You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
GSXstage1

I WAS WRONG

42 comments in this topic

[TRG]
Members
219 posts
13,097 battles

I joined in after the first update with a quick dislike of everything about it. I voiced my opinion quick and harshly against the update, and the CV's in general. Not going to go into alot of tech reasons why but I kept playing, Watching and learning. I CHANGED the way I play and after a few days Found I was actually having fun. While through trial and error I had BAD games but I started having Good games also. Playing the DD different after paying close attention to what was happening made a huge difference. My Problem Was, After playing for two years the same way, I had to adjust. I was uncomfortable with that to say the least and voiced it over and over calling for CV's to be banned etc. I changed my DD play and my Cruiser play. I got more aggressive with My BB's and I find if a group of ships with good AA specs advance on a cap You CAN win. Laying back Ive seen causes most losses. Sure,,The CV came after us many times, and we shot down tons of planes and capped. I leanrned just a Navys did back in the day, with new technology you had to adapt at changing situations or just be frustrated and die. I was to quick in my Judgement and now with the Hot Fix I find it even better for the New way Im playing. Next time I Won't jump on the Bandwagon and just cast out negative thoughts until after some time has gone by and I adjust strategy. I know many still think the Update is bad and I feel for all concerned on both sides of the coin. For me, By adjusting I find the game fun again and very Playable. Hope all goes well to all the Captains out there. Good Luck, and Good Shooting!

• Cool 16
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 5

[S-N-D]
Members
2,048 posts
6,102 battles
13 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

I joined in after the first update with a quick dislike of everything about it. I voiced my opinion quick and harshly against the update, and the CV's in general. Not going to go into alot of tech reasons why but I kept playing, Watching and learning. I CHANGED the way I play and after a few days Found I was actually having fun. While through trial and error I had BAD games but I started having Good games also. Playing the DD different after paying close attention to what was happening made a huge difference. My Problem Was, After playing for two years the same way, I had to adjust. I was uncomfortable with that to say the least and voiced it over and over calling for CV's to be banned etc. I changed my DD play and my Cruiser play. I got more aggressive with My BB's and I find if a group of ships with good AA specs advance on a cap You CAN win. Laying back Ive seen causes most losses. Sure,,The CV came after us many times, and we shot down tons of planes and capped. I leanrned just a Navys did back in the day, with new technology you had to adapt at changing situations or just be frustrated and die. I was to quick in my Judgement and now with the Hot Fix I find it even better for the New way Im playing. Next time I Won't jump on the Bandwagon and just cast out negative thoughts until after some time has gone by and I adjust strategy. I know many still think the Update is bad and I feel for all concerned on both sides of the coin. For me, By adjusting I find the game fun again and very Playable. Hope all goes well to all the Captains out there. Good Luck, and Good Shooting!

That's nice dear.

• Funny 3
  • Bad 8

[TRG]
Members
219 posts
13,097 battles
1 minute ago, _Caliph_ said:

That's nice dear.

Obviously you are a good Player. Hopefully you will be on some teams that can match your ability. I have run into the same thing. Last Night in a Shimmy, I stayed back with 1 cruiser at a cap while the rest lemming trained to c and camped the whole game. I did 80,000 damage and we lost. We all are cursed sometimes with players who don't do as well sometimes etc. Good Luck to you

[H_]
Members
1,212 posts

Learning is an important skill.......  Adapt, overcome and survive is what out hosts are banking on; as they did, in their other games, when they made them more arcade like....it improved their revenue stream I guess.

What is going on underneath this massive change is where the player base must decide: to adapt with it or leave.  In the predecessor games, everyone I know left en masse and have never returned.  There are far better game out there  to play.

Did this hurt our host....?  In many ways yes: because negative publicity compounds....  All of their IP's have fallen off "to try and play" lists at local universities I visit....  New gamers haven't even heard of the "World of" titles nor, would they play them:  too boring.  Too Military.  Too small.  Heck, these young gamers that I interact with, have never even studied WW2 history and yet, can name every Marvel and DC character from when I was a kid a half a century ago !  Lol, OW, FN, WoW, et al. occupy their minds.  We even had an e_Sports convention locally !!!  Want to bet that WO..... was even a thought there?  We are a Mature, small niche market and one person is important because our average age isn't 18.......

This makes this game a mature, small niche market (less than 50,000 players on line playing as an average per hour.)  The most I've seen is just under 17K prime time NA....  Can we afford  to lose people when the game itself is really pretty fun and seriously didn't need this seriously negative event???   I don't know......  But, I do know that I can't play the game yet:  8.0-1 ate something software wise and I'm not able to load them....  I'll at least try later this month when I get my software scrubbed and re-installed. 

It's good you figured out how to have fun !!

• Cool 1

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
641 posts
23,064 battles

Can't say I agree wholeheartedly but it is true that changing your play style has had good results. Well done you for voicing your opinion; be it popular or not, it is valid.

• Cool 2

[TRG]
Members
219 posts
13,097 battles
Just now, Prothall said:

….sponsored by...WARGAMING!

lmbo. Look at my previous posts on this subject. You will plainly see my quick knee jerk reaction and negative opinion on the update.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
20 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

For me, By adjusting I find the game fun again and very Playable.

Kudos to you for having the guts to eat humble pie in front of us all. :Smile_great:

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
610 posts
12,822 battles

One of biggest balancing tools in this game between gun/torpedo boats is concealment. CVs with their fast moving planes have taken a large chunk of this tool out of the game.

CVs are unbalanced.

They will continue to be unbalanced forever.

Telling a concealment ship you have to change the way you play is telling someone you are obsolete and no longer suited for the role you were built for.

• Cool 4

[TRG]
Members
219 posts
13,097 battles
3 minutes ago, Prothall said:

One of biggest balancing tools in this game between gun/torpedo boats is concealment. CVs with their fast moving planes have taken a large chunk of this tool out of the game.

CVs are unbalanced.

Telling a concealment ship you have to change the way you play is telling someone you are obsolete and no longer suited for the role you were built for.

Yes, Your correct. But I find by being patient,,,In my personal exp the last couple day, Ive had good games by NOT rushing in with a dd and waiting for a better time to attack. Some of it has been luck. A few times My ideas worked. And I communicate with other players and it has yielded some good games. And BBs became obsolete because of CV's,,Yet we all still play them.

Edited by GSXstage1

[H_]
Members
1,212 posts
23 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Yes, Your correct. But I find by being patient,,,In my personal exp the last couple day, Ive had good games by NOT rushing in with a dd and waiting for a better time to attack. Some of it has been luck. A few times My ideas worked. And I communicate with other players and it has yielded some good games. And BBs became obsolete because of CV's,,Yet we all still play them.

Yes, BB's were obsolete from 1940 on !  Ask the Germans (Bismark) where one of the most powerful ships built couldn't even shoot down bi-wing aircraft !!!  Or the HMS Repulse and Prince of Wales in 41 along with several other British ships in 41........  The CV was the WW2 meta.....  Then, AA went off the rails and by 43, every open surface was used to mount AA weapons and ships looked like porcupines.  This is the reality of this game and WG is pursuing that reality in 8.0........WW2 is all about Carriers !!!

The problem is really simple:  the maps we use are simply too small !!!  Look to history......  Even finding a Surface Action Group without radar is a matter of intuition, situational awareness and a lot of the time luck !  And, CV's were everywhere !!!

Their (cv's) effective weapons range is 150 + "miles"..........  So, it is correct that WG take on carrier play in WW2........to make them the strategic assets they really were, and, they were deadly no doubt, 1940 to later 1943; and, a great threat from 1943 to war end. What about the Kamakazi's?  What about......

The root cause of the problems is: the maps are too small !  Yes, the F3 key needs to.....  Yes, carrier had limited aircraft.   Yes, radar should give the defenders an edge since the range ceased to be optically acquired....and radar should give the defending carriers CAP better damage potential...  And, there are other things that should have been discussed before they deployed this mess....  Larger maps also gives the DD's stealth back.  Balance is space on the ocean.......the more space, the more time you have to act or react.   Food for thought, eh?!

Edited by Asym_KS

Members
610 posts
12,822 battles
31 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

I understand your point,

It has been said many times on this forum that this is not a simulator but a game.

Games are supposed to be fun.

In my opinion trying to balance the planes in this game removes the fun factor.

Most teams are cookie cutter anymore.

Every CA/CL is AA specced, So are the BBs.

So are the DDs if they have any AA to spec into.

What happened to choices?

What happened to allowing people to pattern their ships towards different styles?

Everything is cookie cutter now that CVs are back in business.

Boring.

• Cool 2

[PSV]
Members
19 posts
4,238 battles
1 hour ago, GSXstage1 said:

Over the last 7 days you have not had one good DD game. Not one......prove me wrong

[TRG]
Members
219 posts
13,097 battles

Last Night in my Shimmy. Almost 80,000 hp. If that is a Bad game to you, sorry

[YARRR]
Members
585 posts
4,877 battles

Repulse and Prince of Wales were sunk by land based aircraft, Mitsubishi G3m and G4M medium bombers to be exact.

Edited by ElAurens

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,552 posts
1,049 battles

It helps that they nerf rocket planes in 0.8.0.1.

[SHAFT]
Members
314 posts
11,756 battles
18 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

Last Night in my Shimmy. Almost 80,000 hp. If that is a Bad game to you, sorry

IMHO that's gonna be the new standard for dds, especially IJN.

Having to speck into some sort of AA/with survivability means giving up some other captain skills/ship modules that would have contributed to being able to do those over 100k damage games consistently.

Been focused on ranked and grinding xp Narai for the last couple of days. But, I don't thinks I did too badly in Randoms across all the classes (except Cv) considering that I was experimenting with a couple of new captain/module builds. Those dd games were with my Tash and Ognevoi as I am grinding both lines at the moment.

image.thumb.png.b6c267edffd5a9a871e656b3237aded0.png

• Cool 1

[PIZZA]
[PIZZA]
Members
411 posts
4,222 battles

If you haven't check out iChase's video " How I Would Have Done CV Rework in World of Warships " I highly suggest you do.  IMO, it hits the nail on the head.

I started playing this game less than a year ago.  I immediately was hooked.  I, like many others, started spending money on this game buying some premium time and a few ships.  I, also like many others, hated playing with carriers.  When a surface ships shoots at you, you can shoot back.  With planes all you can do is pray to RNG because that is what they are fighting, RNG.  The end result for surface ships is trying to play the game with blood thirsty mosquitos constantly harrasing you.  

This rework was a huge wake-up call for me.  As a result of not wanting to play randoms with carriers, I bought a single player game for less than $20.  I am having more fun than I have been playing WOWS.  I can tell you that for sure.  It made me realize I was heading down the wrong path with WOWS.  Video games are not about pouring money into them.  WOWS frustrates and bores me into spending money.  In a way I am glad they have not removed carriers.  Had WG removed carriers I would have continued dumping money in this game.  This is not a "WG you lost money from this guy" post.  I truly believe WG will continue to rake in money especially from consoles.  I am just glad to go back to playing video games for simple pleasure.  Games that are not trying to constantly get me to spend money.  Once my premium time runs out I do not see myself renewing it. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,265 posts
10,432 battles
3 hours ago, GSXstage1 said:

Great post thanks for sharing +1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,356 posts
14,155 battles
3 hours ago, GSXstage1 said:

People will adapt to anything … by lowering their standards 

I hear the Hakuryu was a lot of fun … for a while :)

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLF6]
Members
2,299 posts
5,124 battles
3 hours ago, Prothall said:

CVs are unbalanced.

Indeed. It isn’t a different playstyle. It’s a different GAME. 

[TRG]
Members
219 posts
13,097 battles
57 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

People will adapt to anything … by lowering their standards 

I hear the Hakuryu was a lot of fun … for a while :)

I bet she was. And I saw her Devestate and rule entire games. Fun for the 1 CV player, But Fair for the rest of the Players? We each have our own opinions

Edited by GSXstage1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,356 posts
14,155 battles
4 minutes ago, GSXstage1 said:

I bet she was. And I saw her Devestate and rule entire games. Fun for the 1 CV player, But Fair for the rest of the Players? We each have our own opinions

I was kidding … sorry if that came across as an endorsement of any CV or support of any of the reworks