You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sabene

AA Sector Reinforcement Efficiency

15 comments in this topic

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
467 posts
24,774 battles

"AA Sector Reinforcement Efficiency"

What does this mean?  Seriously, I do not know and am looking at manual AA control and this "reinforcement efficiency" is the primary element of that captain skill.

Frankly, I am finding Manual Fire control for AA something of a cruel joke now.  As a DD main I loved manual AA as it allowed me to focus on the most dangerous plane squad in the area.

And now?  It just helps swing the guns around and adds to "sector efficiency".  Huh?  What is that?

4 captain skill points for increased sector efficiency and I have no clue as to what, exactly, that means.

Who can enlighten me?

Edited by Sabene
spelling error

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,445 posts
5,261 battles

It is a percentage DPS increase for the reinforced sector, and a percentage de-buff to the non-reinforced sector.

[WGA]
Administrator
800 posts
454 battles

Hello Sabene,

Have you read through the AA explanation posted yesterday?

I hope this write-up helps answer some of your questions.

AA sector reinforcement (via special menu bound to "~" and "O" keys). Constant DPS in the chosen sector is increased by 25-60% (depends on class and shown in the Port) at the expense of the other sector. AA tracers in the prioritized sector turn red.

I think this is what you are looking for?

• Bad 1

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
467 posts
24,774 battles
3 minutes ago, iKami said:

Hello Sabene,

AA sector reinforcement (via special menu bound to "~" and "O" keys). Constant DPS in the chosen sector is increased by 25-60% (depends on class and shown in the Port) at the expense of the other sector. AA tracers in the prioritized sector turn red.

That article tells the benefit of focusing on a sector.  it does NOT tell the benefit of the captain skill Manual AA Fire Control.

So, I just had a battle in my Kidd and the captain had Manual AA.  When I chose a sector the AA allotment for that sector went to 180%.  The off sector was just 20%.

My current understanding, and correct me if I am wrong, is that if I did NOT have manual AA then the sectors would have been 160% and 40% respectively.  WITH manual AA they are 180% and 20%.

My conclusion is that manual AA does NOT add to total AA output of the ship, just the amount of AA applied to the chosen sector.

Am I wrong?

Please note that prior to 8.0 manual AA was a big bonus skill for an AA spec'd ship.  Now, it just swings more of your AA to a sector while weakening the other sector. 

Frankly, what I am seeing in game play is planes are flying all over.  They seem to WANT to get in close to avoid more dangerous at-range AA fire.  This means they are going around and over my ship repeatedly.  Given this observation, having an AA sector woefully undernourished (only 20%) is not a good plan at all.

Next question:  once you choose a sector and reinforce that sector....how to do you get back to 'standard' 100/100 AA?   There are times I want to get OUT of sector reinforcement.

~Sab

• Cool 1

[OKM]
Members
165 posts
2,322 battles

It does reinforce your global AA: more often planes will only be affected by a sector, and the decrease in sector switch make it easy to keep them under the strong sector, even when they fly over you. All in all, if played well, you can almost have a 20% increase in AA damage at all time.

to return it to 100/100, click on the reinforced sector. Note that while it is switching, the sector strengh stay the same. Thus if you wants to keep plane under the strong AA, try to time the switch for it to finish when the plane are on your other side.

[NWNG]
Members
2,565 posts
4,420 battles

If you can keep enemy aircraft in the reinforced sector, your AA output is increased. If you don't keep enemy aircraft in the reinforced sector, there is no difference, or you may see a drop, as CVs figure out which side is reinforced and which is not.

And as an example:

Your AA does 100 DPS continuous damage. 10 seconds is 1,000 damage

When you reinforce a sector, I believe the reinforcement differs between ships, so I'm going to use 120% and 80%. The reinforced sector now deals 120 DPS, while the reduced sector does only 80 DPS.

10 seconds in the reinforced sector, is 1,200 damage, while 10 seconds in the reduced sector is only 800 damage. 5 seconds in reinforced and 5 seconds in reduced, is 1000 damage.

Taking Manual AA, +20% sector efficiency, we get the following:

140% Reinforced, 60% reduced

10 seconds in reinforced is 1,400 damage, and 10 seconds in reduced is 600 damage, 5 seconds in each is still 1000 damage.

So MFCAA is still very viable, if you can keep the enemy inside your reinforced sector at all times.

• Cool 1

Members
20 posts
4,952 battles
11 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

If you can keep enemy aircraft in the reinforced sector, your AA output is increased. If you don't keep enemy aircraft in the reinforced sector, there is no difference, or you may see a drop, as CVs figure out which side is reinforced and which is not.

And as an example:

Your AA does 100 DPS continuous damage. 10 seconds is 1,000 damage

When you reinforce a sector, I believe the reinforcement differs between ships, so I'm going to use 120% and 80%. The reinforced sector now deals 120 DPS, while the reduced sector does only 80 DPS.

10 seconds in the reinforced sector, is 1,200 damage, while 10 seconds in the reduced sector is only 800 damage. 5 seconds in reinforced and 5 seconds in reduced, is 1000 damage.

Taking Manual AA, +20% sector efficiency, we get the following:

140% Reinforced, 60% reduced

10 seconds in reinforced is 1,400 damage, and 10 seconds in reduced is 600 damage, 5 seconds in each is still 1000 damage.

So MFCAA is still very viable, if you can keep the enemy inside your reinforced sector at all times.

After seeing this ^^  I am starting to think that Manual AA skill is not worth 4 skill points for me on any boat in my fleet.  I wish they would of added onto the description of the skill that states it doesn't add to the off sector at all, but actually weakens the off sector more. I don't see how this skill is worth 4 points.

[NWNG]
Members
2,565 posts
4,420 battles
4 minutes ago, LaRock_O_no_Lie said:

After seeing this ^^  I am starting to think that Manual AA skill is not worth 4 skill points for me on any boat in my fleet.  I wish they would of added onto the description of the skill that states it doesn't add to the off sector at all, but actually weakens the off sector more. I don't see how this skill is worth 4 points.

Would you rather deal 1000 damage, or 1,400 damage?

[WOLF7]
Members
10,795 posts
1 hour ago, iKami said:

Hello Sabene,

Just goes to show that WOWS seemingly refuses to accept that most players don't read anything about the game, and will never know wth is going on...:Smile_amazed:

This is what happens when you try to push complex mechanics in an arcade game....

• Cool 1

Members
20 posts
4,952 battles
9 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Would you rather deal 1000 damage, or 1,400 damage?

I like that it does add damage, but only if you perfect the switch while shooting at reds, dodging the planes, and everything else.  I have the skill on my main AA boats, but for the life of me I can't get the timing right.  So for me the skill doesn't add anything in the average damage on a cvs' attack run.  I possibly will get used to the timing on the switch but so far in my games I can shoot more planes down without prioritizing any sectors.  

I just think that at 4 skill points it should add 20% to the one sector and not take the extra 20% from the off sector... so the average dmg if you don't switch perfectly would be 20% higher.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,497 posts
7,362 battles
1 minute ago, LaRock_O_no_Lie said:

The key is Manual AA also speeds the time to switch sectors.  For DD and Cruisers this can be very nice.  The key is switching sectors does not remove the bonus from one side until the switch is completed.  When it only takes 4 seconds to switch you start switching when your enemy beings their attack run.  By the time they're on the other side, it should just have finished switching and you've avoided the penalty completely!  For cruisers it takes 8 seconds so it's not as clean but you can definitely reduce the downtime.  Even if you can't though, front loaded damage is much better.

For example in the latest update DM has a mid range aura of 1k (with BFT).  With Manual AA that goes up to 1.5k per second.  For reference, Shokaku's HP buffed TBs only have 1.4k HP!  The 90% accuracy modifier takes that down to 1.35k damage, so basically each tick will kill any of Shokaku's planes if they're taken any other damage at all.  Even if its only a tick of long range continuous damage.  That's great right?  This applies on the way out as well, if the mid range continuous hits a plane, then the long range continuous hits it on the way out, it dies.
If you don't have Manual AA, and only BFT, then it's 1k.  You need two ticks on full HP plane to kill it, and long range continuous doesn't help with any breakpoints.   Thus you're reliant on flak.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth, but it does have it's benefits.

• Cool 1

Members
20 posts
4,952 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Just goes to show that WOWS seemingly refuses to accept that most players don't read anything about the game, and will never know wth is going on...:Smile_amazed:

This is what happens when you try to push complex mechanics in an arcade game....

I have read that...  I understand the AA rework partially.  There are definitely some wonky things like when a boat has no short range AA the med range goes all the way into the boat...  which I think is not right.  but that is just my opinion.

"(IV) Manual Fire Control for AA Armament - increases the efficiency of sector reinforcing by 20% (which means 150% from 125%, for example) and reduces the time for switching by 20%."

there is nothing in this that says, reduced off side by extra 20%.  

Members
20 posts
4,952 battles
4 minutes ago, Kenjister said:

The key is Manual AA also speeds the time to switch sectors.  For DD and Cruisers this can be very nice.  The key is switching sectors does not remove the bonus from one side until the switch is completed.  When it only takes 4 seconds to switch you start switching when your enemy beings their attack run.  By the time they're on the other side, it should just have finished switching and you've avoided the penalty completely!  For cruisers it takes 8 seconds so it's not as clean but you can definitely reduce the downtime.  Even if you can't though, front loaded damage is much better.

For example in the latest update DM has a mid range aura of 1k (with BFT).  With Manual AA that goes up to 1.5k per second.  For reference, Shokaku's HP buffed TBs only have 1.4k HP!  The 90% accuracy modifier takes that down to 1.35k damage, so basically each tick will kill any of Shokaku's planes if they're taken any other damage at all.  Even if its only a tick of long range continuous damage.  That's great right?  This applies on the way out as well, if the mid range continuous hits a plane, then the long range continuous hits it on the way out, it dies.
If you don't have Manual AA, and only BFT, then it's 1k.  You need two ticks on full HP plane to kill it, and long range continuous doesn't help with any breakpoints.   Thus you're reliant on flak.

It's up to you to decide if it's worth, but it does have it's benefits.

Well, just to add on, I have only played BB and CV since the rework, so that might be part of my issue on the switching.  Since I like my BB play to be up close and personal.  I am usually up to my eyes in the brown stuff getting slung at me by several reds.

Thank you for your explanation.

[-VT-]
[-VT-]
Members
467 posts
24,774 battles

Damage in your primary sector is increased.  Damage in your off sector is decreased.  That is about it.

Yes, you can switch back and forth as need.  I can see that being useful for all ships...but...in a DD that is a bit hard to do as there is so much else going on.  My ADD has enough to manage without pimping ship AA every 3 seconds or so.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,577 posts
13,491 battles

The mechanic is very simple. You hold the ~ key and tell your dudes which side of the ship to run to. They take 5 seconds to run there, and then they gather around the AA gun mounts like the only TV at the sports bar that's showing the right game. That makes the guy who's actually manning the gun shoot 50% harder because he knows the others are judging him. It doesn't make him shoot faster, or make more flak bursts, he just shoots harder.

Then, when the planes fly past you, you hold ~ again and tell your dudes to micromanage the AA gunners on the other side of the ship so they actually get some [edited] work done, those lazy bastards. It still takes them 5 seconds to get over there though. Repeat until the planes are gone and everybody can go back to drinking, or your dudes go home because your ship sank.

Now, if you take Manual Control for AA Armaments, it's like getting a MBA, and your dudes will run to the other side of the ship in 4 seconds instead of 5 because you're such a good manager, and the guy running the AA gun will shoot 80% harder, holy [edited] you deserve a promotion.

Edited by Edgecase