You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Perpetual_Deviancy

Tips for a new destroyer pleb

11 comments in this topic

Members
16 posts
74 battles

I'm coming back into WOWS after about three years of not playing, and I decided to go down the Russian lines, and I also decided to try out the destroyers, I wanted to know what was the main differences between the two destroyer splits down the line.
Also, any tips, tricks, and general sagely advice is also appreciated!

[SUCIT]
Members
978 posts
3,970 battles
2 minutes ago, Perpetual_Deviancy said:

I'm coming back into WOWS after about three years of not playing, and I decided to go down the Russian lines, and I also decided to try out the destroyers, I wanted to know what was the main differences between the two destroyer splits down the line.

There's a lot of changes.  First off you should probably memorize what ships have radar, and what ranges that those radars are.  

USN will basically always have a long duration, 10km radar at T8+, USSR will have a shorter duration 12km range radar at T8+, and you'll occasionally run into RN CLs running identical radar to USN instead of smoke.  Learn to play around those ships.  Learn which ships have hydro as well.  Don't yolo into caps early game with any DD, that's a way to get yourself ganked.  Learn map positioning, and have great map awareness.  Learn what fights you can take, and which you cannot take.  For instance, if I'm in a Gearing, I don't want to take a gunfight with a Harugumo or Daring at basically any range.  The Grozovoi will lose a gunfight against most ships in at knife fighting ranges, but due to ballistics, it does very well at further ranges.  There are a multitude of tips and tricks you have to learn, and there's far too much to talk about in one post.  DM me if you ever have any specific questions.  

Torpedoes are not your main source of damage on either line, but they're at least usable on the secondary line.  The main line focuses on sheer speed and gunpower, and most people will not even spec concealment for them.  Play them like a very fast CL, and you'll fit right in.  The branch line is more so a "Jack-of-all-trades" line, that has great AA at T10 (can change with CV rework, don't count on it).  They have usable torps, decent speed, decent gun power and a larger health pool than most.  The Khab is probably the more fun of the two ships, but the Groz is a better destroyer.  

• Cool 1

[RST]
Beta Testers
42 posts
3,946 battles
33 minutes ago, Perpetual_Deviancy said:

Maximize your concealment by way of camo and/or captain skills. Know which DDs are gunboats and which ones are torp boats.  Know your smoke duration and be cautious of radar ships.  With the new CV re-work, I'm noticing the new meta is for CV drivers to push out their rocket planes first and hunt YOU down before going after the capital ships.  Before, you would rush to get caps - I recommend you don't do that if there are CVs in your game - wait to see where the planes show up on the mini map and go from there in terms of capping. The old meta was for DDs to hunt down CVs - not so easy these days with the rocket planes.  Focus more on getting the caps and doing DD stuff. Always use HE but it's a choice.  I don't like using AP myself.

GL HF and see you on the high seas!

[BUOY]
Members
574 posts
4,338 battles

Hmm coming after a 3 year break and jumping straight to DDs and that too russian doesnt bode well for your team in randoms.

I would suggest playing cruisers first and understand how they handle and their consumables. And then maybe go down the US or IJN dd line. Russian DD line has a bit more skill ceiling as they rely on maneuvarability to avoid being hit instead of just concealment and they deal famage through guns so you need to be a good shot

Edited by LookUpAndSpit

[INR]
Members
671 posts
3,745 battles

Something I do to practice my DD (and CL/CA) play:  Buy Umikaze, the Japanese Tier II DD. It's low-tier, cheap, and can torpedo from stealth. Load into a Training Room against a fleet of bot-controlled TX BBs and see how many torpedo hits you can reliably get. I find this exercise really helps my torpedo hit rate, even in TX Random battles.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,213 posts
13,820 battles

I don't play RU DDs, but can give some overall advice.  Learn the spotting distances of all DDs.  Especially relative to yours.  Know the radar ranges and hydro ranges of all ships.  Pin them on a sticky to your computer monitor if necessary.  Know which DDs are gun ships and which ones rely on torps.  When the load screen comes up, check the enemy DD distribution and identify which ones you can take mano mano, and which ones you need to engage differently.

Now that CVs have made a come back, air detection and AA support become important considerations.

Lastly, the most effective learning is through experience.  You will fail.  Sometimes you will fail miserably.  That's the way of this game, especially learning it anew.  Tiers 1 to 3 are the learning tiers.  Don't sweat it.  If you feel like you're in over your head T4 or above, drop down a tier or two.  But don't shy away from pushing into the next tier.  Failure is there.  But if you learn from the failures, you gain the experience to win.  Master that tier, and move to the next.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 1

[KNTAI]
Members
2,186 posts
9,520 battles

Kiev-Tashkent-Khaba is the 'gunboat' line. You have a choice between heal and smoke. Generally, take the heal and zip around at max speed and spam things.

Ognevoi-Udaloi-Groz is the 'hybrid' build. You can also zoom around and shoot things, but also you can just park in smoke and spam things as well.

[H_]
Members
341 posts
8,326 battles
1 hour ago, Gavroche_ said:

Kiev-Tashkent-Khaba is the 'gunboat' line. You have a choice between heal and smoke. Generally, take the heal and zip around at max speed and spam things.

Ognevoi-Udaloi-Groz is the 'hybrid' build. You can also zoom around and shoot things, but also you can just park in smoke and spam things as well.

What he said !  :)   run and gun and wasd the hole time.. stay at range, go dark, re position and start again.  Tashkent actually has torps that are ok once upgraded and they reload pretty quick, but not something you want to consider as the primary threat.

Just got the Khab and Udaloi, Khab has a little less range then the Tash,  but what a fun boat to play.  Udaloi, well only a couple games so jury is out so far.

[NSEW]
Members
716 posts
9,057 battles

"Tips for a new destroyer pleb"

I think the subject title already displays that you are;

a. used to the forum lingo

b. have salt at the ready

c. will get your groove back sooner than other "plebs"

Members
16 posts
74 battles

I frequently browse the forums, keeping tabs on the games. 

I watch Flambass daily in an effort to keep my skills honed as much as possible. 

But I really don't know squat about the Russian ships aside from that the Moskva is a really big ship for a cruiser. 

I used to play the US battlewagons and I dabbled in German cruisers a few times. 

My highest tier I ever reached was tier 5. ^-^

Also, thanks to everyone who's replied so far! I will be paying close attention to the ship values to maximize my.effectiveness. 

[NUWES]
Members
1,933 posts
6,314 battles
7 hours ago, Perpetual_Deviancy said:

Here's a video that @Notser just put up. It doesn't tell you about the lines, but it does give good advice on how to DD in the current meta with CVs and radar. 

Spoiler

Hope it helps. :)