You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Who is enjoying the Irian?

25 comments in this topic

[WOLFC]
Members
589 posts
1,638 battles

Love this ship. With extra fire chance with the captain and overall Zao like fire starting ability, you can really put a hurting on some enemy team pushes with kiting away with HE spam, then throw out some deep water torps to get a flooding+ preminate fire after more HE hits. 

Who is the same boat? Excuse the pun

• Cool 2

[CAPGO]
Members
656 posts
4,015 battles

My dilemma for the ship is following:

Gunnery is the best attribute of the ship, but then Chapayev and Kutuzov have the same guns.Torpedoes are appreciated but, if you are in a situation to use them, your team is prob already losing.

Edited by VVoony

[WAG]
Members
464 posts
8,516 battles

I have the Chapayev (worse tops but Radar) and Kutuzov (longer range guns + smoke) so Irian isn't appealing to me. Without Kutuzov, I might have investigated. The difference in gun range between Chapayev/Irian and Kutuzov makes a big difference due to my play style.

• Cool 1

[WAG]
Members
464 posts
8,516 battles
Just now, abyssofthetriffid said:

How do you get the irian is it a premium boat?

It is a premium ship. There is a new twist on loot boxes in the Arsenal that will allow access to Irian. I assume it will wind up in the Premium Shop eventually.

Members
1,436 posts
3,718 battles
Just now, DustRhino said:

It is a premium ship. There is a new twist on loot boxes in the Arsenal that will allow access to Irian. I assume it will wind up in the Premium Shop eventually.

Is it as amazing as a huanghe?

[WOLFC]
Members
589 posts
1,638 battles
6 minutes ago, VVoony said:

Gunnery is the best attribute of the ship, but then Chapayev and Kutuzov have the same guns.Torpedoes are appreciated but, if you are in a situation to use them, your team is prob already losing.

From my experience with her, some maps really make good use of her torps. If you know a team is pushing 1 cap point hard between islands, you can really put a hurt on them with a two torp salvo.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,259 posts
4,211 battles
6 minutes ago, VVoony said:

The main argument is that you use Irian in conjuction with the Unique Commander that has +3% instead of +2% when you pick Demolition Expert. So on paper at least you can get a bit better fire chance than Kutuzov/Chapayev.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
302 posts
5,276 battles
2 minutes ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

It's a Huanghe on Steroids!

[WAG]
Members
464 posts
8,516 battles
4 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

The main argument is that you use Irian in conjuction with the Unique Commander that has +3% instead of +2% when you pick Demolition Expert. So on paper at least you can get a bit better fire chance than Kutuzov/Chapayev.

Irian and Kutuzov guns are similar, but do not perform the same in game. Irian range is 17.5 vs Kutuzov at 19.1. The high initial shell velocity and flat arcs allow Kutuzov to hit targets at max range, making the 1.6km range difference between the ships more than make up for 1% of improved fire starting RNG.

• Cool 1

[WOLFC]
Members
589 posts
1,638 battles
6 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Special commander also has an added ST bonus to ships. I’m using it now and I think her HP goes from 41k to 44k. Gives you a little over 3000HP extra HP. 

Really need it with how squishy she is

Members
402 posts
4,273 battles

I've found it to be quite fun in co-op with a normal CL IFHE build, stuff like last stand for when your engine gets knocked out is nice as well. I'm also running the double rudder modifications and that combined with her gun range makes for an effective combo. Virtually the only thing that can kill me so long as I don't get too close is the usual lucky battleship bot citadel from across the map. Those happen anyways and I'm used to IFHE 155mm Mogami, so it's not that big of a deal to me. I'm glad this thing came along, as I missed Kutuzov by one day thanks to being out of spare change at the time, this is sort of a second chance for me.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles

Spent 17776 doubloons and didn't get literally anything of value, zero, so I dunno, but probably the last time I ever go out of my way to buy a single crate ever again.

[TBOW]
Members
1,215 posts
11,391 battles

Irian is fun, kind of like a Kutuzov that plays more like a Zao

[SALVO]
Members
18,406 posts
18,956 battles
19 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Spent 17776 doubloons and didn't get literally anything of value, zero, so I dunno, but probably the last time I ever go out of my way to buy a single crate ever again.

It all depends on what you think has value.  I wanted to get those perma-camos as well as the Irian.  I bought all 3 of the bundle packages, but to be fair, I had a LOT of "excess" doubloons in my account, so spending about 24k on the 3 packages didn't cost me a dime (at least not that I hadn't already spent).  I got lucky and got the Irian early.  And when I purchased the 3rd package, I got the 11.5k doubloons for the automatic Irian drop (since I already had it from the first or second package).  The end result was that I got the Irian, the special captain, the 4 special perma camos, 32 days of premium, and a bunch of flags and camos, plus enough gold that I only paid a total of around 8-9k in gold for the 3 packages had a total cost of around 24k gold.  So I think that I made out just fine.

[SALVO]
Members
18,406 posts
18,956 battles
7 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Irian is fun, kind of like a Kutuzov that plays more like a Zao

Not a half bad description.   The Irian has the guns of a Kutuzov but also has the torp range (13.5 km) and concealment (under 11 km if fully spec'd out for concealment) to stealth torp at a fairly long range.   Also, while the Irian doesn't have the extreme gun range of the Kutuzov, I think that a gun range of 17.5 km is very playable even in tier 10 battles.  

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

It all depends on what you think has value.  I wanted to get those perma-camos as well as the Irian.  I bought all 3 of the bundle packages, but to be fair, I had a LOT of "excess" doubloons in my account, so spending about 24k on the 3 packages didn't cost me a dime (at least not that I hadn't already spent).  I got lucky and got the Irian early.  And when I purchased the 3rd package, I got the 11.5k doubloons for the automatic Irian drop (since I already had it from the first or second package).  The end result was that I got the Irian, the special captain, the 4 special perma camos, 32 days of premium, and a bunch of flags and camos, plus enough gold that I only paid a total of around 8-9k in gold for the 3 packages had a total cost of around 24k gold.  So I think that I made out just fine.

I didn't get any special camo's either, the ONLY thing I got were some premium time (that I didn't need) and the disposable event camo's...oh, and like 1500 doubloons back....that was it over 16 boxes.    Literally no value.

[SIM]
Members
3,048 posts
4,855 battles

I found her to be both very enjoyable to play and very effective in battle. When you can bring the torpedoes to bear against someone they make an enormous impact, and her gunnery is fantastic. 

[SALVO]
Members
18,406 posts
18,956 battles
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

I didn't get any special camo's either, the ONLY thing I got were some premium time (that I didn't need) and the disposable event camo's...oh, and like 1500 doubloons back....that was it over 16 boxes.    Literally no value.

That's rough.  The only reason I spent the gold in the first place was because I already had a good deal more than 24k gold in my account to spend, and very little to spend it on.  And I liked the look of the perma camos, and wanted the Irian, so I said what the heck, and pulled the trigger.

I'm not a big fan of loot boxes myself.  In a way, I think that these lunar loot boxes represent a minor improvement in that you were guaranteed to get an Irian, though only after buying 3 loot boxes at roughly 8k gold apiece.  The problem they have had if they'd reduced the per loot box cost down to, say, 4-5K gold is that if you won the Irian in the first two boxes, you'd have been guaranteed to get back 11.5k gold in the third box where the Irian was guaranteed, which would nearly pay for the entire 3 box package by itself.  It's a tricky thing.  I suppose they could have removed the chance to win the Irian early.  It just seems like, from WG's perspective, loot boxes with a guaranteed big prize like this one, represents a pretty big risk, at least if the chances of winning the big prize (in this case, the Irian) are too good, since I imagine that they want to keep the cost of the bundle roughly equal to what they see as the value of the bundle, particularly over the long haul of many players purchasing it.

[PVE]
Members
7,252 posts
12,516 battles
4 hours ago, Legio_X_ said:

Love this ship. With extra fire chance with the captain and overall Zao like fire starting ability, you can really put a hurting on some enemy team pushes with kiting away with HE spam, then throw out some deep water torps to get a flooding+ preminate fire after more HE hits. 

Who is the same boat? Excuse the pun

Me. I actually really like it. Not as good as Kutuzov but it is pretty fun.

4 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

How do you get the irian is it a premium boat?

For now you can only get it in the Lunar New Year crates. You can buy the crates through the arsenal with Doubloons. There is a  3stage bundle thing for it that guarantees it with the 3rd bundle BUT you have to buy the 1st bundle then the 2nd (in order) to get to the 3rd. Bundles are 8888 doubloons each. If the ship drops early (bundle 1 or 2) you get 11,500 doubloons for Irian at the end if you get the 3rd. It also comes with one of the new special PA Capt's with 10pts and there is an alternate perma camo in the mix too. You also stand a chance of getting it through a Lunar NY crate you get in the Fly Strike Win event although that would be very lucky. You can buy Lunar NY crates in the shop as well and hope it drops. Right now you can't buy the ship itself directly. It only comes in crates..

4 hours ago, abyssofthetriffid said:

Ah..."amazing" Huanghe??? Really??? :Smile_amazed:

Irian is a Mikhail Kutuzov without smoke that has 13.5km deepwater torps (same as T10 PA DD YueYang I believe) and a little less gun range. It's a long range HE spammer and torp spammer. It's actually pretty good but it is fragile like all RU CL's.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
223 posts
2,689 battles
On 2/8/2019 at 11:47 AM, abyssofthetriffid said:

Lol. I like my Huanghe.  It's a wannabe DD that can do okay as a DD hunter.  With an okay AA armament.  With the way the game is now, I can do better with this cruiser than in a destroyer.

I bought some crates.  Got the special camo for the Irian but no ship.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,795 posts
On 2/8/2019 at 9:24 AM, Zenn3k said:

Wow, RNGesus really didn't like you, did he?

Spent a total of 7900 doubloons, got all the camos, the Irian and the Lo Yang. Actually came out decently on loot boxes, which is shocking to me.:Smile_teethhappy:

[LEGIT]
Members
1,491 posts
23,067 battles

I got lucky with an Irian in one of the free Asian new year containers.

68 knot torps with the 8 sec reload booster and 13.5 km range can really deny areas for a while.  A lot of reds just stumble into them.

Guns are a little floaty compared to Ruskie ships, but better than RN CL and the Wooster, so work just fine.

I've said it before, my biggest regret in this game was not getting the Kutusov.  But the Irian is a lot of fun and i just play her like the kiting tack driver she is.  If she had the T8 heal that Edinburgh and Prinz Eugen have she could be a real terror instead of a constant annoyance.