You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Eugenie_101

Are CVs fireproof?

34 comments in this topic

[WOSV]
Members
468 posts
2,735 battles

Depends. Anything except Tier X CV have wood flight decks. Midway, Hakuryu, and Audacious have armored steel flight decks. I've bombed and rocketed Hakuryu's with Midway and done absolutely nothing. Armored flight decks work, apparently. 

Members
677 posts
5,656 battles
Just now, Slimeball91 said:

I said best air defense in the game, without spec'ing into AA at all.  CVs are almost completely immune to sniping.

Let's see, Midway and Hak have 80% and 84% survival rates last I checked and the best ships in the game are lucky to have half that for their survival rate.  I'll have to say you couldn't be more wrong about training wheels.  

It doesn't matter how many games I've played in CVs.  I understand they were made forgiving at the expense of all other ships.  And I've played more than one game.  In the RTS system I've only played one game in randoms, more in co-op.  I've a lot more RTS CVs in on PTS since it didn't matter how good I was or wasn't.  I've also played every round of TST and PTS for the reworked carriers.  I understand more then you think.

So you played one game in the old system against players at t4. The rest in coop.

Sorry, but have you played an entire line from 4-10 pre rework against random opponents?

Have you played any of the reworked carriers?

No. You have an extremely limited perception on an outdated system, using exclusively the appetizer ship.

Let's break down AA defense since you're so adamant on how op it is for CV compared to the other classes.

Let's use t10 midway and t10 Montana. Two fairly large ships from the same nation using very similar AA mountings. Both have a large number of 20mm, 40mm, and 5"54 mounts.

Midway:

Short- 1143 constant

Mid- 12 flak bursts, 980 in flak, 686 constant

Long- 9 flak bursts, 1610 in flak, 354 constant

Montana:

Short- 1030 constant

Mid- 12 flak bursts, 1050 in flak, 720 constant

Long- 8 flak bursts, 1680 in flak, 283 constant

Montana can also choose to run the AA gun mod1 for +2 mid and long range flak without sacrificing too much. That, alongside a 4 point AA skill of preference, means montana can remain potent with minimal investment, even buffing secondaries with a skill like AFT. Montana can reinforce sectors as desired, manage dcp to their needs, maneuver freely, and make devastating ap strikes every 30 seconds.

Midway would be giving up concealment or sight stabilization, or a 1 point and 3 point that would further debuff the planes and lower the efficiency. Midway gains very little from AFT or manual AA as you will not be reinforcing sectors that often. Midway has an automatic damage control (dcp one fire thanks wg), cannot freely maneuver unless you fully abandon your squad, and relies on attack squads which can be shot down to make an attack every 1 to 2 minutes.

So looking at those incredibly similar numbers, it would appear that your [edited] claim of "ceevee op flak nerf thx" is completely baseless and devoid of any actual experience or knowledge of the class.

Unless you'd like to suggest any more false claims without merit I think we're done on this one. Have a nice day.

[BBMOD]
[BBMOD]
Members
49 posts
3,175 battles
27 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

So you're good with having no CV because it got sniped while the enemy has a CV to slowly whittle down your team without any opposition whatsoever?

You said that, not me, remember that.

I'm just as likely to be on the team sniping vs the team that got sniped. 

So yeah, I'm very much ok with that. Better they lose their "forcefield". 

As it is CV's can't effectively oppose other CV's anymore. No more air superiority fighters. Buffed AA. Invulnerable to fire.

Used to love driving them, but beginning with the taking away of air group customization from American CV's up til now, WG has completely destroyed carriers for me. 

[DANKY]
Members
722 posts
2,066 battles
26 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

First of all you don't "bounce" HE rounds, you shatter them. Aside from, off the bat, expressing how little you seem to know about game mechanics, midway and hakuryuu sport armored decks. You will shatter on this deck with most non BB HE.

The sides, superstructure, and bow/stern are still able to be penned by HE, the side by AP. I suggest you get better at aiming and stop relying on a crutch like fire damage to kill a big target.

Alternatively maybe you should stop hunting CVs with regenerating planes until later in the game when you can have a force to help protect you.

Spare me.  You can pen the side of TX CVs with HE, as long as they're broadside, in which case you should be shooting AP.  When the CV angles, like in the replay, you get occasional HE pens for junk damage and very few AP pens.  The superstructure is only a viable target if you are very close or he's side-on, in which case why are you shooting the superstructure?  Again, based on plenty of experience and a replay that I posted, a DD in a stern chase without fires can only kill the CV if he has all day and the CV has criminally inattentive teammates. 

[SBS]
Members
3,471 posts
2,408 battles
14 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Let's break down AA defense since you're so adamant on how op it is for CV compared to the other classes.

Let's break this down, CVs are almost completely immune to air attack, fact.  T10 CVs have 80 and 84% survival rates, while other ships are lucky to have half that, fact.  You can try to discredit me, and move the goal posts all you want.  We are discussing CVs having been given a very favorable balance all to stack the deck in their favor. 

Members
677 posts
5,656 battles
12 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Let's break this down, CVs are almost completely immune to air attack, fact.  T10 CVs have 80 and 84% survival rates, while other ships are lucky to have half that, fact.  You can try to discredit me, and move the goal posts all you want.  We are discussing CVs having been given a very favorable balance all to stack the deck in their favor. 

CV planes don't do that much damage to other carriers, it isn't the air defense, it's the planes.

Now stop trying to throw your uninformed opinion around like it matters.

[NWNG]
Members
2,625 posts
4,530 battles
14 hours ago, Taichunger said:

They can't be detonated because WG doesn't want them to detonate. If they could be detonated, they couldn't carry out their cancer damage function and WG couldn't meet its cancer damage budget. 

They can't be detonated, because of their lack of Main batteries. Main Batteries have large magazines that can take damage. Too much damage, and boom detonation. For them to make it possible for CVs to detonate, they would make it far easier to detonate ships like cruisers and battleships, because the only thing left, would be to give magazines to secondary armament. With the ease in which a destroyer can take out a battleship's secondary armament, it won't take long for the battleship to experience magazine detonation, if those secondary armaments had magazines.

Because that would completely throw off the balance, secondary armaments do not have magazines. This applies to AA armament as well.

Understand the reason behind something, before making a baseless claim like that.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,340 posts
11,284 battles
7 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Understand the reason behind something, before making a baseless claim like that. 

That makes no sense at all.

The game is Wargamings, they can do whatever the heck they like with it. The way the detonation mechanic works right now is that ships have internal hit boxes labeled 'powder magazine' which, if struck and reduced to zero HP plus some RNG etc. etc. produce a detonation. Those hit boxes predominantly line up with the historic magazine locations for the main battery it's true.

WG could effortlessly add such boxes and mechanics to carriers if they so wished. There is no reason at all they'd need to do anything for a secondary battery magazine period.

If they wanted a historic justification, well if battleships needed somewhere to store their shells and powder, so to did carriers need somewhere to store all the bombs, torpedoes, rockets and depth charges for their planes.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,537 posts
27,167 battles
1 hour ago, Counter_Gambit said:

They can't be detonated, because of their lack of Main batteries. Main Batteries have large magazines that can take damage. Too much damage, and boom detonation. For them to make it possible for CVs to detonate, they would make it far easier to detonate ships like cruisers and battleships, because the only thing left, would be to give magazines to secondary armament. With the ease in which a destroyer can take out a battleship's secondary armament, it won't take long for the battleship to experience magazine detonation, if those secondary armaments had magazines.

Because that would completely throw off the balance, secondary armaments do not have magazines. This applies to AA armament as well.

They used to be able to detonate, though. So something is wrong with your logic, eh? 

And for them to make CVs able to detonate would not be a problem. Our CVs are software programs.