You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LookUpAndSpit

DD play and bug in detection mechanics

21 comments in this topic

[BUOY]
Members
575 posts
4,395 battles

Whoever said DD is unplayable at higher tiers is just hell bent in his own ways of playing solo. You need to change with the game and DDs playing smartly can do tonnes of damage. All that is required is a bit of patience.

just played my harugumo and me and my div mate killed 7 of the enemy ships. and yet we lost.... obviously because of the fear of getting shot at and camping behind an island.... i got a kraken, dev strike, and confederate in my harugumo. And no this is not a one off game, I played 3 games in my harugumo and and ended up top XP in all games. 2 victories and 1 loss. this los was the hardest to take... after doing all that and losing.... just feels bad. got 1900 base XP for that and the highest XP the winning team got was 2300 base xp.... so yeah that hurts. and yes this was a CV game with the enemy having a Hakuryu. I just didnt open my AA because I didnt want to attract attention

Alos i dont know whether this is a bug or not, but once a ship radars a DD while in smoke, if the DD then gets out of smoke, then the detection is the full gun range of the DD. even though the DD didnt shoot the guns while in smoke while being radared. That seems broken.  So the DD is visible for the full duration of radar, and the DD is then spotted for 20 seconds for the full gun bloom range even though DD didnt fire guns while in smoke. that seems broken, and this has happened to me more than 4-5 times already in ranked and randoms.

@Radar_X please look into this detection thing. I know radar is going to be changed in 0.8.1, but this feels like a bug to me. radar mechanics shouldnt work like that.

shot-19.02.08_14.14.27-0824.jpg

Edited by lungiwear

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,885 posts

Play anything but a haragumo or groz and tell me what you think.

Members
615 posts
12,822 battles

You are playing a light cruiser without a citadel.....yet...DDs are fine....

[SYN]
Members
630 posts
7,275 battles
44 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Shima, Yugumo, Z-52, and Cossack all reported excellent results today.:cap_horn:

On edit: Shima played against a Groz

Edited by Ensign_Pulver_2016

[POP]
Members
886 posts
13,872 battles
54 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I think its fine, have been playing more or less everything.

Members
1,120 posts
95 battles
1 hour ago, lungiwear said:

Whoever said DD is unplayable at higher tiers is just hell bent in his own ways of playing solo. You need to change with the game and DDs playing smartly can do tonnes of damage. All that is required is a bit of patience.

I don't see any plane kills in your battle results. Did you even have a carrier in that game? If not than it's irrelevant to the current issues with over-representation of CVs and CV spotting of destroyers.

[CRMSN]
5,754 posts
3,923 battles
1 hour ago, lungiwear said:

Can you post the Team lists?

[R-F]
Members
1,001 posts
7,076 battles

Seems like you got a bad carrier on the other team that spent all his time trying to kill yours?  

[BUOY]
Members
575 posts
4,395 battles
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Seems like you got a bad carrier on the other team that spent all his time trying to kill yours?  

no. my team was just hell bent on suiciding. in the end only me and my div mate the midway player were left. so the CV went for him and the surface ships were trying to hit me.

typical weekend warrior stuff. not my fault the weekend warriors have access to TX  carriers

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,885 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

Shima, Yugumo, Z-52, and Cossack all reported excellent results today.:cap_horn:

On edit: Shima played against a Groz

How many carriers in those matches?

Dd meta hasn't changed, other than gun bloom fix, in non CV matches.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,885 posts
4 hours ago, Alabamastan said:

I think its fine, have been playing more or less everything.

I noticed my Gearing can shoot planes down, but gets spotted and focused on more now that planes are back in popularity. 

Easy to avoid by not rushing to caps now.

[SYN]
Members
630 posts
7,275 battles
Just now, dEsTurbed1 said:

How many carriers in those matches?

Dd meta hasn't changed, other than gun bloom fix, in non CV matches.

One Shima match was sans carrier. Z shot down 9 ac. Yugumo was in b cap while CV focused on the flank.

It isn't the CVs, it is how the surface ships react. I sailed the P'cola before the hot fix and it was worse than driving a DD. All of the things I had learned to do against aircraft failed to work. I understand there are changes. At least I am not spotted by aircraft while every cruiser in three caps take shots. 

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
886 posts
13,872 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Pulver_2016 said:

One Shima match was sans carrier. Z shot down 9 ac. Yugumo was in b cap while CV focused on the flank.

It isn't the CVs, it is how the surface ships react. I sailed the P'cola before the hot fix and it was worse than driving a DD. All of the things I had learned to do against aircraft failed to work. I understand there are changes. At least I am not spotted by aircraft while every cruiser in three caps take shots. 

Get this man a cigar. The issues most people are having have not much to do with the CV and everything to do with either the team not knowing how to play or they themselves not playing optimally. If you think its a good idea to drive your Shima 20km away from every other ship on your team while there are 2 carriers in a match and you get caught, then you made a bad move and complaining that you were punished for it is not only foolish but quite possibly childish as well. Destroyers who tried to do things like this under the old CV system would get spotted just the same and likely would suffer because of it. The only way that has changed is every CV now has a more reliable way to get at you assuming he or she decides to use attack aircraft to hunt you down first.

8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I noticed my Gearing can shoot planes down, but gets spotted and focused on more now that planes are back in popularity. 

Easy to avoid by not rushing to caps now.

The game has not really changed that much, you are just more reliant on either conscious or unconscious teamwork now than you were before. If you don't have god tier AA in your DD you don't approach caps that don't have several of your team mates by them. Even if you do have great AA its a smart thing to do that because then you are more or less assured support.

• Cool 1

[DDZ]
[DDZ]
Beta Testers
13 posts
2,635 battles

There is a major difference between getting caught on one game and being perma-spotted when there is a 4 CV game... The rework changes all the gameplay, not only the CV one. People need time to adjust, and i bet a lot don't even want to do it. And there is a major reason for that: it is not fun.

[POP]
Members
886 posts
13,872 battles
3 hours ago, Franky_76 said:

There is a major difference between getting caught on one game and being perma-spotted when there is a 4 CV game... The rework changes all the gameplay, not only the CV one. People need time to adjust, and i bet a lot don't even want to do it. And there is a major reason for that: it is not fun.

I have been having fun. The CV issue is no different, its just the fact there are more of them now. What people may have seen once every 8 games playing non CV ships they are now seeing 8 out of every 10 games. If you are being perma spotted you either need your CV to drop you fighters or you need to go back to a cruiser. From the CV perspective its also a pain to deal with the very high number of AA spec ships in game right now. In a BB I would like to be able to just charge into a cap but those CV and DD torps so I have to have other ships hep me. Every class has a similar scenario in game.

[WOLF2]
Members
2,380 posts
14,246 battles
17 hours ago, lungiwear said:

just played my harugumo and me and my div mate killed 7 of the enemy ships. and yet we lost.... obviously because of the fear of getting shot at and camping behind an island.... i got a kraken, dev strike, and confederate in my harugumo. And no this is not a one off game, I played 3 games in my harugumo and and ended up top XP in all games. 2 victories and 1 loss. this los was the hardest to take... after doing all that and losing.... just feels bad. got 1900 base XP for that and the highest XP the winning team got was 2300 base xp.... so yeah that hurts. and yes this was a CV game with the enemy having a Hakuryu. I just didnt open my AA because I didnt want to attract attention

Alos i dont know whether this is a bug or not, but once a ship radars a DD while in smoke, if the DD then gets out of smoke, then the detection is the full gun range of the DD. even though the DD didnt shoot the guns while in smoke while being radared. That seems broken.  So the DD is visible for the full duration of radar, and the DD is then spotted for 20 seconds for the full gun bloom range even though DD didnt fire guns while in smoke. that seems broken, and this has happened to me more than 4-5 times already in ranked and randoms.

@Radar_X please look into this detection thing. I know radar is going to be changed in 0.8.1, but this feels like a bug to me. radar mechanics shouldnt work like that.

So, all I get from this nonsense is = gunboat gud

Members
2,127 posts
10,692 battles
18 hours ago, lungiwear said:

Upload the replay please. 

[DDZ]
[DDZ]
Beta Testers
13 posts
2,635 battles
1 hour ago, Alabamastan said:

I have been having fun. The CV issue is no different, its just the fact there are more of them now. What people may have seen once every 8 games playing non CV ships they are now seeing 8 out of every 10 games. If you are being perma spotted you either need your CV to drop you fighters or you need to go back to a cruiser. From the CV perspective its also a pain to deal with the very high number of AA spec ships in game right now. In a BB I would like to be able to just charge into a cap but those CV and DD torps so I have to have other ships hep me. Every class has a similar scenario in game.

Whatever... We all now what's gonna happen.

Most of the players won't play DDs anymore, we can already see that in high tiers games. At one point it will be like the CV before. If less and less people play DD, then Wargaming will do a DD rework, since they just care about the numbers and not our opinions :D

[PSP]
Members
8,044 posts
20 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

How about a Gearing?

image.thumb.png.554d179a499c7a6338b8b5407943be87.png

image.thumb.png.b5e861a6bfaead5883639b437c3de9ec.png

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,885 posts
23 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

How about a Gearing?

image.thumb.png.554d179a499c7a6338b8b5407943be87.png

image.thumb.png.b5e861a6bfaead5883639b437c3de9ec.png

Nice. Seems the hotfix has helped tame the CV's.