Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
thunderball2

Iowa V. Bismarck. Who do you prefer?

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

296
[PQUOD]
Members
1,074 posts
7,693 battles
4 minutes ago, thunderball2 said:

I have to buy a new BB.  Either Iowa or Bismarck.  Which one do you prefer and why?

Iowa, one of the fastest BB's in the game. 16" high velocity rifles with good grouping. Excellent dual purpose secondaries. Very good AA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,481
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles
8 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Iowa, one of the fastest BB's in the game. 16" high velocity rifles with good grouping. Excellent dual purpose secondaries. Very good AA

Bismark, one tier lower, poor dispersion, smaller caliber guns.

(Go with Iowa)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
652
[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,645 posts
2,633 battles

For a strong ship for her tier, go Iowa. And if you are pushing for a good tier 10. For fun, go Bismark. Especially if it's your first time with over 10km secondaries

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,481
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles
9 minutes ago, Don_Alvarez said:

Nothing cures DDiarrhea and upset stalingrad like Pepto Bismarck.

Mass does it better; welcome to power creep.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,263
[SALVO]
Members
18,347 posts
18,923 battles

Honestly, I probably enjoyed the Bismarck more than the Iowa.  That's not to say that the Iowa's a bad BB, because it's not.  I just could never warm up to it for some reason, while I loved the mighty Bismarck.  Of course, I ground through the Bismarck back when it was a shiny new toy, and it hadn't arguably been power crept.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,267
[WOLF7]
Members
10,784 posts
12 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Mass does it better; welcome to power creep.

French do it better as well, haven't really played the Bismark in awhile, Richy, Alsace, JB and Repub are just far more fun.

And +1 for  power creep is real.

Edited by awiggin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,736
[RLGN]
Members
9,435 posts
18,852 battles
12 minutes ago, awiggin said:

French do it better as well, haven't really played the Bismark in awhile, Richy, Alsace, JB and Repub are just far more fun.

And +1 for  power creep is real.

Except I’d rather use Normandie than any of the rest of those.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,369
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,376 posts
15,868 battles

Iowa-class guns are relevant in every match.  Smartly played, they are powerful in a brawl situation if the user knows how to protect the ship.  If the range of fighting is long ranged, as is common in Tier X games, the USN 16" guns of Tier IX-X are powerful and accurate.  When I play my High Tier Cruisers, the Iowa-class BB guns demand a lot of respect because of their power and accuracy.  More importantly, due these being 406mm guns, they will Overmatch the 27mm bows of High Tier USN & German Cruisers, whereas those same ships will bounce 380mm and smaller AP off the bow.

 

Bismarck's guns and focus on secondaries are great when she's Top Tier but in Tier IX-X games, not quite.

 

Bismarck will get the occasional bone thrown her way for her to munch on Tier VI-VII ships.  The idea of Bismarck running down a 21kt Tier VI BB that cannot angle effectively against 380mm AP, cannot outrun it, and dealing with long range Bismarck Secondaries is LOL-Worthy.  But if stuck in a Tier X match, that Bismarck Secondary Spec and woeful gun reliability makes her frustrating.

 

Iowa is a Tier IX and expects to almost always face Tier X.  Yes, it's hilarious when Tier IX BBs get to stomp on Tier VII, but that's not the norm for them.  Those USN 16" American Piercing Shells crashing into things like Nelson for Big Citadel Hits will never get old.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[WOLF6]
Members
468 posts
5,394 battles

Power , speed , stealth and good AA , it's Iowa hands down . Bismarck is great for those missions requiring secondary hits and it's fun to play  except when uptiered   . Gotta go with Iowa overall .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
86
[-TNT-]
Members
461 posts
7,325 battles
On 2/12/2019 at 4:31 PM, thunderball2 said:

I have to buy a new BB.  Either Iowa or Bismarck.  Which one do you prefer and why?

Iowa my friend!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
120
[MOH]
Members
441 posts
1,716 battles

I had a lot more fun in the Bismarck than I did the Iowa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,369
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
17,376 posts
15,868 battles

Bismarck's great when she's top tier stomping on 21kt BBs who get overmatched all over the place by 380mm AP.  She can run over those slow 21kt BBs and let the long range secondaries have their way with them.

 

But that strength is meaningless in a Tier IX-X game.  Most of the time it's 15km+.  There are many High Tier BBs that are very proficient at range and have the speed to not get run over by 30kt BBs, or at the very least draw the chase out where it becomes costly to keep up the pursuit.  Long Range Secondaries are great to have, but in High Tier, it's not as important.

 

Which is where Iowa's speed, good enough protection (waterline citadel), very proficient guns for all ranges, and AA shine over Bismarck.

 

Not to mention the recent Tech Tree USN BB Line buffs.  Iowa got a buffed repair party as well as improved rudder shift.  This isn't a contest at all.  But you guys already know this if you've played High Tier matches.  Bismarck / Tirpitz are sitting there useless for most of the match.  Iowa's guns are singing the entire time and are still dangerous threats even with the long ranged fighting that permeates High Tier.  Again, this isn't a contest at all.

 

Iowa is much more relevant to the High Tier fighting than Bismarck.  And if a CV is present, even more so.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
120
[MOH]
Members
441 posts
1,716 battles
16 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Bismarck's great when she's top tier stomping on 21kt BBs who get overmatched all over the place by 380mm AP.  She can run over those slow 21kt BBs and let the long range secondaries have their way with them.

But that strength is meaningless in a Tier IX-X game.  Most of the time it's 15km+.  There are many High Tier BBs that are very proficient at range and have the speed to not get run over by 30kt BBs, or at the very least draw the chase out where it becomes costly to keep up the pursuit.  Long Range Secondaries are great to have, but in High Tier, it's not as important.

Which is where Iowa's speed, good enough protection (waterline citadel), very proficient guns for all ranges, and AA shine over Bismarck.

Not to mention the recent Tech Tree USN BB Line buffs.  Iowa got a buffed repair party as well as improved rudder shift.  This isn't a contest at all.  But you guys already know this if you've played High Tier matches.  Bismarck / Tirpitz are sitting there useless for most of the match.  Iowa's guns are singing the entire time and are still dangerous threats even with the long ranged fighting that permeates High Tier.  Again, this isn't a contest at all.

Iowa is much more relevant to the High Tier fighting than Bismarck.  And if a CV is present, even more so.

I would agree with you on the Bismarck.  While I enjoyed her a lot more than my first run with the Iowa, it's all too easy to compare her to the Massachusetts, which is a much better brawler.  Not to mention, Massachusetts performs better when bottom tier too, as she has more tools to do damage to high tier targets.

My biggest gripe with the Bismarck is that without IFHE for her secondaries, she is all but a pure gunboat against T8+ targets.  And without her secondaries, Bismarck is pretty laughable lol.  I really wish they would give the Bismarck/Tirpitz the 1/4 pen treatment on their 105mm battery.  That would GREATLY improve the viability for Bismarck to function when bottom tiered.  I know it really helped the FDG out a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×