Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
misanthrope0

Why are we not seeing much CV vs Cv combat?

35 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

4,732
[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,387 posts
4,550 battles

can't tell if a troll or very serious

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
597
[1STBG]
Members
1,163 posts
4,993 battles

Fighter planes are now a consumable and loiter over the area they are launched. No direct control.  Carrier AA is good so one squadron attacking the opponent's CV is a bad idea until late game or desperate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,172
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,217 posts
13,845 battles

AT T4 (which is all the experience I have now), CVs are very capable of defending themselves AUTOMATICALLY.  They auto launch a fighter, have good self protection AA, and the planes themselves can't do much damage on a strike.  And...the planes are slow while the carriers often hold back.  Sooooo...it's a long ride in...against flak and fighters...and if you're lucky...you get a hit that doesn't do squat.

You can't alpha strike a carrier like days gone by.

That said, I've had many games where the other surface combatants are all wiped, leaving just the carriers to go at it.  Those are kinda long drawn out affairs...for all the reasons above.

Edited by Soshi_Sone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20
[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
113 posts
4,428 battles

I think you're hurting your team by focusing on a single, distant target that can defend itself pretty well. I'd rather support my team by spotting ships and helping them hurt the front line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,520
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

You see, carriers were historically a big deal so they have to be in the game.

Historically, they also gunned for each other pretty aggressively, but of course it would be silly to include any aspect of that in this arcade game.

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,654
[PSP]
Members
8,044 posts
7 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Fighter planes are now a consumable and loiter over the area they are launched. No direct control.  Carrier AA is good so one squadron attacking the opponent's CV is a bad idea until late game or desperate. 

This is pretty much the answer, especially at high tiers. The tier X CVs are essentially immune to plane attacks by a single squadron. A concerted effort by two CVs usually can get some torps through though. However, with the new torp mechanic the planes have to anticipate and stay steady for a very long time so are even more vulnerable to AA fire. The CV player can take the consumable that gives an extra fighter so that the CV launches two and a squadron can be recalled and another launched that itself can call in more fighters.  What CV players mainly do against other CVs is to spot them for the team. 

Edited by Snargfargle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
882
[POD]
Beta Testers
3,319 posts
5,016 battles
Just now, mofton said:

You see, carriers were historically a big deal so they have to be in the game.

this is the part where the extremist faction "remove CVs" ignore.

the allies didn't win  sea battles with destroyers and battleships,but with planes and aircraft carriers.

  • Cool 3
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,520
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles
19 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

this is the part where the extremist faction "remove CVs" ignore.

the allies didn't win  sea battles with destroyers and battleships,but with planes and aircraft carriers.

Did you read on?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
53 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

AT T4 (which is all the experience I have now), CVs are very capable of defending themselves AUTOMATICALLY.  They auto launch a fighter, have good self protection AA, and the planes themselves can't do much damage on a strike.  And...the planes are slow while the carriers often hold back.  Sooooo...it's a long ride in...against flak and fighters...and if you're lucky...you get a hit that doesn't do squat.

You can't alpha strike a carrier like days gone by.

That said, I've had many games where the other surface combatants are all wiped, leaving just the carriers to go at it.  Those are kinda long drawn out affairs...for all the reasons above.

I have been noticing that too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,173
[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,933 posts
9,053 battles

Attacking a CV with your planes is even more ill advised than RTS (unless you were against a complete muppet a waste of time and planes as many who tried to snipe me learned). And fighters mean trying to fly your planes at the enemy planes and hope they ai fighters engage them, or engage his fighters, and fighters are also as imbalanced as in RTS where the +2 ones just slaughter any plane lower tier than them.

Actually got to a point in a match where I stopped attacking the red CV I had closed on with planes and just let my secondaries kill him. Was faster than trying to launch planes at that point. 

CV vs CV has been all but removed in direct fights, now it's who does more damage first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
88
[RLGN]
Beta Testers
100 posts
1,810 battles

I for one have learned stop worrying and welcome our carrier overlords, praise be.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166
[SALTY]
Members
339 posts
5,488 battles

There's no point in striking out the other CV because it takes about twice as long in terms of travel time, and the enemy CV has plenty of consumables and AA to defend itself. It might be worth it in a T6 game if you can pull it off but it's not going to work anywhere else. I just laugh when the enemy team is throwing planes away on me early game. Those are planes that are not harassing my DDs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[NSEW]
Members
719 posts
9,060 battles
3 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

AT T4

Is it  just me, or has anyone else read that as "AT-4"...I need sleep.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
164
[ODIN]
Members
673 posts
2,932 battles

Are you talking about carrier sniping, or carriers stopping enemy air strikes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
138
[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
686 posts
5,944 battles

In the PTS, CVs hunted one another so that they could farm other ships at will.

The CV aircraft consumable and other elements to help her survive more were introduced to mitigate this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,920
[KNMSU]
Members
4,726 posts
5,104 battles

A lot of CVs appear to "hold" the fighter consumable for self-defense, rather than using it to break up enemy air attacks. As a result, attacks on CVs right up until the end of the match tends to result in very-low-to-no damage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
370
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,240 posts
4,137 battles
6 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

this is the part where the extremist faction "remove CVs" ignore.

the allies didn't win  sea battles with destroyers and battleships,but with planes and aircraft carriers.

True...but CV battles were also conducted far beyond visual detection and gun range of surface combatants. The scale and map size of WOWS is too small to include CVs realistically without causing balance problems.

Oh...wait...we are already there...

This is something the extremist fanbois ignore.

Dont get me wrong...I dont care if CVs are in game or not. Trying to pound square pegs into round holes or jousting windmills would be a better use of time than trying to balance CVs in a surface shooter arcade. One side or the other will likely remain broken.

Edited by BBsquid
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,598
[SIM]
Members
3,043 posts
4,848 battles
5 hours ago, harikari25 said:

There's no point in striking out the other CV because it takes about twice as long in terms of travel time, and the enemy CV has plenty of consumables and AA to defend itself. It might be worth it in a T6 game if you can pull it off but it's not going to work anywhere else. I just laugh when the enemy team is throwing planes away on me early game. Those are planes that are not harassing my DDs.

:Smile_great:

This guy gets it. Yesterday I had a Lexington trying his damnedest to carrier snipe me in my Saipan. At first I ignored it and focussed on countering enemy DDs, but my team was pulling ahead rather well and this Lexington just would not let it go, so I began to return the favor and tie him up completely for the rest of the battle. Neither one of us killed each other, but his team needed him a lot more than he needed me, and his attempt to carrier snipe contributed to his loss, letting our DDs have free reign while I chased his with rocket planes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
78
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
804 posts
5,880 battles
22 hours ago, Snargfargle said:

This is pretty much the answer, especially at high tiers. The tier X CVs are essentially immune to plane attacks by a single squadron. A concerted effort by two CVs usually can get some torps through though. However, with the new torp mechanic the planes have to anticipate and stay steady for a very long time so are even more vulnerable to AA fire. The CV player can take the consumable that gives an extra fighter so that the CV launches two and a squadron can be recalled and another launched that itself can call in more fighters.  What CV players mainly do against other CVs is to spot them for the team. 

The this needs to change removing the possibility of a better CV player making use of his skills to hunt down and take out the enemy CV is a major loss. I'm surprised CV's are not taking exception to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
20 posts
5,291 battles

The CVs went from irrelevant to ruining the game.  Just finished another round where it went down to the 4 CVs before the game timed out.   I did not buy a Premium account so I could be one of ten targets for the CV players.  The game is no longer fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,284
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,888 posts
12,189 battles
22 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

this is the part where the extremist faction "remove CVs" ignore.

the allies didn't win  sea battles with destroyers and battleships,but with planes and aircraft carriers.

There were more battles won by surface ships in WW2 than by aircraft carriers.  Just sayin'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
284 posts
4,480 battles
7 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

There were more battles won by surface ships in WW2 than by aircraft carriers.  Just sayin'

So that's why carriers are the set piece for modern fleets and big gun bbs are museums....just sayin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
292
[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
907 posts
7,591 battles

I'm just seeing people running around the forum like headless chickens lodging complaints saying that CVs are just raining damage on surface ships with near impunity, their AA suites being as useful as stormtrooper armor.

Just like with the IJN torpedo nerfs, if the devs had just tweaked a few problem facets of the offending system, then the whole problem would have been avoided, and not have necessitated an enormous effort creating entirely new facets of the game that must be balanced. For the IJN torpedo DDs, had they just un-nerfed the spotting range of the torpedoes, then we would not have needed deep-water torpedoes at all, nor would we have needed the addition of an entirely separate gun boat DD line for the IJN. With the CVs, had the devs removed fighter strafing and somewhat automated the attack runs of bombers, then we would not have needed this enormous overhaul of AA, and the entire new CV system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
882
[POD]
Beta Testers
3,319 posts
5,016 battles
5 hours ago, crzyhawk said:

There were more battles won by surface ships in WW2 

exactly,by aircraft carriers.after all they are not SPACE ships,but surface ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×