You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Tier II destroyers

15 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

Trying to find a Tier to play destroyers where CV are not present I could only find Tier II and occasionally Tier III. I know I am missing several interesting destroyers in higher tiers but with all those annoying planes around I can't contest caps and spot anything because I am detected and destroyed in a matter of seconds by enemy ships. Call me whatever you want but I rather prefer to play this game in a period of history where the naval battles where decided by warships and not by planes. This bring me back to Russo-Japanese War and First World War. I admit I lack of skills to play with destroyers as the game is at this moment and I can't deal with situational awareness reading the minimap to study the position of every enemy ship and at the same time trying to avoid the huge amount of planes that a single CV has. I think I can be a better help and a better support to my team if I play in a period where I can understand the naval warfare better and make a better contribution to my team. Sometimes Tier II games are boring because of the lack of enough available players, but at least I can do any better than being frustrated to do anything but being destroyed by planes or enemy ships that fire at me because I am spotted by air.

My intention is to immerse in lowest tier battles and deeply understand how these destroyers work and make them work, studying all the stats, weapons, and deeply knowing the ships and its capabilities, along with the enemy ships I have to face at Tier II and Tier III: other destroyers, cruisers, battleships (yes, no CVs!!!). So, I took a look at the Wargaming global wiki and these are the destroyers I found to play at Tier II (please add if any of them is missing):

Umikaze (Japan)

Tachibana (Japan)

Tachibana Lima (Japan)

Sampson (USA)

Smith (USA)

Storozhevoi (USSR)

V-25 (Germany)

Medea (UK)

Longjiang (Pan-Asia)

I have 9 destroyers to choose, I can pay for a premium destroyer, this wouldn't be a problem at all. I would rather prefer a balance between guns and torpedoes or a pure gunboat, but I can learn every destroyer of the list. Modules and captain skills wouldn't be a problem, I have more than enough competent captains to put skills on him. Which Tier II destroyers would you recommend to play with?

• Cool 2

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,634 posts
16,729 battles

They are all pretty good if you know how to play them. DDs are relatively stronger at low tiers because the other ships don't really have the tools to deal with them (hydro, radar, accuracy...).

Statistically the Tachibana is the best, and the Medea is the worst, but it may be that there are more good players in the Tachibana (because not everyone has a dedicated T2 clubber with a dedicated captain).

Personally, I usually play the Tachibana at T2 as well due to the aforementioned reason.

[RLGN]
Members
16,596 posts
28,975 battles
19 minutes ago, pikohan said:

(because not everyone has a dedicated T2 clubber with a dedicated captain.)

Like my 19 point Akizuki driver...

[WORX]
Members
14,131 posts
20,578 battles

It all depends on what DD you want to use. If your in a torp training ship, the v-170 is the best ship to rain you how to torp.

The clemson is the best gun ship.

Some prefer the Vampire.

Low tier games are entertaining then the high tiers.  Mid tiers...

Tier 4 CVs are not that bad really. Must can't aim. nor do they know how to move out the way. WHere ever you can find fun, Enjoy !

[USCG]
Members
798 posts
24,469 battles

Umikaze is a great stealth DD and will teach you the joys of IJN torps.  Don't forget you have some guns on her as well.  I see many Umikaze drivers just drive in circles waiting for their torps to reload when they could finish off a ship with their guns.  You have them, use them!

Tachibana (if you want to spend a few bucks) is another strong IJN candidate and as others have mentioned you can drop one of your higher skilled captains on her and go clubbing.

V-25 is a fun ship, good stealth and the bow torps are a nice change of pace.

Storozhevoi was my first DD and I cut my DD teeth on her.  Not the best torps (range wise) but she has great guns which is the backbone of Russian DDs.

For T3 DDs, my "go-to" is the Vampire but I don't think she is available for purchase.  If she even comes up again, grab her because she is wonderful!

[O_O]
Members
7,118 posts
17,777 battles

In order to escape CV's, you are going to subject yourself to plain awful tier 2 MM.  Tier 2 is badly underpopulated.  I decided to play Albany yesterday as I was admiring her in port, and realized I hadn't played it in forever.  After over a minute in queue, I got into a 3v3 game.  One cruiser and two destroyers per team.  Then I had to dodge red torps and green ones.

Some tier 2 ships may be great fun to play, but tier 2 games tend not to be.

Members
14 posts
712 battles

i like the Medea and also the Longjiang they are very strong IMOP.

I only just started with the medea; 4 games but we won 3 of them!

the trouble i'm having is the MM. now at level 14 it seems like more 5 on 5 matches with lots of DD's so a PA DD cant use torps. mostly only guns. 

tier 2 MM takes a long time so i play more tier 3 now. not to often a cv shows up but i have noticed lately more are.

just my noob opinion

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,634 posts
16,729 battles
11 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Like my 19 point Akizuki driver...

That's not a dedicated clubber :Smile_teethhappy:

[RLGN]
Members
16,596 posts
28,975 battles
8 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

In order to escape CV's, you are going to subject yourself to plain awful tier 2 MM.  Tier 2 is badly underpopulated.  I decided to play Albany yesterday as I was admiring her in port, and realized I hadn't played it in forever.  After over a minute in queue, I got into a 3v3 game.  One cruiser and two destroyers per team.  Then I had to dodge red torps and green ones.

Some tier 2 ships may be great fun to play, but tier 2 games tend not to be.

Play Albany and her like (Diana, Emden,) in Co-op.

Plenty of targets, especially if you’re a good driver who knows the bots, and not like you’re going to lose money or anything.

5 minutes ago, pikohan said:

That's not a dedicated clubber :Smile_teethhappy:

Maybe, but it’s +700 hp!

Members
13 posts
832 battles

I kept my Umikaze for fun play. However, the likelihood is good that you’ll be placed in a not so fun match. Just last night, I found myself in a miserable 3 v 3 game. But, on occasion, when the player count is high, you can end up in epic matches. Don’t let the CV thing give you angst. The matches are getting better as everyone adapts.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

The last time I played my Tachibana, I got 6 kills...in a 6v6 battle.  So, yeah--she's my favorite, particularly if you can get her on a 99 cent sale.

Honestly, all the tier 2 destroyers are both fun to play and very (over)powerful with a skilled captain in them.  The only one I might skip would be the Longjiang, simply because you tend to see a lot of destroyers in tier 2 battles and having torpedoes that can't hit them is kind of a downer.  V-25 is a favorite for many people during private training room battles because of the front-firing torpedoes and ridiculous maneuverability.

Members
1,185 posts

Another vote for Tachibana.  Although known for its fast-reloading torps, it’s a good hybrid if you can get your guns on target. Getting within shooting distance however...

IIRC, Tachibana has the smallest gun caliber in the game... Has anyone analyzed the effect of IFHE for the Tachibana? If your guns DO pen a ship, you can wreck them pretty fast.

P.S. I know you prefer gunboats, but the Umikaze has crazy long-range torps: 8 km at Tier 2!! It’s a good boat for learning to stealth torp.

Edited by n00bot