You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Eugenie_101

Are CVs fireproof?

34 comments in this topic

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,940 battles

Can someone tell me whether WG made CVs immune to fire in the latest patch?  In the attached replay I put a few hundred HE shells into an Audacious and set nine fires (starts at about 13:20), but none of the fires take.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Is this intended or is it a bug with certain CVs?  Thanks. 

https://replayswows.com/replay/41900#stats

[NOBS]
Members
1,018 posts
7,532 battles
2 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Can someone tell me whether WG made CVs immune to fire in the latest patch?  In the attached replay I put a few hundred HE shells into an Audacious and set nine fires (starts at about 13:20), but none of the fires take.  Does this happen to anyone else?  Is this intended or is it a bug with certain CVs?  Thanks. 

Unlike BB's, cv's have fireproof steel. 

Even though a CV has way more flammable materials on deck then a BB 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

I've not watched your replay, but carriers now get a 5s fire duration, so if you were setting them they might not tick for much individual damage at all.

Given the armored deck on a couple of them shatters all the HE you can muster, I'd recommend... your 6km torpedoes in a stern chase. 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,541 posts
13,430 battles

Carriers have a DCP that instantly autotriggers as soon as any status effect is on the carrier, and lasts 60 seconds. On top of that, the base fire duration is only 5 seconds, so that's the longest one would burn from a single fire.

• Cool 1

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,940 battles
7 minutes ago, mofton said:

I've not watched your replay, but carriers now get a 5s fire duration, so if you were setting them they might not tick for much individual damage at all.

Given the armored deck on a couple of them shatters all the HE you can muster, I'd recommend... your 6km torpedoes in a stern chase. 

You're kidding.  That's the first I heard of that particular detail.  I guess that's my cue, maybe I'll see you all in a couple patches. 

[RLGN]
Members
9,392 posts
18,778 battles
1 minute ago, Eugenie_101 said:

You're kidding.  That's the first I heard of that particular detail.  I guess that's my cue, maybe I'll see you all in a couple patches. 

Blame the stupidity of WG calling us too stupid to be able to run our planes and carriers at the same time. They had to make carriers as safe as possible so carrier drivers won’t be ‘distracted.’

[BBMOD]
[BBMOD]
Members
49 posts
3,175 battles
17 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Carriers have a DCP that instantly autotriggers as soon as any status effect is on the carrier, and lasts 60 seconds. On top of that, the base fire duration is only 5 seconds, so that's the longest one would burn from a single fire.

*sigh* this hot garbage that is 0.8.0 just gets better and better...

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles
27 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

....can't be detonated. Have the best AA in the game. 

*sigh*

• Bad 1

[KAPPA]
Members
438 posts
5,109 battles
1 minute ago, Taichunger said:

*sigh*

They can't be detonated because they have no main batteries to detonate. If CVs could detonate, all of us could be detonated by all those 0 damage pens to a secondary battery people see.

• Bad 1

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles
2 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

*sigh*

I thought you of all people would have uninstalled and deleted your forum account after the 0.8.0 release...

What's wrong? Don't actually want to go, or just here to complain more?

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles
Just now, The_Painted_Target said:

I thought you of all people would have uninstalled and deleted your forum account after the 0.8.0 release...

What's wrong? Don't actually want to go, or just here to complain more?

Why would I delete? There's coop, Ranked, and operations, and I belong to a good clan and have many friends in game. 

I am just waiting for the meta to settle to determine whether I will return to Randoms. Hoping that the situations returns to before 0.8.0 when CVs were a tolerably low presence and games were far more enjoyable. 

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles

Why would I delete? There's coop, Ranked, and operations, and I belong to a good clan and have many friends in game. 

I am just waiting for the meta to settle to determine whether I will return to Randoms. Hoping that the situations returns to before 0.8.0 when CVs were a tolerably low presence and games were far more enjoyable. 

Well I hope you truly enjoy coop, cause after ranked you've got an upcoming Royal Navy carrier line.

I hear Musashi is pretty good in ranked / coop :Smile_child:

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles
5 minutes ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

They can't be detonated because they have no main batteries to detonate. If CVs could detonate, all of us could be detonated by all those 0 damage pens to a secondary battery people see.

They can't be detonated because WG doesn't want them to detonate. If they could be detonated, they couldn't carry out their cancer damage function and WG couldn't meet its cancer damage budget. 

[INTEL]
Members
9,253 posts
26,921 battles
1 minute ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Well I hope you truly enjoy coop, cause after ranked you've got an upcoming Royal Navy carrier line.

I hear Musashi is pretty good in ranked / coop :Smile_child:

I like coop. Playing Yug in Ranked, doing well and enjoying the CV-free atmosphere. Surprisingly, there isn't as much radar as I feared, meaning that the game hinges on good DD play. Very enjoyable.

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles
56 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Carriers have a 60s automatic DCP and the fires only last around ~10s or less.

[KAPPA]
Members
438 posts
5,109 battles

They can't be detonated because WG doesn't want them to detonate. If they could be detonated, they couldn't carry out their cancer damage function and WG couldn't meet its cancer damage budget. 

Most CVs still wouldn't detonate, as that actually requires taking damage.

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,940 battles
10 hours ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Carriers have a 60s automatic DCP and the fires only last around ~10s or less.

Yeah, [edited] that noise.  Some untouchable burns my team down from the A line, and then I finally catch up to the guy and my main form of damage is useless?  Because fire might crimp his fun?  That's enough, I'm out.  World of Carriers can bite me. 

Edited by Eugenie_101

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles
2 hours ago, Eugenie_101 said:

Yeah, [edited] that noise.  Some untouchable burns my team down from the A line, and then I finally catch up to the guy and my main form of damage is useless?  Because fire might crimp his fun?  That's enough, I'm out.  World of Carriers can bite me. 

You do realize you can shoot them almost anywhere for full damage right?

The DoT changes are to stop carriers from sniping each other at the start of the match. Ship based DoT was rarely a valid method of killing a carrier.

[BBMOD]
[BBMOD]
Members
49 posts
3,175 battles
8 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

The DoT changes are to stop carriers from sniping each other at the start of the match.

I'm not seeing the problem there. That's like the garbage taking itself out. 

• Funny 1

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
14 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

The DoT changes are to stop carriers from sniping each other at the start of the match. Ship based DoT was rarely a valid method of killing a carrier.

No.  CVs have the best air defense in the game (without spec'ing into AA at all) and that prevents CV sniping.  There is no need for reduced fire and flood duration.  This is just WG stacking the deck in favor of CV being played more.  Making them ships with training permanently attached is WG's goal.  Or, we could just say its cheating the other players that don't be such luxuries.  But hey, go ahead and defend it. 

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,940 battles
14 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

You must be thinking of Lexington.  TX CVs have enough armor to bounce HE rounds, and if WG respects historical 'flavor' the British CVs should have very good armor.  Look, I have killed Midways and Hakus post-8.0, but always by catching them broadside with AP.  In the game I linked you can see me trying out different rounds and targeting different parts of the Audacious, with very little progress made.  The best I could do was HE for ~300 HP every few hits.  That's great if you have all day to plink away like I did, but in most games you're dead before he even feels it.  The upshot is that without fires, DDs can't do a damn thing against CVs in a stern chase.  Maybe he would have let me roll up on his broadside if I asked nicely. 

[_-_]
Members
1,574 posts
17 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

This is just WG stacking the deck in favor of CV being played more. 

Bingo. That's the plan, comrade.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles
7 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

You must be thinking of Lexington.  TX CVs have enough armor to bounce HE rounds, and if WG respects historical 'flavor' the British CVs should have very good armor.

The Implacable and Indomitable have better deck armor than the others, a sheet of 76mm in the central part, surrounded by an area of 38mm, then a mix of 19/21mm at the extremities on top, a similar pattern to Audacious.

The Audacious has... worse deck armor than Midway/Hakuryu:

KXSks18g.png

But still, significant protection against most HE. Sadly WG have bothered to model Audacious correctly, so she has significantly worse protection than the Hak/Midway, which should have similarly incomplete deck armor schemes, especially at the extremities.

Members
651 posts
5,656 battles
27 minutes ago, RicketyEdge said:

I'm not seeing the problem there. That's like the garbage taking itself out. 

So you're good with having no CV because it got sniped while the enemy has a CV to slowly whittle down your team without any opposition whatsoever?

You said that, not me, remember that.

17 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

No.  CVs have the best air defense in the game (without spec'ing into AA at all) and that prevents CV sniping.  There is no need for reduced fire and flood duration.  This is just WG stacking the deck in favor of CV being played more.  Making them ships with training permanently attached is WG's goal.  Or, we could just say its cheating the other players that don't be such luxuries.  But hey, go ahead and defend it. 

They dont, no defensive fire. Cannot select sectors while away from the carrier. The only reason the AA is good is because of the 10 minute fighter consumable with massive DPS. Otherwise CV AA is about the same, if not worse, as your average battleship.

Anyone with eyes is welcome to check this, but most of the forum seems to lack a brain so it might not mean much anyways.

Speaking of training wheels, overmatch for bbs, forgiving armor and a heal at all tiers, most HP, highest alpha guns every 30 seconds, DoT nerfs. For cruisers, HE spam is always effective, radar buffs, AA immunity zones, ifhe, great concealment. DDs get AP exception in the rules.

WG has been putting training wheels on warships for bad players since the games release. Just now you're going to moan about it because it's a ship class you have played EXACTLY ONE TIME and never again?

And you wonder why WG puts training wheels on ships. It's for players like you.

11 minutes ago, Eugenie_101 said:

You must be thinking of Lexington.  TX CVs have enough armor to bounce HE rounds, and if WG respects historical 'flavor' the British CVs should have very good armor.  Look, I have killed Midways and Hakus post-8.0, but always by catching them broadside with AP.  In the game I linked you can see me trying out different rounds and targeting different parts of the Audacious, with very little progress made.  The best I could do was HE for ~300 HP every few hits.  That's great if you have all day to plink away like I did, but in most games you're dead before he even feels it.  The upshot is that without fires, DDs can't do a damn thing against CVs in a stern chase.  Maybe he would have let me roll up on his broadside if I asked nicely. 

First of all you don't "bounce" HE rounds, you shatter them. Aside from, off the bat, expressing how little you seem to know about game mechanics, midway and hakuryuu sport armored decks. You will shatter on this deck with most non BB HE.

The sides, superstructure, and bow/stern are still able to be penned by HE, the side by AP. I suggest you get better at aiming and stop relying on a crutch like fire damage to kill a big target.

Alternatively maybe you should stop hunting CVs with regenerating planes until later in the game when you can have a force to help protect you.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
1 minute ago, The_Painted_Target said:

They dont, no defensive fire. Cannot select sectors while away from the carrier. The only reason the AA is good is because of the 10 minute fighter consumable with massive DPS. Otherwise CV AA is about the same, if not worse, as your average battleship.

I said best air defense in the game, without spec'ing into AA at all.  CVs are almost completely immune to sniping.

3 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

Speaking of training wheels, overmatch for bbs, forgiving armor and a heal at all tiers, most HP, highest alpha guns every 30 seconds, DoT nerfs. For cruisers, HE spam is always effective, radar buffs, AA immunity zones, ifhe, great concealment. DDs get AP exception in the rules.

Let's see, Midway and Hak have 80% and 84% survival rates last I checked and the best ships in the game are lucky to have half that for their survival rate.  I'll have to say you couldn't be more wrong about training wheels.  

It doesn't matter how many games I've played in CVs.  I understand they were made forgiving at the expense of all other ships.  And I've played more than one game.  In the RTS system I've only played one game in randoms, more in co-op.  I've a lot more RTS CVs in on PTS since it didn't matter how good I was or wasn't.  I've also played every round of TST and PTS for the reworked carriers.  I understand more then you think.