Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
T_O_dubl_D

Any new CV grinders? Thoughts wanted...

22 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,305 battles

I've never played a CV match.  My preferred ship type is DD but I'm not enjoying the new way I'm forced to play them. So I was wondering if the CV players grinding through the lines can tell me about the experience. I dont need to hear from people that had them all previously and have them all again.  I want to know how the grind is now and especially what your impressions are on the low tiers post hotfix .8.0.1

My assumption:

- XP seems to be extremely low for CVs per match. This would mean that it would be a long and tedious grind.  Since most of XP is based off damage dealt coupled with the fact that WG is doing everything possible to take alpha away from planes post rework (which I disagree with) I would think having high XP games is going to get more difficult...even more so after hotfix.  Thoughts on all that?

I really dont want to quit this game and the British CV line looks interesting so if you can't beat them join them right?!? 

In regard to the hotfix I personally think they went too far.  It was correct to make AA more continous DOT and less flak bursts but now they need to buff plane HP or give speed/aim time a buff to balance that out to give planes less time over target or more "armor" to absorb the damage.  Certainly a step in the right direction overall though and a lot of the hotfix implementation was right on the money. 

Edited by T_O_dubl_D

[WOLF2]
Members
1,160 posts
8,217 battles

I never got above T4 in the old RTS style.   My Langley and Hosho sat unused in port.

Once 8.0 came out, I pulled them out of dry dock, and was pleasantly surprised on the play style.   It was intuitive and easy to operate.   Granted, T4 isn't going to rack up the damage, but it provided good opportunity to learn the aim, steering, map awareness, etc.    Usually, I was middle of the pack on the scoreboard.  Had some decent games.   And yes, the XP grind up to T6 is a bit long.    But that didn't bother me - it'd give me more time to improve my play.

At that tier, I wasn't expecting any alpha damage, so I found that supporting your team with spotting or cap control went a long way.   I might get 8500 damage one round, but kept the reds away from two caps, and a win's a win.

I also played surface ships from T5 - T10 during this last week, and frankly continued playing as normal.   Disclosure:  I was fortunate and didn't see any T10 CVs during the whole week.     What I did see were CVs that were somewhat pesky, but nothing that would make me huddle in a corner, in the "green ball of AA".    I'd set the AA sector, and fight as normal.    T6 and T8's were pretty much a non-factor.     I respec'd only three of my captains.   The rest I left as-is.

I haven't jumped into a CV today, but assume WG took a sledgehammer approach, and while the T10's are somewhat neutered, the T4, T6, and T8's are probably impotent.       That'll make most of the player base happy.    And I assume CV numbers will drop to minimal at sub-T10 tiers.     Can't imagine what the devs will tell their management on why CV population evaporated almost overnight.

Will I continue grinding my CVs?    I'll give it a try with the hotfix.   If they're impotent, then likely not.    And I assume others dipping their toes into CV play will probably abandon it too. 

Edited by DiddleDum
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,265 posts
10,432 battles

I am a new CV Grinder. Hard to offer much as the game is in flux. I can say that I love paradigm change. As far as tactics go.... man it will be changing often until 8.2 so. Just get started and enjoy the ride.

• Cool 1

Members
114 posts
4,197 battles

my experience was only with tier 4 and 6. Really annoying. World of Warplanes I've always seen potential and would like them to sort the game.

• Cool 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,508 posts
11,864 battles

"grind" with another ship for get free XP and just buy the cv with free xp... for let it in the port util they someday they buff it. Because the cvs are useless now.

• Cool 1

[-PVE-]
Members
177 posts
9,875 battles

Very low DPM. I free exped from 4 to 6. Its also frustrating play and in its inability to carry. Other types can carry but cv's not so much. Just check out where cv's place at the end of the game. Typically at or near the bottom. I like flying but as a class, at low tier the experience is poor. I don't have an answer to the cv's underperformance at low tier and extreme OP at 10. I for one will follow this along as the Developers find a good balance. It will take several patches.

• Cool 1

Members
347 posts
4,266 battles

I think it's gonna take me around 100 battles to get to T6 (that's a lot).... and I get to do it twice, if I want to do both lines.
And I guess Thrice once the British CV's get released....(yay.)

And don't forget... at T4 you get no progression on Daily Missions or pretty much any of the missions. As for FreeXP'ing… yeah that's an option... but I rather use those points for the upcoming Alaska.

Edited by Hydra_360ci
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,265 posts
10,432 battles
14 minutes ago, HyenaHiena said:

"grind" with another ship for get free XP and just buy the cv with free xp... for let it in the port util they someday they buff it. Because the cvs are useless now.

Well that is refreshing from all the Over Powered crying. lol

[SFOR]
Members
932 posts
6,592 battles

" XP seems to be extremely low for CVs per match. "

It is at tier 4. At tier 6 is normal.

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,305 battles

Thanks for the insights and advice gents.  Sounds like the consensus is that grinding the lines right now is both a slog and a gamble since everything is in flux.  I appreciate the info!

[DENY]
Members
33 posts
5,124 battles

With the introduction of 0.8.0 I started with a T4 Japanese CV and a T6 American CV.  The issues I have found is that there feels like a massive grind gap between the tiers manly because you have to XP grind through two tiers to get to the next ship.  Second is if you get your T6 CV stuck in a mainly T8 match.  You are so outmatched that you are stuck being a spectator for the most part.  But if you are T6 in a mainly T4 match it is not hard to become top of the list (at least pre 0.8.0.1...that might have changed now)

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles
31 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

I never got above T4 in the old RTS style.   My Langley and Hosho sat unused in port.

Once 8.0 came out, I pulled them out of dry dock, and was pleasantly surprised on the play style.   It was intuitive and easy to operate.   Granted, T4 isn't going to rack up the damage, but it provided good opportunity to learn the aim, steering, map awareness, etc.    Usually, I was middle of the pack on the scoreboard.  Had some decent games.   And yes, the XP grind up to T6 is a bit long.    But that didn't bother me - it'd give me more time to improve my play.

At that tier, I wasn't expecting any alpha damage, so I found that supporting your team with spotting or cap control went a long way.   I might get 8500 damage one round, but kept the reds away from two caps, and a win's a win.

I also played surface ships from T5 - T10 during this last week, and frankly continued playing as normal.   Disclosure:  I was fortunate and didn't see any T10 CVs during the whole week.     What I did see were CVs that were somewhat pesky, but nothing that would make me huddle in a corner, in the "green ball of AA".    I'd set the AA sector, and fight as normal.    T6 and T8's were pretty much a non-factor.     I respec'd only three of my captains.   The rest I left as-is.

I haven't jumped into a CV today, but assume WG took a sledgehammer approach, and while the T10's are somewhat neutered, the T4, T6, and T8's are probably impotent.       That'll make most of the player base happy.    And I assume CV numbers will drop to minimal at sub-T10 tiers.     Can't imagine what the devs will tell their management on why CV population evaporated almost overnight.

Will I continue grinding my CVs?    I'll give it a try with the hotfix.   If they're impotent, then likely not.    And I assume others dipping their toes into CV play will probably abandon it too. 

Let me break down 0.8.1

Every strike is a suicide mission, even at t10. F key + AA buff flatlined CV potency.

As for the playstyle, intuitive yes, easy no. The amount of times in 0.8.0 you would flat out lose an entire squad in seconds was concerningly high and is only going to get worse with the hotfix.

Honestly just buy GZ when its released again and call it a day.

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,520 battles

Not really a "New" CV player, but a more frequent one as of late. Still happy to give advice though. 

It's kinda in flux right now, but I'd say they're better now than they were. Tier IV is, naturally, the training tier. Not a whole lot to be expected there. Tier VI, unfortunately, is a tad underwhelming, but fun nonetheless. Tier VIII is where it kinda gets wonky. On paper, they should be fine, except they will ALWAYS see Tier X games making them next to useless. Tier X is probably the most powerful, where it was really, really good, but is now sorta good, since WG can't decide how much AA is enough and teams seem to forget how to play and will collapse within 7 minutes of play and you're left to farm damage before points end the game.

I mean, don't get me wrong, the new CV gameplay is really fun! Just don't expect crazy good Win Rates or anything. I average 108k damage/game in Midway with like 46-48% Win Rate. It's fun, but winning and losing is really up to whether the other 11 guys on your team feel like winning. If you can get good at CV now, grinding the new British CV should be a cinch for you.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
834 posts

My experience is that it is mindless gameplay.. plot route on auto-pilot , launch planes, attack ships, fkey out. rinse and repeat.

I like playing my ships better.

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,305 battles
34 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

Awesome info!  Please update when you give it a go after the hotfix.

[-BUI-]
Members
561 posts
2,537 battles

Earning the 330k exp from Lexington to Midway was easy.   Affording the 28m to buy the midway+modules.   THATS hard.

Members
20,704 posts
5,599 battles
10 minutes ago, _no_one_ said:

" XP seems to be extremely low for CVs per match. "

It is at tier 4. At tier 6 is normal.

I agree. If T6 XP does look low, it's mainly because people are still figuring things out IMO.

I played T4 (and T5) CVs a bit before the rework, and with a bit more practice, I think I'll get my post-8.0 numbers to match the previous ones.

As far as T6, my damage and XP are akin to what I got in my DDs, I'm thinking that, again with practice, I'll move up to CA level damage and XP. Right now, my best T6 CV game matches my average in T6 BBs.

One of the best things I like about T6 vs. T4 is that you can drop fighters. If there's a friendly DD looking to cap, I tend to loiter a bit, and drop fighters just as he enters. This means he has fighters overhead for as long as it takes to cap. If they get used up, I'll drop more if needed, but between the initial fighters and his own smoke, the cap usually gets capped.

Edited by Skpstr

[DRACS]
Members
4,052 posts

I haven't had a chance to play today since this patch.

But when I was playing my Ranger during the last week, I found it very difficult to get decent damage numbers due to AA being strong and me frequently being uptiered into tier 8 matches (which this patch obviously didn't fix, lol). So I'd resort to mostly spotting for my team, harassing ships on the edge, and taking out low health targets before they can escape.

Right now, I feel only the tier 10 CVs are strong (although Midway seems a bit weak if we go by stats in the last week) simply due to the fact that they are not going against higher tier AA.

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,305 battles
2 minutes ago, DESRON10 said:

My experience is that it is mindless gameplay.. plot route on auto-pilot , launch planes, attack ships, fkey out. rinse and repeat.

I like playing my ships better.

This was my thought before the CV rework was released.  I couldn't imagine flying a single strike mission over and over and over again but I haven't seen too many people have this same complaint.  Is it really God awful boring?

1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:

Earning the 330k exp from Lexington to Midway was easy.   Affording the 28m to buy the midway+modules.   THATS hard.

I've got about 600k free xp and 50mil+ in silver so no prob there.  Just don't want to blow it on a line that us crap!  On the other hand the whole game might turn into crap so what do I have to lose?

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
26 minutes ago, Hydra_360ci said:

And don't forget... at T4 you get no progression on Daily Missions or pretty much any of the missions.

This is the problem. It is a very big problem, and pre-rework I solved it by free XP-ing to the Bogue. When it initially appeared that the T4 carriers were not going to have torpedoes, I Free Xp'd to the Independence - a ship for which I was in no way ready, but I wanted her in port (when she transformed into T6 Ranger). Probably a wise move in retrospect, even if she's going to sit for a while until I get used to the new mechanisms.

Hosho I will probably play at a slow pace in between other ships (e.g. when I am waiting for them to reappear in port after being sunk). Those people who have a lot of time on their hands and a high win rate can pound through the dailies in not that many battles, leaving them free to pick the Hosho up and grind her hard until they get to the Ryujo. I expect (and might not be unhappy with) a slower, more zen-like experience, with abrupt shifts in the nature and efficiency of my ship as tweaks are applied here and there. It's going to be an interesting ride! :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Sign in to follow this