Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Halonut24

Maybe CV don't need to be removed and DD aren't crybabies. (A solution)

[PLEASE READ POST BEFORE VOTING] Spotting Mechanic Rework Proposal  

13 members have voted

1. 1. After reading the proposal, what are your thoughts?

• I like it. With some minor tweaks it should work really well.
    • I like the direction you're going, though I would do it differently.
    • I don't see how this will change anything.
    • Not a fan of it right now. Needs major changes.
    • I'm not even considering this as a possible solution.
  2. 2. Obligatory Bacon question.

• To Bacon.
    • Not to Bacon.

9 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,544 battles

Okay, hopefully my sorta-clickbait title grabbed your attention, so hopefully you'll bear with me.

So a major problem centered around the CV right now is primarily from the DD crowd and how a CV's aircraft spot enemy ships, right? Let's see if we can't figure out a bipartisan solution to this, shall we?

I propose a rework to the spotting mechanics of CV aircraft. It would go as follows:

• Enemy ships spotted by carrier aircraft, by default, will ONLY be visible to the Carrier. The rest of the team will not see these ships, nor will they appear on the map in any way.
  • In order to still provide a means of effective scouting without "perma-spotting", a new consumable will be added to all Carrier Aircraft, called "Recon".
    • "Recon", when activated, will make all ships within aircraft detection range visible to the entire team. If a ship falls out of detection range after they are "Recon"ed, they will go unspotted.
    • The consumable will last between 10 and 20 seconds, depending on tier. Cooldown would be between 30 and 45 seconds, also depending on tier. (Longer durations and cooldowns will be at higher tiers)
    • If a squadron initiates an attack run during the active time of the "Recon" consumable, the consumable would then cancel and enter it's cooldown.
    • The "Recon" consumable would have, at base, 4 charges, but can increase to 6 with the "Superintendent" Captain Skill and the premium version of the consumable. It will be accessible to all types of aircraft. Each aircraft squadron will have it's own set of the consumables, like the current "Fighter Squadron" and "Engine Boost" consumables.
  • Non-Carrier Aircraft, like catapult fighters and spotter planes, will not be affected by the spotting changes.

I think this would alleviate a lot of the spotting issues when it comes to Carriers that both parties could agree on. Of course I'm sure it's not perfect and could use improvement, so any thoughts on how it could be improved are always welcomed.  If we can get it good enough, who knows? Maybe someone up high could see it and maybe pass it along? Crazier things have happened.

Also I'm not sure if this is an entirely unique idea, though since I haven't really seen it around I figured I might as well put it out there.

Anyways, cheers! 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,389 battles

I think that lowering the air detection for ships might be a step in the right direction.

I think your idea of the ships spotted by the carrier are only seen by the carrier is a bit harsh.  But maybe they could use the new radar mechanic?  So that the carrier spots the ship, there's a delay of X seconds, then the carrier can relay the information to the rest of the team.  X can be whatever number seems to work best.  Then, like radar, ships have some time to prepare themselves for the incoming "fun".

• Cool 1

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,544 battles
2 minutes ago, Gasboy said:

I think that lowering the air detection for ships might be a step in the right direction.

I think your idea of the ships spotted by the carrier are only seen by the carrier is a bit harsh.  But maybe they could use the new radar mechanic?  So that the carrier spots the ship, there's a delay of X seconds, then the carrier can relay the information to the rest of the team.  X can be whatever number seems to work best.  Then, like radar, ships have some time to prepare themselves for the incoming "fun".

Okay, I can see how that could work. Thanks.

Members
615 posts
12,822 battles

Spotting early is the key to victory.

The CV would spam this consumable early in the match, get the DDs dead, and not need the consumable at all later in the match

[LBA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,379 posts
16 minutes ago, Halonut24 said:

Okay, hopefully my sorta-clickbait title grabbed your attention, so hopefully you'll bear with me.

So a major problem centered around the CV right now is primarily from the DD crowd and how a CV's aircraft spot enemy ships, right? Let's see if we can't figure out a bipartisan solution to this, shall we?

I propose a rework to the spotting mechanics of CV aircraft. It would go as follows:

• Enemy ships spotted by carrier aircraft, by default, will ONLY be visible to the Carrier. The rest of the team will not see these ships, nor will they appear on the map in any way.
  • In order to still provide a means of effective scouting without "perma-spotting", a new consumable will be added to all Carrier Aircraft, called "Recon".
    • "Recon", when activated, will make all ships within aircraft detection range visible to the entire team. If a ship falls out of detection range after they are "Recon"ed, they will go unspotted.
    • The consumable will last between 10 and 20 seconds, depending on tier. Cooldown would be between 30 and 45 seconds, also depending on tier. (Longer durations and cooldowns will be at higher tiers)
    • If a squadron initiates an attack run during the active time of the "Recon" consumable, the consumable would then cancel and enter it's cooldown.
    • The "Recon" consumable would have, at base, 4 charges, but can increase to 6 with the "Superintendent" Captain Skill and the premium version of the consumable. It will be accessible to all types of aircraft. Each aircraft squadron will have it's own set of the consumables, like the current "Fighter Squadron" and "Engine Boost" consumables.
  • Non-Carrier Aircraft, like catapult fighters and spotter planes, will not be affected by the spotting changes.

I think this would alleviate a lot of the spotting issues when it comes to Carriers that both parties could agree on. Of course I'm sure it's not perfect and could use improvement, so any thoughts on how it could be improved are always welcomed.  If we can get it good enough, who knows? Maybe someone up high could see it and maybe pass it along? Crazier things have happened.

Also I'm not sure if this is an entirely unique idea, though since I haven't really seen it around I figured I might as well put it out there.

Anyways, cheers! 

The ironic thing is that this rework brought about a lot of CV spotting nerfs DD players and others have been asking for, for quite a long time.

Also few of them turn their AA off, giving away their position from much, much further away than they would normally.

So I'm not in favor of further spotting nerfs. Especially ones as broad and harsh as your proposal.

[DRACS]
Members
4,115 posts

No. Absolutely no.

Every ship in the game has a 'support' role of sorts. Battleships tank. Cruisers provide team oriented consumable support like DFAA, Radar, and Hydro. DDs cap and spot. Aircraft carriers spot.

I know everyone is up in arms about the ability for a *single squadron at a time* to spot enemy ships *within it's detection radiuses*, but in an AA heavy meta, especially uptiered, spotting is the ONLY thing they can do. And even then, they do it at a penalty typically as air spotting ranges are much shorter than surface spotting ranges.

And DDs with the AA turned off, have a *tiny* air spotting radius. So other than getting spotted when trying to cap at the start of the match, DDs should be very very difficult to spot since a very slight wiggle and course detour can easily make CV planes miss them unless they know exactly where they are (I'm also in the anti-RL camp for CVs). Problem is too many DDs don't seem to know there's a P button available to turn off AA and then get detected 5km away when their long range AA starts shooting at the planes.

Now, could you imagine if a consumable was needed for BBs to tank? Imagine if high tier BBs all had 25mm plating, but could activate a consumable for 15 seconds where they had 32mm so they can tank some BB shells coming their way. There would be rioting in the streets. But that's what's being proposed above for CV spotting. *On top of that*, not only can you only spot for your team 15 seconds at a time, but you're not allowed to attack during that time? Uhm ... no. Just no.

I understand the concern, and may even feel air spotting should be given the radar treatment of being visible to his team after a few seconds. But a limited use consumable that only last a few seconds at a time? Definitely not onboard with that unless said consumable was stupidly strong, like the CV being able to light up the *entire map* for those 15 seconds. And even then, still not strong enough to balance it, lol.

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,544 battles
2 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

No. Absolutely no.

Every ship in the game has a 'support' role of sorts. Battleships tank. Cruisers provide team oriented consumable support like DFAA, Radar, and Hydro. DDs cap and spot. Aircraft carriers spot.

I know everyone is up in arms about the ability for a *single squadron at a time* to spot enemy ships *within it's detection radiuses*, but in an AA heavy meta, especially uptiered, spotting is the ONLY thing they can do. And even then, they do it at a penalty typically as air spotting ranges are much shorter than surface spotting ranges.

And DDs with the AA turned off, have a *tiny* air spotting radius. So other than getting spotted when trying to cap at the start of the match, DDs should be very very difficult to spot since a very slight wiggle and course detour can easily make CV planes miss them unless they know exactly where they are (I'm also in the anti-RL camp for CVs). Problem is too many DDs don't seem to know there's a P button available to turn off AA and then get detected 5km away when their long range AA starts shooting at the planes.

Now, could you imagine if a consumable was needed for BBs to tank? Imagine if high tier BBs all had 25mm plating, but could activate a consumable for 15 seconds where they had 32mm so they can tank some BB shells coming their way. There would be rioting in the streets. But that's what's being proposed above for CV spotting. *On top of that*, not only can you only spot for your team 15 seconds at a time, but you're not allowed to attack during that time? Uhm ... no. Just no.

I understand the concern, and may even feel air spotting should be given the radar treatment of being visible to his team after a few seconds. But a limited use consumable that only last a few seconds at a time? Definitely not onboard with that unless said consumable was stupidly strong, like the CV being able to light up the *entire map* for those 15 seconds. And even then, still not strong enough to balance it, lol.

Okay, I see the logic there. Valid point.

[D12]
Members
1,150 posts
9,064 battles

why not add radar to planes then? I mean, what is the difference in that and radar? 

Beta Testers
199 posts
2,012 battles

I have a better idea do RTS only during launch to the area of attack of the chosen enemy, they it switches to current plane view until one uses up ones weapons and have a fuel gauge say 30 seconds over the area zone attacking say a radius of 5km this way DD could only be spotting in the attack area or en route but that would be RTS top to bottom view and say a DD is there they could hide popping smoke, no one seeing that from the plane view. And the overall mechanics wouldn't change you would enter the zone and attack normally then when you hit 'F' the planes return. It would be simpler and allow DD's to scout and do other things.

Sign in to follow this