You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Air Raid Wednesday - First Attack Wave

25 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,049 posts
6,617 battles

WG_SPB_WOWS_Naval_Aviation 3000x1975.psd.png

Aircraft Group Commanders (CAGs), which aircraft type do you launch first from the flightdeck?

Since 0.8.0, aircraft carriers have gone through an extensive overhaul which now puts you directly in the cockpit.

In addition to torpedo and dive bombers, fighter attack squadrons can now engage warships with rockets raining destruction on their targets.

CAGs, which squadron gets the call when you begin combat operations with your Fleet?

"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, US Marine Corps

#airraidwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

• Bad 1

[UDEAD]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,380 posts
3,866 battles

Depends. If the reds are BB heavy I go with torp planes. If alot of red DD are in play then rockets. 

Also rockets if I am bottom tier.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,571 posts
13,484 battles

Always rockets in hope of finding a DD who hasn't figured out he's dead meat if he tries to scout or cap early.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
2,419 posts
28,384 battles

I'm a co-op main.

I launch attack planes first to try to hit a DD and to try to start a fire on a BB.

Then follow up with TBs and target any BBs I was able to start a fire on with my attack planes.

But if I'm on my Kaga, I just use TBs from the start since no worries that it will run out of TBs.

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,933 posts
9,053 battles
7 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

"Flying is hours and hours of boredom sprinkled with a few seconds of sheer terror." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, US Marine Corps

A little too accurate to the gameplay. :Smile_sceptic:

Also, depends on the scenario. DD's/cruisers - rockets, ton of BB's. maybe TB's even though I stick more to rockets as DD if it's in match will likely be spotted and need to be dealt with first.

Never DB's because they need an accurate aim point as to where the damn dive starts so you can actually attempt to line an attack up. 

• Cool 1

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles

If there are any DDs in the match, rockets first.   If no DDs (which is happening more and more) then Torpedoes first.

I try to avoid using the dive bombers because they miss dead on point blank attacks.

• Cool 1

Members
5,137 posts
5,962 battles

For me it depends on the tier and team lineups.

If I'm not bottom tier and there's only one or two DDs per team, then I'm more likely to sortie my torpedo planes first. If there is a roughly even spread of ship types, then I'm more likely to go with rocket armed fighters to scout enemy destroyers and attempt to drive them away from caps, advantageous positions, and cause general panic and chip damage.

• Cool 1

[INR]
Members
675 posts
3,756 battles
12 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

CAGs, which squadron gets the call when you begin combat operations with your Fleet?

I'm not a CV skipper, but y'know... E13A "Jakes", F1M "Petes", and Supermarine Walruses are always my go-to planes to launch. I like seaplanes. Heck, I'd even go for Zuiun dive bombers if available. Pretty fun to see a seaplane with diving air brakes.

• Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,023 posts
7,968 battles

Whichever squadron is the fastest, because whoever scouts the enemy team first, and subsequently strikes first (even for only a little opportunistic dmg), gains a tactical and psychological advantage for their own team. This is why, airspeed is now the primary stat for effective victory for CVs in WOWS (even if most players don't realize this yet).

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,044 posts

I start with the fastest planes for scouting purposes. Once I see what's out there and which ships, if any, are stragglers, then I make a few attacks in hopes of setting fires and return with bombs or torpedoes. That is, unless it's a DD, in which case it's rockets all the way.

• Cool 1

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,544 battles

I always send out Rockets first. Good for initial scouting. After a quick strike on an opportune target, I almost always go straight for Dive Bombers.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,075 posts
14,896 battles

The first plane I launch is a seaplane pulling a large banner with my Apology to my team for having to play Carriers. 

:fish_palm: 

• Funny 3

Members
20,838 posts
5,614 battles

Usually DBs. They're decent for any target, and because you can use the speed boost for a long time, I think you can get to initial spotting areas at least as quickly as fighters. (for T4&6 CVs anyway.

I prefer fighters over DBs if I'm going after a ship that has decent air support, because I can get away with a shorter attack run and be maneuvering again quickly.

TBs I tend to only use on BBs and CVs. (not that I won't attack a DD/CA that pops up as an opportunity)

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,519 posts
10,213 battles

Rockets, even if you don't find any DD's the rockets will help take out AA on the cruisers or BB's that you hit.

• Cool 1

[STP]
[STP]
Beta Testers
2,528 posts
11,886 battles

I first try use rockets because they are fast and spot everone... but the dmg is useless.
Then i try torpedo bombers but cant hit a crapwith this ridiculuos aiming time and slow speed torps, also AA and wasd.
They i try bombers, and look... they still useless.

Then after see you can do only a crap30~40k dmg in the cv i just start "send" my cv for rush b because its the only thing you can do in this game now.

Then i see i dont do any dmg in this crapnew system and give up playing my favorite class because wg destroy it and chage the gameplay for this boring/useless new system.

Hak was one exception, buuut luck you guys alread destroy the ship with this fast 0.8.0.1 update.

Yay.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles

Easy. Always the torpedo squadron. If possible always the torpedo squadron playing with the japanese carriers. Rush towards a cap , if i spot a dd for the team i could use the fighter squadron to keep them spotted near the cap but i don't waste time and i continue to rush forward until i see my first lonely cruiser or battleship. The irony is to see dds players complaining in the foruns about the carrier attacks against them. I don't even bother with the dds. I play as the japanese to kill the cruisers and battleships as fast as possible. Only if i know there is an enemy dd causing problems near my sector , or that he is the closest target after all cruisers , and battleships are sunk i will target him.

Now if i am playing with the americans or the future british carrier in a domination match i will almost always use rocket squadrons.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,294 posts
2,295 battles

usually start off with the attack planes since they are the fastest and are a good spotter that can do good damage

plus they are easiest to attack with since TBs require you to get ridiculously close to be accurate and DBs cant hit a moving target unless its a BB cause the aiming reticle is all wonky

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
8,044 posts
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Rockets, even if you don't find any DD's the rockets will help take out AA on the cruisers or BB's that you hit.

There are many ships that I simply must steer well clear of in the early game. Only when others have pounded them with HE and taken out AA modules can I take my planes anywhere near them. My initial attacks are on things like Bismark, Tirpitz, Atago, and DDs if I can find them. If I am going to play CVs a lot I really need to make a list of ships with weaker AA.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[NO_CV]
Beta Testers
1,063 posts
15,137 battles

Yeah I pretty much launch TBs at the start, and then more TBs, and more TBs, and then some more TBs.

and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[CAST]
Members
1,423 posts
7,924 battles

I always load rockets first.  They are fast and can hurt DDs easily.  They are also capable of damaging AA on other ships.

• Cool 1

[SFOR]
Members
933 posts
6,592 battles
Just now, Gaishu_Isshoku said:

Yeah I pretty much launch TBs at the start, and then more TBs, and more TBs, and then some more TBs.

and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming and they dont stop coming 

Exactly!!!! hahahaha.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,519 posts
10,213 battles
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

There are many ships that I simply must steer well clear of in the early game. Only when others have pounded them with HE and taken out AA modules can I take my planes anywhere near them, My initial attacks are on things like Bismark, Tirpitz, Atago, and DDs if I can find them.

The attack fighters are fast enough that often you can get past the flak with little damage and make your attack under relatively light AA and depending on the ship I am often able to stay out of the flak zone with the use of the s and a or d key to make my other attacks.

[CVA16]
Members
2,804 posts
10,553 battles
4 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

If there are any DDs in the match, rockets first.   If no DDs (which is happening more and more) then Torpedoes first.

Hmm, I wonder why the number of DDs is declining lately....

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
3,521 posts
4,011 battles

Always rockets. They're the fastest, so I can zip round and spot as many targets before others do. :Smile_teethhappy:

Then torpedoes, since I like them the  most. They're my go-to for striking at anything non-DD.