You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Pulicat

To Sub_Octavian, From The Silent Appreciators

110 comments in this topic

[O7]
Members
5,159 posts
9,646 battles

For context

Spoiler

Everything below was what I could gather in 24 hours. If you would like to add, please comment below!

Dear, Sub_Octavian,

“I’d just like to commend him on being able to take this community’s pettiness for so long and that he’s doing a spiffing job.” -Battleships_Are_Weak 

It’s okay. Mistakes happen sometimes but people always will make solutions. You couldn’t have known how poor the reaction was going to be until it hit the live server, just keep working at it and you’ll get it right. Besides warships is just a game, a game that makes a lot of people happy. Maybe not at the moment, but it’ll get fixed and people will accept it. Side note: excellent job on ranked this season it’s been a lot of fun in my opinion.” -ExplodingPeach  

“In terms of my thoughts on this S_O situation it pains me. S_O was one of those guys that always took the time to give as much information as possible and clear up any confusions that people might have. Overall, he is one of the more pleasant and nice WG Staff. On behalf of ADOPT(na) I wish him all the best in his future. Words can have a great impact; it is our responsibility to be nice and treat everyone as we would like to be treated.” -Sh1Zuk0  

Unfortunately, nowadays not enough people show their appreciation for hard work and get caught up with their own personal needs. keep up the hard work and know that even though you probably don't hear it enough we all see the hard work that isn't necessary and the passion you have for our community. take the time you need but don't let the raging kids bring you down.” -Salty_McPirate  

He's cute” -Sep  

“Sub is the face we see most when major changes happen, when the community is outraged, and when it is time to make a major announcement such as the beginning of the year. WG gets a lot of hate, but Sub always keeps it real and tells it like it is. This conduct of his is GREATLY appreciated and a showcase of exactly what we want as a community. Sub is the MVP” -Kebobstuzov  

“Reddit is toxic and will always post their feelings, in the most direct way possible. Take time to relax.” -~MLX~  

“Get well soon!” -Anonymous  

“For a gaming company to have a memorable PR rep says a lot” -Calamari  

“Go out and have fun under the sun, eat some good food, forget about the salty dudes, they're just, well, salty." -Martirsadota  

“As a Community Contributor, I definitely appreciate you taking the time as one of the head figures of World of Warships to help answer questions and clarify any misconceptions that players certainly have. The value of you for the community is certainly strong, and you aren't to blame with the inconvenient timing of the Rework being released and other announcements in the process. Having a figure that can act in between and care for the game is one that I haven't seen in most games I have played for a while. I definitely appreciate it even before becoming a CC. Enjoy some time off, and relax man! Don't let the narky comments get to you” -FuryTomic  

While I don't actually spend much time on the game anymore, I completely understand his position and his decision to step away from his position for a little while. As a former customer support guy, I sympathize.” -Anonymous 

“I've been on and off the forums, and I think Sub does a fair job. I wouldn't be able to put up with that much stupidity and reeee'ing on a daily basis. It's good to know the guy cares and isnt all soulless and stoic, as he said about not wanting to provide empty emotionless PR answers. I wish him well and I hope he knows that most of us love the game, the silent majority that plays it, loves it and recommends it to friends and family. I've met some pretty awesome people here, and most of the CC people have been unusually kind and helpful to me, and that's pretty cool! If I had to do it all over again, I would. I more than got my money's worth in laughs, memories and good times. I think itd be a good idea to take a break and step back from it all though man, do yourself a solid and find a distraction for a while, before you keep up the good work. Hope this helps! Take care! -MudFrogS1C  

“His dedication is admirable” -Mein_Kraft  

“Dear Sub and team, You guys have always been great to the community and our continual enjoyment of this wonderful game, I do hope that you guys do not take too much of what the community has been saying these last few days, it shows how passionate you have made this community for this game ;). Many of us understand that you are trying to change the game for the better and I'm sure many would agree that this short-term pain will be worth the long-term gain. We still love you guys and you are easily one of the more in touch groups of devs out there at the moment, please keep up the good work and I can't wait till the day where everyone in the community is praising the CV change rather than [edited] about it” -400 Babies  

Sub_Octavian is one of the biggest reasons I have stuck with World of Warships. I've played a lot of games, and only in this one have I felt like my voice as a community member is really heard and taken to heart. Sub works incredibly hard to make sure this game is as fun as possible for everyone, and I have every bit of faith in him accomplishing that goal.” -Ooduke42 

“I’ve never really had much direct contact with Octavian, since I don’t use Reddit. Even so, I know who he is, what he does, and the length he will go to for people, even if it’s individual player issues. During this tumultuous time, we have scorned not just a WG representative, but a person who is a part of this community. An integral part. His absence will be felt, and we can only hope he sees fit to give us his time again. Octavian, enjoy your time away, and don’t forget that there will always be a silent majority that appreciates what you do.” -Pulicat 

• Cool 39
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 4

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,119 posts
4,337 battles

Hell I'm sick of all the negativity just here on the forums and it's not even directed at me! You've got a much higher tolerance for this than I, Sub. Stay strong.

• Bad 1

[KNTAI]
Members
2,183 posts
9,512 battles

Ya, idk how he stand it. Just skimming some of the crap that gets posted here makes my IQ drop.

For what it's worth, the forums have been one of the best places to get news of updates on the game, and hey, I found [KNTAI] here so it's not all bad.

[O7]
Members
590 posts
13,477 battles

I must say, it seems that Sub was one of the more sensible WG employees.  He was able to put out so many of the fires caused by his less objective compatriots.  Enjoy the time away from Reddit.  I also hope that the suffering he had to endure gives Wargaming a reason to actually listen to its player base next time before hastily releasing untested and wildly unbalanced content. 

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[NOBS]
Members
1,018 posts
7,532 battles
10 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

For context

Reveal hidden contents

Everything below was what I could gather in 24 hours. If you would like to add, please comment below!

Dear, Sub_Octavian,

“I’d just like to commend him on being able to take this community’s pettiness for so long and that he’s doing a spiffing job.” -Battleships_Are_Weak 

It’s okay. Mistakes happen sometimes but people always will make solutions. You couldn’t have known how poor the reaction was going to be until it hit the live server, just keep working at it and you’ll get it right. Besides warships is just a game, a game that makes a lot of people happy. Maybe not at the moment, but it’ll get fixed and people will accept it. Side note: excellent job on ranked this season it’s been a lot of fun in my opinion.” -ExplodingPeach  

“In terms of my thoughts on this S_O situation it pains me. S_O was one of those guys that always took the time to give as much information as possible and clear up any confusions that people might have. Overall, he is one of the more pleasant and nice WG Staff. On behalf of ADOPT(na) I wish him all the best in his future. Words can have a great impact; it is our responsibility to be nice and treat everyone as we would like to be treated.” -Sh1Zuk0  

Unfortunately, nowadays not enough people show their appreciation for hard work and get caught up with their own personal needs. keep up the hard work and know that even though you probably don't hear it enough we all see the hard work that isn't necessary and the passion you have for our community. take the time you need but don't let the raging kids bring you down.” -Salty_McPirate  

He's cute” -Sep  

“Sub is the face we see most when major changes happen, when the community is outraged, and when it is time to make a major announcement such as the beginning of the year. WG gets a lot of hate, but Sub always keeps it real and tells it like it is. This conduct of his is GREATLY appreciated and a showcase of exactly what we want as a community. Sub is the MVP” -Kebobstuzov  

“Reddit is toxic and will always post their feelings, in the most direct way possible. Take time to relax.” -~MLX~  

“Get well soon!” -Anonymous  

“For a gaming company to have a memorable PR rep says a lot” -Calamari  

“Go out and have fun under the sun, eat some good food, forget about the salty dudes, they're just, well, salty." -Martirsadota  

“As a Community Contributor, I definitely appreciate you taking the time as one of the head figures of World of Warships to help answer questions and clarify any misconceptions that players certainly have. The value of you for the community is certainly strong, and you aren't to blame with the inconvenient timing of the Rework being released and other announcements in the process. Having a figure that can act in between and care for the game is one that I haven't seen in most games I have played for a while. I definitely appreciate it even before becoming a CC. Enjoy some time off, and relax man! Don't let the narky comments get to you” -FuryTomic  

While I don't actually spend much time on the game anymore, I completely understand his position and his decision to step away from his position for a little while. As a former customer support guy, I sympathize.” -Anonymous 

“I've been on and off the forums, and I think Sub does a fair job. I wouldn't be able to put up with that much stupidity and reeee'ing on a daily basis. It's good to know the guy cares and isnt all soulless and stoic, as he said about not wanting to provide empty emotionless PR answers. I wish him well and I hope he knows that most of us love the game, the silent majority that plays it, loves it and recommends it to friends and family. I've met some pretty awesome people here, and most of the CC people have been unusually kind and helpful to me, and that's pretty cool! If I had to do it all over again, I would. I more than got my money's worth in laughs, memories and good times. I think itd be a good idea to take a break and step back from it all though man, do yourself a solid and find a distraction for a while, before you keep up the good work. Hope this helps! Take care! -MudFrogS1C  

“His dedication is admirable” -Mein_Kraft  

“Dear Sub and team, You guys have always been great to the community and our continual enjoyment of this wonderful game, I do hope that you guys do not take too much of what the community has been saying these last few days, it shows how passionate you have made this community for this game ;). Many of us understand that you are trying to change the game for the better and I'm sure many would agree that this short-term pain will be worth the long-term gain. We still love you guys and you are easily one of the more in touch groups of devs out there at the moment, please keep up the good work and I can't wait till the day where everyone in the community is praising the CV change rather than [edited] about it” -400 Babies  

Sub_Octavian is one of the biggest reasons I have stuck with World of Warships. I've played a lot of games, and only in this one have I felt like my voice as a community member is really heard and taken to heart. Sub works incredibly hard to make sure this game is as fun as possible for everyone, and I have every bit of faith in him accomplishing that goal.” -Ooduke42 

“I’ve never really had much direct contact with Octavian, since I don’t use Reddit. Even so, I know who he is, what he does, and the length he will go to for people, even if it’s individual player issues. During this tumultuous time, we have scorned not just a WG representative, but a person who is a part of this community. An integral part. His absence will be felt, and we can only hope he sees fit to give us his time again. Octavian, enjoy your time away, and don’t forget that there will always be a silent majority that appreciates what you do.” -Pulicat 

Nice job kissing up! 

"If you can't take the heat, don't make yourself the face of the company" 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 5
  • Bad 33
  • Angry 1

[GT99]
Members
398 posts
6,386 battles

I commend you and thank you for this post. It is discouraging to see people act the way they do, but I understand it, I worked in corrections for 17 years so no surprise. Sub had a hard job and he interacted with the community but all they did was show disrespect and anger. I wish people could put themselves in other people's shoes for a moment and reflect on what it may be like to be them. I've seen the good ones run off many times in my life and it is uncalled for. Hell, I walked away from a good job over disrespect. 

Sub, you do you.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
938 posts
4,411 battles

I clearly missed something.  What's going on with Sub_Octavian?

I like that guy.  Is he ok?

[SPTR]
Members
26,341 posts
11,623 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

He was a staff member for WG but quited sadly over the community's lack of respect/appreciation for what he does in WG for the community.

[OO7]
WoWS Community Contributors, Alpha Tester
149 posts
11,094 battles

Meeting Sub at Anaheim was a pleasure. He is more passionate than anyone when it comes to this game.

The way the community treats him is appalling, and the way everyone acted with 8.0, he didn't deserve any of it.

Get some rest Sub, we'll hold down the fort for now.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Supertester
780 posts
4,435 battles

Chat to Sub myself privately and had a great discussion with him. He doesn't deserve any of what was said about him and has my utmost respect for what he does for the community. While people may not like changes the game is making, there's no need to take it out on somebody who does so much for us.

I'll pass this along to him!

• Cool 1

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
4,981 battles

and once again reddit create a new mess. i will miss him.

Edited by Cruxdei

Members
11 posts
483 battles

At the end of the day, no company can make everyone who uses their product (or in this case play  their game) happy.  But instead of realizing that, people have lashed out against someone who honestly was just doing his job.  He's put in a lot of effort (more than we see from others in even larger gaming companies / industries in some cases) and should be given credit for it.  Hopefully all is well, and things can move forward for the guy.  Yeah, sure - stuff like this 'comes with the turf' - but that doesn't mean it's okay to go full keyboard warrior on the guy.  Some of you guys need to remember that behind that account name and display is another person.  You wouldn't say half the crap some post on these forums to someone's face - so why are you doing it from behind your desk.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
71 posts
1,247 battles

you hang in there buddy i know what its like to get criticism from people that don't get it all you got to do is look at my post over the tears in ships and tanks haters are gonna hate and im sure you guys are working on it and it takes time just hang in there

[VNES]
Members
454 posts
6,099 battles
3 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

@Sub_Octavian quits forum and reddit because of player base anger over CV rework and premium ship nerf. I appreciate @Sub_Octavian for his patience and passion in his work but I am really not sure who should I appreciate for merging my threads regarding Deletion of CV temporary/permanently or addition of No-CV game mode amidst this CV rework chaos to a thread named "My turn to whine" which has no relevancy what so ever. Honestly though, for a patch that has caused many decent players to take refuge from Random Games or outright quit WOWS despite their addiction, I wouldn't expect any less reactive repercussion of the player base on the company's PR staff either. It always works like a mirror, when the game causes us frustration, those frustration will always be reflected back and PR staffs happen to be ones who take it all.

As much as I sympathize with what @Sub_Octavian is going thru, I equally hope that he and WOWS developers sympathize with us, decent players who already quit/take refuge from the game because of the pain and frustration that the patches have caused us. Hope that SubOct will be back soon, and hope that I have the reason to get back to the game I love soon.

Regards,

Linus

• Cool 2
  • Angry 1

[2347]
Members
265 posts
5,792 battles

I don't have any personal issues with you or your opinion on the subject, but probably it's time to take a really long break from this sub. I guess people, while being very passionate about the game, tend to forget that any CM, representative, developer or any staff member is a human being as well. Right now it's 23:20. I've started working at 09:45, got home more or less in time (working from mobile on my way), but now I'm not spending time with friends, reading, chilling or anything else - I'm going through the sub, looking for topic/questions to answer, and things to clarify, not mentioning DM (and some other channels, too). I frankly don't expect any credit for it, but hope for somewhat...adequate conversation at least? Where, for instance "load of crap" is not the preferred way to enter the discussion. And where people actually try to understand each other's positions before shoving sarcasm, drama and other wonderful things like "if you do X, I will not spend a cent" in the face. Especially given the fact that I'm automatically denied the right to yell, troll, freak out, abuse DM, as I represent the team here. Surely I'm not a victim, no way I'm blaming you or anyone; I care for the game, players, and eventually the sub, because it is a home to big cool international community, so I've been mostly very happy working here. But that's not my job, and I'm afraid I can't properly handle my involvement here anymore, to the point that it may hurt my actual duties (working on each update strategy and informational support and managing my team). It also hurts me emotionally at this point, because I'm not the kind of person who doesn't give a crap and wants to feed you cold stupid PR responses - I try to absorb and experience everything I see here personally and deeply. And if it's a negative experience I usually raise it within the team and push hard for player's PoV to the best of my ability. But I can still do that, without exposing myself over and over again to...well, this. I heard some people said I can be a real (censored) - probably I that's true, and I'm sorry for that. I apologize for all interactions that pissed anyone off, no harm meant. See you in some indefinite time, I guess, and of course I'm not the only person monitoring the sub, so your feedback, concerns, suggestions and wonderful memes will be heard and represented properly in the team. Thanks everyone.

Hopefully it's okay to repost this here. I'm not very familiar with Reddit and had no idea what was going on myself. I wish him well and understand how frustrating this episode must be for a great many people working quietly behind the scenes.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
2,359 posts
14,161 battles

I feel sorry for Mr. Octavian

I also feel sorry for the numbers of players that have quit, professed to quit or are thinking about quitting or taking a break from a game they once enjoyed

Did any of this have to happen - no

Will it get worse before it gets better - ask WG

Edited by Commander_367

[KNMSU]
Members
4,676 posts
5,097 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

I feel sorry for Mr. Octavian [edited]

I also feel sorry for the numbers of players that have quit, professed to quit or are thinking about quitting or taking a break from a game they once enjoyed

I understand that the intent here is to be positive, but, at the same time, I feel like it's an exceedingly passive-aggressive way to attempt to strip people of the ability to be - justifiably - critical of the decisions being made by this design team. They made this bed - them. They knew what they were doing.

That's all I'm going to say. 

• Cool 1
  • Bad 2
  • Angry 1

Alpha Tester
2,161 posts

I'm sorry to see him go. God forbid he is replaced by someone like SerB, who doesn't care about complaints and responds to feedback (even constructive ones) with troll answers. The WoWS community has become as rotten as WoT.

Developers
5 posts

Just to clarify, because you guys are writing about Phil as if he quit his job. This is not the case.

He is just taking time away from the salt mines of Reddit and the community in general. Some are also under the impression that communicating with the community is his only job - this is also not the case. He is a producer, has a team to lead and many tasks that are invisible to the average Joe Cmdr - all connected with making the game better for everyone (on average, you sealclubbing GC owners). 

So don't make this an obituary - he'll be back eventually.

Best,

• Cool 16

[TBW]
Members
6,960 posts
12,885 battles

Some people think that they can say whatever they want because it's the internet and then sheeple all jump on the wagon. This is why I don't do social media, it's bad enough on this forum. Take a break from all of this Sub_Octavian, there is no reason to let unintelligent people (and apparently there are a lot of them) get you down.

• Cool 2

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,119 posts
4,337 battles
3 minutes ago, Battleship_AndreaDoria said:

I understand that the intent here is to be positive, but, at the same time, I feel like it's an exceedingly passive-aggressive way to attempt to strip people of the ability to be - justifiably - critical of the decisions being made by this design team. They made this bed - them. They knew what they were doing.

That's all I'm going to say. 

Yelling the same things at the devs over and over again isn't going to get the timetable of changes sped up to "now", and it's not going to get them to instantly change course and just as instantly respond. Yeah, the update is a mess, that they're working to fix. People need to chill and tone back the bile because it's not some nebulous entity called "the developers" that they're yelling at, it's another person whose job involves acting as the intermediary between the two.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
938 posts
4,411 battles
3 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

I feel sorry for Mr. Octavian [edited]

No politics please.

I do agree with you that Sub_Octavian has a really [edited] job being the face of WG right now.  Some folks become absolute [edited] when they are anonymous.

Here's to hoping all will be well with him AND WG.

[KNMSU]
Members
4,676 posts
5,097 battles
2 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Yelling the same things at the devs over and over again isn't going to get the timetable of changes sped up to "now", and it's not going to get them to instantly change course and just as instantly respond. Yeah, the update is a mess, that they're working to fix. People need to chill and tone back the bile because it's not some nebulous entity called "the developers" that they're yelling at, it's another person whose job involves acting as the intermediary between the two.

First of all, I have never in my life posted on Reddit - so I am not even remotely culpable.

Second, the GC announced nerf could be reversed by a similar single announcement - that's all they would need to do to shut half the forums up at this point. One little "yeah, sorry, we see your point, nevermind." 

So while, yes, I do have faith that the carrier thing will eventually be rectified, and - no - I don't think it will happen immediately... the GC thing is a "looming disaster" entirely of their own making that could literally just 'go away.'

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Angry 1