You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
LuisonatorDragon

I want to buy a premium DD, but...

23 comments in this topic

Members
10 posts
1,202 battles

So, I've been playing this game for... I don't know, some months? I'm at 370 Coop Battles, and at 228 Random Battles (not much of a hardcore PvP), and I focus mostly on USN ships (worked all my way up to the North Carolina, which I love, and experimented with every other branch a little bit). Currently my highest ships are North Carolina, New Orleans and Farragut (stopped using CV's), and I plan to catch up my Heavy Cruiser and DD line up to T8. I recently started to love how DD's work; rush in, be sneaky, punch someone on the face, get out. Simple and extremly fun, though obviously risky lol (but you know, he who doesn't risk doesn't win)...

Anyways, straight to the point now. As I said, I'm not a fan of PvP, I'm more of a casual player. I don't exactly have money for periodical payments for Premium, but I realized I can spend up to $30 on this game, as a way to support it and also bump my Credits/Exp. I got 2 options right now; I can go for the Sims or the Kidd (not interested enough to buy a BB or Cruiser) . I know, both are completely different tiers, but I wanted to have a little bit of input about how these ships perform. I'm currently leaning towards the Sim, as I saw she has 2 torpedo launchers opposed to the Kidd's 1 torpedo launcher, though the Kidd can surpass the Sims in range... So, which ship would you recommend for a casual player to buy and grind out some Credits/Xp? Maybe I'll finally start going to more Random Battles... 

Thank you in advance. 

[HYDRO]
Members
2,426 posts
4,299 battles

I have Kidd which is a fine ship, but in your situation I would recommend Sims. You can use her in Operations too and is quite dependable.

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
62 posts
9,636 battles

Both are fun ships and good USN DD captain trainers. Kidd has heal which is very nice to have.

• Cool 1

Members
175 posts

I don't have her, would want her and the consensus among the 'experts' seems to be..... (drum beats)

T-61

or do that campaign that rewards you with the Shinonome - equally excellent

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
901 posts

Sims over Kidd but neither recommended, a few others to take a look at:

1.  T-61 - may be the best Tier VI DD in game.  It is a different country - but worth it in my opinion

2.  Cossack - a bit above stated price range, but worth it also - only one torp launcher but fast reload, good guns and has a speed boost.

3.  Atlanta - not a DD, but fun with 16 x 5" barrels.  Will do fine for a DD captain trainer also.

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Members
587 posts
5,988 battles

Kidd or Lo-yang would be my first picks. Quite a few nice DDs but those 2 are really stellar.

Kidd gets that AA plus that Heal, Lo-yang gets the Hydro which is borderline broken tbh.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
756 posts
13,347 battles

Don't forget, his play not focused on PvP. I would recommend neither of those, but I have a playstyle bias. I myself would recommend giving Anshan for tier VI or Leningrad for tier VII a try. They are also much more optimal for Coop and Operations as well.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,075 posts
10,501 battles

Atlanta, it is like a DD with a citadel.:Smile_hiding::Smile-_tongue::Smile_hiding:

For the serious answer since you have focused on the US I suggest the Sims because it won't get dragged into tier 10 matches.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,025 posts
13,483 battles
45 minutes ago, LuisonatorDragon said:

So, I've been playing this game for... I don't know, some months? I'm at 370 Coop Battles, and at 228 Random Battles (not much of a hardcore PvP), and I focus mostly on USN ships (worked all my way up to the North Carolina, which I love, and experimented with every other branch a little bit). Currently my highest ships are North Carolina, New Orleans and Farragut (stopped using CV's), and I plan to catch up my Heavy Cruiser and DD line up to T8. I recently started to love how DD's work; rush in, be sneaky, punch someone on the face, get out. Simple and extremly fun, though obviously risky lol (but you know, he who doesn't risk doesn't win)...

Anyways, straight to the point now. As I said, I'm not a fan of PvP, I'm more of a casual player. I don't exactly have money for periodical payments for Premium, but I realized I can spend up to $30 on this game, as a way to support it and also bump my Credits/Exp. I got 2 options right now; I can go for the Sims or the Kidd (not interested enough to buy a BB or Cruiser) . I know, both are completely different tiers, but I wanted to have a little bit of input about how these ships perform. I'm currently leaning towards the Sim, as I saw she has 2 torpedo launchers opposed to the Kidd's 1 torpedo launcher, though the Kidd can surpass the Sims in range... So, which ship would you recommend for a casual player to buy and grind out some Credits/Xp? Maybe I'll finally start going to more Random Battles... 

Thank you in advance. 

As you being mainly a co- op player, buy Kidd.

Tier 7 AA is bugged.

Tier 8 makes more income.

KIDD has a heal.

• Cool 1

Members
10 posts
1,202 battles

To those recommending me ships from other countries, would those ships help me with grinding xp for USN, or does the xp stay with their current countries? Because if it doesn't help... 

(not that I'm not going to take those suggestions into account, you're the experienced players)

Edited by LuisonatorDragon

[-GS-]
Members
12 posts
821 battles

Like you, I’m a noob. I have the Farragut, very fun and enjoyable. I just picked up the Sims, a little beast, and extremely fun to play. It’s also an excellent trainer. If you like the Farragut, you’ll likely love the Sims. The Kidd is tempting, but the potential for higher tier play, coupled with lower experience (both player and crew), may lead to disenfranchisement.

[RLGN]
Members
9,640 posts
19,114 battles

Sims; long smoke for much pewpews, and bots don’t torp smoke. Torps for when a bot actually gets close. Very good in Dynamo Op.

Kidd; T8 Fletcher with a heal, and one less torp launcher. Not a big deal as long as you’re good with smoke and your guns, but you may see T10, even in Co-op.

Members
1,585 posts
13,496 battles

I have both - from where you are in the game would suggest the Sims, good captain trainer for US lines, new torp ranges are good - keeps you out of Tier 10 battles and my understanding the Sims generates more experience then average - which works out well in co-op or randoms.  

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,075 posts
10,501 battles
12 minutes ago, LuisonatorDragon said:

To those recommending me ships from other countries, would those ships help me with grinding xp for USN, or does the xp stay with their current countries? Because if it doesn't help... 

(not that I'm not going to take those suggestions into account, you're the experienced players)

No they don't help you with the US so you are looking at the Sims or the Kidd and you already have my suggestion a few posts up.

• Cool 1

[RTXN]
Beta Testers
901 posts
19 minutes ago, LuisonatorDragon said:

In my opinion, you are wasting your money on Sims or Kidd - but ultimately it is your money.

Just think you would be better served using your money for something other than those 2 (suggestions above).....or maybe purchasing doubloons to get to Mahan/Benson/Fletcher quicker?

• Cool 1

Members
10 posts
1,202 battles

Well Kidd seems to be unpopular so far lol. I'll count all the suggestions (Sims, Kidd, and have to count the other suggestions as 'Others' too), then decide tomorrow after some more people comment. SO far Sims is winning with Others close behind. 

P.S. Dude that suggested me the T-61, now you're tempting me to buy it and ditch those other two lol

Edited by LuisonatorDragon

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,025 posts
13,483 battles

I believe Kidd is on sale.

But Sims as a greater sp modifier. Better than any other premium, and is in tier 7 sweet spot.

• Cool 1

[SCREW]
Members
587 posts
5,988 battles
17 hours ago, LuisonatorDragon said:

The XP earned on any premiums wont help you grind a specific Nation of ships, the XP is stocked up on the ship until you decide to spend GOLD to convert it to free XP (that can be used on ANY ship)

The advantage you'd get by getting a USN premium (DD or otherwise) is that you can use your USN commanders with it to gain more commander XP, other than that the nation of the ship is a non-issue. The advantage you'd get by getting a non-USN ship is that you'd be able to train up a commander for that nation before starting to grind that nation, so you dont start with a skill-less commander.

So, Kidd or Sims if you want to boost your USN commanders, Lo-yang or T-61 if you want to get a head start with either Pan-asian or German commanders.

Kidd and lo-yang are both Benson class DDs with their own little quirks, Lo-yang is basically a C hull benson (its actually THE benson) with hydro, whereas the Kidd is a benson that gets heal and an AA that'll make CV's cry (but you give up a torpedo launcher for that AA)

Lots of people recommending the Sims, it's OK, it has a magic XP modifier that lets it score boat loads of XP even on mediocre game, and it was recently buffed or is about to be buffed I dont remember if they squeezed that into the updates yet, but overall I always found it to be a pretty mediocre offering game-play wise.

Edited by Sethanas

Members
10 posts
1,202 battles

All right, decided to settle with purchasing a Sims (end of the month, gotta wait to get paid on my new job). Thanks all for the suggestions, really appreciated!

[WOLF6]
Members
74 posts
4,078 battles

The Sims was my first premium ship. It’s fast, you can use def fire in place of smoke and the torps were just buffed. I still use it to this day with my Fletcher commander. It was how I got my first 19 point commander. I play mostly US ships except those I received in Christmas crates. DDs are my favorite. If you ever get a chance to get another premium then get the Atlanta next. Another fun ship that DDs hate. Have fun with your choice. 

[-TNT-]
Members
626 posts
8,006 battles

If you're wanting an all round DD for tier 7 the Sims well  fit your play style. I have both Sims and Kidd.  The Kidd is serious 
NO FLY ZONE. So much so, in one random match, I had two Lexington's trying to kill me.  It was after 37th plane down they gave up on me and looked for easier targets.  I usually attach myself with BBs since CVs seem to focus on them.

What makes the Kidd special is her 40 mm quad BoFors 2 x 4