a huge detection radius, so you'll get detected early and often.   I'd actually recommend skipping, and coming back to it when you've gotten good at playing CA's- it'll save you much frustration.  

Tier 7 is where most lines get their CA's.  All of them are good choices!  Just depends on what works for you, and how you prefer to play.  I ended up gravitating to the US CA's, because I like gun oriented cruisers, and these have very nice guns.   Great AP, and good HE as well.  Excellent AA.   The Germans have not so great HE but it does work, very good AP, and 6km, but fast torpedoes with very usable arcs.  They're also somewhat tankier than the others.  IJN is the opposite- with best in class HE, mediochre AP; tanky bows with squishy sides. (very long exposed citadel), and high damage torpedoes with rather bad arcs.  Frenchies are kind of a middle ground, with longer ranged torps with decent arcs. good guns with a reload booster, and they have speed boosts as well.  They have fairly slow shells, like the US- so expect them to be a bit floaty at long range.

New Orleans

Yorck

Myoko

Algerie

All were favorites.  NO greatly benefitted from being dropped to tier 7, and lost very little save it's radar.   It's my nominal favorite, because I love those guns!

One thing to remember about the French heavy cruisers:  All of them have a knockout button under the B turret in the form of a bit of citadel that IS the outside of the hull.   The tier 8 is incredibly squishy, too.  Brawling and close up work is NOT advised, lol!

A side benefit of the US line, is that there are numerous premium cruisers available- with 2 more CA's in the pipeline, hopefully dropping soon.  Thus, you can boost your top captain with multiple first win bonuses a day, if you wish.   They all share the same playstyle past Pensacola, too, which makes them easy to learn and perform with.

[WOLFG]
Members
34,409 posts
10,768 battles
5 hours ago, legozer said:

At T5 Kirov is the best heavy cruiser. Great range, hard hitting guns, awesome shell velocity and trajectory, excellent speed and turret angles, respectable AA.  At tier five, 180mm guns are fairly devastating. 

I agree with all that, and I really tried to like it, but if going to have that kind of reload, "fairly devastating" doesn't really cut it.

Now, if they buffed reload to 11 sec. or so.....