Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Glyn47

Cannot modify camouflages.xml after the 0.8.0.0 update

2 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

18
[STW-B]
Members
33 posts
14,473 battles

For several years I have, like many others, made custom edits to the camouflages.xml file to tweak the look of ships within my client. The process is simple - when a new version is released I use the Unpacker to extract the camouflage.xml file, make my edits using a text editor, then save the modified file into my \res_mods\ folder.

My changes remove specific camos so that I can use historical camos that are made by the many talented artists we have in the community. Aslain provides a mod which applies a "scorched earth" approach which removes ALL camos from your client and I personally don't like this method - if you use this mod you can no longer see any permanent or special camos which WG artists have created and for the most part I like all of these and want to see them in my client. I just want to tweak or remove certain camos, not all of them.

Starting with version 0.8.0.0 I have been unable to make changes to the camouflages.xml file. When the update came out I proceeded as I always so, unpacked the new stock file and made my changes, saved the file in \res_mods\ and fired up the client. To my dismay ALL the camos were gone, much the way that the mod included in Aslains modpack works.

I repeated the process and had the same result. On my third attempt I made a single edit, adding a single character into a comment field which shouldn't modify any of the stock camos whatsoever. Upon loading after this simple change I still see the same thing - no camos at all. It appears ANY modification whatsoever of the file results in the file being completely rejected, throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Did something change where we are no longer able to make modifications to the camouflages.xml file? Has anyone had success modifying their file since 0.8.0.0 came out? Perhaps I am doing something incorrectly? I was hoping that it was just a glitch that would be resolved with the 0.8.0.1 hotfix but the problem persists even after the new patch.

Sub_Octavian himself stated as recently as 3 weeks ago that these type of modifications were perfectly fine.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldOfWarships/comments/agjpej/faqpsa_the_latest_prohibited_modifications/ee9jywd/

Edited by Glyn47
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[STW-B]
Members
33 posts
14,473 battles

For anyone who finds this thread via the search function due to having a similar issue, I was able to resolve this problem and wanted to report back on the thread so as to assist others in getting their edited camouflages.xml working again.

In a nutshell, I have always used the Windows-included application Notepad text editor to edit my camouflauges.xml file, going back to at least version 0.4.x of the game several years ago.

When I ran into issues starting with 0.8.0.0 I was unable to get any assistance or ideas to resolve the issue I started grasping at straws. I read a thread wherein someone was discussing editing XML with a 3rd party text editor called Notepad ++ which is basically Notepad on steroids. It allows you to view all of the XML tags in nice color coded organization and also to save in a variety of file formats natively including XML. Long story short, I installed Notepad ++ (free download) and  I made modifications to the stock camouflages.xml file, saved my revised file as XML and the client recognized it fine and all of my camo modifications work as before.

You can find Notepad ++ here:

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Good luck - feel free to PM me if you have questions or need any assistance!

 

 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×