You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Snargfargle

Who Says That DDs Can't Do Anything Since 8.0?

89 comments in this topic

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,158 posts
4,372 battles

OG Shima beats flying Shima? Nice.

[WOLF6]
Members
2,301 posts
5,128 battles
25 minutes ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

but I thought 0.8.0 killed DDs for good???

Yeah, one game is a representative sample, huh?

• Cool 6
  • Bad 1

[OKM]
Members
162 posts
2,322 battles

I didn't feel the new meta in my Monaghan and his 30 shot down planes.

Members
5,159 posts
9,646 battles

The ones that get farmed to death by carriers.

But some carriers realized you can get 400k+ games by just farming BBs instead.

• Funny 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
105 posts
5,329 battles

Ya, sorry thinking enemy CV's weren't looking for you.  So taking one game saying hey LOOK AT ME!!!  Not buying it after all these games that speak otherwise.  This is what is going on in the real world with this patch.

• Cool 2

[TRG]
Members
227 posts
13,182 battles

I too have had a FEW good DD games, But only because the Enemy CV players were concentrating on a lemming train I would not join. I got Lucky, Plain and simple. All the other games Ive played DDs in have been roll overs and DD's have become useless.. Most games seem to be roll overs now. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,118 posts
5,524 battles
2 hours ago, Thornir said:

If people are going to make absolute statements about the uselessness of destroyers post-rework, it's enough for ONE single datum to the contrary to utterly trash such an opinion.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,174 posts
8,255 battles
1 hour ago, Pulicat said:

The ones that get farmed to death by carriers.

But some carriers realized you can get 400k+ games by just farming BBs instead.

^^^ This

While the potato CV meta is to spot/hunt DDs first, the recent videos we've seen have been focused on farming damage, completely ignoring tactical targets.

Unless you're facing low tier CVs.   DDs are still priority target at T4 and T6

Edited by DiddleDum

[WOLF6]
Members
2,301 posts
5,128 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If people are going to make absolute statements about the uselessness of destroyers post-rework, it's enough for ONE single datum to the contrary to utterly trash such an opinion.

Ok, by that logic, “the earth is flat”. . There. One contrary opinion in the face of facts. I must be right. The earth is flat. 

• Funny 4

[ARGSY]
Members
8,118 posts
5,524 battles
7 minutes ago, Thornir said:

Ok, by that logic, “the earth is flat”. . There. One contrary opinion in the face of facts. I must be right. The earth is flat. 

That's how we do science. One contradictory piece of evidence IS enough to demolish a hypothesis.

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Sure some people have made absolute statements about DDs being useless, ignore them.  That doesn't mean the far greater number of people that have voiced concern over the state of concealment, and ease a CV can target DDs isn't a problem.  Too many people are willing to throw out an entire topic because a few people make rash, absolute statements.  It silly.  At least I can understand people coming to forum venting about the new meta "ruining" the game for them.  The OP is just being a troll.  

[PSP]
Members
8,044 posts
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Exactly. A basic course in logic really needs to be a requirement for high school students. I studied philosophy for four years as a non-degree-seeking grad student once. Probably the one course that I actually got something out of was symbolic logic.

Edited by Snargfargle

[ARGSY]
Members
8,118 posts
5,524 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

Sure some people have made absolute statements about DDs being useless, ignore them.  That doesn't mean the far greater number of people that have voiced concern over the state of concealment, and ease a CV can target DDs isn't a problem.  Too many people are willing to throw out an entire topic because a few people make rash, absolute statements.  It silly.  At least I can understand people coming to forum venting about the new meta "ruining" the game for them.  The OP is just being a troll.  

I have a win rate that hovers around 50%. I have admittedly been playing a lot of co-op recently, but that's because I'm burned out from a busy year, not because of this rework. On the occasions I've taken a DD into Randoms, my worst problem has been my entire team getting slaughtered by ships while achieving almost nothing, and leaving me without heavy fire support. Aircraft have actually been the least of my problems.

[WOLF6]
Members
2,301 posts
5,128 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That's how we do science. One contradictory piece of evidence IS enough to demolish a hypothesis.

If it is factual, not an opinion. 

And, single data points that do not support the regression are called “outliers”, and a proper analysis, with a representative sample size will provide p-values of 0.1 in spite of them. 

Dont preach at me about science, mate. I’m an Engineer. RyuuuhD is throwing shade, not stating facts. 

• Cool 1

[STAR]
Members
2,955 posts
8,064 battles

First, one game doesnt prove anything. I saw a Musashi with 20+ planes kills, this doenst mean Musashi AA is strong.

Second, OP is completely missing the fun factor. I was able to get good games with my DDs. I just dont have fun. DDs are forced to play very passively and farm damage from long range. But if i wanted to do that i would be playing a cruiser or a BB, not a DD. When im playing a DD i want to be agressive, play objectives, and not sit in the back farming damage from long range. 

• Cool 1

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I have a win rate that hovers around 50%. I have admittedly been playing a lot of co-op recently, but that's because I'm burned out from a busy year, not because of this rework. On the occasions I've taken a DD into Randoms, my worst problem has been my entire team getting slaughtered by ships while achieving almost nothing, and leaving me without heavy fire support. Aircraft have actually been the least of my problems.

I'm not playing so I can't say how things are playing out right now.  When I played in testing ships were being spotted a lot more.  While I do think many people are overreacting, I also think there is plenty of reason for concern. 

Right now so many games seem to be a mess (from I've seen from streams and youtube vids).  Once things settle down I have a feeling DDs will be on the menu.  What I've seen is ships aren't in position, teams aren't really playing the objectives as much, a ton of steam rolls.  I'd guess radar usage could be down by 50% with radar cruisers and DDs not playing their normal roles because of the shake up.  My concern is that any more spotting will be problematic for DDs (in higher tiers).  The balance for DDs has always been walking a fine line.  I don't think DDs need any more counters.  I'll say this last thing, my guess is DDs stats will drop across the board.  I don't know how much, nor am I suggesting it will be a lot.  Games played, average damage, survival rates, XP, frags, all of it, will likely drop when a CV can spot a DDs any time they want, or even just incidentally.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
8,118 posts
5,524 battles
13 minutes ago, Thornir said:

RyuuuhD is throwing shade, not stating facts. 

No, actually he was being sarcastic. I think he's on OP's side, whereas you appeared not to be. Snarg's example DOES demolish the ABSOLUTE claim that DD's are useless post rework. How useless they are is open to conjecture and the whimsies of individual skill and matchmaking.

[-BUI-]
Members
562 posts
2,537 battles

Tell that to the Shima I found with plane RPF (which is so powerful) and then sat on the entire game while me and the other CV pummeled him with rockets until he go boom.   

• Cool 1

Members
20,838 posts
5,614 battles
3 hours ago, Thornir said:

Pretty much. Most people on both sides are using single games to illustrate.

CVs are all OP? Yes, because we have screenshots of ONE game with ONE particular CV where somebody did 550k damage. That one game spawned a whole line of discussion, and hardly anyone thought to ask, "is that a CV problem, a T10 problem, or a Hakuryu problem?"

No, people used one example as proof all CVs are OP.

If you're going to call people out for use of one example, be sure not to leave out the ones you happen to agree with.....

Members
20,838 posts
5,614 battles
53 minutes ago, Thornir said:

That's the thing. You're just stating an opinion. Snarg showed us a screenshot that proves without a doubt that DDs aren't ABSOLUTELY useless.

You can still argue that they are somewhat, or even largely useless. But that screenshot takes absolutely right off the table.

[WOLF7]
Members
10,786 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

People have already documented the drop in dd play, were you were too busy fanboi'ing to notice?:Smile_trollface:

Members
17 posts
5,220 battles
3 hours ago, Thornir said:

Hmm, well they aren't the only ones.  Kept hearing the sky was falling, so took out my Fujin, a DD that relies on stealth, to test that theory. . .

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 9.32.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-03 at 9.33.27 PM.png