Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Spud_butt

Dumbest Tactic So Far ??

18 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,788 posts
5,675 battles

hi !!

after a horrible string of yuckie slaughter loss battles saturday (I know, it's the weekend) and reading @LittleWhiteMouse response to a post, which included her mentioning having a tactical (or strategical) plan, I tried something different (for me) last nite.

6 battles in Missouri and montana, both with CVs in battle and without, supported our DDs approaching the cap where spawned. there was one DD, 2 CA/CC, 2 BBs, + one BB coming from the center spawn in all battles. the red team was also moving toward the same cap, with about the same numbers and config of ships.

the plan was to shoot HE at the closest ships that were not DDs, catch them on fire, repeat when they put them out, then switch to AP, and shoot at whatever showed a broadside. my effective range seems to be about 14km or less, tried to stay bow on at that range or a bit closer, depending on how many were actually hitting hard. if the green team did not come with me, or focus fire on whatever was in the weakest position, then I would not push closer, but continue efforts to break up their push, and sink the ship that was playing the worst/most aggressively.

once this was accomplished, or nearly accomplished, would wait till most/all the BBs had fired, and turn around... asap, because everybody loves shooting at a big BB showing broadside … hoof it out of there kiting  AND draw them into the pack of green BBs hiding behind an island, or reversing or whatever. this worked GREAT!! nobody was shooting at anybody but me (2 million pot damage), so the greens were not spooked enough to run away, and ended up in 5/6 battles controlling or clearing our side of the map.

in all but one of the battles I was able to have the turrets ready so when I turned, was able to cause some major damage on the way thru the turn. this caused some red players to go dark, which doubtlessly contributed to staying afloat.

most green players seemed to figure out what I was doing, and joined in with no encouragement needed. a few posted 'turn back' until I posted 'stop typing and start shooting' (when I had time) and then they, too, actually helped to delete and push. in only one battle did a red player seem to have it figured out, a yammie that double citted me in the middle of the turn. probably retaliating for the fires.

it beat the heck out of staying back, trying to snipe, and join in on a push that nobody ever starts. it was the most fun and most aggressively I've played in quite a while. I got 2 karma points!!  :o)  lol

I guess you could call this a tactical retreat to sucker them into a trap? is this the dumbest tactic that actually worked so far? any of you tried something similar, or have strategies you would share? 

Edited by Spud_butt
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,457 posts
9,434 battles

Back up into caps; never fails!

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
9 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

I guess you could call this a tactical retreat to sucker them into a trap? is this the dumbest tactic that actually worked so far? any of you tried something similar, or have strategies you would share? 

Congratulations, you basically discovered the tactics used by the Japanese in the second phase of the battle of Tsushima. When they turned in sequence and began to try to cross the T on the Russian ships who were pushing.

And we all know how that worked out lol.

And while we all know WG does not bare much resemblance to history, we do know the majority of significant naval battles were based on the premise of one side trying to lure the other into a trap.

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,788 posts
5,675 battles
13 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Back up into caps; never fails!

Hide contents

L M A O  :o)  6+ minutes of reversing, averaging -11.2 kts while turning in reverse. you have a reverse speed boost, flag up, or ??? when you got rammed, you got all the way up -12.8 kts...

thanks for the video, fun and informative. well played, too.

14 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Congratulations, you basically discovered the tactics used by the Japanese in the second phase of the battle of Tsushima. When they turned in sequence and began to try to cross the T on the Russian ships who were pushing.

And while we all know WG does not bare much resemblance to history, we do know the majority of significant naval battles were based on the premise of one side trying to lure the other into a trap.

ok, so it only took me almost 5k randoms to figure out jutland.  lol not really functioning at the genius level much, huh!

this is, however the first time I feel like I consciously came up with a strategy that got the team(s) involved for a win, rather than the usual.

[RED]
Members
147 posts
9,741 battles
38 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Little known fact: present at the battle of Tsushima Ensign Ackbar was instrumental in the identification of this maneuver but was ineffective in alerting the commanders.

BTW...WG can we have ship commander Admiral Ackbar? Maybe vigilance skill perk? You can use him in space camo ships? You can pick which nation you want your Admiral Ackbar similar to Dasha? Maybe make him invulnerable to direct hits to the Bridge?

Edited by custer_14

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
8 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

ok, so it only took me almost 5k randoms to figure out jutland.  lol not really functioning at the genius level much, huh!

this is, however the first time I feel like I consciously came up with a strategy that got the team(s) involved for a win, rather than the usual.

Well to be honest I was offering you a compliment. It took the Japanese navy 15 years to develop those tactics and the fleet to accomplish them

And really any tactical or strategic decision that works is ever ever dumb :)

• Cool 1

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
8 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

Little known fact: present at the battle of Tsushima Ensign Ackbar was instruments in the identification of this maneuver but was ineffective in alerting the commanders.

Ya know I started googling that before I realized the joke. Well played sir....well played!!!

[HEROS]
Members
1,788 posts
5,675 battles
11 minutes ago, MG1962 said:

Well to be honest I was offering you a compliment. It took the Japanese navy 15 years to develop those tactics and the fleet to accomplish them

And really any tactical or strategic decision that works is ever ever dumb :)

I took it as a compliment, thank you!!

but, after almost 5k battles, having read sun tsu, and, and, and, watching and reading about jutland (fascinates me) and every single summary of tactics includes drawing them into the main battle fleet before the british main fleet gets there.... well, you know, sigh.

now i'm worried I might be missing some other amazingly simple tactic that will revolutionize my gameplay experience. ok, now I KNOW i'm missing other fundamental stuff, just don't know what it is.... yet. 

another 5k randoms, i'll get it all down for sure. :o)

[HEROS]
Members
1,788 posts
5,675 battles
27 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

Little known fact: present at the battle of Tsushima Ensign Ackbar was instruments in the identification of this maneuver but was ineffective in alerting the commanders.

BTW...WG can we have ship commander Admiral Ackbar? Maybe vigilance skill perk? You can use him in space camo ships? You can pick which nation you want your Admiral Ackbar similar to Dasha? Maybe make him invulnerable to direct hits to the Bridge?

I have a full size inflatable Admiral Ackbar in my office at work.

Since i'm on a roll, it's possible this is a RUSE to lure you into my clever trap.

(ed. note: why? just, why?)

[RED]
Members
147 posts
9,741 battles
4 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

now i'm worried I might be missing some other amazingly simple tactic that will revolutionize my gameplay experience. ok, now I KNOW i'm missing other fundamental stuff, just don't know what it is.... yet. 

How about chasing enemy CVs and ignoring the main battle force. Bonus points if in a storm!

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
Members
1,788 posts
5,675 battles
Just now, custer_14 said:

How about chasing enemy CVs and ignoring the main battle force. Bonus points if in a storm!

CV fever, it's what I do.

[RED]
Members
147 posts
9,741 battles
4 minutes ago, Spud_butt said:

CV fever, it's what I do.

So did Halsey!

image.jpeg.b2c72d38bccc51e171a79d662d775b4a.jpeg

Edited by custer_14

[HEROS]
Members
1,788 posts
5,675 battles
Just now, custer_14 said:

So did Halsey!

true, but he didn't know they had no planes on those CVs, and that it was a trap. if I had known that, I would have gone for them anyway. in fact, knowing that, it would have made it far more appealing!!

[FTH]
Members
721 posts
12,408 battles

I could be wrong, but wasn't he under standing orders to destroy the fleet carriers if the opportunity presented itself?

Granted, I'm not going to get into the age old discussion on it all...wait, I guess I just did...but isn't that how they basically covered his stern for taking off after them?

I'm trying to remember the designation for the Task Force it was supposed to be, but Oldendorff I believe thought he had left the fast BB's behind to cover the San Bernadino Strait, that's why it was unguarded.

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,385 battles
On 2/11/2019 at 12:05 PM, MG1962 said:

Admiral Scheer tried that twice in the Battle of Jutland and Jelicoe was having none of it. :P

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
1 hour ago, Gasboy said:

Admiral Scheer tried that twice in the Battle of Jutland and Jelicoe was having none of it. :P

And Jellico got criticize for the next 100 years because of it lol.

Mind you if he had downloaded discord he might have avoided a lot of the salt from his clan afterwards :fish_nerv:

Edited by MG1962

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,385 battles
20 hours ago, MG1962 said:

And Jellico got criticize for the next 100 years because of it lol.

Mind you if he had downloaded discord he might have avoided a lot of the salt from his clan afterwards :fish_nerv:

Well, people forget to give credit for the fact that without having any information (because signal flags at 20km are impossible to see and the wireless stuff they had was not trusted) as to the German fleet's location and disposition, he managed to deploy the Grand Fleet into the proper formation and location to cross Scheer's T twice.  Scheer gets kudos for the German fleet's synchronized handbrake turn, twice. :P

It's obvious that Beatty didn't read chat. xD  Discord would have helped!

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles
2 hours ago, Gasboy said:

Well, people forget to give credit for the fact that without having any information (because signal flags at 20km are impossible to see and the wireless stuff they had was not trusted) as to the German fleet's location and disposition, he managed to deploy the Grand Fleet into the proper formation and location to cross Scheer's T twice.  Scheer gets kudos for the German fleet's synchronized handbrake turn, twice. :P

Oh absolutely. The worst critics seemed to think the engagement should have gone something like Trafalgar.

Lots of armchair admirals out there. Were mistakes made? Of course, but that is kinda what war is all about.

Sign in to follow this