You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
khazz_1

teir 6 US cv's question

14 comments in this topic

[1NJS]
Members
28 posts
1,879 battles

IS it just me is the teir 6 US cv's almost unplayable, for example go in for a torp run only launch 2 torps , swing around for a second run  and by the time you do your squadron is decimated. Also i have seen  quite a few games where the enemy AA is absolute perfect . Do not get me wrong I am  not trying to [edited] about the game mechanics just trying to figure the new cv style of play out.

• Cool 1

[CAST]
Members
1,423 posts
7,924 battles

T6 CV play is tough.  It is even worst if there are multiple ships close to each other.  It becomes a no fly zone.  

[SANK]
Members
220 posts
5,670 battles

5 hours ago, khazz_1 said:

IS it just me is the teir 6 US cv's almost unplayable, for example go in for a torp run only launch 2 torps , swing around for a second run  and by the time you do your squadron is decimated. Also i have seen  quite a few games where the enemy AA is absolute perfect . Do not get me wrong I am  not trying to [edited] about the game mechanics just trying to figure the new cv style of play out.

39 minutes ago, Murcc said:

T6 CV play is tough.  It is even worst if there are multiple ships close to each other.  It becomes a no fly zone.  

The issue is fighting against anything in a higher tier than you rips apart your planes. TBH I will only do one run then recall my planes when I am fighting against higher tier ships. The only time you can do more than one run is late in the game after a bunch of HE has been spammed.

I was running Coop games in my Kaga and Siapan last night. It was pretty bad since I regularly saw T10 games. The Kaga was the worst since it's planes are lower tier (But more of them). The Kaga's planes would sometimes not even complete a single run. This seemed a lot like the issue with tiers in WoT where you could play a tank where the only thing they could do in the match is spot and track the other vehicles (This is why I stopped playing WoT). If you look, the premium carriers have less than 2k games played in them, and one or two have less than 1k.

I have a bad feeling that WG is going to have a hard time balancing AA/Tier and that the 2 tier separation of the CVs is going to not be able to be balanced with out some serious sleight of hand, or maybe not at all.

The result might just be that you will not see CVs played less than before if at all. This should at least appease the portion of the player base that wants them gone.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
1,862 posts
2,628 battles

I do OK in Ranger if I get a Tier 6 match..  Its a struggle in T7 and really challenging at T8.      In a T8 Match  with it, I kind of have to try and influence the game a bit more with spotting,  area denial or picking the right time to suicide for a little damage.  There are a number of t8 ships that are just insta-death for T6 planes.     I still like it better than T4 honestly.. game feels pretty stale there to me.    I know it would a mess for CV Mm to try and do it now.. But I really think they need a +1/-1 MM long term if they are going to keep the every other tiers...        

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,148 posts
7,250 battles

Ranger is simply bad in its current state. It’s planes are slower than RJ, and her torpedo bombers in particular take about seven years to just aim in. This means attack runs need to start at greater distances, and you can’t correct the point of aim at all without resetting the reticule. Her dive bombers are also stuck with HE which, while useful for sometimes getting a fire or something, can’t deal the unhealable damage of a citadel like RJ.

And then there’s Rangers concealment, which is 4 kilometers larger on the surface, and 5 by air. 

If if you want to have fun at VI, play RJ and avoid Ranger. The same is true of Lexington vs Shokaku.

[WOSV]
Members
435 posts
2,520 battles

Statistically, across the whole NA server, the Ranger is bad. Like, sub 30k damage/game bad. I mean, she was never really a "great" CV anyway, but to see her doing this badly is kinda worrying. That or there are just more Ryujo players because they want a sweet piece of that damage-farming cancer known as Hakuryu.

Come to think of it all USN CV's damage stats are way worse than it's IJN counterparts. Ranger < Ryujo, Lex, Enterprise < Shokaku, Kaga < Saipan, and Midway < Hakuryu. It's kinda been how it's always been, but even with the rework USN CV's are still worse somehow. IDK why.

[SALTY]
Members
339 posts
5,476 battles

Ranger is completely unusable in all the ways that matter in randoms compared to Ryujo and it doesn't get better with Lexington. Who cares if you can defend yourself with superior AA if your planes are garbage?

The brits will be better at starting fires AND torping, so the US has zero advantages.

Edited by harikari25

Beta Testers
1,455 posts
7,253 battles

I wouldn't be surprised if they started buffing the USN CVs soon.  Or rather tier 6 CVs in general.  They're nerfing IJN damage application in the hotfix, so if the t6 CV's both have difficulty doing damage they might start applying blanket buffs to them.  

[NUWES]
Members
1,918 posts
6,281 battles

I'm on Ranger myself. You have to be really careful about what you are attacking if you are uptiered. USN CAs and CLs are a no-go. Atlantas, Baltimores, and Clevelands in particular will just kill them all or hurt them so badly you won't get a second wave. Just don't go there.  The T7 CAs and CLs are no slouches either. The DDs and BBs can be really bad too if AA specced. Be aware that several USN DDs in your tier range have DFAA and enough AA to really mess you up.  

Japanese DDs, and BBs are the best targets. Their AA is some of the worst on their tiers. Akizuki and Kii are exceptions. Avoid those two. Target Ashitakas and Mutsus preferentially. Their AA is awful. The IJN CAs are the next best. They have DFAA but have poor AA and are rarely AA specced.  The French ships  don't have great AA either. The DDs are terrible, the BBs are also pretty bad (Richelieu is an exception, avoid it) and are poorly armored as well. UK DDs are also bad. KM cruisers can be unpleasant as can some of the Russians. They have enough AA that if specced they can be problems if you are bottom tier. Their DDs aren't normally AA specced so you can usually drop on them without too many problems. Above all try to avoid clusters of ships. Even bad AA boats like Ashitaka can hurt you a lot if they have help nearby. Pick on the stragglers and the yolos who are away from the others. 

Members
13 posts
1,583 battles

A lot depends on the MM yeah - when you see 8’s it’s gonna be tough sledding... I’ve had some top 4 type games vs 8’s in the lineup but it’s usually when paired with a T8 CV, it’s mostly not doable if you’re by yourself.

I am having good success with Ranger but it’s the only carrier I know so I can’t compare. I know everyone hates CVs but I feel like Ranger is pretty balanced at its Tier or even +1 because it weapons systems are all danger close - 3km torps at like 45kts, HE bombs or rockets, it’s not gonna happen unless you get in and get dirty, there’s no way around getting up close.

For the strengths of being a CV, I feel like it’s a pretty fair trade off and it really serves as a great crucible to learn in - you will pay dearly if you don’t. 

Losing 40+ planes when T8 AA is around is normal. I lost 51 planes to a single Kidd in a match once. With Ranger you get one pass only, there’s no F key spam because most of the flight will be killed making the attack run. It’s either that, or you finish with just spotting ribbons lol...

You can still contribute with dropping defensive fighter caps and hunting stragglers that might be closer to your tier, but generally it’s not gonna be a big payout kinda game when +2 AA is involved...

At Tier or +1 though, I feel like i can always have a big game even if it doesn’t happen consistently... not OP and not underpowered, I feel like Ranger is in a good spot.

vs. Ryujo though, I can’t speak on it. I’ve had quite a few games where I’ve outplayed Ryujo by a lot, but it’s not consistent... at T6 it’s probably more about the player I would guess.

[MPG]
Members
6 posts
1,521 battles

I may be late to this forum but I have some opinions about the ranger in particular since I am playing it currently the torpedo bombers are not that good you only fire two torpedoes per run and they do 3k to 3.5k dmg that is if you hit your target you have to be within 3km and the torpedoes move only 35 kts most destroyers can out run them and some cruisers can also out run them your rocket aircraft are now pretty useless unless you go after a big target but more often than not I do more damage with my dive bombers... I guess what I am really trying to say is that all the American carriers need some love and attention 

[SOV]
Members
1,332 posts
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, Billy2Hawks said:

The issue is fighting against anything in a higher tier than you rips apart your planes. TBH I will only do one run then recall my planes when I am fighting against higher tier ships. The only time you can do more than one run is late in the game after a bunch of HE has been spammed.

I was running Coop games in my Kaga and Siapan last night. It was pretty bad since I regularly saw T10 games. The Kaga was the worst since it's planes are lower tier (But more of them). The Kaga's planes would sometimes not even complete a single run. This seemed a lot like the issue with tiers in WoT where you could play a tank where the only thing they could do in the match is spot and track the other vehicles (This is why I stopped playing WoT). If you look, the premium carriers have less than 2k games played in them, and one or two have less than 1k.

I have a bad feeling that WG is going to have a hard time balancing AA/Tier and that the 2 tier separation of the CVs is going to not be able to be balanced with out some serious sleight of hand, or maybe not at all.

The result might just be that you will not see CVs played less than before if at all. This should at least appease the portion of the player base that wants them gone.

I wonder if anyone thought about the mm without odd t cv?  Fara no one talked about it.  t9 took up games for the 10 matches. That is a great point!

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,202 posts
13,784 battles
On 2/6/2019 at 5:41 AM, khazz_1 said:

IS it just me is the teir 6 US cv's almost unplayable, for example go in for a torp run only launch 2 torps , swing around for a second run  and by the time you do your squadron is decimated. 

Ranger is fine.  If you are up against good backside AA and one flight can get the torps off, send two flights home and run in with one.   If you need two flight to get torps off, send one flight home.  Same with TBD and Rocket fighter.

Sometimes, if the AA bubbles are strong, you just have to spot...probe for weaknesses.  Drop some fighters to help friendlies.