You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TheYamato

AskEveryone: So guys, how are you all adapting to the new meta?

29 comments in this topic

Members
64 posts
2,477 battles

Hey guys,

So the DDs have taken a bit of a hit of late and if I'm honest, I don't think that'll change. I welcome the new meta and want to adapt to it. I figured we'd all share how our gameplay has changed and tips to do better in the current state of things. Who wants first go? I'm a gentleman.

[INTEL]
Members
6,888 posts
27,552 battles

Let's see, Coop. Ops, Ranked.

Would I play IJN DDs in Randoms? (I am not concerned about radar)

Esp. after seeing iChase's "Flying Shima" video?

Would I play BBs after that video?

Shame WG. Why, oh why?

[HYDRO]
Members
2,219 posts
4,185 battles
5 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Let's see, Coop. Ops, Ranked.

Pretty much this. I don't see much point devoting alot of time on Randoms when the meta may be changing each patch/hotfix.

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

Not adapting at all in any class! Charge into harms way and hope the other 11 team mates are better than I and that the 12 opponents are not. Scrapped all my CVs then rebought Ryugo just for giggles to use as cannon fodder charging into the fray its guns do more damage than any thorn prick aircraft attack.

[INTEL]
Members
6,888 posts
27,552 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

Not adapting at all in any class! Charge into harms way and hope the other 11 team mates are better than I and that the 12 opponents are not. Scrapped all my CVs then rebought Ryugo just for giggles to use as cannon fodder charging into the fray its guns do more damage than any thorn prick aircraft attack.

I can and have adapted in 3-1/2 years in WOWS. I adapted when Minekaze torps were nerfed. I adapted when smoke was nerfed, making Chappy and Kutuzov to name a few, harder to play.

I adapted when IJN DDs got radared and shot to hell while trying to cap.

I adapted when there was a wall of Tirpitz, or a PEF fest or other many similar instances.

After seeing iChase's "Flying Shima" video how can I play? Do you think Montana or Minotaur stand a chance? How about Shimakaze?

If this is what WG had in mind, then they are accomplishing it. I do not understand why in their right minds would they want to alienate a big portion of their customer base (hint: percentage of CV players, according to WG itself was around 25%). So alienate the 75% that play other than CVs. Good move.

Radar doesn't bother me. Nerfed smoke doesn't bother me. Yue Yang nerfed to oblivion did bother me so I stopped playing it. Now I stopped Randoms. Ranked is ok (no sky cancer) but it ends soon.

They took out the best and most fun Ops (Dynamo and Cherry Blossom).

Keep going WG.

[WOLFC]
Members
349 posts
5,045 battles

Truth be told?  After the 1st night of utter chaos....not much different.

Spotting up a bit more but adapting is fairly easy. A good CV driver has always been able to do that so not seeing why the outcry.

If anything its easier to torp as everybody is slowing down and looking at all the pretty birdies flying around. That and people don't expect radar so are charging in more to get found out by my Chung Mu.

[CVA16]
Members
2,782 posts
10,470 battles
10 minutes ago, Anonymous50 said:

A good CV driver has always been able to do that so not seeing why the outcry.

Except there wasn't a good CV driver (or 2) in every friggin' battle.  Over half the battles you got to play as your chosen DD should. The radar explosion certainly made it harder but a DD was still an OK choice to bring into a battle. With planes in every game now it is very difficult to have a fun game.

Edited by Sabot_100
  • Cool 1

[TOG]
Members
2,971 posts
16,182 battles

It's been high/low. Having 2 CV's in the game can be a hindrance if both decide to double team you. Killing 2 CV's (Ranger/Langley) with an Anshan though by my lonesome had been fun. Especially when they're both out of planes and are now just targets.

Members
404 posts
592 battles

Playing mostly RU DD line, and having fun, planes are not more problem than before, Cruisers and BBs hiding a lot yes.

[WOLFC]
Members
349 posts
5,045 battles
On 2/7/2019 at 10:59 AM, Sabot_100 said:

Except there wasn't a good CV driver (or 2) in every friggin' battle. 

In my experience, the % of good CV drivers is about the same as before.   The amount of times I see a CV in a game went down a bit with the patch but the % chance is now about the same as it was prior to the CV apocalypse®  .

Members
1,120 posts
95 battles
On 2/7/2019 at 7:22 PM, TheYamato said:

So the DDs have taken a bit of a hit of late and if I'm honest, I don't think that'll change. I welcome the new meta and want to adapt to it.

Even 'fairly good' players like Flamu say that they stopped playing DDs for now so yeah, it's not as fun until CV hype dies down a notch. At the same time Ranked is really awesome for DDs this season and so there's a great outlet where you can have fun games and win plenty of useful stuff.

I'm still playing Mighty Mo occasionally in Randoms and I might try what Flamu did in his Monty video - abandon concealment and go for full AA build with manual AA. You don't really need to spend 4 points on CE if you're plane spotted all the time anyways.

On 2/7/2019 at 7:27 PM, alexf24 said:

Would I play IJN DDs in Randoms? (I am not concerned about radar)

Esp. after seeing iChase's "Flying Shima" video?

Would I play BBs after that video?

This particular issue has been fixed with hotfix. 

Members
64 posts
2,477 battles

I've maintained my builds because I know these things will get fixed, but until then best be patient rather than testy. And yes, while CV's can harass you to holy hell if you man a DD, I have found the experience of juggling sector boost and manual AA to be quite an enjoyable new dimension to the gameplay because not only are there more planes, they are easier to shoot down than before. EG: even when I was the last guy in my team against two CV's and they knew where I was because I had smoked to torp a BBaby, I was able to toy with smoke and slamming P/O keys. I was in Pan-asian T8 mind you - 17 airplane kills and 2 used smokes. 

It is only a matter of time before the game is enjoyable again - this rework juiced CV's so badly that it sucked for us. It's an honest attempt to revitalize a much-underplayed class of ships, but a bit imbalanced. Even now it's getting better, because since the hot fix, I have even been able to have consecutive games without a carrier.

[1NJS]
Members
79 posts
5,418 battles

I am a little tired of always being the person that must "learn to adapt to the new meta" the most (dd main) so I have taken an extended vacation from wows and am being rather successful at finding other money sinks....

Members
404 posts
592 battles

I am getting better results than before, CVs can be irritating if they focus all their effort in the poor DD, if not I do my job as best as possible.

[-BRS-]
Members
26 posts
3,293 battles
On 2/14/2019 at 9:10 AM, nina_blain_73 said:

spending much more time in other games

This.

With each day the memory of games played in WOWS fades as does the desire to play a random game. 

Premiums purchased with real money are altered, items are changed that no one seemed to request (flooding), buffs occur that seem to make no sense (RU Radar range), and WG wastes time on CV's that a minority seem to even be interested in.  Next up Submarines.  Sadly, its hard to imagine a reason to hang around right now particularly if you enjoy(ed) DD's.

• Cool 1

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
4,473 posts
14,393 battles

Nascar 2015! Six or 7 hours for a race is better than 20 minutes here post 0.8.0.0

• Cool 1

Members
2,107 posts
10,673 battles

I am in the process of reworking my controls as AA requires far more micro to get the most out of it.  Being able to dodge while controlling AA at the same time is impossible with the default P and O keys.  I feel this ability is now critical.

Cvs are mostly dealt with through good positioning.  Players need to realize most ships lost a lot of AA range.  For example a pre 0.8.0 Des Moines had a maximum potential AA range of 7.2km, post 0.8.0 it is now 5.8km.  My best piece of advice I can offer is to use your concealment circle you should have enabled on your mini map.  For example a Gearing has a 5.8km concealment circle drawn around it.  You can accurately use that to judge distance from AA support that will prevent a CV from striking you multiple times.

This is not to say you always need to be in that range, but if you are capping, low HP, or planes are in the area it is prudent to have good positioning for AA support in ANY DD, including Grozovoy.

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Members
680 posts
7,474 battles

Tier V, where the planes are not as capable, not much has changed.

Tier X, where the planes are fast and bring the hurt, oh yea, things have changed.

Capping and flanking Island cappers is crazy dangerous. To be caught alone by the angry sky pests is half your HP if not death. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,782 posts
10,470 battles

A lot of CV players state that it is a "good thing" to force DDs to operate with the fleet, but their strongest aid to their team has always been operating as scouts and flankers. Staying with the team negates most of what they do best and pretty much sucks all the fun out of playing a DD (except for a few cruiser-like gunboat DDs where it is only MOST of the fun). Sort of like getting a Ferrari but you are only allowed to drive it in school zones and rush-hour traffic. If you are forced to play in the AA-ball fleet, you might as well play an AA cruiser, which is what we see when CVs get common. Can you play a DD this way? Yes, but why would you?

As CV players get frustrated their numbers have dropped, I'm seeing a few more DDs coming back into the teams. This will swing back and forth depending on what each update does to the CV population.

Members
64 posts
2,477 battles
4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

A lot of CV players state that it is a "good thing" to force DDs to operate with the fleet, but their strongest aid to their team has always been operating as scouts and flankers. Staying with the team negates most of what they do best and pretty much sucks all the fun out of playing a DD (except for a few cruiser-like gunboat DDs where it is only MOST of the fun). Sort of like getting a Ferrari but you are only allowed to drive it in school zones and rush-hour traffic. If you are forced to play in the AA-ball fleet, you might as well play an AA cruiser, which is what we see when CVs get common. Can you play a DD this way? Yes, but why would you?

As CV players get frustrated their numbers have dropped, I'm seeing a few more DDs coming back into the teams. This will swing back and forth depending on what each update does to the CV population.

I do feel it is a good thing because some DDs were just never meant to be lone platforms (cough cough Pan-Asian DD line) but rather aids. How a PA guy can operate without fleet just baffles, especially since the main batteries on the Yue Yang got nerfed, and say he/she is playing sensibly just baffles me. Nah, you need to be with someone who can spot for you while outside the smoke, otherwise all you can do is disengage like a pro.

I feel that most DDs were ever meant as fleet support like this as an advance force, not as fully independent ships - the difference being a lot of DDs had the ability to just leave their team behind and go harass the enemy... that's done now and only possible on DD's that were explicitly made to take on other ships alone (like the Black with its radar and the upcoming Neustroshimy - DD with royal navy heal but only 4 main guns at 4 second reload. Real joy.)

One great thing is that all ships have been given -20% air detection. This change in hotfix 0.8.0.3 seems to have been VERY well received.

I do feel like CV's will get buffed again though, because in time, WeeGee will realize that much of the complaints came from the fact that there were CV's in every game at the time where complaints were pouring down on them. So I would not be surprised if they did something along those lines.

There's gonna be another 0 doubloons for retraining caps soon, so the experience should give us time to rebalance our builds. I think everyone was running AA level:Jesus builds after the rework.

Members
25 posts
6,427 battles

I just asked them to Delete all my DD's and find a way to reimburse me for the 100's of hours I invested in 18 DD's. So fed up I might be done. Radar on every ship sucks. Planes that travel at light speed suck, Planes plus Radar is not playable in a DD. I'm about done for good.  I left once before, I'm damn close to quiting again. 

[-TNT-]
Members
394 posts
7,170 battles

I had two enemy Lexington CVs double team me while I was in my Kidd..... I think it was on the 37th plane I down they gave up on me.  Oh yeah I was banned on chat for saying "Bring it B%tches" I got the 30 planes mission completed but hated the chat ban.  

Edited by Kestrel_Falcon