You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Elo_J_Fudpucker

Now I understand...

31 comments in this topic

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles

I was just watching the live stream with the dev head of balancing, who admitted that he spend most of his day in excel and does not play on the live servers.

Any questions about how and why we are where we are now?

• Cool 7
  • Funny 3
  • Bad 7
  • Angry 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,288 posts
10,452 battles

What would happen if he played a lot but was bad? Or biased for a class or a nation?

What if he was really good at a class?

Think about it.

Data is the only thing I want the head of balancing to concerned with.

• Cool 8
  • Bad 2

[CNK]
[CNK]
Members
98 posts
11,025 battles
13 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

I was just watching the live stream with the dev head of balancing, who admitted that he spend most of his day in excel and does not play on the live servers.

He did seem very out of touch with the player base and a bad choice to put him in a live stream.

It's painful to watch and hear as they are all on different volume levels and were playing only premium CVs.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles
20 minutes ago, paradat said:

Data is the only thing I want the head of balancing to concerned with.

If the game stops being fun because the only people programming it, do not play it, how is this helping....  it would be like the head of quality in a restaurant never eating the food... ??? 

They specifically ASKED about the game being fun.... but I do not think they want to hear the answer...

• Cool 2

[YORHA]
Members
3,795 posts
6,596 battles
6 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

If the game stops being fun because the only people programming it, do not play it, how is this helping....  it would be like the head of quality in a restaurant never eating the food... ??? 

They specifically ASKED about the game being fun.... but I do not think they want to hear the answer...

You realise "fun" is a subjective concept, right?

Also I very much doubt the head of balancing is a even programmer.  That would be like hiring a Lawyer that only has a degree in Accounting.  

People seem to be looking, very hard, for things to be upset about.

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 3

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,288 posts
10,452 battles
7 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Not to worry. He is not alone in a closet. Plenty of input from Devs and Designers that are playing for fun. Fun is always part of the discussion. 

Not sure about you but I am certainly having fun playing the game.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles
3 minutes ago, JCC45 said:

People seem to be looking, very hard, for things to be upset about.

Turn it around to .. I am already unhappy with WG and am looking for reasons that they act and do not act the way they do and don't....

The Cross server test was a joke... the CV change has been totally messed up ... it seems to be one situation after another 100% caused by Wg themselves.... as if they want and enjoy the chaos...  they repeatedly seem tobe able to hit a nerve with the base time after time, and then seem to not be able to understand why, nor acknowldge that people deserve to be upset with them... while they say they want feedback, they don't actually seem to hear any of it...

Members
851 posts
5,266 battles
6 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Turn it around to .. I am already unhappy with WG and am looking for reasons that they act and do not act the way they do and don't....

If you are doing nothing but trying to justify why you dislike playing or the direction the game is going then you are going to do nothing but keep finding it no matter how small and petty.

• Cool 3

[LOU1]
Members
3,394 posts
9,074 battles

Sub_Octavian, one of the leaders, has spent an inordinate amount of his own time trying to acknowledge player feelings and interact with us.

Keep in mind that whatever they do will hit a nerve with some part of the player base.

To me, the worst thing they could do would be to do nothing.

Players might find it interesting to watch the entire series of Develper Diaries on youtube.  They started before the game went into Alpha.  From them, you would see that WOWS has been continually building towards a particular set of goals and has shifted course many times based on in-game results and player surveys/comments.

I found it interesting that the number of players has been stable throughout the years and it seems there has been an upspike the last several days.

Edited by ExploratorOne
  • Cool 1

Members
702 posts
Just now, khorender_1 said:

If you are doing nothing but trying to justify why you dislike playing or the direction the game is going then you are going to do nothing but keep finding it no matter how small and petty.

Yea!!!!!

If you don’t love it...don’t spend money on it.

Members
702 posts
1 minute ago, ExploratorOne said:

Sub_Octavian, one of the leaders, has spent an inordinate amount of his own time trying to acknowledge player feelings and interact with us.

keep in mind that whatever they do will hit a nerve with some part of the player base.

Sounds kinda cultish

[WOLFC]
Members
368 posts
5,091 battles
4 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

People do seem to enjoy the complaining...

[LOU1]
Members
3,394 posts
9,074 battles
3 minutes ago, Toxic_Potato said:

Sounds kinda cultish

It is.  As one of the leads he is passionate about the game, as most of the WOWS team is.  Personally, I see WG and WOWS as being two different animals.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,385 battles
4 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

keep in mind that whatever they do will hit a nerve with some part of the player base.

This is something people should pay attention to.

Wargaming can't please everyone, and things will be worse if they try to do so.

Beta Testers
374 posts
8,822 battles

So this game plays about as fun as an excel spreadsheet...
Can confirm it is about as fun as playing an excel spreadsheet

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
814 posts
9,866 battles
2 minutes ago, Azzura said:

Oh yeah I'm about to open up a new column, nice!

...now to put them in alphabetic order... this is awesome!!!11!1

• Funny 1

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles
21 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

Not here.. not on this resource... no one for WG actually interacts with anyone on the NA forum. Please site examples of where I can see this in action. ..seriously. I want to read it.

• Angry 1

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles
25 minutes ago, khorender_1 said:

Wait.. I am wrong either way... boy i that convenient for you... troll.

Why is it you  have to attack any messenger that comes in here with something challenging or negative about WG ..???  Any time someone has an issue , the OP gets attacked and the issue gets left behind... can no one hold a conversation with out attacking people?

• Angry 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,489 posts
10,183 battles
1 hour ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

That is the norm with most games, the people doing the development are just too damn busy to actually play very much.

Members
851 posts
5,266 battles
13 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

Wait.. I am wrong either way... boy i that convenient for you... troll.

Why is it you  have to attack any messenger that comes in here with something challenging or negative about WG ..???  Any time someone has an issue , the OP gets attacked and the issue gets left behind... can no one hold a conversation with out attacking people?

I am just using the words you used, I didn't defend them I said YOU will do nothing but find fault because THAT"S exactly what you are doing.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,465 battles
33 minutes ago, Azzura said:

Hey, Excel used to have Flight Simulator in it!

• Cool 1

Members
20,815 posts
5,614 battles
50 minutes ago, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

it would be like the head of quality in a restaurant never eating the food... ??? 

Not a good example. The "head of quality" in a restaurant is also the head chef. As such, he knows how a given dish made with specific ingredients is supposed to taste. If there's any "personal touches" involved, they will be biased towards his tastes, not that of some random person, or averaged so that the majority of diners will like it.

That's the problem with WG people testing balance changes. It would be the same as if you plucked random players from the server, and had those same players test everything.

Assuming the job is done right, you're going to end up with balancing that caters to the biases of the people doing the testing. If all of them are poor to mediocre CV players, then chances are that the CVs will be OP in the hands of even a decent player. Let unis do all the balance testing, and if you're not at least blue, you'll be lucky to even get near a ship, let alone attack it.

That's why we need the PTS for a lot of bigger changes. Because matches contain a bewildering variety of ship configs, team lineups, and individual skill levels, you can't balance very well with the same limited group of testers. And for something as big as the CV rework, PTS is still too limited for proper results.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,812 posts
1,529 battles

So now the OP is trying to tell the game company how to run their game?  

You are a player, not a WG executive.

The guy with his head in an Excel spreadsheet is just one guy in an office of several people.  He has his task, others have other tasks, and those include fun, and talking to people.  

[WAG]
Members
1,497 posts
8,528 battles
1 hour ago, mavfin87 said:

The guy with his head in an Excel spreadsheet is just one guy in an office of several people. 

.... like i said.. attack the poster and not the subject... but you go on..

and he is not "some guy" he is the head developer in the balance department.

My sense of who they are and how they get it done does not change by belittling my opinion, but it does say a lot about the posters in this thread.  Have some respect for others, eh?

..and to whit, there is a reason people do not participate here... the caustic  bullying of posters doesn;'t make it a place where anyone would want to hang out... yeah... I think I am done with this mess... thanks for helping me make up my mind... :)

• Bad 1