You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LittleWhiteMouse

Are you ready for 0.8.0.1?

82 comments in this topic

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,662 posts
8,145 battles

KaCTGft.jpg

CV Live Testing Round Two

For those of you who have been toughing out game play in 0.8.0, I tip my hat to you.  The process of playtesting can be hella frustrating and it's definitely not something everyone can stomach, especially over the long term.  I understand fully why some people don't want to play right now until things mellow out and that's completely fair.  Hopefully this second iteration will get us much closer to the finished product and make things more enjoyable.  Maybe it may encourage a few sitting on the sidelines to dip their toe in, if only for a little bit.  For my part, I spent all last night going over the AA of every single surface ship in the game and copying out their stats to compare them to the changes coming in 0.8.0.1.  It was pretty eye opening, I can tell you, and just doing the preliminary math on why the old AA DPS just wasn't up to scratch was self evident.  I'll probably be spending later today mathing out how the increased DPS affects gameplay at different tiers.  Hopefully I can publish something this evening once this eye strain goes away. x.x

Good luck in your play testing, guys.  Lemme know how it feels.  I'll try and back up what you're experiencing with some easy-to-digest data soon.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse
  • Cool 23

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles

Good Lord mouse that is some serious work kudos to you

Members
135 posts
14 battles

Doesn't really feel any different than my time in CBT so that might be why I don't personally understand the utter freak out. 

[KNMSU]
Members
4,676 posts
5,097 battles

I blew up a few carriers over the course of the day. I would rate their explosions as "satisfactory." However, unfortunately, it is no more so than prior to 8.0. I had anticipated improvement on this front, but, alas - no love to be had. Clearly, further killing is required.

• Funny 4

[WG-CC]
9,662 posts
8,145 battles
6 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Good Lord mouse that is some serious work kudos to you

The basics are pretty simple -- it's all a numbers game.

• Take the speed of aircraft.
  • Convert this to the scaled meters-per-second closing speed.
  • Compare this to the range of a given mount to get the amount of time an attacking aircraft would spend in an aura.
  • Multiply the DPS of a mount by its accuracy to get the damage done per pulse from the AA guns.
  • Multiply the time spent in an aura by the amount of damage a ship spits out.
  • Compare that to the hit points per aircraft.
  • Repeat this for each aura to give an approximation of the damage a squadron takes on an attack run.

This gives us the approximate amount of damage a squadron should take for an attack run attempt against an isolated target, barring running into any explosions.  You can then add or subtract however many explosions you figure the squadron will run into during it's attack run and get an idea of the effectiveness of a ship's AA firepower.  Scale this with commander skills, upgrades, signals, consumables and what have you and we should be able to better understand and appreciate the AA vs CV meta that much better.

Edited by LittleWhiteMouse

[_-_]
Members
1,574 posts

On top of that, we get PT 8.1 today too. British CV's. Yip yip yahoo.

[WG-CC]
9,662 posts
8,145 battles

Quick fun fact for you all:

C-Hull Bensons had worse raw AA firepower than B-Hull Bensons.   Defensive AA Fire is meant to make up the difference.  Sucks to be you if the CV F'd out and avoided your consumable only to return 30 seconds later to bomb your stupid face again. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,292 posts
7,994 battles

So what happens to all of that ridiculous destroyer AA that in 0.8.0 could cripple a T10 squadron in one flack bubble? When is Atlanta getting the same treatment for reinforcing? 

[CCPLZ]
Members
3 posts
2,667 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Quick fun fact for you all:

C-Hull Bensons had worse raw AA firepower than B-Hull Bensons.   Defensive AA Fire is meant to make up the difference.  Sucks to be you if the CV F'd out and avoided your consumable only to return 30 seconds later to bomb your stupid face again. 

Looking at the numbers myself I thought that was the case.  I was all prepped to go to the C hull to try and survive the 0.8.0 menace.  Much to my surprise I noticed that even though the number of mount's went up, the DPM goes down.

[WG-CC]
9,662 posts
8,145 battles
1 minute ago, NeoRussia said:

So what happens to all of that ridiculous destroyer AA that in 0.8.0 could cripple a T10 squadron in one flack bubble? When is Atlanta getting the same treatment for reinforcing? 

That's what I'm going to be comparing when I have my client patched.  I'll be spending the next 4 or 5 hours recopying out and comparing AA from before and after.

[KNMSU]
Members
4,676 posts
5,097 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

That's what I'm going to be comparing when I have my client patched.  I'll be spending the next 4 or 5 hours recopying out and comparing AA from before and after.

Do you not... work?

• Cool 1

[SPCU]
Members
555 posts
4,708 battles
4 minutes ago, ToadyJanker said:

… or sleep?

PEZ dispenser near the monitor. Fully stocked with alternating "espresso" and "amphetamine" flavors.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
2,049 posts
14,769 battles

I guess I gotta give WG accolades for even trying this

Nations of battleship admirals couldnt make  Aircraft carriers play nice with surface ships back in the day They were game breaking back then

Yet here we are trying to do the same thing  With fewer ships good luck with that

And your trying to put more than one per side in each game lol

Why waste a precious ship spot if you want   Airplanes in the game you could have unending plane spam come in off map

Good luck with trying to find some balance thats FUN for all

It's never gonna happen

• Cool 3

[WG-CC]
9,662 posts
8,145 battles
19 minutes ago, Battleship_AndreaDoria said:

Do you not... work?

Yes.

19 minutes ago, ToadyJanker said:

… or sleep?

Sometimes.

• Cool 1

[_-_]
Members
1,574 posts
15 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

PEZ dispenser

Stop making us geezers feel even older, you hater! :Smile_veryhappy:

• Funny 1

[LOS]
Members
600 posts
8,935 battles
3 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yes.

Sometimes.

Thanks Miss Mouse!  There alot of us out here that really appreciate your work and use your past articles as reference in our ships' library!

• Cool 1

[SPCU]
Members
555 posts
4,708 battles
5 minutes ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Stop making us geezers feel even older, you hater! :Smile_veryhappy:

Pez loves you and wants you to be happy. Pez dont judge. Pez's <3 is unconditional. Same goes for caffeine. 

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
5,968 posts
7,952 battles

Are you ready for 0.8.0.1?

No.

Only just woke up. Besides, after 6 months of "testing", the novelty wears off. I'll just carry on playing my usual, and hope for the best.

[WG-CC]
9,662 posts
8,145 battles
4 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

No.

Only just woke up. Besides, after 6 months of "testing", the novelty wears off. I'll just carry on playing my usual, and hope for the best.

Believe you me, after more than 3 years of play testing mechanics in various states of broken, I can relate.

[RED]
Members
144 posts
9,683 battles
47 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

But if the CVs can dodge all the flak bursts at will and sustain no damage until they are in close range aura, what is the point of theoretical DPM calculation?

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,518 posts
19,359 battles
2 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

But if the CVs can dodge all the flak bursts at will and sustain no damage until they are in close range aura, what is the point of theoretical DPM calculation?

I think the way it works is that carriers can avoid the flak bursts but there is some other AA that gives damage per second (?) when they get closer. They can not avoid that.

[GLF]
Beta Testers
582 posts
11,017 battles
44 minutes ago, Xanshin said:

PEZ dispenser near the monitor. Fully stocked with alternating "espresso" and "amphetamine" flavors.

Just had my morning chuckle....thx

+1

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
716 posts
4,595 battles
4 minutes ago, custer_14 said:

Got to make sure that targets are fun for the CV player to kill.  Doesn't really matter if it's fun for the targets to shoot back.

• Cool 1