You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
handybilly

Just don't lose sight that the game is about surface ships.

18 comments in this topic

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
361 posts
13,557 battles

Sure, as long as I don't have to feel like I'm just meat on the carving block for point-'n-click rocket planes, I'll still enjoy surface combat.

Just remove the damned things already, there is more than enough salt in the sea.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 3

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,482 posts
14,436 battles

Ah what exactly disqualifies any ship from being a Surface Ship? For submarimes/submersibles it is obvious. For lighter than lighter than air Air Ships, blimps, dirigibles, zeppelins also obvious. Please tell us inquiring minds need to know.

Members
1,123 posts
7,679 battles
3 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Ah what exactly disqualifies any ship from being a Surface Ship? For submarimes/submersibles it is obvious. For lighter than lighter than air Air Ships, blimps, dirigibles, zeppelins also obvious. Please tell us inquiring minds need to know.

Ships that engages in combat on the surface. CV are just transport ships that bring the real combatants (planes) to the battle.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,295 posts
10,483 battles

"Just don't lose sight that the game is about surface ships"

Except that statement is not true. So....

Members
858 posts
5,278 battles
14 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Ships that engages in combat on the surface. CV are just transport ships that bring the real combatants (planes) to the battle.

Sure, even though that statement is wrong also.

Members
1,123 posts
7,679 battles
Just now, khorender_1 said:

Sure, even though that statement is wrong also.

Would you call an LST a surface combatant?

[-BMV-]
Members
1,226 posts
5,774 battles

I thought it was about Naval combat in the early mid 20th Century... including Subs and carriers. :cap_yes:

Members
858 posts
5,278 battles
3 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

Would you call an LST a surface combatant?

And you're using that example because?

Members
1,123 posts
7,679 battles
1 minute ago, khorender_1 said:

And you're using that example because?

Functionally an LST is the same as a CV. They both transport combat vehicles to the battle. But since that example seems to be going over your head let me try something else. What surface combat does a CV engage in? Or any combat for that matter. It's considered a failure if a CV is even close enough to shoot at another ship. I know some people's egos won't let them admit it but the planes do the fighting not the CV.

Members
858 posts
5,278 battles
Just now, Rouxi said:

Functionally an LST is the same as a CV. They both transport combat vehicles to the battle. But since that example seems to be going over your head let me try something else. What surface combat does a CV engage in? Or any combat for that matter. It's considered a failure if a CV is even close enough to shoot at another ship. I know some people's egos won't let them admit it but the planes do the fighting not the CV.

I asked because CV's are in the GAME! is an LST ? my ego has nothing to do with anything..

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
1,595 posts

Too much hype on one side and too much hysteria on the other.

After the thrill is gone, CV's will go back to being a niche nuisance again.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,295 posts
10,483 battles
54 minutes ago, AquaSquirrel said:

I thought it was about Naval combat in the early mid 20th Century... including Subs and carriers. :cap_yes:

According to WG from the very first drawing board meeting that is correct.

[ARGSY]
Members
128 posts
4,173 battles

I am OK with one carrier per side but having just played about a dozen four carrier games in a row, I would say the situation just sucks. Most contests come down to a four carrier end game. Quite boring and quite frankly it is not much fun. Once you get down to about ten ships total both side's carriers can then just perma spot and systematically hunt down the remaining surface ships. Read the forums, if it is not fun for the majority of players (surface jocks) and only fun for the four carrier jocks in the game, then it really is not a good design. 

However, I will say that in single carrier games it seems to work very well and I find that quite fun. I like the mechanics and new graphics of the carrier reboot, it is just that when you get into multi carrier games there is really no fun. Especially if there are tier X carriers. I suspect that we will see fewer carriers but not for a while-especially with a British line coming out. Mid tier seems better but a tier IV game almost guarantees four carriers. I suppose because a lot of players are trying them for the first time. 

Members
2,566 posts
4,264 battles
On 2/7/2019 at 9:52 AM, Rouxi said:

While true-ish. Several CVs in game we're designed to use their planes to soften up the enemy then move in with CA level batteries.

Lexington and Graf Zeppelin for example. 

But you're confusing surface ships and "War ships".

Members
340 posts

I suspect the CV rework will be like the Edsel - management's determined dream that is rejected by customers.

[USFF]
Members
183 posts
5,789 battles

No. It’s a game about naval warfare which includes naval aviation because a carrier is a major surface ship.