You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
legozer

DDs are very playable

79 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles

I've had a 60% WR in DDs (of a WIDE range of tiers, nations and types) since the carrier apocalypse, an haven't seen an appreciable diminution in damage numbers except at tier 4, and in Shimakaze. As I've stated before, I am a very average player, but I'm posting way above average win numbers, especially in the unplayable destroyer type.

Why?

This is why:

image.thumb.png.bd8f4e8654cbd12a757ef076698b6a17.png

3 solo caps with 2 cvs per side. I have approached caps with a "business as usual" attitude, and now find myself all by my wonderful lonesome self in each one, over and over and over again. Radar cruisers are taking their sweet time getting up to position, and enemy DDs are quaking in their boots over the prospect that they might get spotted by the big bad boogeyman in the sky. Meanwhile, me and players like me have concluded that there aren't any more planes up there than ever there was in a cv game, and are just taking the caps in the same we we always did, and our teams are winning because of it, and it's awesome and I'm happy.

The screenshot posted is not an exceptional game. It's the new normal for me.

Anyway, thanks for letting me have all your caps, you guys. 

• Cool 7

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,049 posts
14,767 battles

Good for you :cap_like:

Me im finding my time better used elsewhere, i dont have time to waste playing a game that will change again next week

• Cool 5

[NSEW]
Members
708 posts
9,056 battles
5 minutes ago, legozer said:

I've had a 60% WR in DDs (of a WIDE range of tiers, nations and types) since the carrier apocalypse, an haven't seen an appreciable diminution in damage numbers except at tier 4, and in Shimakaze. As I've stated before, I am a very average player, but I'm posting way above average win numbers, especially in the unplayable destroyer type.

Why?

This is why:

image.thumb.png.bd8f4e8654cbd12a757ef076698b6a17.png

I noticed that "Shimakaze Destroyed by a rocket...Hakuryu". You lost me at rocket.

• Funny 2

[ODIN]
Members
658 posts
2,845 battles
3 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

I noticed that "Shimakaze Destroyed by a rocket...Hakuryu". You lost me at rocket.

Still a win, and a pretty good decent one by the look of it.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
6 minutes ago, LowSpeed_US said:

I have been destroyed many times by dive bombers in the past, too. Most of the damage I sustained was in the early stages of mid game, after I capped B & C and the reds were forced to push. I got super radared by a Seattle/Chapayev spearhead, and was focused fired on. The Hak finished me off with only about 15 seconds left in the game.

Edited by legozer

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
683 posts
5,886 battles

DD gameplay has changed only slightly but its back to normal in a way as well.

If there are CVs in game I approach a cap more cautiously, especially in the first minute as enemy CVs tend to do fly overs looking for soft targets of opportunity.

Otherwise its business as usual, cap and contest and farm the salty BB tears.

• Funny 2

[USCC2]
Members
4,408 posts

It is encouraging to hear that some (I'm sure it is not just you) have been doing well.

Unfortunately a person doesn't even have to survive to be on the winning side AND if you have a DD on both sides: one of those side's DDs will win. So WR is meh in reflection of if something is worth playing.

I think it really comes down to whether they are still enjoyable to play and whether, if you play a ship type to a good standard, your XP and credits reflect that.

Again this is unfortunate because for several years, across all servers, the DD has survived the least, done the least damage, had the least reward and with the new patch yesterday - seem to be the only ship type the CV can get near to now without being shredded.

I applaud your results, but the WoWs community is more than just you or I - its everyone, and I doubt that if it hasn't changed for several years, why would it now?

A former DD main who now enjoys playing BBs more now. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[-TIC-]
Members
392 posts
2,379 battles

Does this anecdotal evidence change the fact that a CV can sink any DD away from the AA blob easily as long he's not busy killing someone else? No.

[ODIN]
Members
658 posts
2,845 battles
15 minutes ago, legozer said:

I have been destroyed many times by dive bombers in the past, too. Most of the damage I sustained was in the early stages of mid game, after I capped B & C and the reds were forced to push. I got super radared by a Seattle/Chapayev spearhead, and was focused fired on. The Hak finished me off with only about 15 seconds left in the game.

I misread that as "I got super raptured by a Seattle/Chapayev", and found that to be a hilarious mental image.

[ODIN]
Members
658 posts
2,845 battles
1 minute ago, Tentakkel said:

Does this anecdotal evidence change the fact that a CV can sink any DD away from the AA blob easily as long he's not busy killing someone else? No.

A fortuitous rocket strike from a WiP carrier against an isolated DD. If CVs can't do good damage then, then they just wont be able to damage DDs at all.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
2 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

A fortuitous rocket strike from a WiP carrier against an isolated DD. If CVs can't do good damage then, then they just wont be able to damage DDs at all.

As a DD main, I gotta say, it seems to me like CVs got mega nerfed overall. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
5 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

I misread that as "I got super raptured by a Seattle/Chapayev", and found that to be a hilarious mental image.

Some of us enjoy* a bit of punishment, sailor. ;)

*Those of us with AR equipped torpedo monsters. What were you thinking?

Members
1,291 posts
7,636 battles

DDs are still playable, you just have to play far more safe in the first few min rather than charging full speed ahead for a cap/flank.  You have to stick with your team for longer, rather than running off.  You should of been doing that with the old CVs as well.   and with all of the radar, you should  be more careful around caps .

that is not to say that balance between CV and DDs doesn't need more work.

[-TIC-]
Members
392 posts
2,379 battles
10 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

lol... I guess you're one of those who says "why can't the DD just park his ship in a blob". The point is that there is nothing a DD can do to defend against this. Nothing at all to hit back with, while the CV can conveniently delete the ship with zero risk to himself. At worst he might lose a plane or two, so what? CVs are a completely broken ship type, currently being kept on artificial life support by WG. That's the ugly truth.

And to those who say that DDs are "playable". What you mean is that DDs can hope to get so lucky that the CV forgets about them while they dare to sail some distance from the fleet in the hopes of actually doing what DDs are supposed to do. DDs are only "playable" in the sense that you can actually hit the "Battle" button and start with the rest of the ships in a game. How long you last from there is entirely up to either staying in the blob indefinitely - not doing anything at all. Or hoping that the enemy CV player is an idiot who doesn't seize the opportunity for an easy kill.

Edited by Tentakkel
  • Cool 1

[SALTY]
Members
339 posts
5,476 battles

lol... I guess you're one of those who says "why can't the DD just park his ship in a blob". The point is that there is nothing a DD can do to defend against this. Nothing at all to hit back with, while the CV can conveniently delete the ship with zero risk to himself. CVs are a completely broken ship type, currently being kept on artificial life support by WG. That's the ugly truth.

Probably should tell that to the Lexington I just faced in my Black. Killed 19 of his planes (pretty much his entire supply of rocket planes) without much HP loss to myself with zero AA spec, didn't even have the modules.  I actively dodged and he whiffed most of his attacks. Once he was down to bombers, it was over. I was all by myself too, not a single other ship supporting with AA. Ended up with 158k dmg and a little over 2k base XP, good for tops on the team.

DDs are just fine. They have never been a license to be stupid. A good CV pre-rework could easily kill you outright with cross drops or just perma spot you with planes while he strikes elsewhere. Those are both no longer options. I'll happily take rocket planes being annoying in exchange for both of those options being removed.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
4 minutes ago, harikari25 said:

DDs are just fine. They have never been a license to be stupid

Oooooo...that's a BINGO!

4 minutes ago, harikari25 said:

A good CV pre-rework could easily kill you outright with cross drops or just perma spot you with planes while he strikes elsewhere. Those are both no longer options. I'll happily take rocket planes being annoying in exchange for both of those options being removed.

TESTIFY!

[-TIC-]
Members
392 posts
2,379 battles
1 minute ago, harikari25 said:

Probably should tell that to the Lexington I just faced in my Black. Killed 19 of his planes (pretty much his entire supply of rocket planes) without much HP loss to myself with zero AA spec, didn't even have the modules.  I actively dodged and he whiffed most of his attacks. Once he was down to bombers, it was over. I was all by myself too, not a single other ship supporting with AA. Ended up with 158k dmg and a little over 2k base XP, good for tops on the team.

DDs are just fine. They have never been a license to be stupid. A good CV pre-rework could easily kill you outright with cross drops or just perma spot you with planes while he strikes elsewhere. Those are both no longer options. I'll happily take rocket planes being annoying in exchange for both of those options being removed.

So you were up against a CV player who can't aim. What do you do in a DD with poor AA against a CV player who actually knows how his planes work? These isolated and ideal incidents you keep coming up with are worthless in a discussion. And I have yet to see anyone come up with any sort of retort on why it's fine that CV players can play on EZ mode, make as many mistakes as they want and still not be sunk as a result.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
3 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

I have yet to see anyone come up with any sort of retort on why it's fine that CV players can play on EZ mode, make as many mistakes as they want and still not be sunk as a result.

I'll take a stab:

I believe that it's because that's how CVs work. Like it's their entire point.

And it's not EZ mode. It's actually very difficult to play and do well. Give it a try.

• Bad 1

[-TIC-]
Members
392 posts
2,379 battles
Just now, legozer said:

I'll take a stab:

I believe that it's because that's how CVs work. Like it's their entire point.

And it's not EZ mode. It's actually very difficult to play and do well. Give it a try.

I feel like we're getting to the core of the matter here...

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles
5 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

What do you do in a DD with poor AA against a CV player who actually knows how his planes work

Use smoke and positioning. It's not really hard.

[ARGSY]
Members
1,711 posts
10,027 battles

I feel like we're getting to the core of the matter here...

Yes: you don't know what you're talking about.

[-TIC-]
Members
392 posts
2,379 battles
Just now, legozer said:

Use smoke and positioning. It's not really hard.

"positioning"? what is that even supposed to mean? The smoke consumables are highly limited and on a long cooldown. Smoke is a very bad solution.

[-TIC-]
Members
392 posts
2,379 battles
1 minute ago, legozer said:

Yes: you don't know what you're talking about.

Is that so? Then it should be easy for you to disprove me in a discussion using real arguments.

[ODIN]
Members
658 posts
2,845 battles
24 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

lol... I guess you're one of those who says "why can't the DD just park his ship in a blob". The point is that there is nothing a DD can do to defend against this. Nothing at all to hit back with, while the CV can conveniently delete the ship with zero risk to himself. At worst he might lose a plane or two, so what? CVs are a completely broken ship type, currently being kept on artificial life support by WG. That's the ugly truth.

And to those who say that DDs are "playable". What you mean is that DDs can hope to get so lucky that the CV forgets about them while they dare to sail some distance from the fleet in the hopes of actually doing what DDs are supposed to do. DDs are only "playable" in the sense that you can actually hit the "Battle" button and start with the rest of the ships in a game. How long you last from there is entirely up to either staying in the blob indefinitely - not doing anything at all. Or hoping that the enemy CV player is an idiot who doesn't seize the opportunity for an easy kill.

So if a CV can't strike an isolate DD that isn't using terrain and smoke to their advantage... are DDs just supposed to be completely immune to CVs?

[SALTY]
Members
339 posts
5,476 battles
10 minutes ago, Tentakkel said:

What do you do in a DD with poor AA against a CV player who actually knows how his planes work?

What did you do previously? Put yourself in a position where being picked off doesn't come easily. That goes for any ship with poor AA.

Nothing about the DD-CV interactions has actually changed beyond the aforementioned rocket planes. That's actually a net gain for DDs, especially for ones that don't have access to DFAA. DDs at tier 8 and above actually have murderously powerful and accurate AA fire, the most accurate in the game in fact. I see you are just now getting to tier 8 in your DDs, so trust me it gets better.

The thing that has changed is the amount of CVs you are seeing on average. That's pretty much it. Being in a CV match required a more cautious approach previously and that too hasn't changed. You need to be smart about when you are exposed and how far you venture from allies. It's not a lot to ask that you put a little thought into your play.

Edited by harikari25