Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
HBZK100

Baltimore Seems Better Than Buffalo

8 comments in this topic

Members
1,464 posts
2,222 battles

I'm not sure if it is just me not playing Buffalo right, but I do much better in the Balitmore vs the Buffalo. Seems like Buffalo is more of a glass cannon vs the Baltimore which can tank pretty well.

I haven't looked at the exact Armour values of each ship yet. But it seems like the Buffalo is less armored.

So how do you play Buffalo? What are her strengths and what is a good build for her?

[PQUOD]
Members
1,076 posts
7,714 battles
13 minutes ago, HBZK100 said:

I'm not sure if it is just me not playing Buffalo right, but I do much better in the Balitmore vs the Buffalo. Seems like Buffalo is more of a glass cannon vs the Baltimore which can tank pretty well.

I haven't looked at the exact Armour values of each ship yet. But it seems like the Buffalo is less armored.

So how do you play Buffalo? What are her strengths and what is a good build for her?

Playing her occasionally in ranked when it is a Jutland, Kitakaze, Z fest. Can scan for torps with hydro for ships around you. Can radar and blast DD's hiding in smoke. Island hump and BBQ BB's with HE spam.

[FART]
Members
166 posts
5,533 battles

I took the range mod and play Buffalo open water, as opposed to the campier playstyle of the Des Moines. I absolutely love Buffalo and had a blast grinding through it -- just stay at range and burn everything, and when anything gets within 12km of you destroy them with AP. It has a smaller, less exposed citadel than the Des Moines, and a lot of players don't realize it's difficult to citadel underneath the turrets, leading to overpens. 

I went with CE, AR, EM, AFT, and DE as my primary captain skills, and the mod that increases range out to 18km+.

Had a Ranked match the other day where an Iowa was sailing broadside to me and focusing on a BB in front of him -- I repeatedly nailed him for 12k AP damage salvos, over and over again. By the time he realized who was crushing him it was way too late.

Realistically it's probably my favorite tech tree cruiser, even though it plays a little different than what you might expect from the standard USN cruiser playstyle.

[CVA16]
Members
2,804 posts
10,553 battles

So is it less armored or just bigger making it a bigger target, longer citadel? (and being T9 it WILL face even more T10s with bigger guns and will never face a T6)

Members
1,464 posts
2,222 battles

Ugh I've gotten so used to Balitmore gameplay that I can't stand how you have to play Buffalo. I just skipped her and went strait to Des Moines. :)

If she had the same maneuverability as balti then i'd like her.

Members
64 posts
4,863 battles

I really enjoy the Buffalo.  I have a 13 pt captain with PM,  EM, SE, SI and CE. I have AAM1, DCSM1, ASM1, SGM2, CE and GFCSM2.  I think I will get BFT if CVs continue to be in many games.  It is alot of fun right now.  Guns are accurate and hit hard.  Radar and Hydro make it a great DD hunter.  Hang a India Delta and you can heal large amounts of damage.   I use superintendent to get extra Heal, Radar and Hydro.  Angle versus CAs, and BBs. Support DDs from about 3-5km back when going into caps, then you can radar hidden dds.  Sometimes i use radar and hydro at the same time in caps.  Shoot HE unless broadside CA or BBs with in 8km.  Then you can get good damage on broadside BB.

Edited by Player_7629970598
spelling

[WOLF9]
Members
349 posts
4,174 battles

I really enjoy Buffalo.  Sample size is still fairly small, but over a nearly equivalent number of games, my WR is 30% higher in Buffalo than old t9 Balti; and I do 10k more damage on average (this with a captain that only just hit 14pts).  Much of that can likely be attributed to my overall skill level improving since the split, but I think Buffalo is an excellent CA.  Guns are plenty accurate and reasonably punchy, she is a fairly good fire starter, AA is decent, and she is just maneuverable enough to avoid some damage thrown her way.  Unfortunately 406mm guns can overmatch your bow/stern, so you still have to be careful.  But I find she does pretty well either as an island humper or in open water kiting, depending on your preferred style of play and ship set up.  Her firing angles are decent enough that you don't need to give up a ton of broadside to get all 4 turrets into action.  I generally play Buffalo as a hybrid camper/kiter; how the match unfolds dictates how I play.  Early game I usually play more conservatively to protect my HP, then as the game progresses and enemies thin out I can move into open water some.

I'm honestly not sure what you could buff that wouldn't make her a bit too potent.  Maybe a small increase in turret rotation speed, or a small improvement to rudder shift time... But honestly I think that Buffalo is quite strong as is. 

Sign in to follow this