You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zenn3k

Option to use HE bombs.

54 comments in this topic

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles

I'd like consideration on giving players choice to use AP or HE bombs across all CVs.   

Personally, I find AP bombs to be very bad.   They are worthless against DDs (while HE bombs wreck them).   They still do bad damage even with they citadel, making the risk/reward system of them skewed badly.    CVs right now depend on Fires/Floods to do the majority of the damage, thats mostly my goal when I play, to get one of those two things to stick on a target.   HE bombs have great fire change, its almost a guaranteed fire if you make a good strike.    While I know the "repairable damage" aspect is a thing, the AP damage, even when it citadels just isn't enough to be worth it.   I'd rather force out damage control and a heal then get one citadel AP strike, every time.

I was eager to be able to buy Enterprise when the premium CVs are re-released for purchase, because I love the history of that ship, its name, its connection to culture, etc etc....but it has AP bombs.   Thats a NO SALE on that fact alone.    Being able to swap in useful HE bombs for my useless AP ones would secure this sale.

Your other option would be to GREATLY increase citadel AP damage, I'm talking like DOUBLE what it is now.    Make the reward worth the risk and frustration, cause currently its way off base.

• Cool 1

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles

Instead of using AP bombs against DDs use them against BBs. Use only attack squadrons against DDs. Do this for some games and then report back.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
1 minute ago, _no_one_ said:

Instead of using AP bombs against DDs use them against BBs. Use only attack squadrons against DDs. Do this for some games and then report back.

I have, and the results are lackluster.    Citadels do laughable damage, damage fire can do in short order with vastly more ease.    I'd rather have HE bombs that are useful against EVERYTHING, then AP bombs that do what they do now.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,489 posts
10,183 battles
48 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Use only attack squadrons against DDs. Do this for some games and then report back.

This sounds good but if the attack fighters were just out on a strike the number you will have available to go again will be rather limited. Sometimes you just have to go with what you have.

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

This sounds good but if the attack fighters were just out on a strike the number you will have available to go again will be rather limited. Sometimes you just have to go with what you have.

Unless the DD is very close to you there is no reason to try a DB or a TB attack against an DD. It is a waste on resources.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
2 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Unless the DD is very close to you there is no reason to try a DB or a TB attack against an DD. It is a waste on resources.

Not with HE bombs.   I've nearly one-shot full health DDs with HE bombers, they are fantastic.    I prefer HE bombers over rockets in dealing with DDs, they hit VERY hard.   I strike first with HE bombs then finish them off with rockets.

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 2

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles
2 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Not with HE bombs.   I've nearly one-shot full health DDs with HE bombers, they are fantastic.    I prefer HE bombers over rockets in dealing with DDs, they hit VERY hard.   I strike first with HE bombs then finish them off with rockets.

How? The DD was not moving? Was sailing in a straight line? Because good luck hitting an DD dodging your incoming attack from Bombers. Just because you can have some luck from time to time doesn't mean it isn't a waste on resources.

• Bad 2

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
4 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

How? The DD was not moving? Was sailing in a straight line? Because good luck hitting an DD dodging your incoming attack from Bombers. Just because you can have some luck from time to time doesn't mean it isn't a waste on resources.

Nope, I'm just good at it.     I have a tactic I use that has been very effective, mostly its about waiting until the VERY last second to drop, so I'm as close as possible, which limits the spread of the bombs, as long as you aim well going in and the DD doesn't juke you too hard, its pretty easy in fact.  

Its rare that I miss with them in fact, no joke. 

Edited by Zenn3k
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,234 posts
5,597 battles

AP bombs are for BBs, you have rocket planes to mess with DDs.  I understand the concept of wanting to be able to switch out your planes bomb type based upon the enemy fleet but wouldn't any ships like to be able to tweak their load out based upon seeing the enemy fleet as well?  I sure would love to be able to switch out hydro or DF based upon if there is a CV present or not.  I mean it's not like DF is some aegis sytem weapon system that has to be mounted to the ship to begin with...

[NUWES]
Members
1,933 posts
6,314 battles
51 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

I have, and the results are lackluster.    Citadels do laughable damage, damage fire can do in short order with vastly more ease.    I'd rather have HE bombs that are useful against EVERYTHING, then AP bombs that do what they do now.

HE bombs definitely have the advantage of being consistent. AP seems to hit harder on BBs though and the damage sticks. I really started noticing I when I was using my Lexington captain in Enterprise. HE on a BB really just scratches BBs. The fire usually doesn't do that much damage and they will just repair it unless someone else stacks other damage. The AP citadel hits are harder for a BB to fix. I was chunking down a Roma with AP bombs at about 1/6 of his health per strike and that was working better than the HE bombs from my Lex on a Massachusetts. I set the Mass on fire 4 times in repeated attacks and it was still alive at the end of the game with 1/4 health through good use of dam con. 

The difference may be that Enterprise's AP bombers drop 2 bombs per plane. I think the IJN bombers have a bigger bomb but they only drop 1 per plane. Also, drop height and where you hit on the deck matters for AP bombs. HE doesn't really care much. 

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
2 minutes ago, Bril01 said:

AP bombs are for BBs, you have rocket planes to mess with DDs.  I understand the concept of wanting to be able to switch out your planes bomb type based upon the enemy fleet but wouldn't any ships like to be able to tweak their load out based upon seeing the enemy fleet as well?  I sure would love to be able to switch out hydro or DF based upon if there is a CV present or not.  I mean it's not like DF is some aegis sytem weapon system that has to be mounted to the ship to begin with...

Well, I'm talking about BEFORE the game, just like anyone else can swap out equipment, I want AP/HE to be a choice.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
2 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

HE bombs definitely have the advantage of being consistent. AP seems to hit harder on BBs though and the damage sticks. I really started noticing I when I was using my Lexington captain in Enterprise. HE on a BB really just scratches BBs. The fire usually doesn't do that much damage and they will just repair it unless someone else stacks other damage. The AP citadel hits are harder for a BB to fix. I was chunking down a Roma with AP bombs at about 1/6 of his health per strike and that was working better than the HE bombs from my Lex on a Massachusetts. I set the Mass on fire 4 times in repeated attacks and it was still alive at the end of the game with 1/4 health through good use of dam con. 

The difference may be that Enterprise's AP bombers drop 2 bombs per plane. I think the IJN bombers have a bigger bomb but they only drop 1 per plane. Also, drop height and where you hit on the deck matters for AP bombs. HE doesn't really care much. 

Hmm, 2 bombs per plane might be more interesting, but I still vastly prefer consistent damage and I'd rather them have to put out the fire, because I'm coming back with Torpedoes and if I stick a flood, GG.

Beta Testers
1,234 posts
5,597 battles
1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:

Well, I'm talking about BEFORE the game, just like anyone else can swap out equipment, I want AP/HE to be a choice.

Wait, I thought all CV with AP bombs could already switch them to HE before the match starts?  In that case I tend to agree, there is no reason why those ships shouldn't be able to pick AP or HE load outs before the match starts.

[NUWES]
Members
1,933 posts
6,314 battles
6 minutes ago, Bril01 said:

Wait, I thought all CV with AP bombs could already switch them to HE before the match starts?  In that case I tend to agree, there is no reason why those ships shouldn't be able to pick AP or HE load outs before the match starts.

There's no switching. They all either have HE or AP. IJN CVs all have AP bombs except Kaga which uses HE. It's the reverse for the USN. All use HE bombs except Enterprise which has AP. GZ uses AP only. 

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles
25 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Nope, I'm just good at it.     I have a tactic I use that has been very effective, mostly its about waiting until the VERY last second to drop, so I'm as close as possible, which limits the spread of the bombs, as long as you aim well going in and the DD doesn't juke you too hard, its pretty easy in fact.  

Its rare that I miss with them in fact, no joke. 

First your tactic, is not your tactic, is what is supposed to do.

Second if the DD is dodging your coming attack and comes to 90 degree angle to your attack your bombs will spread. some may hit , some may drop a liitle far some may drop a little closer.

Yes you can have some hits if you are very good, but your are always losing the damage potencial.

Edited by _no_one_

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
Just now, _no_one_ said:

First your tactic, is not your tactic, is what is supposed to do.

Second if the DD is dodging your coming attack and comes to 90 degree angle to your attack your bombs will spread. some may hit , some may drop a liitle far some may drop a little closer.

Yes you can have some hits if you are very good, but your are always losing the damage potencial.

And the hits that land do brutal damage....just 2 bombs is like 5500 damage, thats almost half the HP of a DD.

You can argue with me about it all you like friend, but I'm having lots of success with it and i'm gonna keep doing it until its no longer possible for me to do.

I've had many a DD frantically try to dodge and I hit them anyway, I'm just good with them, let it go.

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles
12 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

And the hits that land do brutal damage....just 2 bombs is like 5500 damage, thats almost half the HP of a DD.

You can argue with me about it all you like friend, but I'm having lots of success with it and i'm gonna keep doing it until its no longer possible for me to do.

I've had many a DD frantically try to dodge and I hit them anyway, I'm just good with them, let it go.

"....just 2 bombs is like 5500 damage" Now imagine how many more hits would you have against cruisers.

And your stats says that you are not so good.

• Bad 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,754 posts
3,923 battles
42 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

Yea nope... You should actively hunt them down because doing stuff like this. 

image.png.056d1e4552307d8acf3d593ad3eb48ce.png

Is really easy once you get a hang of it.  That is 1 drop by the way. 

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles

"....just 2 bombs is like 5500 damage" Now imagine how many more hits would you have against cruisers.

And your stats says that you are not so good.

What stat?   Midway WR out of 4 games?    All my damage stats, PR, etc are all very good, so kindly specify, cause you're wrong.    Lexington WR is above 60%.

Cruisers kill my bombers before they land a strike.    I got an idea, how about I do what works for me, and you do what works for you, k?

Edited by Zenn3k

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles
2 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Yea nope... You should actively hunt them down because doing stuff like this. 

image.png.056d1e4552307d8acf3d593ad3eb48ce.png

Is really easy once you get a hang of it.  That is 1 drop by the way. 

It is so easy that is why you are weak carrier player isn't? Because if you are mudering dds so easy using HE bombs  your wr should be much higher doesn't? You guys are losing damage potencial . Yes you can have a very lucky strike sometimes , yes you can land some hits but in the end you guys are just losing potencial damage.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
1 minute ago, _no_one_ said:

It is so easy that is why you are weak carrier player isn't? Because if you are mudering dds so easy using HE bombs  your wr should be much higher doesn't? You guys are losing damage potencial . Yes you can have a very lucky strike sometimes , yes you can land some hits but in the end you guys are just losing potencial damage.

Its not like we aren't also striking larger ships as well man.    And you should know as well as anyone, your potato team determines WR a lot of the time.   You can get 250k damage, but if your team all sails into open water at the enemy, it doesn't much matter.   

Any strike that connects is NEVER "wasted damage potential", thats frankly silly.

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles
5 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

What stat?   Midway WR out of 4 games?    All my damage stats, PR, etc are all very good, so kindly specify, cause you're wrong.    Lexington WR is above 60%.

Cruisers kill my bombers before they land a strike.    I got an idea, how about I do what works for me, and you do what works for you, k?

Your average damage on the Lexi is just 57k. Do you expect to continue that wr for long with those numbers?

Now look what are the best Ryujo players in the NA server atm. Look what is my average damage. look my wr.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4183799504,Ryujo/

Maybe you should pay attention to what i am saying. Maybe you would learn one thing or two. just saying.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles

Your average damage on the Lexi is just 57k. Do you expect to continue that wr for long with those numbers?

Now look what are the best Ryujo players in the NA server atm. Look what is my average damage. look my wr.

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4183799504,Ryujo/

Maybe you should pay attention to what i am saying. Maybe you would learn one thing or two. just saying.

I had some bad Lex games, sue me (Lex sucks against T10 ships).   I'm still above the curve.    I'm not gonna compare myself to the BEST players, because I don't claim to be one.  

Gimme another 3,000 games and I'll have stats just like yours.

Edited by Zenn3k