You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LifePilgrim

Thinking of getting a tier VIII premium BB or two...

71 comments in this topic

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,515 battles

The first choice is the Alabama.

For the second choice it is either the Roma (for its looks not to be competitive) or the Vanguard.

I have the Tirpitz as my sole tier VIII premium battleship.

I read that we could buy Jean Bart in the premium shop but I can't find Jean Bart in the premium shop as she's only available in the Arsenal?

Edited by LifePilgrim

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,445 posts
5,261 battles

I would personally take Roma over Vanguard myself, though it depends what you are looking for.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,219 posts
4,185 battles

Jean Bart was available for something like two weeks when she was released, she is only obtainable through Arsenal.

Regarding the tier VIII choice, what's your playstyle exactly?

[SEOP]
Members
1,474 posts
8,233 battles
3 minutes ago, LifePilgrim said:

For the second choice it is either the Roma (for its looks not to be competitive)...

I'd go with a T5 BB instead.  In fact, I can think of a half way decent Italian boat.  Oh wait, I think maybe its a T6.  Dang I cant remember now.  I do remember that its an Italian BB.     

• Funny 2
  • Bad 3

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,682 posts
6,777 battles

The Alabama is a solid choice, as for the other two, I had the option of getting the Gascogne or the Roma when they were on sale. I picked the Gascogne, I am not a smart man. 

[KP]
Members
220 posts
202 battles
4 minutes ago, LifePilgrim said:

For the second choice it is either the Roma (for its looks not to be competitive) or the Vanguard.

I read that we could buy Jean Bart in the premium shop but I can't find Jean Bart in the premium shop as she's only available in the Arsenal?

Bwhahaha haha haha you wanna give WGing money? That's hilarious. Stick to tier 7 so you don't get bent with no lube by the broken MM.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[WOLF7]
Members
212 posts
3,305 battles

I used to hear good things about  the Massachusetts.  Have no idea how it played currently.  Roma has that sweet Pope hat.  If you wait a few weeks the Guilio Caesare should be a tier 8 by then.  

You've got the best (Tirpitz) so I would recommend holding tight until things calm down.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,515 battles
8 minutes ago, AdmiralPiett said:

I would personally take Roma over Vanguard myself, though it depends what you are looking for.

I'm leaning towards the Roma too.

7 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Jean Bart was available for something like two weeks when she was released, she is only obtainable through Arsenal.

Regarding the tier VIII choice, what's your playstyle exactly?

I just play for fun. I have no particular playstyle. I love BB and dd and cruiser I can appreciate that too. But CV i haven't played them much.

4 minutes ago, Brohk said:

The Alabama is a solid choice, as for the other two, I had the option of getting the Gascogne or the Roma when they were on sale. I picked the Gascogne, I am not a smart man. 

Sale? Oh how much? 30% off? I could use a sale for either or both of the ships and I would buy them both (Alabama and Roma it seems) but alas no sale for either or both...

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,938 battles
13 minutes ago, LifePilgrim said:

Mass is delirious fun. It could be a total fluke, I’m generally terrible in the handful of BB games I’ve played, but she has been very good to me. 

6 minutes ago, Dr_Dirt said:

I'd go with a T5 BB instead.  In fact, I can think of a half way decent Italian boat.  Oh wait, I think maybe its a T6.  Dang I cant remember now.  I do remember that its an Italian BB.     

How would you go about getting it? 

Edited by Eugenie_101

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,515 battles
1 minute ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

I used to hear good things about  the Massachusetts.  Have no idea how it played currently.  Roma has that sweet Pope hat.  If you wait a few weeks the Guilio Caesare should be a tier 8 by then.  

You've got the best (Tirpitz) so I would recommend holding tight until things calm down.

Thanks Guilio Caesare isn't in the premium shop? I love the looks of Roma better. Thanks. I agree. The Tirpitz is amazing.

[SOV]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,682 posts
6,777 battles
Just now, LifePilgrim said:

I'm leaning towards the Roma too.

I just play for fun. I have no particular playstyle. I love BB and dd and cruiser I can appreciate that too. But CV i haven't played them much.

Sale? Oh how much? 30% off? I could use a sale for either or both of the ships and I would buy them both (Alabama and Roma it seems) but alas no sale for either or both...

That was back during the holidays when they put all in-game premiums on sale, same thing they do every year at that time. I believe the tier VIII's were all -15% off, ended up getting the Atago (finally), Asashio and Gascogne. 

[DANKY]
Members
689 posts
1,938 battles
3 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

I used to hear good things about  the Massachusetts.  Have no idea how it played currently.  

It has an interesting usefulness post-8.0. Mass threatens T8 planes and T6 can’t go near it, plus on top of that it needs to be played  farther forward than most battleships. That makes it a great ‘anchor’ to push your team’s protective AA cover closer to caps and keep the DDs alive. Hydro would be nice but WASD has served me well enough. 

• Cool 1

[SOUS]
Members
251 posts
8,111 battles

If you don't have the USS Massachusetts I would pick that up as it's a great ship at tier 8. You get 11.3km secondaries when you go secondary build, hard hitting 16 inch guns, and one of the best torp belts at its tier. The AA on this ship is okay, but until CVs calm down and stats are final expect some changes. The downside of this ship is that it will require a dedicated captain as the US currently has no other ships that are worth going a full secondary build. Another reason to pick this ship up is I would fully expect it to go the way of only being available in crates as it's over performing. Overall a fun ship to play. 

Members
114 posts
4,197 battles

Rome does not have the strength and stamina to stay in Tier VIII, they must re-adjust it to the Tier VII that is their place. As well as lowering Tiers of Ducas. Just to see the statistics, they are UP.

Members
129 posts
360 battles
11 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

If you wait a few weeks the Guilio Caesare should be a tier 8 by then.  

T O will be here all week.  Don't forget to tip your waitresses 

[SPTR]
Members
26,335 posts
11,623 battles

Alabama pretty good choice and yes Jean Bart is only available at the arsenal now.

[ALL41]
Members
150 posts
4,923 battles

If you enjoy your Tirpitz for the way it can brawl, and dish out secondaries shells also, then look at Mass as your next T8 Premium bb.   

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,515 battles
2 minutes ago, SWANK_BOWZER said:

T O will be here all week.  Don't forget to tip your waitresses 

Hhahahaha  I see. It was a joke.

[SOUS]
Members
251 posts
8,111 battles

I would not go with the Alabama if the Massachusetts is available. The Alabama is basically a Massachusetts with out secondaries. If that's what you want just get the North Carolina as you get better accuracy. 

Members
1,394 posts
3,718 battles
27 minutes ago, LifePilgrim said:

Roma is really bad.

[QCM]
Members
1,308 posts
5,515 battles

Yeah I hear Roma is bad but I love its looks and it was the most powerful Italian battleship....Maybe it will get buffed?

[INTEL]
Members
9,241 posts
26,899 battles

Bamanis probably best. Her consistent powerful guns reward good shooting.

Vanguard is hard to squeeze damage out of, but I find it challenging and fun to play.

I like both very much. Before the ReBork I would have enthusiastically recommended both for their AA but now....

• Cool 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,474 posts
8,233 battles
31 minutes ago, LifePilgrim said:

LifePilgram: In all seriousness you should know up front that Tier 8 ships currently see a lot of up-tiered matches.  You might want to dig into this a bit.  Actual numbers have been posted here over the last few months.  As I recall Tier 8 have been seeing about 80% of their matches in T9 and T10 battles.  

Edited by Dr_Dirt