You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MaliceA4Thought

After hotfix if you are getting deplaned try this...

32 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles

OK I was a little concerned when I tried the game post hotfix as to AA efficiency, as a number of people were and getting very low damage and loosing way to many planes..  in fact even getting deplaned in a couple of matches.

If you are having these problems, especially at T6 or T8 and lower tier, try this....

Take your favorite squadron..  take off..  dump all but the last ordnance into the water...

You now have one small squad but full health and the ones you dumped into the water are now heading back to the carrier unharmed.

You can spot just as effectively with a couple of aircraft as with a full squadron..

Now when you spot a target, just scream in and boost, weave a bit and launch...   you will probably loose those last couple of aircraft, but at full health you should get the drop off in most cases.

OK  you are only getting one attack with the squadron. but after the hotfix, you were still getting only one run but sacrificing the whole squadron.. now you are just risking a couple of planes.

Agreed, a couple of planes are easier to destroy, but you are not risking all your planes and not risking getting deplaned.

Your mileage may vary, but it's been more effective for me than getting deplaned at T6 or 8 today.

I am calling it the reverse F-key manouver :)

Regards

Malice

Edited by MaliceA4Thought
  • Cool 7
  • Funny 5

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,406 posts
28,126 battles

Thats an unorthodox strategy.  But its sound and logical.

[SPTR]
Members
2,239 posts
2,294 battles

interesting...didn't have to do this too much in my langley but ill take another look

[HINON]
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
Just now, Ace6steel said:

interesting...didn't have to do this too much in my langley but ill take another look

T4 is not such an issue due to much lower AA levels, but if you are in a T5 match, it should help :)   However T4 planes regen pretty fast anyway so it may not do to much down there.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

It's clever, in the same way it was clever of iChase to demonstrate getting a teammate to shoot his Shima down to 5% HP to maximize Adrenalin Rush before  going out to make hay.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,524 posts
13,421 battles

Yeah, saw this mentioned in another thread too. Kinda absurd that it would come to this, but I mostly think of it as the CV equivalent of having to long-range snipe because the enemy is too balled up.

[-TXT-]
Members
169 posts
8,919 battles

Does the system prioritize sending back damaged planes? 

[HINON]
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
1 minute ago, Romic said:

Does the system prioritize sending back damaged planes? 

nope, but if you dump planes right at launch from carrier, they are back and ready before you do your actual run so they are not being risked.  Any plane you loose has to regen.. any plane that returns is ready as soon as it has returned :)

[DRACS]
Members
4,052 posts

Mmmm, yes and no. Problem is how continuous damage is fundamentally applied. It's simple: The more planes you have left in your squadron, the less constant DPS AA will affect them overall.

Or basically, the more planes you have, the more that DPS is spread evenly among all of them, the longer the squad survives. But if only three planes remain, all that constant DPS is focused on just those three planes, and under strong AA fire, those planes will NOT survive any attempted strikes at all.

As for spotting ... that's typically done outside surface ship AA range as their air spotting is typically larger. EXCEPT for DDs that can fire off AA outside their air detection range (DDs, are you remember to hit that P key at the start of the match to turn off AA until needed? If not, why not?). So really, for spotting, it doesn't matter the size of your squad unless you're specifically weaving into that AA to find that elusive DD and his 3.5km air detection radius.

So sure, you'd get most of your plane returning ... but the planes you leave behind are kinda useless in return.

Edited by KaptainKaybe

[SPTR]
Members
2,239 posts
2,294 battles
3 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

T4 is not such an issue due to much lower AA levels, but if you are in a T5 match, it should help :)   However T4 planes regen pretty fast anyway so it may not do to much down there.

I'll need to remember this once Yorktown arrives so i can use it then

[-TXT-]
Members
169 posts
8,919 battles
2 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

DDs, are you remember to hit that P key at the start of the match to turn off AA until needed? If not, why not?

This is a huge issue for DDs. They all think that because of the rework they need to keep their AA on all the time. I cannot count the number of DDs I have flown right past until I see explosions all around my planes and get pissed off and go back to punish them out of spite lol. 

[HINON]
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
6 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Mmmm, yes and no. Problem is how continuous damage is fundamentally applied. It's simple: The more planes you have left in your squadron, the less constant DPS AA will affect them overall.

Or basically, the more planes you have, the more that DPS is spread evenly among all of them, the longer the squad survives. But if only three planes remain, all that constant DPS is focused on just those three planes, and under strong AA fire, those planes will NOT survive any attempted strikes at all.

As for spotting ... that's typically done outside surface ship AA range as their air spotting is typically larger. EXCEPT for DDs that can fire off AA outside their air detection range (DDs, are you remember to hit that P key at the start of the match to turn off AA until needed? If not, why not?). So really, for spotting, it doesn't matter the size of your squad unless you're specifically weaving into that AA to find that elusive DD and his 3.5km air detection radius.

So sure, you'd get most of your plane returning ... but the planes you leave behind are kinda useless in return.

yeah you have to pick targets early in match, but for me, it's been a better strategy than loosing a whole flight on one attack which is what was happening to me immediately after the hotfix this morning, especially with the delayed F-key return which pretty much means you loose even more from the flight.

Edited by MaliceA4Thought

[-BUI-]
Members
561 posts
2,537 battles

I think I coined the term "reverse F-key" this morning....but thats fine, lol.

Its stupid as hell you gotta fire into the water to prevent all your planes from getting slaughtered though.

[HINON]
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
1 minute ago, Zenn3k said:

I think I coined the term "reverse F-key" this morning....but thats fine, lol.

Its stupid as hell you gotta fire into the water to prevent all your planes from getting slaughtered though.

Apologise Zenn3k  I didn't see it, but thank you for that as well :)   I hereby assign the name back to Zenn3k :)

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles
23 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

OK I was a little concerned when I tried the game post hotfix as to AA efficiency, as a number of people were and getting very low damage and loosing way to many planes..  in fact even getting deplaned in a couple of matches.

If you are having these problems, especially at T6 or T8 and lower tier, try this....

Take your favorite squadron..  take off..  dump all but the last ordnance into the water...

You now have one small squad but full health and the ones you dumped into the water are now heading back to the carrier unharmed.

You can spot just as effectively with a couple of aircraft as with a full squadron..

Now when you spot a target, just scream in and boost, weave a bit and launch...   you will probably loose those last couple of aircraft, but at full health you should get the drop off in most cases.

OK  you are only getting one attack with the squadron. but after the hotfix, you were still getting only one run but sacrificing the whole squadron.. now you are just risking a couple of planes.

Agreed, a couple of planes are easier to destroy, but you are not risking all your planes and not risking getting deplaned.

Your mileage may vary, but it's been more effective for me than getting deplaned at T6 or 8 today.

Regards

Malice

I am going to try this. Until they can balance things properly we will have to find ways of working around the issue. I'll get back to you in 20 minutes to present my results.

Edited by Snargfargle

[UEFN]
Members
607 posts
13,968 battles

The key is getting all three type of planes on rotation!  rework does not allow you to launch all three type of planes simultaneously so being deplaned should not even be an issue since you can only control one type of plane at a time anyway!

[DRACS]
Members
4,052 posts
1 minute ago, Romic said:

This is a huge issue for DDs. They all think that because of the rework they need to keep their AA on all the time. I cannot count the number of DDs I have flown right past until I see explosions all around my planes and get pissed off and go back to punish them out of spite lol. 

Back in the early days of the game, CVs were *very* common and you'd find them regularly in pretty much all matches. This is before strafing and exit strafing got introduced that easily allowed good CV players to completely deplane bad or even average CV players which drove so so many of them away.

No one complained back then (aside your typical "I play this ship type and hate this other ship type and think it should get nerfed" crowd), and the meta evolved with strategies on dealing with CV planes and supporting each other with AA coverage.

But then CVs became *extremely* rare in high tier matches (1 in 10 matches? Maybe?), so the meta changed in a way that no longer took them into account.

Now that they are back, in a *much* weakened state (especially after today), people are raging about CVs being in nearly all games as if it it were the apocalypse rather than simply going back to a time where anti-CV strategy was actively discussed. Worst of all, they are arguing that CVs are stronger now than they used to be which is *very very very VERY VERY obviously not the case* (exceptions like Hak not withstanding). Either those players have never experienced frequent CV matches under the old RTS model, or they are intentionally trolling and hoping that Wargaming will remove CVs completely ... or revert it back to the old RTS system knowing players will stop playing CVs again.

It blows my mind especially when you think that Wargaming has been *very* adamant for years that they feel CVs should always be in games and that they wish to find a means of bringing them back in a more balanced state compared with other ships. Everyone was warned that CVs would never go away, and Wargaming has been talking about a CV rework for years specifically to address the low CV population count as well as the crazy influence a good CV player held over every match.

Now CVs are finally popular again ... and everyone is raging.

Are there still some balance issues affecting CVs in an either positive or negative fashion? Certainly! But Wargaming seem to be addressing these pretty quickly.

Remember how long it took them to fix open water stealth firing or battleships firing from smoke when both were clearly broken mechanics? I'd say the effort in balancing CVs now is pretty damn impressive when you compare on that time scale.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
1 minute ago, Xcalib3r said:

The key is getting all three type of planes on rotation!  rework does not allow you to launch all three type of planes simultaneously so being deplaned should not even be an issue since you can only control one type of plane at a time anyway!

nope..  if you loose a full TB squadron at T8, it will NOT have regenned by the time you have lost all the rocket planes and DB's in the next two attacks.    6 TB aircraft to regen is 540 seconds.   Even if you have the mods to allow more on deck, you can fire 2 TB squads and then if they all go down (as they are after hotfix) you don't get any more that match.

Follow that through and in 6 launches you can loose every damn aircraft and have to wait for regen which means you spend the rest of the match looking for a ram to do any damage (actually as an aside.. 1 ram with a carrier is worth more damage than the whole fly planes chip paint we have now)

After the hotfix, deplaning is a REAL possibility, especially if you are a T6 ot T8 carrier in a T8 or T10 match.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles

Didn't work. In fact, it was an abysmal failure. Thanks for trying to find a workaround though. 

[SFOR]
Members
932 posts
6,592 battles
40 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

Regards

Malice

I want to give you a cool notification about your idea but server don't allow me to do. So i give you +1 here.

I was doing tests in the training room to get an idea what it was possible to do. Reading your idea just made me return to the training room lol.

Edited by _no_one_

[RLGN]
Beta Testers
100 posts
1,810 battles

I don't see how they can balance the system in such a way as to make CV's contribute to damage early game against the initial red fleet bait ball, and not have the same CV be OP late game when the ball has been thinned. To this issue factor in 2 lvl mm and imho it's impossible. 

[FORM]
[FORM]
Members
347 posts
4,388 battles
39 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

Ya know, when you're double up-tier'd it probably would work better than just getting slaughtered.

I never think of stuff like this...

[HINON]
2,560 posts
4,805 battles
2 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

Didn't work. In fact, it was an abysmal failure. Thanks for trying to find a workaround though. 

strange, worked for me,  but as I said, your mileage may vary...  it is dependant on picking the right target with your last group..  IJN DD's are good <innocent smile> or later in game ships that are on low health and have had their aa lowered.

Members
347 posts
4,266 battles

Well, at the very least it'll let you yolo planes and experiment with 1/3rd the consequence.