Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
StoptheViolins

Radar Changes 8.1

43 comments in this topic

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,698 posts

Gist - radar ship will see targets right away, allies will need to wait 6 seconds.

Surveillance Radar
At higher tiers, few battles are fought without a cruiser carrying the Surveillance Radar consumable. Still, we can hardly say it's a must-have for this type of ship; French and Japanese cruisers perform more than adequately without radar capability. For certain ships, however, this equipment seems requisite, as it contributes heavily to their stance as destroyer-hunters.

That said, ships geared towards relying on their concealment and smoke are finding it increasingly difficult to survive in battles filled with radar-carrying ships. When fighting for key areas, there is a risk of being confronted by a ship that can detect them from a relatively safe distance despite their concealment. If that's a single threat, the target ship has a chance to disengage and pull away, or fight on equal ground. But it more often happens that a spotted ship immediately finds itself under massive fire from all of the opponents fighting on that flank. As a result, a fragile ship has neither time to react, nor the chance to make an evasive maneuver, and is likely to lose a significant amount of hit points in the ensuing assault.

On the other hand, cases have occurred where the mere presence of a cruiser equipped with Surveillance Radar has forced destroyers to abandon the flank, move to the opposite side of the map, and leave their teammates unsupported.

Bearing these factors and your feedback in mind, we decided to change the mechanics behind the Surveillance Radar consumable.

Starting from Update 0.8.1, Surveillance Radar will operate on the following principle: Any ship being targeted by the radar will be rendered and visible to allies only after a 6-second period, provided that the targeted ship remains in the radar zone the entire time. All detected targets will immediately show up on the Minimap. Hence, the interaction of the ship using the Surveillance Radar and the detected target remains unchanged with no delay added.

Now, if a destroyer capturing a key area is suddenly spotted by radar, it will have some time to make evasive maneuvers and escape from the fire of most enemy ships. The same refers to cruisers hiding in smoke: they will be able to pick up speed and can even manage to assume a better position with their fore or aft towards the enemy.

These changes will affect the basic mechanics and the parameters of Surveillance Radar, i.e. its range and operation time.

The operating time of this consumable will be made more consistent across the many ships that come equipped with Surveillance Radar. It will also now be easier to remember the exact distance to maintain in order to avoid detection. In fact, this change will improve these ships' characteristics, as the operating range of Surveillance Radar will grow.
Soviet cruisers, Pan-Asian destroyers, and various other ships carry a radar with a relatively short operating time. To avoid a reduction in the effective time in which teammates can take advantage of the consumable, we’ve increased its duration.

Happy medium?

• Cool 3

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,385 battles

I'm amazed anyone has seen this at all, given all the CV rework and GC proposed changes hate.

• Bad 1

[1NJS]
Members
79 posts
5,418 battles

keep in mind that a couple also get a buff to the duration so is you sit still you have 1 person (the person pressing the red button) shooting you for 6 seconds, then the entire team shoots you for the same duration that you were previously shot at.  Yes, not all ships have had radar buff and maybe you can get out of the range in those 6 seconds but I would say not a buff or nerf but maybe a sideways shift.

• Cool 1

[LUCK]
Members
1,616 posts
21,616 battles
1 hour ago, Gasboy said:

given all the CV rework and GC proposed changes hate.

With good reason

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,552 posts
1,049 battles

But they are also buffing radar duration. 

[MOH]
Members
433 posts
1,703 battles

I wouldn't mind them doing something similar like this where the CV has to keep vision up on a DD for like 6 seconds for the rest of their team to see them.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
2,301 posts

then what's the point of radar, dds now can sit comfortably since they got the get out of jail card

• Bad 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,801 posts
6,089 battles

While I may or may not agree with WG's changes I do believe they are attempting to better the game.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
10,074 posts
2 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

then what's the point of radar, dds now can sit comfortably since they got the get out of jail card

646BOqm.jpg

[-GDP-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,552 posts
1,049 battles

They are making it easier for noobish DD mains.

• Bad 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,801 posts
6,089 battles
5 minutes ago, alex08060 said:

Only on a few ships & for a reason. I'm sure if you're a DD main, there are no good reasons to buff radar.

Members
861 posts
5,036 battles
1 minute ago, Happy668 said:

Any DD who can sit comfortably when radared after this change could sit comfortably before this change. Outside of coordinated divisions and Clan Wars most players did not have their guns loaded and zeroed in on a DD the second radar was popped. This change is effectively meaningless. It will save DDs who were well positioned in the face of radar some chip damage. DD players who don't understand how to play around radar will still get [edited] over and killed. Six seconds is simply not long enough to correct serious or fatal positioning mistakes. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,204 posts

Radar range and duration buffs.  Bring it on.  I'm good with the delay as it will give DDs/CLs a chance to get out of dodge. . .  I see radar as an area denial weapon anyway.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
105 posts
5,260 battles

They could make radar on all the time just as long as it didn't go through islands.  You know actually have to be a target while doing their job.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
18 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

Any DD who can sit comfortably when radared after this change could sit comfortably before this change. Outside of coordinated divisions and Clan Wars most players did not have their guns loaded and zeroed in on a DD the second radar was popped. This change is effectively meaningless. It will save DDs who were well positioned in the face of radar some chip damage. DD players who don't understand how to play around radar will still get [edited] over and killed. Six seconds is simply not long enough to correct serious or fatal positioning mistakes. 

I think you're right, at least about the delay in spotting.  This isn't going to make any meaningful difference for the players that have already adapted to play around radar or the noobs that haven't.  I suppose it might help some of the average players not get killed.  The range and duration buffs might actually be the bigger change.  That extra range is even more area that is being denied. 

[55TH]
Beta Testers
935 posts
3,385 battles
42 minutes ago, alex08060 said:

Yeah, for some ships the radar duration is so low, 6 seconds would eat most of their duration.  So those ships are getting a small buff.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,237 posts
11,044 battles

Outright Buffs -

• RU cruisers in 1-on-1 fights with anything using stealth
  • PA destroyers in 1-on-1 fights with anything using stealth
  • Baltimore, Neptune, Edinburgh in 1-on-1 fights with anything using stealth

Conditional Buffs -

• RU cruisers in 2-on-1 fights with anything using stealth, with inattentive teammates where 5s of own use is better than 6s of theirs
  • PA destroyers as above
  • Baltimore, Neptune, Edinburgh as above

Nerfs -

• Radar teamplay
  • No-risk radar through islands for teammates (good)
  • That one time 11 of your teammates were really ready to shoot that DD in smoke
  • Yueyang in team-oriented CB (on top of the earlier nerf)
  • Wichita - keeps 9km radar range, why play over the tankier, better AA, 10km stealth-radaring Baltimore?

Overall... not sure about this change, I think it would shake up CB where radar is more coordinated more than randoms where radar is selfish anyway.

[SI-YC]
Beta Testers
701 posts
4,595 battles

DM main here.  This is a good deal.  I usually hide to get that first radar off and this will give some incentive to get your guns out so to speak.  Radar is awfully hard on capping and that's not a good thing for the game.  CVs on the other hand.............. ;P

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,698 posts

I would hope everyone will try to play the PTS so that WG can see if 6s is a good number or not.  I am guessing the 6s is the average time it takes a DD to go 7km or something.

[SEOP]
Members
1,474 posts
8,233 battles
14 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

I would hope everyone will try to play the PTS so that WG can see if 6s is a good number or not.  I am guessing the 6s is the average time it takes a DD to go 7km or something.

:Smile_veryhappy: that would be about 2200 knots/hour.  The games distance scaling factor is only about 2.6.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,746 posts
26 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

No one is going to bother with PTS now that it's obvious WG doesn't actually look a the data they collect....:Smile_trollface:

• Boring 1

Members
20,704 posts
5,599 battles
1 hour ago, Happy668 said:

No they can't, haven't you been reading? DDs are permaspotted by CVs!

Seriously though, nothing changes as far as the DD getting spotted. What the DD does get is a 6-second head start before half the enemy team opens up on him. Basically, it gives the DD the opportunity to either escape, or be running away, (or angled however they desire) before they get focussed.

In any case, if the DD is just going to sit there, he'll either get sunk by focus fire 6 seconds later than he would have previously, or attract the notice of a CV. And with the duration increase, it's more likely that planes will arrive before the DD disappears again.

[S0L0]
Members
82 posts
1 hour ago, Ranari said:

I wouldn't mind them doing something similar like this where the CV has to keep vision up on a DD for like 6 seconds for the rest of their team to see them.

That's a good idea.

Sign in to follow this