Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

The thing that I don't really like in 0.8.0.2, Anti-Air Inflation

6 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,163
[SYN]
Members
14,740 posts
11,090 battles
Spoiler

shot-19_02.11_16_41.58-0578.thumb.jpg.1f63f2ca785921504ace299092ae6ae2.jpgshot-19_02.11_16_48.13-0421.thumb.jpg.21da42c576c819f81b276ecd2ffa726e.jpg

Okay, now, it's pretty well understood that, generally, Anti-Air armament increases as you go up the tiers and this part is fine.

What I don't understand is why the flak puffs also need to increase in damage.

The thing is, flak puffs typically increase in number as you go up in tiers, as does the constant tic damage, but what is the justification of flak puffs being even deadlier?

  • Constant tic: Mostly related to number of AA guns
  • Number of Flak puffs: Somewhat related to number of DP guns available
  • Flak puff damage: ???

So, in a setup like this, what you get is that being bottom tier is overly punishing, whilst being top tier gets a much easier time.
There is not one, not two, but three points of inflation in AA from the ships alone. Arguably, there is even a fourth, range.
Such a setup reminds me of WoT and its issues with being bottom tier in certain tanks.

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,536
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
3,868 posts
9 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

shot-19_02.11_16_41.58-0578.thumb.jpg.1f63f2ca785921504ace299092ae6ae2.jpgshot-19_02.11_16_48.13-0421.thumb.jpg.21da42c576c819f81b276ecd2ffa726e.jpg

Okay, now, it's pretty well understood that, generally, Anti-Air armament increases as you go up the tiers and this part is fine.

What I don't understand is why the flak puffs also need to increase in damage.

The thing is, flak puffs typically increase in number as you go up in tiers, as does the constant tic damage, but what is the justification of flak puffs being even deadlier?

  • Constant tic: Mostly related to number of AA guns
  • Number of Flak puffs: Somewhat related to number of DP guns available
  • Flak puff damage: ???

So, in a setup like this, what you get is that being bottom tier is overly punishing, whilst being top tier gets a much easier time.
There is not one, not two, but three points of inflation in AA from the ships alone. Arguably, there is even a fourth, range.
Such a setup reminds me of WoT and its issues with being bottom tier in certain tanks.

I've been hammering this same general issue pretty hard.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
301
[LHG]
Members
1,274 posts
5,299 battles

Because flak puffs need to do more damage to planes that have more health, but the number of them can't increase by too much lest there be impassable sky walls.

If you want to reduce the flak scaling, you'll also have to address plane health scaling, which probably isn't a bad idea anyways.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,163
[SYN]
Members
14,740 posts
11,090 battles
42 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

Because flak puffs need to do more damage to planes that have more health, but the number of them can't increase by too much lest there be impassable sky walls.

If you want to reduce the flak scaling, you'll also have to address plane health scaling, which probably isn't a bad idea anyways.

I think the plane HP/armor scaling is a good idea, in fact I've suggested it myself.

Since it is a good idea, there is a big chance WG won't use it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,399
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,014 posts
9,999 battles
50 minutes ago, Flashtirade said:

lest there be impassable sky walls.

I’ll take “Historic USN BB and cruiser AA suites after 1943” for $400 Alex. :Smile-_tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
266 posts
3,882 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:
  Reveal hidden contents

shot-19_02.11_16_41.58-0578.thumb.jpg.1f63f2ca785921504ace299092ae6ae2.jpgshot-19_02.11_16_48.13-0421.thumb.jpg.21da42c576c819f81b276ecd2ffa726e.jpg

Okay, now, it's pretty well understood that, generally, Anti-Air armament increases as you go up the tiers and this part is fine. So, in a setup like this, what you get is that being bottom tier is overly punishing, whilst being top tier gets a much easier time.

Clearly, they made significant strides with the last two hot patches, but WG definitely needs to do more tweaking to the balance especially with up tiering. Hopefully they'll look at and reconsider things like this. Presently when your top tier it is so dramatically different than at bottom tier it is too significant and impacts game play more greatly than with any other ship class.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×