Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ryan_Da_Great

Confusion on flooding

7 comments in this topic

[HAPPY]
Members
2 posts
1,343 battles

Note that this is in no way a complaint. 

I was simply wondering if there is any historical instances of a torpedo hitting a ship, detonating, and not causing flooding. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,789 posts
2,486 battles

Probably not, maybe near missed that damaged steering. Possibly direct hits on main belts of BBs, but don't recall any instances of that. Make a hole underwater and you get a flood IRL. Same thing with underwater shell hits

[AR15]
[AR15]
Beta Testers
125 posts
11,356 battles

Are we already in a stealth torp damage test--I had 11 hit with my MOGAMI yesterday for 0 floods on CV's and BB's.....

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

@Ryan_Da_Great of course a torpedo is going to cause flooding in the compartment that was breached. In this GAME though flooding would be the result of multiple compartments being breached. Much the same as some shell hits doing little or no damage. Also just as with multiple citadel hits in one salvo can sink a ship in an instant so can multiple torpedo hits. Yet no flooding is recorded since the target is eliminated immediately.

[ARGSY]
Members
7,925 posts
5,442 battles
31 minutes ago, Ryan_Da_Great said:

I was simply wondering if there is any historical instances of a torpedo hitting a ship, detonating, and not causing flooding. 

Torpedo bulges, in ships that have them, were designed to take one for the team and keep water and explosion damage out of the main hull (engine rooms, boilers, magazines etc.). The complete flooding of the torpedo bulge is a calculated design condition that can be lived with until the ship can get to a repair facility. 

At the ends of the ship, extreme subdivision is more possible and the compromise is to know how many compartments you can fill with water and still have a stable, navigable ship.

They are pointless now because torpedoes are designed to explode UNDER the ship, causing hydrodynamic explosion effects that break her back and likely split her in two. There's pretty much no defence against that, except to decoy the torpedo or maybe someday in the future destroy it.

WOWS does not model torpedo bulges because the IRL calculations were horrifically complex and this is an arcade game more than a simulator. The best it can do is model it through flooding chance. It ignores the fact that the usefulness of some torpedo protection systems (e.g. Pugliese) is markedly diminished after the first hit.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[PSP]
Members
7,923 posts
10,494 battles
37 minutes ago, Ryan_Da_Great said:

Note that this is in no way a complaint. 

Yes, several. If the bow is blown off the crew can sometimes close the watertight doors and continue on with the mission (or at least limp back to harbor and survive). The New Orleans had this happen.

USS_Minneapolis_after_Tassafaronga.jpg

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this