You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
EasyEight

OK, I change my mind - new CVs are actually fun!

4 comments in this topic

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
166 posts
7,201 battles

OK, my initial grumpiness and surprise has passed and I've been playing CVs more, and starting to get games with 50K-60K damage. Here are my thoughts:

1. Actually, the new CVs are fun. It's a different fun than before, where you're more like an asset manager and planner, sending squadrons here and there, running CAP missions, coordinating your strikes to hammerhead a target and all that. Yes, it's very much like arcade action -- more like the ships. And its fun to zoom your planes around and line up your attack runs.

2. A new learning curve, out with the old. No more CV management gaming, now you need to learn how to conduct your different types of attacks, when, and what targets.

3. CVs mean you're now an opportunistic predator. No more setting up a multi squadron attack, figuring AA vs your planes = so many potential hits. Nope, AA is too nasty. That means you must avoid clusters of ships, AA will kill ya. See a cluster, avoid the temptation to attack unless you have to. Instead go for the straggler, circle around the AA umbrella and attack at a point with least AA density.

4. Unless you're really good, don't try to attack a DD with Dive Bomber, you'll never hit the suckers and then your AP bombs will often do minimal damage. Scout those DDs and attack with Fighters or Torpedo Bombers.

5. Set your autopilot properly. Until they fix it, don't plan super tight turns since your ship will stop and steam backwards. Doh! And if your CV is under attack, hit the "F" key and focus on your CV steering until you can either chart a course away, and/or an attack that lets you nail your threat.

6. I don't see a big difference between US and IJN planes, so for now IJN CVs are superior given their higher speed and higher stealth, which gives you a slight edge in a game.

Anyways, I expect the CVs will get more steady play since it is more like how the rest of the ships play, and there's lots of arcade action to enjoy.

Cheers!

Edited by EasyEight
  • Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[G0ATS]
Members
34 posts
1,401 battles

Yeah, the bad thing about AA is that you have not so much problems when in a T10, but as a T8 CV its a nightmare to play against T10 ships.

And dive bombers need some working in the targeting because they take too much time to land a good drop, which is also hard to target too.

Another thing is the way to control the carrier while piloting the squadron, there should be an option to control the carrier directly withouth recalling the squadron.

[-SYN-]
[-SYN-]
Members
166 posts
7,201 battles
12 minutes ago, Dominator13 said:

Yeah, the bad thing about AA is that you have not so much problems when in a T10, but as a T8 CV its a nightmare to play against T10 ships.

And dive bombers need some working in the targeting because they take too much time to land a good drop, which is also hard to target too.

Another thing is the way to control the carrier while piloting the squadron, there should be an option to control the carrier directly withouth recalling the squadron.

I agree with all those point, seems silly that the only way to take control of your CV is to abandon your squadron and not be able to go back to it. Another point for IJN CVs is that IJN TBs do more damage than US TBs and are easier to hit with, while US DBs do more damage than IJN DBs but they are harder to hit with. Maybe the T8 US fighters with "Tiny Tim" rockets will balance that out. Not there yet.