Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
puxflacet

A note about AA sector reinforcement

10 comments in this topic

Modder
370 posts
14 battles

I think this feature has a potential to bring something into the game. The CV gameplay desperately needs some tactical element. Make the tactical play about CVs finding a weakspot in the team's AA cover. The planes have speed and manoeuvrability for that task.

- Reinforced sectors have to make a real difference compare to weakened ones, practically making reinforced sector no fly zone.

- CV has to see the sectors of enemy ships all the time in order to plan the attacks.

uxaGD0Y.jpg

- Players should also see sectors of ally ships when they push some key (maybe just ALT, whatever). This will enable them to cover each other and deny enemy planes solution for the attack.

GjiV8le.jpg

• Bad 4

[INR]
Members
655 posts
3,719 battles

I'm all for more information (about friendlies) being apparent, but that looks like it'll clutter up the UI very quickly.

I don't think CVs need to be able to see enemy sectors, either. Battles are waged based on incomplete information, and that would give them too much power.

Modder
370 posts
14 battles
57 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

I'm all for more information (about friendlies) being apparent, but that looks like it'll clutter up the UI very quickly.

That's why i wrote that element would be visible after pushing some key. Maybe even the "O" key. The selection of your own sector can be somewhere in the corner but you would be able to see other ship sectors in normal view.

For the CVs this would be bread and butter of their existence, so they should see the enemy sectors all the time.

57 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

I don't think CVs need to be able to see enemy sectors, either. Battles are waged based on incomplete information, and that would give them too much power.

But the whole point is to open up some tactical play. That can not be done without informations. Right know its just russian roulette, you have no clue. CVs are picking their targets just based on their tier and distance from the team, but everything you can do after that is just cross your fingers and pray. If CV could see that your ship has the side facing towards his planes reinforced, you could force him to move the planes into proper position or just scare him off.

• Bad 1

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
433 posts
11,135 battles

Well, maybe if all we were playing against were CV's your "circle the wagons" defensive strategy might work. However, DD torps or BB guns might want a word with you. 

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,061 posts

I'd rather they just did away with it, it's a useless distraction, and its presence is adding noise variables to the AA discussion and balancing. 

[YORHA]
Members
3,790 posts
6,568 battles

There is an attempt already in game to do this.  The tracers on a reinforced section are a different colour than from the non-reinforced section.  The problem is that the colour difference is too subtle for most people to see while in the heat of battle.  It needs to be more dramatic.

• Cool 1

[INR]
Members
655 posts
3,719 battles
2 hours ago, JCC45 said:

There is an attempt already in game to do this.  The tracers on a reinforced section are a different colour than from the non-reinforced section.  The problem is that the colour difference is too subtle for most people to see while in the heat of battle.  It needs to be more dramatic.

I agree. Maybe a brighter red would work.

[YORHA]
Members
3,790 posts
6,568 battles
Just now, WuYixiang said:

I agree. Maybe a brighter red would work.

That is what I was thinking.

Modder
370 posts
14 battles
On 2/8/2019 at 3:40 PM, Jolly_Rodgered said:

Well, maybe if all we were playing against were CV's your "circle the wagons" defensive strategy might work. However, DD torps or BB guns might want a word with you. 

Ships already tend to cluster when planes are approaching, as they should, thats nothing new. This only brings a new level to it. When enemy planes are approaching, you check which side your teammate has reinforced and move your ship into position to maximize your AA efficiency. When CV sees that, he withdraws his planes and will be waiting for your mistake or simply find another target...

Every tactic has to have a counter, so if DD torps or BB shells will find you when dealing with planes. Good for them and their CV. But everyone involved had necessary informations to succeed in that situation. Which you certainly can not say about it right now.

Sign in to follow this