You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Perriwen

Can we stop pretending the GC/list of premium nerfs has anything to do with 'balance'?

80 comments in this topic

[NSFW]
[NSFW]
Members
100 posts
6,768 battles

It wasn't two months ago WG was actively promoting how OP the ships were to try and get people to spend money on loot boxes so they could gamble for them.  Now, all a sudden they wanna talk nerfs. Is it not obvious they saw a dip in revenue of the Santa crates, realized they weren't making the money they thought they were trying to get people to gamble for the ships-so now, the nerfs are incoming so they can justify selling them again?

This has nothing to do with 'balance', this has everything to do with $$$$.

Meanwhile, Stalingrad is just 'fine' with the absurd sigma.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[S-N-D]
Members
2,048 posts
6,102 battles

Oy vey! Shut it down, shut it down! They know!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[INR]
Members
655 posts
3,719 battles
6 minutes ago, Perriwen said:

It wasn't two months ago WG was actively promoting how OP the ships were to try and get people to spend money on loot boxes so they could gamble for them.  Now, all a sudden they wanna talk nerfs. Is it not obvious they saw a dip in revenue of the Santa crates, realized they weren't making the money they thought they were trying to get people to gamble for the ships-so now, the nerfs are incoming so they can justify selling them again?

Wow, it's almost like WG is a company that needs to make money.

Look, I'm all for calling out bull****, but c'mon. It's in any game developer's best interest to make a balanced game in order to generate more revenue .

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[NSFW]
[NSFW]
Members
100 posts
6,768 battles
1 minute ago, WuYixiang said:

Wow, it's almost like WG is a company that needs to make money.

Look, I'm all for calling out bull****, but c'mon. It's in any game developer's best interest to make a balanced game in order to generate more revenue .

There's 'need to make money', and then there's 'sleazy tactics to manipulate people into spending money'. This is the latter.

And that isn't what WG is doing. They're (sort of) trying to make the ILLUSION the game is balanced...but always keeping it from actually BEING balanced so they can promote some form of gimmick.

• Cool 6

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,107 posts
4,337 battles
Just now, Perriwen said:

And that isn't what WG is doing. They're (sort of) trying to make the ILLUSION the game is balanced...but always keeping it from actually BEING balanced so they can promote some form of gimmick.

Find me an example of a game with monthly updates and content additions that's perfectly balanced, and I'll reimburse you for all your pixel ships myself. There's a difference between "trying to achieve something that's ultimately unobtainable because doing nothing would be a disaster" and "intentional sabotage in the name of profit".

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

Members
1,712 posts
9,107 battles
2 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

Find me an example of a game with monthly updates and content additions that's perfectly balanced, and I'll reimburse you for all your pixel ships myself. There's a difference between "trying to achieve something that's ultimately unobtainable because doing nothing would be a disaster" and "intentional sabotage in the name of profit".

Hey

How was that Graf Zeppelin fiasco from last year?  Profit hope that bit them in the hind end.  Maybe a quality product up front would have made more money in the end, don't you think.

Pete

• Cool 1

[NSFW]
[NSFW]
Members
100 posts
6,768 battles
Just now, Landsraad said:

First off, I never said 'perfectly balanced', I said 'deliberately kept unbalanced'. It's been obvious these last few months when WG flat out ignores testers by introducing a blatantly unbalanced feature they'll 'fix later'. Meanwhile, the feature itself either brings in money, or the counter does. Do you think it's 'coincidence' that when the CV rework hits, the shop suddenly has a special for the battleship that has the most powerful long-range AA at tier 8? But, as for 'near perfect balanced' games with monthly updates- Elite Dangerous, DCS World, Monster Hunter World...I can go on.

[WOLF1]
Members
3,788 posts
1,509 battles
4 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

How was that Graf Zeppelin fiasco from last year?  Profit hope that bit them in the hind end.  Maybe a quality product up front would have made more money in the end, don't you think.

Pete

If they really wanted cash, all they had to do was put GZ up on the store in its OP state after the 'balancing'...

But they didn't.

• Cool 2

[ALL41]
Members
150 posts
4,923 battles
9 minutes ago, Airglide2 said:

Proof!  Now!  That they didn’t make bank this past holiday season.

+1.    No kidding...I know I spent enough money on Santa Gifts to keep the lights on for a while at WG.   :cap_haloween:

Oh, and yup, GC was delivered by Santa.    :cap_happy::cap_like:

• Bad 1

[NSFW]
[NSFW]
Members
100 posts
6,768 battles
3 minutes ago, mavfin87 said:

If they really wanted cash, all they had to do was put GZ up on the store in its OP state after the 'balancing'...

But they didn't.

And that's why you don't see a single GZ in game these days.

/s.

[SAA]
Modder
19 posts

WG could easily double their revenue if they introduced a new signal, costing a few doubloons, that guaranteed there will be no CVs in your next battle.

• Funny 6

[XBRTC]
Members
2,274 posts
8,217 battles
46 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

There's also a difference between "trying to achieve something that's ultimately unobtainable because doing nothing would be a disaster" and "hell with it, bring on the disaster."

Guess which path they've picked?

[-TKS-]
Members
394 posts
7,410 battles
58 minutes ago, Perriwen said:

Really you think they need to nerf it to sale it again? it was in the shop in july/august or so way after is was removed in 7.2 ~ same thing with the konig too. 

[-GDP-]
2,549 posts
1,049 battles

They be careful with their balancing on premium ships, they did the same thing with tanks until everyone got fed up and left to the other historical Russian tank simulation game where they don’t screw up their customers. Here they did well because they created OP ships by mistake and then took them out of the shop and left them alone, they never sold crap ships until the PEF so I assume the WOT staffs are micromanaging ships now. 

• Funny 1

[NSFW]
[NSFW]
Members
100 posts
6,768 battles
1 minute ago, EyE_dYe_QuIck said:

Really you think they need to nerf it to sale it again? it was in the shop in july/august or so way after is was removed in 7.2 ~ same thing with the konig too. 

Watch. After the nerf, it'll be back in the shop. You can take that to the bank.

Members
702 posts
23 minutes ago, Capt_Oveur said:

WG could easily double their revenue if they introduced a new signal, costing a few doubloons, that guaranteed there will be no CVs in your next battle.

Yes yes yes 

[_-_]
Members
1,571 posts
29 minutes ago, Capt_Oveur said:

Best idea I've heard in awhile!

[POP]
Members
1,272 posts
16,170 battles
13 hours ago, Perriwen said:

I agree with you to a certain degree but I also believe this was also a distraction, a week after the live server test of patch 8.0, too convenient.

Firstly I think this more to do with the fact that even though WG has admitted the CV rework has problems and its only  been a week i think there is more pain to come as we have not yet felt the full impact from it.

Secondly in the same announcement of this up tiering of GC they announce more buffs to the Russian BB's, ships that are yet to face live server tests of  the new CV rework , a rework that will take months if not a year to fix.I think the Russian BB's will be out before the rework is fixed and I have a sneaking suspicion that these same Russian BB's may have great deal immunity to the new rework I think they may be worried about more back lash.

Third this is a test bed case to see if they can get this past the community without a fight if they do all those ships that have classified as so OP and no longer for sale will be altered and put back into circulation for sale. 

If WG were really worried about OP ships in game they should not be producing those damn tier 9 / 10 super ships like Jean Bart or Staliniumgrad and the rest with gimmicks on them.

Seriously when was the last time we had a serious post about how OP or bad it is to play against GC, and yet not day or week goes by when someone isn't complaining about one the super ships in game namely Staliniumgrad.  

This is all a distraction.   

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
5,566 posts
4,181 battles

I mean...this change is probably WG wanting to make some $$$ without really bringing her back into the game in her current form.  After all, it did cost a pretty penny to actually model her into the game.

Maybe they can give her radar and additional AA to balance her out.  She could be like Scharnhorst - a cruiser / destroyer killer.

She'll be in her Russian form.

image.thumb.png.ef1a96ab69a6ef523f0ed93fe7bea5c5.png

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,327 posts
15,768 battles
1 hour ago, WuYixiang said:

It's in any game developer's best interest to make a balanced game in order to generate more revenue .

And this is how you justify STALINGRAD …. BALANCED?

1 hour ago, Landsraad said:

"intentional sabotage in the name of profit"

Yeah …. I remember that … the ORIGINAL Graf Zeppelin release!

36 minutes ago, LT_Rusty_SWO said:

"hell with it, bring on the disaster."

Otherwise known as Patch 8.0?

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles

Don't know why she can't be renamed and then released as she was sold to the Russians as the Novorossiysk.  The only change would be putting a russian flag on her.. everything else could stay as is and WG could play with any armour they wanted to..  then you could keep the existing GC and play with a T6 GC as a Russian ship. 

Seems to me that would suit everyone,  no additional dev costs,  no upset players and more sales for a Russian premium T6 BB.

• Cool 2

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
1 hour ago, Perriwen said:

Who in their right mind is going to buy a NERFED Premium ship?

"This bote used to be great but now it sux! And it's now available in the Premium shop!"

• Cool 1

Members
1,123 posts
7,679 battles
6 minutes ago, Umikami said:

And this is how you justify STALINGRAD …. BALANCED?

WG has a history of giving out OP rewards for competitive pvp (flint, black, obj. 907, and more). So I think stalingrad might have been intended to be a little OP from the start.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
2,107 posts
4,337 battles
3 minutes ago, MaliceA4Thought said:

Don't know why she can't be renamed and then released as she was sold to the Russians as the Novorossiysk.  The only change would be putting a russian flag on her.. everything else could stay as is and WG could play with any armour they wanted to..  then you could keep the existing GC and play with a T6 GC as a Russian ship. 

Seems to me that would suit everyone,  no additional dev costs,  no upset players and more sales for a Russian premium T6 BB.

But that actually leave them at square one, because the whole impetus for this according to them is GC continuing to overperform as a tier 5. This would leave overpowered GC at tier 5, and give people another Russian battleship that nobody's really asked for at tier 6.

• Cool 1