You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TL_Warlord_Roff

The Way of Warships... living with change

9 comments in this topic

[HEROS]
Members
1,499 posts
12,750 battles

Intro Preamble:

And I do mean "Amble"  If your find you must comment is TLDR.. then all you are is informing me of is that you choose to be uninformed, ignorant, and manipulable.  And a bit of a snot.  I don't really didn't need to know that about you so please don't.  It's such a pleasant mental image.  Ignorance can be cured.  Stupid how ever tends to go right to the bone.   I'm not playing with bones today.

This is not a cry baby post.  Perhaps once upon a time might I may have invested that level of emotion into a commercial gaming product but it's been a while and it's a lesson long learned and I'll never do it again.  It's a waste of time and energy better spent actually getting improvement into your self and your life.   In the end this is just another  computer game.   A recreational product.    An opportunity to have a virtual fight with something smarter then the level of AI that can be  programmed to run efficiently on current server and CPU architecture.  Which even in the best single player games isn't really all that impressive when you get right down to it.  Tremendous strides have been made in the last 30 years but the amount of computer horsepower and creative programming it takes to have a truly competent challenging AI opponent is staggering and well outside the budget and capability of even a company like Wargaming.  Of course the first studio/distributor that figures out how to pull THAT off is either going to become awe inspiringly wealthy or be filing for bankruptcy and dissolution due to to failed implementation with in their business model.  (Translation:  They screwed it up!)

World of Warships:

We drive ships.  The ships come in many flavors and variations.  Some are really big.  Some are really small.  Some are really fast.  Some not so much.  Some are tough because they have heavy armor, well angled and a deep damage well.  Others are nimble, small, fast.   They all have teeth. Some have really big obvious teeth, some have sneaky teeth that you don't see coming.  Other have teeth like a tsunami in shallow water.. You can see it coming and there is no dodging!  They all operate a little differently..Even identical ships will perform differently depending on how they are set up, the commander skills selected, and the player operating them.  There is no "equal".   There is how ever equivalency.   Hats off to the devs.  Not to shabby a job for a bunch of math heads and geeks. 

Skill matters.  Player knowledge matters. Ability to problem solve matters.  Ability to see a larger picture around you then just YOUR ship matters a very great deal if a tossed together bunch of players are going to be able to yank a win out against another group of players.  Awareness Is EVERYTHING in this particular game.  if you don't have it, Learn it, exercise it, practice it.  Your just going to be an entry on someone else's score board elsewise.   

The NOW:

The new CV system was rolled out on live this last week.  The Dev team simply could NOT get the data points they needed on the test server to get equivalency happening. I saw that one coming when the CV rework was first announced.  There was no way with as small a population as the test server typically has that they were going to get the data points they needed.   3 DAYS of live play and the devs were posting "Hot Fix Coming!" because they'd gotten far MORE information in those 3 days then they had gotten in 3 WEEKS on the test server.  And this will be only the first fix.   There is more fine tuning inbound, but that take a few weeks.   Those of you that complain "why didn't they figure this out during the testing.. they're incompetent..." etc etc etc have absolutely utterly no clue about how things work..   and how work gets done.  These types need to either be kept aways from sharp object and mentally trying situations and anything remotely resembling leadership and responsibility. Or allowed and encouraged to experience a darwinian solution as soon as possible for the sake of the greater good.  Kinda sad really.  But it's nothing new under the sun and it's been delt with by human society since long before Sargon the Great.  That may seem harsh, but my experience after 60 year walking the earth is once humans get locked into a way of doing and thinking it's real difficult to change that.   And there is no forcing change without being able to use "tools" that are....proscribed.. and even those tools are not always that effective.   Imposed solutions always have some issues.   But don't take my word for it.   Go check the history section of your local library.   The proof is there.

Me Stuff:

So, I mostly play DD's.  I can play Battleships and cruisers  and I'm not bad at them and will often score better in my somewhat offensive minded play style then the fellows who refuse to take risks and refuse to even consider getting stuck until 5 or more minutes after a match starts.   Was that a criticism?  You bet it is.  There is a think in military tactics and planing refereed to as "Taking the Initiative".  This is to say taking control of the time and place of battle.  You can't always pull it off, but if you can it tends to mean victory.  But if you never try, failure is the most likely outcome.  Proactive counts way more in this game then in passive which amounts to inactive.   If you need an invitation to participate then let me extend to you full Carte Blanch to do.  This is not as assignment of a leader ship role because other then formal organized play that just does not happen.   This is just a request to do your part a little more..ummmm "Pro-Actively"

With that in mind let me provide you with an example.   If I'm in a BB or cruiser I stay with the DD in front of me as best I can.  If the DD heads for the enemy cap I head to the enemy cap with them and will do my level best to stay in CLOSE supporting range even at risk to myself.  There is a reason and goal here and that is to cause the opposition  to have a big imposing impossible to ignore capital ship attracting their attention away from the DD, because that's my job.  To assist and allow him (or her!) to do their job for the match.  I will use my armor, my HP Pool, my ability to self heal damage (if I have it)  to stay stuck in as long as can be managed.  Survival is important but a secondary and often times a distant consideration.  Saving your self but loosing the match is a loss.  You die, you go to port, you print a new ship and dive into the next match.   World of warships is a lot of fun, but.. it's not a wargame.  Far to shallow in scope which is one of the reasons I pay so very little attention to player statistics.  The only factoid of note is how well you will play for the next 20 minutes.  I don't do soothsayers no matter how well informed they are because in the end they're still just reading tea leaves and offering space filling commentary.  And yes I do realize that some folks get paid to do such things.   If you want to parse specific tactics and how to implement them I'll be happy to, but not on this post of any follow up.

World of Warships could be war game of amazing depth, but most of you really would not like it.  The very best "war" game with a shocking lead over the next closest competition is called Eve Online, and it's not for the faint of heart.  It's also taken it a couple decades to get to where it is now.   In a war game survival is important  because there will be another fight. Because your life, your ship is an asset.  Because war games have consequences for loosing.    That's what marks world of warships as an arcade style combat game.  The only consequence of death in this game is it MIGHT slow down your progression to upper tier play.  You most certainly can fail your way to tier X.  Many have. (*sigh*).  This sort of thing is part and parcel of MMO's, which this is.

The Clubs:  (and the real meat of the matter)

Labeling pigeon holing and scapegoating.  We sure see a lot of it around here.    There are persons who do this sort of thing just because they can and NO ONE will call them on it, or hold them in any way responsible for it.  And even if they do your just a screen name and an email address.  You can be banned and kicked today and be back an hour later.  It'll be a different account but the you is the same you.  Over the years I have seen persons do all they can to mess up associations of gamers.  They do it because it allows them the illusion that that have some sort of "power".    We see it here all the time.. Someone gets called on their crap.. get kicked/banned.  They sneak back under another name.  They self moderate only to the level needed to avoid getting banned again and make every effort from then on to monkey wrench and fun kill within the community.   I guess it's because they're,  ya know "special".. at least they obviously seem to think so.   If they would put that level of energy and drive into something that actually improves their condition in life they would all be far happier folks then coming on to these forums and being jerks. 

World of Warships is not YOUR socio/political lab experiment.  Or anyone else's for that matter.  It's a multi player computer game with a like it or not a COMMUNITY of players.    Created by a bunch of highly technically competent folk, and operated as a for profit business with the assistance of other highly competent technical folk in fields of knowledge other then making computer games.   And some how these folks have figured how to get paid for their time and effort with a Free To Play MMO.  Not to shabby!   No one is going to MAKE you be part of the community other then your self.  But if you play the game you are part of the community by default.  The only choice you have is your level of participation or non participation.   If ya can't be pro-active in something resembling a positive sort of way you might want to please self limit your participation.

It's easy to be a critic.  It's a little harder to be an entertaining critic but it can be done.  And it's beyond phenomenally rare to find a person who can actually make a living being a critic.  (I am not one of them.  Not really.  I'm way to technically oriented.) In the vast scheme of human interaction and career choice critics are not what one could call well paid.   In spite of all the evidence that notes just how difficult it is to be a successful critic there seems to be a great many people who think they have the chops to pull it off.  All I can say to them is don't give up your day job any time soon.   And for heavens sake stop trying to make your rep with a computer game.  Small audience!  Small exposure.  Less potential pay.  Feel free to ask anyone running a You Tube channel for profit around this hobby.  Other then say The Mighty Jingles, and even he took a chop in pay because other folks in a position to impose their own will  decided that they should get more money instead of allowing the person actually creating the content to make money... Bloody parasites.  And they wonder why so many of us do not give them the respect they think they have so richly earned.  Cute, especially when they're not the ones doing anything creative.    

Oh, and "Critics" they really know their stuff are not called critics.. They tend to be known as "Technical Consultants" and the like.  As a rule tend to pull down a rather nice paycheck. 

I do not claim to be a critic, but I can be one.  

So let me wrap this up because I have been staring at this screen for the several hours with way to many interruptions and far to many edits and changes.  If it were not personally important to ME, I wouldn't have bothered,  but it is.  I have people I like hanging out with in game and in voice chat who I enjoy at a personal level interacting with and being in the company of.  A small minority of them of 'em can be wrapped a little to tightly at times but they all have one thing in common.. 

They have a passion for this game. 

They are not only players, they are "fans",  with all that can mean *rolls eyes at ceiling*.  ALL that can mean.  And they are effected at a personal level as am I by what happens around this game.  It can be  frustrating.  I am far from alone in this so please please please be self responsible for what you say on the forums.  I does matter.

And in the words of the Great and mighty Bill and Ted

"Be Excellent To Each Other!"

Warlord Sends.

P.S., as for the freak'n CV rework..we'll get there.  If you don't feel like watching the process then take a break. No no, don't go play other games.  But I'm sure there's yard work, maybe some house painting, some home project you've been putting off for at least 10 years needs doing.  Give it a go.  We'll be here when your done.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[S-N-D]
Members
2,067 posts
6,134 battles

TLDR. Got bored near the end of the preamble.

Members
615 posts
12,822 battles

your post is condescending.

If you want to win a point you need to speak to people like they have the intelligence to understand what you are saying.

You were talking down to people.

You also seemed terribly impressed by your own turn of a phrase.

You lost me with the preamble.

[PQUOD]
Members
1,076 posts
7,714 battles
19 minutes ago, TL_Warlord_Roff said:

Intro Preamble:

And I do mean "Amble"  If your find you must comment is TLDR.. then all you are is informing me of is that you choose to be uninformed, ignorant, and manipulable.  And a bit of a snot.  I don't really didn't need to know that about you so please don't.  It's such a pleasant mental image.  Ignorance can be cured.  Stupid how ever tends to go right to the bone.   I'm not playing with bones today.

This is not a cry baby post.  Perhaps once upon a time might I may have invested that level of emotion into a commercial gaming product but it's been a while and it's a lesson long learned and I'll never do it again.  It's a waste of time and energy better spent actually getting improvement into your self and your life.   In the end this is just another  computer game.   A recreational product.    An opportunity to have a virtual fight with something smarter then the level of AI that can be  programmed to run efficiently on current server and CPU architecture.  Which even in the best single player games isn't really all that impressive when you get right down to it.  Tremendous strides have been made in the last 30 years but the amount of computer horsepower and creative programming it takes to have a truly competent challenging AI opponent is staggering and well outside the budget and capability of even a company like Wargaming.  Of course the first studio/distributor that figures out how to pull THAT off is either going to become awe inspiringly wealthy or be filing for bankruptcy and dissolution due to to failed implementation with in their business model.  (Translation:  They screwed it up!)

World of Warships:

We drive ships.  The ships come in many flavors and variations.  Some are really big.  Some are really small.  Some are really fast.  Some not so much.  Some are tough because they have heavy armor, well angled and a deep damage well.  Others are nimble, small, fast.   They all have teeth. Some have really big obvious teeth, some have sneaky teeth that you don't see coming.  Other have teeth like a tsunami in shallow water.. You can see it coming and there is no dodging!  They all operate a little differently..Even identical ships will perform differently depending on how they are set up, the commander skills selected, and the player operating them.  There is no "equal".   There is how ever equivalency.   Hats off to the devs.  Not to shabby a job for a bunch of math heads and geeks. 

Skill matters.  Player knowledge matters. Ability to problem solve matters.  Ability to see a larger picture around you then just YOUR ship matters a very great deal if a tossed together bunch of players are going to be able to yank a win out against another group of players.  Awareness Is EVERYTHING in this particular game.  if you don't have it, Learn it, exercise it, practice it.  Your just going to be an entry on someone else's score board elsewise.   

The NOW:

The new CV system was rolled out on live this last week.  The Dev team simply could NOT get the data points they needed on the test server to get equivalency happening. I saw that one coming when the CV rework was first announced.  There was no way with as small a population as the test server typically has that they were going to get the data points they needed.   3 DAYS of live play and the devs were posting "Hot Fix Coming!" because they'd gotten far MORE information in those 3 days then they had gotten in 3 WEEKS on the test server.  And this will be only the first fix.   There is more fine tuning inbound, but that take a few weeks.   Those of you that complain "why didn't they figure this out during the testing.. they're incompetent..." etc etc etc have absolutely utterly no clue about how things work..   and how work gets done.  These types need to either be kept aways from sharp object and mentally trying situations and anything remotely resembling leadership and responsibility. Or allowed and encouraged to experience a darwinian solution as soon as possible for the sake of the greater good.  Kinda sad really.  But it's nothing new under the sun and it's been delt with by human society since long before Sargon the Great.  That may seem harsh, but my experience after 60 year walking the earth is once humans get locked into a way of doing and thinking it's real difficult to change that.   And there is no forcing change without being able to use "tools" that are....proscribed.. and even those tools are not always that effective.   Imposed solutions always have some issues.   But don't take my word for it.   Go check the history section of your local library.   The proof is there.

Me Stuff:

So, I mostly play DD's.  I can play Battleships and cruisers  and I'm not bad at them and will often score better in my somewhat offensive minded play style then the fellows who refuse to take risks and refuse to even consider getting stuck until 5 or more minutes after a match starts.   Was that a criticism?  You bet it is.  There is a think in military tactics and planing refereed to as "Taking the Initiative".  This is to say taking control of the time and place of battle.  You can't always pull it off, but if you can it tends to mean victory.  But if you never try, failure is the most likely outcome.  Proactive counts way more in this game then in passive which amounts to inactive.   If you need an invitation to participate then let me extend to you full Carte Blanch to do.  This is not as assignment of a leader ship role because other then formal organized play that just does not happen.   This is just a request to do your part a little more..ummmm "Pro-Actively"

With that in mind let me provide you with an example.   If I'm in a BB or cruiser I stay with the DD in front of me as best I can.  If the DD heads for the enemy cap I head to the enemy cap with them and will do my level best to stay in CLOSE supporting range even at risk to myself.  There is a reason and goal here and that is to cause the opposition  to have a big imposing impossible to ignore capital ship attracting their attention away from the DD, because that's my job.  To assist and allow him (or her!) to do their job for the match.  I will use my armor, my HP Pool, my ability to self heal damage (if I have it)  to stay stuck in as long as can be managed.  Survival is important but a secondary and often times a distant consideration.  Saving your self but loosing the match is a loss.  You die, you go to port, you print a new ship and dive into the next match.   World of warships is a lot of fun, but.. it's not a wargame.  Far to shallow in scope which is one of the reasons I pay so very little attention to player statistics.  The only factoid of note is how well you will play for the next 20 minutes.  I don't do soothsayers no matter how well informed they are because in the end they're still just reading tea leaves and offering space filling commentary.  And yes I do realize that some folks get paid to do such things.   If you want to parse specific tactics and how to implement them I'll be happy to, but not on this post of any follow up.

World of Warships could be war game of amazing depth, but most of you really would not like it.  The very best "war" game with a shocking lead over the next closest competition is called Eve Online, and it's not for the faint of heart.  It's also taken it a couple decades to get to where it is now.   In a war game survival is important  because there will be another fight. Because your life, your ship is an asset.  Because war games have consequences for loosing.    That's what marks world of warships as an arcade style combat game.  The only consequence of death in this game is it MIGHT slow down your progression to upper tier play.  You most certainly can fail your way to tier X.  Many have. (*sigh*).  This sort of thing is part and parcel of MMO's, which this is.

The Clubs:  (and the real meat of the matter)

Labeling pigeon holing and scapegoating.  We sure see a lot of it around here.    There are persons who do this sort of thing just because they can and NO ONE will call them on it, or hold them in any way responsible for it.  And even if they do your just a screen name and an email address.  You can be banned and kicked today and be back an hour later.  It'll be a different account but the you is the same you.  Over the years I have seen persons do all they can to mess up associations of gamers.  They do it because it allows them the illusion that that have some sort of "power".    We see it here all the time.. Someone gets called on their crap.. get kicked/banned.  They sneak back under another name.  They self moderate only to the level needed to avoid getting banned again and make every effort from then on to monkey wrench and fun kill within the community.   I guess it's because they're,  ya know "special".. at least they obviously seem to think so.   If they would put that level of energy and drive into something that actually improves their condition in life they would all be far happier folks then coming on to these forums and being jerks. 

World of Warships is not YOUR socio/political lab experiment.  Or anyone else's for that matter.  It's a multi player computer game with a like it or not a COMMUNITY of players.    Created by a bunch of highly technically competent folk, and operated as a for profit business with the assistance of other highly competent technical folk in fields of knowledge other then making computer games.   And some how these folks have figured how to get paid for their time and effort with a Free To Play MMO.  Not to shabby!   No one is going to MAKE you be part of the community other then your self.  But if you play the game you are part of the community by default.  The only choice you have is your level of participation or non participation.   If ya can't be pro-active in something resembling a positive sort of way you might want to please self limit your participation.

It's easy to be a critic.  It's a little harder to be an entertaining critic but it can be done.  And it's beyond phenomenally rare to find a person who can actually make a living being a critic.  (I am not one of them.  Not really.  I'm way to technically oriented.) In the vast scheme of human interaction and career choice critics are not what one could call well paid.   In spite of all the evidence that notes just how difficult it is to be a successful critic there seems to be a great many people who think they have the chops to pull it off.  All I can say to them is don't give up your day job any time soon.   And for heavens sake stop trying to make your rep with a computer game.  Small audience!  Small exposure.  Less potential pay.  Feel free to ask anyone running a You Tube channel for profit around this hobby.  Other then say The Mighty Jingles, and even he took a chop in pay because other folks in a position to impose their own will  decided that they should get more money instead of allowing the person actually creating the content to make money... Bloody parasites.  And they wonder why so many of us do not give them the respect they think they have so richly earned.  Cute, especially when they're not the ones doing anything creative.    

Oh, and "Critics" they really know their stuff are not called critics.. They tend to be known as "Technical Consultants" and the like.  As a rule tend to pull down a rather nice paycheck. 

I do not claim to be a critic, but I can be one.  

So let me wrap this up because I have been staring at this screen for the several hours with way to many interruptions and far to many edits and changes.  If it were not personally important to ME, I wouldn't have bothered,  but it is.  I have people I like hanging out with in game and in voice chat who I enjoy at a personal level interacting with and being in the company of.  A small minority of them of 'em can be wrapped a little to tightly at times but they all have one thing in common.. 

They have a passion for this game. 

They are not only players, they are "fans",  with all that can mean *rolls eyes at ceiling*.  ALL that can mean.  And they are effected at a personal level as am I by what happens around this game.  It can be  frustrating.  I am far from alone in this so please please please be self responsible for what you say on the forums.  I does matter.

And in the words of the Great and mighty Bill and Ted

"Be Excellent To Each Other!"

Warlord Sends.

P.S., as for the freak'n CV rework..we'll get there.  If you don't feel like watching the process then take a break. No no, don't go play other games.  But I'm sure there's yard work, maybe some house painting, some home project you've been putting off for at least 10 years needs doing.  Give it a go.  We'll be here when your done.

My cat would be doing this while I read this:cat_paw:

[HYDRO]
Members
2,252 posts
4,211 battles

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is a case of "too much is bad". By writing a wall of text instead of making a series of small posts to get your point easier you discourage people from reading it. Not only that, but you sabotage yourself cause some of the points you make have merit. 

I appreciate the effort you have put, but don't expect many people will read through the whole thing.

[XBRTC]
Members
2,350 posts
8,292 battles
48 minutes ago, clammboy said:

Related image

Wall that size, I feel like maybe we should be looking at another country to pay for it.