You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Nordlaender

Please Get Rid of Dreadnaught and FireProof!

140 comments in this topic

[_HW_]
Members
67 posts
2,400 battles

I may have just played my last regular Random Battle.  I may go over to Co-op, Ranked, and Operations permanently due to BB's throwing games to earn achievements.

I am proud to say that I do not have a single Fireproof or Dreadnaught achievement, even though many of my battleships have suffered in excess of 99,000 HP of damage before dying.  I never stopped fighting for my team or to win the game so that I and others could get double or triple the amount of XP for winning the game.

It took me many months to find out that I must survive the battle to win these achievements, which suddenly explained the behavior of so many battleships in games that I have lost.  They abandoned us to go off and hide so they could get Fireproof or Dreadnaught and thus win more XP than the rest of the team.  The worst part is that we could have won if they had tried or even participated in the end game.  It was that close, and many times we had an advantage, like in the last game, but they ran away despite pleas from dead teammates to enter the epicenter and win the game.  They were afraid of one beat up destroyer that they both could have easily killed.

World of Warships:  why are you awarding achievements to cowards?

Either get rid of these stupid achievements that encourage back-stabbing, or require that you win the battle to receive the achievement.

Also, you should allow a destroyer or cruiser to withdraw from battle by crossing the white line in the rear if it has 10% or less HP left and give it the new Survivor achievement.

Until then, I will not play Random Battles because it makes my game stats look bad when they could have been much better for all the effort I put into the battle.  If I must play a Random Battle to complete a task, then I will, but if I spot a BB hiding behind an island waiting to get Fireproof or Dreadnaught, I will sail my destroyer over to him and torp him.

That way, we will both lose, and I don't give a damn about your Unsporting Behavior Warning because you, WoW, are the ones encouraging it.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:02 PM,  Compassghost said: 

I think I found the issue. As you guys may or may not know, I play very aggressively compared to the average player. “Death is a preferable alternative to losing” type of deal. I know there I times when I have to die to win the game. 

This nets me a 44% survival rate in randoms.

OP has a 20% survival rate.

This is very low, to the level where I think personal well-being is entirely disregarded.  Not being afraid to take damage is fine from a play perspective, but that still doesn’t mean you should be taking needless or excessive damage outside your level of control.

I am going to respond to your comment because you are not trolling me and what you have to say is interesting and informative.

Yes, I do tend to die a lot, especially as a DD, which I have played the most, but I like playing BB’s also. However, I get tired of the same old “sniping in the background type of game” when playing a battleship, so I move forward to try and engage in a brawl if possible. Sometimes it happens, a lot of times it doesn’t, but when it does happen, it’s great fun!

(BTW, thanks WoW for the CV rework that has made the game a lot more interesting and removed the DD dueling for caps that had become  so really boring. As a DD, I find I can’t reach the cap point before planes begin descending upon me. Very different!)

No one cared about the issue I brought up, and that is that you cannot win an epicenter battle if you let the enemy take the center and then stay outside the entire ring hiding behind a hill far away, which is what these two battleships did. You understand that, right? And they did it for only one reason. The point value of their ships was irrelevant in this particular game. They threw the game to get achievements when we had a great chance to win it. Their decision to do that nuked a huge amount of XP from our team. You understand that too, right?

My joke about torping them in-game because they were torping our chance to win two to three times more XP for winning the game had the unusual effect of revealing who the people are who think this kind of game throwing is okay.    Note their names.

And yes, there have been games where I have told our one remaining BB to run away and hide because we were ahead in points. I do understand the concept of points, but thanks for clarifying it even more. I appreciate it. However, it did not apply to this game.

Thanks for your comments and your advice and for not trolling me.

Edited by Nordlaender
main issue ignored by trolls
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 39
  • Angry 2

[RESP]
Beta Testers
901 posts
7,334 battles

This is where I disagree with you.

If a BB has been on the front lines long enough to earn those achievements, then they did their part in tanking for the team.  At that point they are pretty much at a point where they have nothing left to give and are better off retreating to the back.

You may think it cowardly, but it is actually a smart decision due to the following two reasons:

1. As long as they are alive their guns are still in play.
  2. Staying alive denies the enemy team the points for killing them.

• Cool 19
  • Bad 1

[B2P]
Members
565 posts
15,045 battles

As far as I know achievements of any kind don't give you any additional XP.  Someone can correct me if I am wrong.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,458 posts
9,454 battles

Oops, those are my most common ones... BBABY4LYFE!

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,295 posts
10,483 battles

Animated GIF

I am sorry Nordlaender. 

You have all of that backwards. Do you consider yourself a good BB player?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[-K-]
Members
5,795 posts
9,827 battles

OP, if your theory is true (which is highly debatable), do you think it would really stop people from being cowards in the first place?

A shiny digital medal won't deter people from playing poorly if that's how they choose to do so.

[D12]
Members
1,150 posts
9,068 battles
14 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

I am proud to say that I do not have a single Fireproof or Dreadnaught achievement

Aren't these mutually exclusive? To earn Fireproof or Dreadnaught one has to push hard and survive. That's a top notch skill. And there is nothing "proud" about not having these ever, it just means you are a back line useless sniper.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,648 posts
2,637 battles

If you do not have a single dreadnought as a BB player, it means you do not use your repair party (like ever). I dont see any pother feasible alternative than you simply yolo into enemy lines

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,526 posts
10,240 battles

Almost no one goes into a match to get a Dreadnought, Fireproof, or the even rarer Unsinkable.

• Funny 1

[CAST]
Members
1,423 posts
7,924 battles

I don't think I have ever seen anyone farming a dreadnought or fireproof achievement.  Usually, if you have a dreadnought or fireproof achievement, then you won the match.  It is difficult to get that achievement with a loss.  You usually die when you take that much damage in a loss, because you can't escape.  The only way it comes in a loss, is if you are chasing down a couple of ships and they get away for the win because time expires with them having the lead.  

[FF]
Members
76 posts
2,333 battles
3 minutes ago, Citrusss said:

Aren't these mutually exclusive? To earn Fireproof or Dreadnaught one has to push hard and survive. That's a top notch skill. And there is nothing "proud" about not having these ever, it just means you are a back line useless sniper.

shots fired.gif

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
858 posts
5,278 battles
15 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

I may have just played my last regular Random Battle.  I may go over to Co-op, Ranked, and Operations permanently due to BB's throwing games to earn achievements.

I am proud to say that I do not have a single Fireproof or Dreadnaught achievement, even though many of my battleships have suffered in excess of 99,000 HP of damage before dying.  I never stopped fighting for my team or to win the game so that I and others could get double or triple the amount of XP for winning the game.

It took me many months to find out that I must survive the battle to win these achievements, which suddenly explained the behavior of so many battleships in games that I have lost.  They abandoned us to go off and hide so they could get Fireproof or Dreadnaught and thus win more XP than the rest of the team.  The worst part is that we could have won if they had tried or even participated in the end game.  It was that close, and many times we had an advantage, like in the last game, but they ran away despite pleas from dead teammates to enter the epicenter and win the game.  They were afraid of one beat up destroyer that they both could have easily killed.

Either get rid of these stupid achievements that encourage back-stabbing, or require that you win the battle to receive the achievement.

Also, you should allow a destroyer or cruiser to withdraw from battle by crossing the white line in the rear if it has 10% or less HP left and give it the new Survivor achievement.

Until then, I will not play Random Battles because it makes my game stats look bad when they could have been much better for all the effort I put into the battle.  If I must play a Random Battle to complete a task, then I will, but if I spot a BB hiding behind an island waiting to get Fireproof or Dreadnaught, I will sail my destroyer over to him and torp him.

That way, we will both lose, and I don't give a damn about your Unsporting Behavior Warning because you, WoW, are the ones encouraging it.

Really ? You think I got those and sometimes both in the same match by THROWING the game every time I got them ? and you want to cross the white line and make it a get out of jail free card ? ISNT THAT WHAT PEOPLE SAID ABOUT CV'S? Man         just wow..

[WOLFC]
Members
379 posts
5,128 battles

Some of us got those achievement by not stopping.

Do not assume what you have heard is how the rest of us play.

[WOLF2]
Members
75 posts
6,240 battles

If you find you have difficulty winning matches with this attitude you may want to reconsider your opinion.  I think most successful BB players feel that taking damage and surviving are keys to their success.

[FART]
Members
169 posts
5,540 battles
17 minutes ago, Nordlaender said:

if I spot a BB hiding behind an island waiting to get Fireproof or Dreadnaught, I will sail my destroyer over to him and torp him. 

Funny -- you talk about the importance of being a team player, and end with that comment.

And you will be rightfully relentlessly reported, and hopefully eventually banned for scumbaggery.

• Boring 1

[DRAH]
Members
129 posts
4,471 battles

I have terrible survival rates and am far far to aggressive but I get those achieves quite often. If you never get one that suggests you are beyond aggressive to the point of insanity. Sometimes denying your ships points to the enemy is the difference between winning and losing so you need to stop shooting and run away.

[_HW_]
Members
67 posts
2,400 battles
8 minutes ago, Stampz said:

This is where I disagree with you.

If a BB stays out of the fight and only enters to finish off badly damaged ships that DD's and CA's took on at full health, then retreats behind an island and hides for the rest of the game, it has done nothing in my opinion but reap the labor of others, so I disagree with you strongly.

BTW, why can't DD's and CA's just up and leave the game?  You did not mention them.  Are they always just supposed to die for you?

• Bad 2

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,182 posts
11,726 battles

OP  made the kind of quantum leap in logic that the jurors in the first OJ Simpson trial did ..

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[_HW_]
Members
67 posts
2,400 battles
11 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

I won my solo warrior in mikasa i feel i did my part.

That means you won the game and did not throw it to get achievements.  You are not part of this discussion.

• Funny 1

Members
858 posts
5,278 battles
2 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

OP  made the kind of quantum leap in logic that the jurors in the first OJ Simpson trial did ..

Oh man that's hilarious +1

Members
1,436 posts
3,718 battles
Just now, Nordlaender said:

That means you won the game and did not throw it to get achievements.  You are not part of this discussion.

Ok bud thanks nice to be part of the playerbase of na. 

Thanks.

[_HW_]
Members
67 posts
2,400 battles
6 minutes ago, paradat said:

Do you consider yourself a good BB player?

Do you consider yourself a good team player?

[CAST]
Members
1,423 posts
7,924 battles

I like to finish a winning game with hardly any health after using most of my heals.  It means I soaked up a lot of damage for my team and that I was close enough to be a threat.  That also means I was close enough to do a lot of damage.  I see those medals as a sign of playing the ship correctly.