Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

A Suggestion to Help with AA

4 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
7,922 posts
10,490 battles

Create onscreen icons that tell a player what type of CV planes are targeting him. In reality, a warship with hundreds of sailors would be constantly relaying this info back to the commanders. When you are receiving fire from multiple ships, dodging ship torpedoes, trying to shoot back, and then have to wonder what you should be doing regarding planes by searching the around the sky to look for plane icons, well it's a bit much. It would be nice of priority target would pop up the type of plane that is targeting you. 

[RKLES]
Members
8,284 posts
10,516 battles

We already have about as much data as they had if not more so. In the heat of battles like we oftennare when the planes move in your gunners would sometimes only be able to ID them as enemy planes or sometimes the type of them if there was time and training to do so. Sometimes they would only probably know the aircraft type by how it approached since dive bombers would come in higher altitude to move in for attack while the torp bombers would have to start skimming the surface of the water to be low enough to drop their Torps once within range.

And honestly with a few bugs still in the game we would be better off fixing those before adding even more complexity to the game code by adding new features such as what you suggested. Although having the detected by aircraft icon does make it feel more real by not knowing, since as I said they sometimes would pick up on planes without always knowing the type of planes right away.

Members
15 posts
12,605 battles

I appreciate WOWs ‘good faith’ effort in trying to restore some balance of a ship’s AA to the reworked, but now over powered CV’s. However, in my opinion the free re-assignment of commander skills  is more inline with the concept of polishing the hard night soil of an ox than of having any meaningful value. 

When a small ship, tier 4/5 has limited AA protection to begin with, any minimal gain in it’s AA rating isn’t worth the re-assignment of commander skills. A smaller ship which lacks the various modules and consumables that the higher tiers have.  And as such, need the all of the complimentary skills they currently have so that they can fight more effectively in the first place. So to give anything up just weakens the CA's play and is a poor substitute.

Therefore, if WOWS truly wants to help the smaller ships adapt I would suggest;

You bump up every small tier ship’s AA rating.

Admiral Snargfargle is correct, WOWS needs to rework the torpedo alert particularly because we gamers don't have a 360* view of the threat which in real life radar and lookouts give you.  I don't know about the need to know what type of plane is trying to kill me, but I think that we at least need to always know if the threat is to starboard or port, plus fore, aft, or abeam.   Particularly, now when CVs drop one or two torps at a time from different angles of attack.  

In as much that it seems that it's only when you get to 6/7 tier cruisers that we begin to see decent AA or at least a consumable that improves it, I would say that you no longer put tier 4s CAs with 6 CVs and tier 5 CAs with 7CVs and/or you limit the battle to only one CV per team.  

Lastly, as a new incentive and or money maker for WOWs, I would suggest that for those of us with 19 point commanders we have earned the ability to  build/customize our ship by being able to acquire more commander skills.  Mind you, I’m not suggesting that it should take any more earned XP than what is currently required to become an American Fleet Admiral at 19 points.   I’m saying that as a Fleet Admiral I have the new option to add whatever new skill I want.  Perhaps WOWs could make this possible through a purchase, IE. of 50,000 Commander XP and 500 doubloons or some combination thereof.

[PSP]
Members
7,922 posts
10,490 battles
30 minutes ago, Boat_Ape said:

at least need to always know if the threat is to starboard or port, plus fore, aft, or abeam.  

This is a good idea. Show plane icons the same as torpedo icons on the ship silhouette view. 

Sign in to follow this