You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gunga_Dinner

AA Overlord

8 comments in this topic

[CSALT]
Members
492 posts

8.0 drove me from the game.  The game wasn't fun to play anymore and I didn't enjoy the style of the new meta emerging for any class of ship, less CV as I've not played one.  I walked away from WoWs, but kept an eye on the news to see what happened.  One of my frustrations was the feeling of utter helplessness if a CV decided to focus on you and your inability to do anything other than zig zag like crazy and dodge things, again and again and again.  That being said...

I saw the news of the hot fix for 8.0 and decided to give this game another go, see if it was fun again, if we were closer to that unicorn/fable of 'balance' that Wargaming keeps yammering about.  I get in my Fubuki because A) I enjoy the ship, it is one of my favorites and B) it is the third ship in my list of ships and right there to click on.  I take a deep breath and hit the Battle! button for a Random battle.  The battle starts and there is only one CV a side, a Tier VII battle.  The battle goes on, average battle, nothing exciting, nothing dramatic, feels like old times, but the CV never finds me and I don't have to deal with planes.  At least not for the first half of the battle.

I shoot some torps, fire my guns, and take two caps and then the red CV is spotted, a Ryujo.  I am in front of it and it is is headed in my general direction so I decide to engage it instead of heading to the third cap. Taking a deep breath I prepare myself to be obliterated but maybe I can at least YOLO the CV.  Planes are in the air, I am spotted about 8km from the CV, but thankfully we are out of range of any of his surface support gunfire and I just have planes to deal with.  I open fire with my main battery, sending HE shells at him while dodging left and right from torps and bombs.  I can hear my AA going of in the background as I concentrate on 'staying on target' and shooting the CV.  We close on one another, his secondaries are peppering me, the planes are buzzing around, bombs fall, machine guns rattle, I send a salvo of torps in front of him to turn him towards me.  It works and the next salvo goes into his broadside as we pass.  I am still alive, but there are still planes attacking me and my AA is still rattling away non-stop.

The Fubuki does not have great AA.  The only time it looks like the Fubuki is an AA overlord is when it is sailing next to a Gallant or other RN DD.

The planes disappear, the shooting stops, the fires  are put out, calm settles, and I start to breath again.  I check the map to make sure I am not about to get deleted and then look at the damage counter when my eye is caught by a purple ribbon.  Holy heck!  15 planes shot down.  15 planes.  15.  With a Fubuki.  15 planes shot down.  Did I mention I shot down 15 planes?  With a Fubuki?  I don't think I've shot down 15 planes with my Fubuki the entire time I've had it and now I do it in one battle?  I feel bad for the CV and the frustration he must have.

I am not a fan of 8.0, but the hot fix seems to have brought issues of its own.  Something is wrong if I can shoot down that many planes in a one on one pitched battle with a CV and walk away from it.  I don't want to be helpless against planes, but I shouldn't be able to decimate them as well, not in a Fubuki.  Maybe in a Kidd or St Lois or Texas or Donskoi, but not an IJN dd with pop guns.

Keep trying Wargaming and I will check in from time to time to see if the fun factor has returned for me.

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles

All WG did with this AA iteration was tip the scales massively in favor of surface ships. If you arent striking a lone surface ship you're losing all your planes.

[LEGIT]
Members
673 posts
7,041 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

All WG did with this AA iteration was tip the scales massively in favor of surface ships. If you arent striking a lone surface ship you're losing all your planes.

Even that ship depends on its aa capabilities. Unless its a Weak aa ship, ur planes will still get rinsed after 1 drop.

• Cool 1

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles
15 minutes ago, Poisonous_Lily said:

Even that ship depends on its aa capabilities. Unless its a Weak aa ship, ur planes will still get rinsed after 1 drop.

The new AA is as oppressive as old AA.

Difference is I could drop 14 bombs and 12 torps all at once in old AA. This new system has you lucky to get one set of torps off before your planes fall out of the sky.

I guess if anything we can applaud WG for making a broken hakuryuu and nerfing midway because of it.

[NMKJT]
Members
3,433 posts

Well, I was trying CVs but looks like that is a lost cause now. 

Will try it out after work, but if it's this bad I will be done trying to make this work.

[LEGIT]
Members
673 posts
7,041 battles
17 minutes ago, Wombatmetal said:

Well, I was trying CVs but looks like that is a lost cause now. 

Will try it out after work, but if it's this bad I will be done trying to make this work.

Not all is lost.

I saw somebody posting a new technique on how to minimized losses. And I tried T10 both normal version and this new technique. Basically once you launch your planes, immediately drop your pay load so that your plane number will decrease from 9 planes to 3. With the remaining you do 1 attack run and thats it. You will lose 1 plane per squad. I know it sound painful since you wont be doing much dmg at the first half of the game. But once the board is much more clear then you can start using normal ways to kill dmged isolated target. 

And I tested it on a severely nerfed Hak. SInce the overal dmg output of Hak decreased  this was my max that I  got 112k dmg from this method. Before  That i did reached up to 150k dmg.

Trust me. It works

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,523 posts
13,421 battles

Interestingly, what the OP experienced was also possible in 0.8.0 without the hotfix. Fubuki is, as the OP says, not an AA powerhouse. However, it is not so weak as to have no flakbursts. Basically every ship in the game has at least one, minus the odd T3-T4 ship with literally no AA (sorry Myogi). It turns out that just about every flakburst in the game is lethal if you touch it. They're all lava. Even that one silly puff coming off a mid-tier IJN destroyer.

So if you managed to knock down 15 planes that way, good job! It wasn't because of some overpowered AA buff WG handed out, it was because you made that CV player soil himself so hard he forgot to dodge flak and paid the price.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,413 posts
10,140 battles

I only have tier 4 & tier 6 CV's but in the couple I played today I was able to do well enough.