You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Well DD's still suck after the fix..

51 comments in this topic

[PT]
Members
362 posts
1,432 battles

CV's seem to always go for DD's, even in a group of BB's they still seem to single me out as the soft target even though my AA is of no real threat. Last 3 games in my Benson I have been sunk by relentless rocket and bomb attacks. My last game was pretty much the final straw..  Cannot scout any more, cannot ambush any more, spend 90% of the game watching skies and just turning on AA at the last second in the hope the planes have spotted me, even then my AA is useless (went back to the B hull, actually seems more effective). The only option is just hang around the big ships and try and spot the small sneak attackers, which is both boring and ultra low rewarding.

Last game I actually was able to sneak up on some enemy ships and score a few hits, then the 2 CV's decided I was no longer wanted and I was set upon, bad enough they keep crippling my engines and starting fires but they light my ship up allowing anything with a decent gun free shots. 

Attached 2 screenshots, one, I see the enemy planes coming, 2 I die, not a damn thing I could do. Before people say 'omg you're all by yourself' you can see the wrecks of the 2 friendlies I was screening with, all nailed within 30 seconds:( Also my smoke screen just reloaded 1 second before I died:(

Not sure what to do now, I always liked the DD style gameplay compared to the random luck, long ranged derp wars of BB's and the trying to stay the %$% alive games in cruisers...

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Cool 5
  • Boring 3

[WMD]
Members
444 posts
6,224 battles

It's rough as Benson at the best of times, keep pushing through to Fletcher and you'll be happier. 

• Angry 1

[SYN]
Members
14,871 posts
11,351 battles

Oh, you gotta give him a bit of credit.

It's pretty hard to hit a DD with DB.

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

[UEFN]
Members
609 posts
14,074 battles

That's mean the CV was doing his job properly, to get rid of the pests quickly.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 4
  • Angry 2

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles

Playing with japanese carriers i would always target the cruisers and the battleships, i didn't even bothered with dds. Unfortanely with this new hot s-h-i-t fix carrier players are going to focus more on the dds. So if you think it was hard before , think again is going to be hell now for dds.

• Cool 2

[KNTAI]
Members
2,188 posts
9,528 battles

Here are some tips with your setup:

1.) Use Def AA instead of speed boost

2.) Use premium consumables. All of them. Premium repair and premium smoke first, because you want to absolutely minimize the amount of time spent outside of smoke.

3.) You should have “okayish” to “decent AA” in the way that the Benson is set up. Since you don’t need dispersion you should be taking extra flak in your second module. You should also take BFT because of the DPM boost anyways. AFT/ Manual AA are also optional, but not recommended by me. IMO TAE or RPF are better choices after concealment, assuming you have the points.

Here are some tips with your gameplay:

1.) You should be focusing more on your guns. Torpedoes require you to get too close to the enemy. You have 9.2km torps, even 12km IJN DDs struggle to land torps in this meta. Try focusing on smoke firing more, especially near caps.

2.) Stay closer to your main fleet. You do less damage, but provide more utility. Also, they can bail you out of bad situations more often than not.

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

[BLKRS]
[BLKRS]
Alpha Tester
701 posts
2,349 battles

DD's suck even more now because Carriers are literally useless against everything except DD's. They cannot survive attacks anymore, so now DD"s are getting hounded 3x harder than before because you're the only thing they can kill and survive against.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MASSD]
Members
351 posts
23,306 battles
2 minutes ago, Lady_Athena said:

DD's suck even more now because Carriers are literally useless against everything except DD's. They cannot survive attacks anymore, so now DD"s are getting hounded 3x harder than before because you're the only thing they can kill and survive against.

Try again I just finished 3 games in a row and only saw a total of 2 DDS . That's 2 DDs total out of 72 ships . Everybody else was all geared up for AA . Looks like WG has emphasized CV's at the expense of DD's .  Is that what they really intended ?

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF7]
Members
215 posts
3,321 battles

I don't think the hotfix was meant to help DDs.  If it was I sure can't see how.  At least it made CVs lives much harder so they might stop playing which in a really weird round about way I guess helps DDs.  None of this is good for the game overall but who the hell knows anymore

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,362 posts
10,013 battles

Lets be a bit real here... DDs usually are the prime targets of a CV player...if not the are not doing  their job, and I detest CVs but I understand their functions.  AFTER killing enemy DDs you, as the CV driver, have given your team a huge advantage.  Kinda like Chess remove a piece and its easier to win the game.   I have rarely had a CV player in almost 10k games of  playing ships, ever just fly over my DD....they almost always, attacked.  I have had CVs ignore me...happened right before 8.0 in fact...may be he didn't see me pop up...too focused, but its rare.  CVs killing DDs...as long as CVs are in the game they should be doing just that...then they move to killing BBs etc.  Even before 8.0 it was rare for a DD to penetrate through all enemy ships and attack a CV...even if you try it every game (never advisable, because your hurting your team by not spotting, not contesting caps), I doubt you would succeed 25% of the time.  We all have got those CV kills in a DD and its a high point....but your probably going to be spotted and taken out...  Now with 8.0+ you just gotta be a bit more passive with the DD, and as another poster has posted, make sure that DD is AA spec'd if you want to go off on your own.

[NOBS]
Members
1,034 posts
7,628 battles
51 minutes ago, Capt_Q_Sparrow said:

Try again I just finished 3 games in a row and only saw a total of 2 DDS . That's 2 DDs total out of 72 ships . Everybody else was all geared up for AA . Looks like WG has emphasized CV's at the expense of DD's .  Is that what they really intended ?

If WG want 2 or 3 cv's in every battle, they should expect a wall of aa built boats too. Why would anyone play a boat that didn't have great AA, there is no point to it. 

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,319 posts
5,016 battles

OH NO IT'S HAPPENING AGAIN.

w2_okinawa_f4u-corsair-jpg.438681

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
1 hour ago, VeatherVitch said:

It's rough as Benson at the best of times, keep pushing through to Fletcher and you'll be happier. 

^^^This. Or get yourself a shiny new Kidd. I got one last week but haven't tried her out yet. But her AA is not something to be ignored for a DD

[WOLF6]
Members
2,301 posts
5,128 battles
4 minutes ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

^^^This. Or get yourself a shiny new Kidd. I got one last week but haven't tried her out yet. But her AA is not something to be ignored for a DD

Better than average, but not good enough to off alone. 

[SYN]
Members
14,871 posts
11,351 battles

Okay, so the key is to have a T8+, Full AA spec DD with an Ognevoi.

That way, a T6 CV cannot even lay its hands on you.

[TAFFY]
Members
11 posts
6,796 battles

The major problem now is their should NEVER be two CV's per side. I am still getting spammed by the CV's. Still having to hide or sit by another ship to protect me. DD's can't do their job as a DD with two CV throwing planes at you. So why play. Why should I put money into playing this game when it's not fun anymore, only because WG can't think outside the box and do it right. ONLY ONE "ONE" CV PER GAME NOT TWO. I guess I don't get their logic. Sure, make CV's fun for those that like playing them, but not at the expense of the other ships. Yes AA is a little better, but why should I change the configuration of all my ships just for AA and loose the ones that make up what the ship is used for. Why take away my fun just so a few others can have fun at my expense.    

• Cool 3

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
4 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Better than average, but not good enough to off alone. 

No. Depending on circumstances, She isn't going to waste tier 10 planes by the bushel or even come close. I am just coming back from being away for a long time, so am not yet comfortable with trying high tier DD play. But back in the day when CV's were common and sometimes even 2 CV's, I didn't go off alone until I read what they were going to do. It doesn't take long but you can tell. Does this guy go after DD's? Where are they tending to send their planes? What tier are they? Are they distracted with something else? Then be somewhere else or run to Big Brothers and bide your time. It is with the assumption that this is going to be the practice that I recommend that. Sorry I should have said that before.............

[KNMSU]
Members
4,726 posts
5,104 battles

Carrier spotting needs to be dramatically reduced. Period. I'm a battleship player, and even I can sympathize with destroyers.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,844 posts
3,092 battles

How is Sims holding up? With the heavy flak nurf, Sims looks like it went from potentially great to eh all around. 

[WOLF6]
Members
2,301 posts
5,128 battles
1 hour ago, Wyngs_2015 said:

No. Depending on circumstances, She isn't going to waste tier 10 planes by the bushel or even come close. I am just coming back from being away for a long time, so am not yet comfortable with trying high tier DD play. But back in the day when CV's were common and sometimes even 2 CV's, I didn't go off alone until I read what they were going to do. It doesn't take long but you can tell. Does this guy go after DD's? Where are they tending to send their planes? What tier are they? Are they distracted with something else? Then be somewhere else or run to Big Brothers and bide your time. It is with the assumption that this is going to be the practice that I recommend that. Sorry I should have said that before.............

I understand, my point was that there was a time, up until about a week ago, when you could. 

[GNOME]
Members
2 posts
797 battles

I have noticed that A LOT depends on the CV player skill. I've seen them focus on various different things... some players just are more skilled at one target or another. I've seen a single DD take out two carriers in a single battle. I've also been brutally taken advantage of in my BB by CVs as well as in my CA. 

I wouldn't go out and make any sort of determination on the state of CVs at the moment due to this. I've seen everything from OMG U SUCK to OMG PLS NERF CV! 

Members
1,082 posts
3,570 battles
3 hours ago, Thornir said:

I understand, my point was that there was a time, up until about a week ago, when you could. 

I see. Well none of them are able to stand toe in to one let alone two CV's that I know of. You just dont run off willy nilly in a high tier CV environment before or after the patch. Grozy maybe? IDK, never played her. Im hoping to take Kidd out maybe this weekend, we'll see...........

[STW-M]
Beta Testers
273 posts
7,753 battles
14 hours ago, LunchCutter said:

CV's seem to always go for DD's, even in a group of BB's they still seem to single me out as the soft target even though my AA is of no real threat. Last 3 games in my Benson I have been sunk by relentless rocket and bomb attacks. My last game was pretty much the final straw..  Cannot scout any more, cannot ambush any more, spend 90% of the game watching skies and just turning on AA at the last second in the hope the planes have spotted me, even then my AA is useless (went back to the B hull, actually seems more effective). The only option is just hang around the big ships and try and spot the small sneak attackers, which is both boring and ultra low rewarding.

Last game I actually was able to sneak up on some enemy ships and score a few hits, then the 2 CV's decided I was no longer wanted and I was set upon, bad enough they keep crippling my engines and starting fires but they light my ship up allowing anything with a decent gun free shots. 

Attached 2 screenshots, one, I see the enemy planes coming, 2 I die, not a damn thing I could do. Before people say 'omg you're all by yourself' you can see the wrecks of the 2 friendlies I was screening with, all nailed within 30 seconds:( Also my smoke screen just reloaded 1 second before I died:(

Not sure what to do now, I always liked the DD style gameplay compared to the random luck, long ranged derp wars of BB's and the trying to stay the %$% alive games in cruisers...

1.jpg

2.jpg

How to deal with CVs in the new Meta. My perspective. 

1. Check for team make up prior to the match so you know exactly what you will be contending with as far as radar and CVs.

2. Keep your AA off until it is needed so as not to give away your position prematurely.

3. Avoid planes and watch for what area the CV is sending their planes to. Avoid going into that area.

4. When and if the CV tries to attack you use a variant of crossing the T. Show your broadside until the planes are within approximately 2km from you then turn either towards or away from the planes showing a more narrow profile of your DD while throwing your engines into reverse. You do this to make your target smaller against rocket attacks as rockets have an oval shaped dispersion and turn your AA on. This can make you a sitting duck at times in a slower DD but it is very effective for avoiding rockets.  Hopefully your AA takes out the planes attacking you, and if more planes arrive while doing this maneuver pop smoke. 

I am not saying this will work for everyone but I have much success with these tactics.  Give them a try and do not discouraged if you do not get immediate results just practice them more until you get the hang of it

Edited by usspaul3

[NMKJT]
Members
3,443 posts

That's one of the problems I have with the fix. The AA is so much better you probably can't get attacks through cruisers or battleships, and don't even think carriers. So you focus down DDs. 

[S-N-D]
Members
2,067 posts
6,134 battles
7 hours ago, _no_one_ said:

Playing with japanese carriers i would always target the cruisers and the battleships, i didn't even bothered with dds. Unfortanely with this new hot s-h-i-t fix carrier players are going to focus more on the dds. So if you think it was hard before , think again is going to be hell now for dds.

Yep. IJN excels at torpedoes and the DD is the hardest to hit with them.