You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Lee_Miserable

Can We Talking About The Ranked Dumpster Fire?

48 comments in this topic

Members
406 posts

Between the CV apocalypse and the GC nerfing, I think the dumpster fire that is ranked battles has not gotten the attention it deserves. 

This season is horrible. I'm not a fan of arms race. It's too arcade-ish and too gimmicky for a serious competitive mode.  Not having ANY irrevocable ranks beyond 12 has  promoted some serious camping game play.  You can count on some BB to be sniping from 23km out and farming damage with the sole purpose of keeping the star.  I've gotten 3 kills in a dd, racked up some pretty good damage, got buffs for my team, and generally been in this thick of it all battle, only to lose and then be second on my team in xp because some BB camped in one spot and farmed dmg.  WG.. if you are going to make arms race a part of the ranked rotation, then you need to rework the xp to level the playing field between all ship classes. With the repair buffs and ships constantly generating hp back, BB's are racking up huge dmg numbers. Basically, if you aren't a BB and you lose, you'll lose your star and that isn't right. I'm sick of doing more for my team but getting the shaft because someone gamed the system. Either rework how much xp is rewarded or let the 2 top earners keep a star. I'd even go so far as to suggest you let the top earner on the losing team earn a star and the 2nd place guy keep the star.  

Any thoughts? 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[WOLF5]
Members
1,789 posts
2,486 battles

I disagree. Ranked is pretty good. Arms race forces ships to fight. The team with camping BBs generally loses. Different dynamic this season, which I like.

• Cool 4

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,107 posts
4,337 battles
Just now, AJTP89 said:

I disagree. Ranked is pretty good. Arms race forces ships to fight. The team with camping BBs generally loses. Different dynamic this season, which I like.

Yeah, compared to last season I'm having quite a bit more fun. Last season was just... Yeesh, we don't talk about last season anymore.

• Cool 1

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,385 battles

Loads of people have commented that ranked is a breath of fresh air this time around.  Arms race is interesting, as well, the pre-CV-rework meta is safe and sound there.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,011 posts
9,102 battles

I'm having a pretty good time in Ranked even though yesterday was a bit of a disaster.  I saved 3 stars out of 4 losses.  One of them a 304k damage game.

In another loss, we had a Missouri player begin the battle complaining exactly what the OP is complaining about, camping BBs.  What does he immediately do?  Bingo.  He finds the biggest island and hides behind it until over half of our team is dead.  Then he peeks out and kills the 4/5ths dead enemy Alsace.

Even so, I'm enjoying it as a respite from Randoms and Co-op.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,518 posts
19,344 battles

To be honest, never played the Arms Race mode before, not much of a PvP player. I did play a game of Ranked and found myself capturing (?) the power ups merely by accident. They kept popping up close to me so grabbed them not quite understanding what they did (and still not sure what they did). They didn't really seem to be a big factor, the game unfolded like so many other PvP matches and then, inexplicably turned into an "in your face battle to the death" which was very fun for me. It wasn't only fun, it was very familiar for a co-op player and managed to do well, sinking three ships. Not sure how much the captured things did for the game or for how the battle unfolded. Best I can tell they were a non issue. 

[STW]
Members
696 posts
4,983 battles

I'm enjoying this ranked season much more than I have previous ones.  I've also had no problem saving my star as a DD and am fine with there being no irrevocable ranks after 12.  Is it irritating to not be able to do anything because your capital ships just want to sit back and not challenge the objective?  Of course, and it actively hurts the team because the buffs really start to add up.  But over the long-term, me playing DD well will take me farther up the ranks while those battleships playing that way will just languish where they are or lose ground.

Edited by Deviathan

[SPTR]
Members
3,514 posts
6,110 battles

This season is one of the most entertaining seasons I've ever been a part of. Having constantly shifting objectives near the middle of the map truly made this season engaging, exciting, even a bit scary, considering that I've played a lot of cruisers.

No irrevocable ranks might be a problem, but so far I don't have much problem managing my stars and my progression.

Yes, BBs can do what they always do, but the more they camp, the more they will suffer as the buffs rack up for the enemy team.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
3,505 posts
13,624 battles

OP has a point about the XP awarded. Regardless of the team play, the DD who grabs 5 or 6 buffs does not get rewarded for that accomplishment. No capture points. DD are always near the bottom in a loss even though they have contributed greatly to team capabilities.

Ranked is still a stress-builder for me. Not sure I can go past 10 without doing damage to my psyche...

• Cool 1

Members
39 posts
4,656 battles
16 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

I don’t feel quite the same about Rank. I’m kind of enjoying it, kind of. I have never agreed about the top player on the losing team keeping a star, I think it does promote selfish playing. 

Also I wouldn’t mind seeing another irrevocable rank somewhere between 12 and 1.

As far as your observation on BBs sitting back and farming damage, I don’t doubt that that has happened, but it’s not always a BB player as you suggest. I see it from all classes.(playing not to lose a star )

Overall I’m finding Rank to be somewhat enjoyable.

Edited by CptRemy

[WMD]
Members
421 posts
6,174 battles

I haven't played as much as I'd like, but it's been fun even in a loss this season. With no irrevocable ranks below 12 I'm not playing to reach 1, I'm just playing for a fun game mode.

[-K-]
Members
5,751 posts
9,793 battles
11 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

Yep, 100% agreed.  Enjoying Arms Race Ranked quite a bit this season, even if it is lopsided by some high strength premiums.

[WOLFC]
Members
270 posts
16,236 battles

Just goes to show you can't please everyone. Doesn't matter what WG does, someone won't like it.

I enjoy Arms Race by the way and I hope WG continues with this game mode.

• Cool 3

[CUTIE]
Members
1,526 posts
6,533 battles

I like the change; adding arms race to the mix definitely made for variety (I didn't play that mode when it was available before), and with the ships being tier 9 there are plenty of very good destroyers to choose from (most of them silver ships).  The flying "dumpster fire" has kept me off the servers for the most part, but in the 4 ranked battles I did play, all in Kitakaze, I have two wins and saved my star in both other games.

Given what I've seen done to battleships who attempted to push, I can't say I blame the ones who don't. :Smile_veryhappy:

[CWGC]
Members
819 posts
2,607 battles

quite enjoying this season myself though ive only made it to rank 10 as play time is very limited

[FYL]
Members
388 posts
1,847 battles

I disagree, this is the only source of fun for me atm. Though I've managed to have 2 non-cv randos in a row and that was so fun.

Members
2,757 posts
11,725 battles
21 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yep, 100% agreed.  Enjoying Arms Race Ranked quite a bit this season, even if it is lopsided by some high strength premiums.

All the complaining I have seen has been about the Jutland and Kitakaze?

[-BRS-]
Members
974 posts
29,134 battles

OP dose have good points about XP.  I just like ranked because there is no CV's playing it.

• Cool 2

[ONE]
Members
600 posts
9,435 battles

Lack of irrevocable levels between 11 to 1 makes this season worst of all seasons.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

Members
284 posts
10,245 battles
2 minutes ago, dcr66 said:

Lack of irrevocable levels between 11 to 1 makes this season worst of all seasons.

Season 9 had R10 irrevocable which was awful. Before my time apparently Season 2 or 3 had something similar. Otherwise they've never had any irrevocable ranks at the higher ranks.

Members
847 posts
5,193 battles
38 minutes ago, Rumple010 said:

Just goes to show you can't please everyone. Doesn't matter what WG does, someone won't like it.

Human nature, go figure.