Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Arkanstone

"Special" Upgrades Compatibility / Ship Types

8 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
358 battles

I knew there were Tier restrictions on the Special Upgrades, but I generally thought that if a ship had the corresponding consumable, it could mount the Special Upgrade...

...so I WAS planning on saving some Coal and purchasing the extended duration Hydro as I'm going up the German BB line... but I see that the description in the Arsenal (and on the Wiki) specifically says "destroyers and cruisers" ...does anyone know for sure if that is accurate?  Can the German BB's NOT mount the special Hydro Upgrade?  I'd like to find out before I spend the coal!

Follow up question - is the Wiki accurate on all of the other "special" upgrades?  The Missouri can NOT mount the extended duration Radar Upgrade since it says "destroyers & cruisers" again?  But the French Battleships CAN mount the +50% duration Speed Boost Upgrade because it only specifies "ships"?  It seems a bit convoluted (or at least a bit random) as to which ships can / can't use these upgrades...

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,577 posts
2,611 battles

Yup, no hydro boost for BBs. It sucks. 

And you are correct in the follow up. No radar upgrade for missouri but the French frys get the engine boost upgrade

Edited by _1204_

[WGA]
Administrator
783 posts
454 battles
31 minutes ago, Arkanstone said:

I knew there were Tier restrictions on the Special Upgrades, but I generally thought that if a ship had the corresponding consumable, it could mount the Special Upgrade...

...so I WAS planning on saving some Coal and purchasing the extended duration Hydro as I'm going up the German BB line... but I see that the description in the Arsenal (and on the Wiki) specifically says "destroyers and cruisers" ...does anyone know for sure if that is accurate?  Can the German BB's NOT mount the special Hydro Upgrade?  I'd like to find out before I spend the coal!

Follow up question - is the Wiki accurate on all of the other "special" upgrades?  The Missouri can NOT mount the extended duration Radar Upgrade since it says "destroyers & cruisers" again?  But the French Battleships CAN mount the +50% duration Speed Boost Upgrade because it only specifies "ships"?  It seems a bit convoluted (or at least a bit random) as to which ships can / can't use these upgrades...

Hello Arkanstone,

Yes, some of the special modules are limited to specific ship types. 

German BBs cannot mount the special Hydro module and the Missouri cannot mount the extended radar module.

[SYJ]
[SYJ]
Members
1,577 posts
2,611 battles
2 hours ago, iKami said:

Hello Arkanstone,

Yes, some of the special modules are limited to specific ship types. 

German BBs cannot mount the special Hydro module and the Missouri cannot mount the extended radar module.

Is there any reason why? I mean is there any big reason not to? The ship has a tool, is it that absurd to make it better? I would still be giving up a lower fire chance... is there that much difference between an extra 20 seconds of hydro when the French can pull 35-40 knots for 4 minutes straight?

Edit, also add Hoods DFAA into the mix with Missouri and German BBs

Edited by _1204_

[PVE]
Members
12,248 posts
8,463 battles
6 hours ago, Arkanstone said:

The wiki lists the restrictions on the special upgrades.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Upgrades#Special_Upgrades

[WOLF9]
Members
7,587 posts
3,228 battles
17 hours ago, _1204_ said:

Is there any reason why? I mean is there any big reason not to?

It's part of the general principle that BBs not be given their full capabilities because it would make them too powerful.  E.g. USN BBs have two Atlantas worth of secondaries mounted.  E.g. Early RADAR was bulky and power-hungry.  So why not prefer to mount it on ships that had the room and spare power?  E.g. BBs always seem to have one or more fewer consumables slots than the same-tier little botes. 

You want to know why?  That's why.

(Now, don't mistake me.  I'm not saying that the situation should be different; I'm just answering your question.)

Sign in to follow this