You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ducky_shot

The SUPER non-comprehensive list of Premium ship buffs.

38 comments in this topic

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,739 posts
10,278 battles

In many topics about possible nerfs to premium ships, I have noticed that many players are unsure of whether premium ships have received buffs in the past and if so, how many or significant those buffs have been. I am against WG nerfing premium ships with only doubloons for compensation. However I am all for providing players with accurate information with which to make their arguments with. I went through the changelogs for the past 3 calendar years and compiled every single buff I could find. I did not include global changes, such as hydro and smoke equalization, CV changes, and global secondary changes to fire chance and pen and shell type.

I probably missed quite a few as well. I only looked at major patches (ie: 0.6.3, not 0.6.3.1) and some things were worded poorly as to whether they were actually a buff or not even affecting gameplay. Some of the patch notes were unclear whether some of the ships were still in testing or not as well.

Anyways, here is the super, kinda, sorta non-comprehensive list of premium ship buffs from 2016 through today:

Spoiler

Kii reload was reduced from 31 to 30. Torp range increased from 6km to 10km, while speed was reduced by a single km. Torp damage increased from 14600 to 17233

Dunkerque reload reduced from 28 secs to 26 secs.

Hood sigma increase from 1.8 to 1.9. AP fuse delay increased from 0.015 to 0.033 secs (questionable buff)

Aigle topr range increased from 7km to 8 km.

Sims stock torps increased range from 5.5 to 7km. Alt torps range increased from 8.2 to 10.5, maximum damge increased from 8500 to 9667. Reload time increased from 72 to 76 seconds

Global changes to secondaries changing many premium ships to all HE secondaries. (situational)

ARP Myoko's, ARP Takao, Atago got improved accuracy

ARP Myoko's got turret traverse speed increased from 4 – 5deg/s

Shinonome, Asashio, Harekaze got HE shell damage increased from 1800 to 2150. Fire chance increased from 7% - 9%

Cossack torp reload dropped from 96 seconds to 66 seconds and the turret traverse speed increased from 10 – 20 deg/s

Hydro range increases for some ships, including Lo Yang, Graf Spee, GZ, T-61, Z-39

Texas got Spotter aircraft

Haida hydro range increased from 3.12km to 3.5 km

Harekaze got penetration buff from 17 to 25mm. Secondary guns on Kii got the same buff.

Ashitaka got improved AP shells. Improved velocity from 790 to 806 m/s. Damage increased from 12400 to 12600

Indianapolis rudder shift improved from 9.1 to 8.4 secs and turret traverse from 6 to 7 deg/s.

Eugen got repair party consumable

Harekaze got turret rotation speed increase from 6 to 6.9 deg/sec on hull 1-4.

Giulio Cesare got Reduced arming threshold for AP shells to 53mm and secondaries to 20mm.

Leningrad got shell normalization improved from 8 deg to 10 deg

Indianapolis smoke detection range decreased from 8.18 to 7.26km

Iwaki Alpha smoke detection reduced from 4.71 to 4.29km

Giulio Cesare TDS increased from 19% to 30%

ARP Myoko Type 8 torp reload decreased from 76 to 70 secs. Type 90 torp reload reduced from 82 to 76 secs.

Takao, Atago torp reload decreased from 109 seconds to 101

Harekaze torp reload reduced from 112 to 101 secs

Krasny Krym reload reduced from 9.2 to 8.1 secs

Iwaki Alpha gained hydr oconsumable

Arkansas Beta secondary range increased from 3.5 to 4.5 with better accuracy

Harekaze 127mm/54 gun mounts got HP increase from 1000 to 4000

Indianapolis radar range increased from 8.5 to 9.9km. Detectablitiy range by ships was reduced from 13.9 to 12.7km

Lo Yang hydro range increased from 3.75 to 5.43km. 533Mk15 mod 0 torp range increased from 6.0 to 6.7 km.

Warspite turret turn time decreased from 72 to 54.5 secs.

Eugen plating increased from 25 to 27mm

Tirpitz secondary range increased from 4.5 to 7 km

Firing range increases for the following ships: Emden,, Ishizuchi, Mikasa, Tachibana, Krasny Krym, Arkansas Beta, Texas, Albany, Marblehead, Kamikaze

Dunkerque Aircraft Hp, DPS, and tier increased

Indian reload time increased from 15 to 14.3 secs. Increased side plating from 16 to 22mm.

Marblehead rudder shift reduced from 7.8 to 5.7 secs.

Leningrad penalty to forward speed was reduced from 20% to 15% and increased on reverse speed from 15% to 26%. (offsetting buff/nerf)

Smith, Blyskawica penalty to forward speed reduced from 20% to 15%

Marblehead reload time reduced to 6.67 secs. Torpedo arcs increased 7 deg to the stern

Tirpitz rear plating for turrets increased from 220mm to 320mm

Eugen rear armor thickness increased from 60mm to 90mm on turrets 1 and 4

Tirpitz lower belt armor increased from 170mm to 240mm

Arizona upper citadel transverse armor increased from 203mm to 330mm

Tirpitz armored deck increased by 30mm

Atlanta got radar consumable

Tirpitz armor reworked to lead to fewer citadels

Marblehead casemate armor increased from 6mm to 10mm

Krasny Krym torp range increased from 3.7 to 5 km.

360 turrets added for Tachibana, Kamikaze, Aurora, Diana, Campbeltown

Yubari Hp increased 400 hp

Warspite got 2 added aa guns with increased dps.

Molotov and Gremyaschy received some aa range increases. Molotov received DPS increase

Tirpitz received an AA DPS increase and each torp tube received 1 deg extra traverse

Texas received AA dps increase

Katori got more hp added to main gun turrets

Ishizuchi received changes to protect modules better. Reload time decreased from 30 to 25 secs.

Kutuzov got increased fire rate and range and turret traverse.

Albany got increased firing range and viewing distance

Yubari got deck armor increased from 20 to 25mm

Tachibana received gun bloom detection decreases.

Conclusion: Premium ships have received many regular buffs over the years. I don't want to see it argued again that ships like the Krasny Krym and Indianapolis have been languishing in WG's dungeon when they haven't. (I don't want to see it, but I expect I will still see that argument being made.... lol)

However, my memory did not fail me and Giulio Cesare had received 2 buffs in the past after its release.

• Cool 16

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,739 posts
10,278 battles
19 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

+1 for the time on this.

Only took about an hour and a half. Was fun to reminisce. 

• Cool 1

Members
930 posts
2,399 battles

Its amazing how they release the GC as it was and then buff it twice. Now WG wanna nerf it schizo much?

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,506 posts
13,641 battles

Premium ships have generally gotten buffed but never really nerfed unless through a global game mechanics change (OWSF for instance). It's all done for balance and, I believe, to keep the premium in a certain position - or balance - with the same tier tech tree ships. So why not nerfs for the same reason? I'm okay with small "corrections" yet my preference is to stop selling the "OP" premium and let them go away through attrition.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,899 posts
4,248 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

In many topics about possible nerfs to premium ships, I have noticed that many players are unsure of whether premium ships have received buffs in the past and if so, how many or significant those buffs have been. I am against WG nerfing premium ships with only doubloons for compensation. However I am all for providing players with accurate information with which to make their arguments with. I went through the changelogs for the past 3 calendar years and compiled every single buff I could find. I did not include global changes, such as hydro and smoke equalization, CV changes, and global secondary changes to fire chance and pen and shell type.

I probably missed quite a few as well. I only looked at major patches (ie: 0.6.3, not 0.6.3.1) and some things were worded poorly as to whether they were actually a buff or not even affecting gameplay. Some of the patch notes were unclear whether some of the ships were still in testing or not as well.

Anyways, here is the super, kinda, sorta non-comprehensive list of premium ship buffs from 2016 through today:

Hide contents

Kii reload was reduced from 31 to 30. Torp range increased from 6km to 10km, while speed was reduced by a single km. Torp damage increased from 14600 to 17233

Dunkerque reload reduced from 28 secs to 26 secs.

Hood sigma increase from 1.8 to 1.9. AP fuse delay increased from 0.015 to 0.033 secs (questionable buff)

Aigle topr range increased from 7km to 8 km.

Sims stock torps increased range from 5.5 to 7km. Alt torps range increased from 8.2 to 10.5, maximum damge increased from 8500 to 9667. Reload time increased from 72 to 76 seconds

Global changes to secondaries changing many premium ships to all HE secondaries. (situational)

ARP Myoko's, ARP Takao, Atago got improved accuracy

ARP Myoko's got turret traverse speed increased from 4 – 5deg/s

Shinonome, Asashio, Harekaze got HE shell damage increased from 1800 to 2150. Fire chance increased from 7% - 9%

Cossack torp reload dropped from 96 seconds to 66 seconds and the turret traverse speed increased from 10 – 20 deg/s

Hydro range increases for some ships, including Lo Yang, Graf Spee, GZ, T-61, Z-39

Texas got Spotter aircraft

Haida hydro range increased from 3.12km to 3.5 km

Harekaze got penetration buff from 17 to 25mm. Secondary guns on Kii got the same buff.

Ashitaka got improved AP shells. Improved velocity from 790 to 806 m/s. Damage increased from 12400 to 12600

Indianapolis rudder shift improved from 9.1 to 8.4 secs and turret traverse from 6 to 7 deg/s.

Eugen got repair party consumable

Harekaze got turret rotation speed increase from 6 to 6.9 deg/sec on hull 1-4.

Giulio Cesare got Reduced arming threshold for AP shells to 53mm and secondaries to 20mm.

Leningrad got shell normalization improved from 8 deg to 10 deg

Indianapolis smoke detection range decreased from 8.18 to 7.26km

Iwaki Alpha smoke detection reduced from 4.71 to 4.29km

Giulio Cesare TDS increased from 19% to 30%

ARP Myoko Type 8 torp reload decreased from 76 to 70 secs. Type 90 torp reload reduced from 82 to 76 secs.

Takao, Atago torp reload decreased from 109 seconds to 101

Harekaze torp reload reduced from 112 to 101 secs

Krasny Krym reload reduced from 9.2 to 8.1 secs

Iwaki Alpha gained hydr oconsumable

Arkansas Beta secondary range increased from 3.5 to 4.5 with better accuracy

Harekaze 127mm/54 gun mounts got HP increase from 1000 to 4000

Indianapolis radar range increased from 8.5 to 9.9km. Detectablitiy range by ships was reduced from 13.9 to 12.7km

Lo Yang hydro range increased from 3.75 to 5.43km. 533Mk15 mod 0 torp range increased from 6.0 to 6.7 km.

Warspite turret turn time decreased from 72 to 54.5 secs.

Eugen plating increased from 25 to 27mm

Tirpitz secondary range increased from 4.5 to 7 km

Firing range increases for the following ships: Emden,, Ishizuchi, Mikasa, Tachibana, Krasny Krym, Arkansas Beta, Texas, Albany, Marblehead, Kamikaze

Dunkerque Aircraft Hp, DPS, and tier increased

Indian reload time increased from 15 to 14.3 secs. Increased side plating from 16 to 22mm.

Marblehead rudder shift reduced from 7.8 to 5.7 secs.

Leningrad penalty to forward speed was reduced from 20% to 15% and increased on reverse speed from 15% to 26%. (offsetting buff/nerf)

Smith, Blyskawica penalty to forward speed reduced from 20% to 15%

Marblehead reload time reduced to 6.67 secs. Torpedo arcs increased 7 deg to the stern

Tirpitz rear plating for turrets increased from 220mm to 320mm

Eugen rear armor thickness increased from 60mm to 90mm on turrets 1 and 4

Tirpitz lower belt armor increased from 170mm to 240mm

Arizona upper citadel transverse armor increased from 203mm to 330mm

Tirpitz armored deck increased by 30mm

Atlanta got radar consumable

Tirpitz armor reworked to lead to fewer citadels

Marblehead casemate armor increased from 6mm to 10mm

Krasny Krym torp range increased from 3.7 to 5 km.

360 turrets added for Tachibana, Kamikaze, Aurora, Diana, Campbeltown

Yubari Hp increased 400 hp

Warspite got 2 added aa guns with increased dps.

Molotov and Gremyaschy received some aa range increases. Molotov received DPS increase

Tirpitz received an AA DPS increase and each torp tube received 1 deg extra traverse

Texas received AA dps increase

Katori got more hp added to main gun turrets

Ishizuchi received changes to protect modules better. Reload time decreased from 30 to 25 secs.

Kutuzov got increased fire rate and range and turret traverse.

Albany got increased firing range and viewing distance

Yubari got deck armor increased from 20 to 25mm

Tachibana received gun bloom detection decreases.

Conclusion: Premium ships have received many regular buffs over the years. I don't want to see it argued again that ships like the Krasny Krym and Indianapolis have been languishing in WG's dungeon when they haven't. (I don't want to see it, but I expect I will still see that argument being made.... lol)

However, my memory did not fail me and Giulio Cesare had received 2 buffs in the past after its release.

i think the 2nd logn range aura may be worth mentioning for the hood buff

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,739 posts
10,278 battles
3 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

i think the 2nd logn range aura may be worth mentioning for the hood buff

What patch? 

[FF]
Members
76 posts
2,333 battles

Look, heres a quote from a sub octavian post.

4. We are very loyal in this aspect - we buff premium ships when they have problems with performance, and avoid nerfing them at all costs. I don't see any point in discussing this now, as there is no precedent of specific ship nerf.

This sentiment was the deciding factor in some number of players opening their wallets. Sure we all know the eula states WeeGee can do what the hell ever they want. This statement made it clear that their intention was to not nerf something players paid real money on. This thing with the GC (and saying it's only the first in a line at that) is a betrayal on that sentiment. If the GC was absolutely dominating in its over representation matchmaking numbers, which it isn't, then I'm sure there there wouldnt be as much backlash. But really...she makes up less than 4.6% of the battle space for BBs at her tier, and less than 1.3% in her matchmaking bracket. 

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,016 battles
38 minutes ago, Khafni said:

Premium ships have generally gotten buffed but never really nerfed unless through a global game mechanics change (OWSF for instance). It's all done for balance and, I believe, to keep the premium in a certain position - or balance - with the same tier tech tree ships. So why not nerfs for the same reason? I'm okay with small "corrections" yet my preference is to stop selling the "OP" premium and let them go away through attrition.

I think WG made a mistake of establishing an unofficial rule that premiums can’t be nerfed. I rather have the ships be balanced and sold rather than being locked away forever because the ship isn’t tuned correctly on first release. This creates several bad side effects:

1) creates artificial scarcity of a certain ship and people make all kinds of wrong assumptions about it because they dont see it often and make all kinds of assumptions about them (I.e. myth of Kutazkhov radar)

2) creates a feeling of unfairness when the opponent have a “better” ship by neglecting the build up of the rest of the team; then proceeds to blame the ship or MM for their otherwise what would have been brilliant victories.

3) creates a sense of entitlement if anything negative ever happens to these ship even if the change is negligible or is applied across the entire tier/class/game

4) meta changes, what was once OP may not be again due to new mechanics or general power creep (I.e. gremy)

WG should just get rid of the rule of not nerfing prem. ships so they can actually balance them and make them available again. Give compensation when it’s warranted but they should be allowed to balance them.

Thanks for the compilation @Ducky_shot

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
2,899 posts
4,248 battles
11 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

What patch? 

it came with the rework. hood as far as im aware is the only ship in the game with 2 long range auras. effectively this is only really useful if you take AA mod though. if you take AA mod for the +2 flak clouds, then you effectively get 2 free clouds because you have 2 auras at long range.

[HEROS]
Members
1,786 posts
5,675 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

I went through the changelogs for the past 3 calendar years and compiled every single buff I could find. I did not include global changes, such as hydro and smoke equalization, CV changes, and global secondary changes to fire chance and pen and shell type.

hi ducky. you snowed in again?

[FF]
Members
76 posts
2,333 battles
7 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

Hood's AP got buffed? Hm...

It was intended to be a buff...but a fair few have said seems like more of nerf in practice.

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,526 battles
Just now, redneck1776 said:

It was intended to be a buff...but a fair few have said seems like more of nerf in practice.

Overpens on cruisers, I assume? Theoretically it should do better against BB now, right?

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,739 posts
10,278 battles
4 minutes ago, Hanger_18 said:

it came with the rework. hood as far as im aware is the only ship in the game with 2 long range auras. effectively this is only really useful if you take AA mod though. if you take AA mod for the +2 flak clouds, then you effectively get 2 free clouds because you have 2 auras at long range.

It's got the 4 in guns for long range and below that 40mm guns, which are anything but long range... Not sure how that equates to 2 long range auras in the current iteration, but it's not mentioned at all in the patch notes

[RUST]
Beta Testers
991 posts
11,016 battles
11 minutes ago, redneck1776 said:

Look, heres a quote from a sub octavian post.

4. We are very loyal in this aspect - we buff premium ships when they have problems with performance, and avoid nerfing them at all costs. I don't see any point in discussing this now, as there is no precedent of specific ship nerf.

This sentiment was the deciding factor in some number of players opening their wallets. Sure we all know the eula states WeeGee can do what the hell ever they want. This statement made it clear that their intention was to not nerf something players paid real money on. This thing with the GC (and saying it's only the first in a line at that) is a betrayal on that sentiment. If the GC was absolutely dominating in its over representation matchmaking numbers, which it isn't, then I'm sure there there wouldnt be as much backlash. But really...she makes up less than 4.6% of the battle space for BBs at her tier, and less than 1.3% in her matchmaking bracket. 

Then these players are putting their own personal benefits ahead of every one else. Regardless of how may GC are in an average game they are clearly OP relative to other ship in the same tier and class by a wide margin.

From a health game design perspective it should be nerf. We can argue over whether players who bought it receive just compensation for it, but it’s the right call to do something about the GC.

Even if you disagree, the level of vitriol thrown at WG staff is not justified.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,739 posts
10,278 battles
1 minute ago, Spud_butt said:

hi ducky. you snowed in again?

-44 the last 2 mornings. 

Members
2,829 posts
3,073 battles

Loyang getting that hydro buff must have felt amazing. 

[INTEL]
Beta Testers
1,748 posts
4,522 battles

Did you leave out the citadel adjustment to Missouri b/c it was applied to tech tree ships also, b/c she's a free XP premium, or just didn't make it to the list?

Or - far more likely - did I just miss it?

Edit:  BTW - Thank you for this list!  I haven't played Atago in months, maybe more than a year.  Haven't played LoYang much either.  I may have noted most of these changes when they were originally announced, but I've forgotten most of them by now.  Gives me a reason to take these ships out for a spin to see how they work now!

[HEROS]
Members
1,786 posts
5,675 battles
4 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

-44 the last 2 mornings. 

was going to complain about 7 degrees this am, but -44... i'ld be checking for frozen off parts that would be sorely missed when thawed.

but then you don't have to worry about keeping the temp up in the curling halls. keeps the beer colder, eh. :o)

whenever players see me in ranked in a Missouri "wish I had bought one before they removed them. credit cows." me, right after they citadel me "yeah, i'll be raking them in this battle for sure"

Edited by Spud_butt

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,292 posts
7,994 battles
2 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

Overpens on cruisers, I assume? Theoretically it should do better against BB now, right?

fuse time is only relevant when going through multiple layers of armour, if it hits citadel it's still citadel. It's a nerf against some ships, buff against some others. Note that due to Hood's superior bounce angles along with relatively weak penetration, you're shooting at weaker armour instead of angled lower belts often, meaning this is probably more of a nerf since you'll get more overpenetrations.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
[OO7]
Members
3,739 posts
10,278 battles
Just now, Fishrokk said:

Did you leave out the citadel adjustment to Missouri b/c it was applied to tech tree ships also, b/c she's a free XP premium, or just didn't make it to the list?

Or - far more likely - did I just miss it?

Its not there and I don't remember seeing it. Formatting for the patches is fairly hodgepodge and some info from one section should have been in a different section. Probably the case here. 

Now I'm off to find where it was. Initial look says 0.6.4

[FML]
Members
2,125 posts
11,195 battles

Did people seriously argue that premium ships haven’t received buffs and thus GC shouldn’t be nerfed?

If so, they really haven’t been paying attention - as the OP’s list demonstrates.

Thanks for the effort +1

[NMKJT]
Members
1,784 posts
5,237 battles
2 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

I remember being totally confused that they would even buff it back then. It was already so great lol.

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,292 posts
7,994 battles
7 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Loyang getting that hydro buff must have felt amazing. 

Lo Yang's dominance was heavily nerfed with the ship-wide buff of DD hydro in 0.7.10.2. The ship went from overpowered to "meh" in one patch. Note there was no forum outcry, no compensation.