You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EasyEight

Grind US or IJN CVs?

15 comments in this topic

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
166 posts
7,201 battles

Any thoughts which CV line to grind? I have both Ranger and Ryujo. It seems like IJN is favored in the WOWs still. 

• IJN CVs have much higher stealth and are more maneuverable
  • IJN TBs do more damage than US TBs and are easier to hit with, while US DBs do more damage than IJN DBs but they are harder to hit with. 

Comments??

[TBW]
Members
6,969 posts
12,910 battles

Grind both, both have daily bonus'. I will wait for a while until the fervor wears down.

[RED2]
Members
558 posts
7,641 battles

USN is more reliable atm. Its a lot easier to get torp drops off and those rockets.

But the IJN has AP dive bombers which I think have been underappreciated. Their pen is a bit overtuned as you can still citadel BBs with serious horizantal armor even if you drop at almost the last second.

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
575 posts
3,843 battles

Neither.  Read up on naval literature like "Kaigun" or "At War at Sea".  Personally I have more fun hitting myself a'twixt the legs with a ball-peen hammer than playing CV vs instagib AA.  All for masochism, but there's limits, you need some hope of succeeding.  Single strike per squadron game-play is probably not going to provide that hope, that positive feedback that what you've done succeeded in affecting your team's chances.

[TIPS]
Beta Testers
102 posts
2,162 battles

CV's are going to be in a rough spot for the next few months, until things get balanced properly, but it seems like US planes are tougher, but Japanese planes are more stealthy.  At least with th IJN torpedo bombers, you can drop further out, maybe minimizing time over AA, at the cost of hitting anything.  Just alternate games in them to figure out which line suits your play style.

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
166 posts
7,201 battles

But the IJN has AP dive bombers which I think have been underappreciated. Their pen is a bit overtuned as you can still citadel BBs with serious horizantal armor even if you drop at almost the last second.

I noticed that, which is absolutely bizzaro since in RL the USN excelled in AP Dive Bombing! If they wanted to present a semblance of carrier air ops  in WW2:

1. IJN gets better torpedo planes and torps

2. US gets better dive bombers and choice of dropping AP or HE bombs during an attack

3. Either neither IJN or USN get rockets, or only the USN since the IJN never operationally fielded unguided rockets.

4. US plane strikes should recycle 15-20% faster than IJN given the more advanced tech and flight ops practices of the USN

• Cool 1

[-TOG-]
[-TOG-]
Members
106 posts
1,005 battles

As a US CV user, I'd go IJN all day. They're better across the whole line. 

[D-H-O]
Members
22 posts
978 battles

USN CV's have better tools for multiple target types.  Their DB's can engage any ship, meaning it's less likely you'll find yourself without an answer to a given problem because you're waiting on plane respawns.

IJN has better tools for dealing with capital ships, but can find themselves in a bad place if there's a surprise DD breakthrough and they've taken heavy rocket squad losses.

Edit - this is all from lower tier experiences so far.

Edited by KillerAvocado

[FTH]
Members
728 posts
12,418 battles

As someone with Midway...either wait 2 more weeks for the update and British CV's, or grind IJN...if Midway works halfway as good as Hak, they nerf both equally..as proven last hotfix.

[FATE]
Members
332 posts
8,607 battles

USN by far.  Better versatility, better TBs, better rockets, better DBs.  Much more capable of DoT damage than the IJN counterparts, and the torps are easier to land.

[DPS]
Members
101 posts

I have played both, and USN is better. tiny tims and bombs do significant damage when you have learned how to use them.  They also destroy a lot of aa emplacements, then i go in with the torps... very nasty.  The IJN is nerfed to hell, very hard to hit with long distance torps moving at 40 and the short range torps are nice but do to little damage when you have to make 6 passes to drop a full squadrons worth.  The only thing I miss about the Hakuryu is the space camo.  I had a hell of a time making AP work as well as the HE Midway drops.  Also, one of the nicest things about the Midway over the Hak is the difference in HP for the planes.  Also the Midways AA is pretty evil...  I had one game where I had 57 planes killed by my Midway.  I actually felt bad for the enemy cv....

The only item I can sight as a weakness is that the Tiny Tims don't hit DD's well, but I figure DD's have it hard enough atm... and this will probably be a good thing as WG seems to be a lunatic organization with the nerf hammer...  I mean, seriously, they fooked the Hak HARD.

Edited by Cpt_Barrett

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,158 posts
4,372 battles

Right now I'd call the US the "vanilla" or "generalist" line. Like before the rework they tend to be better for beginners and more forgiving. The Japanese on the other hand get AP dive bombs and can pull off crazy stuff like stealth torpedo bombers if used correctly, but they are trickier to master. I'm mostly sticking to US for the moment, but I'd be lying if I said that wasn't because I have yet to get Midway.