You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrushWolf

If we are going to get submarines...

21 comments in this topic

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,418 posts
10,140 battles

we need USCGC Icarus as a premium. :Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,036 posts
7,628 battles
5 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

we need USCGC Icarus as a premium. :Smile_trollface:

Ready for the next forum cyclone?

ASW is too strong. My sub is sunk before I can even get in range. I have X amount of DD's raining depth charges on me.

ASW needs a buff! I was detonated without any warning and I had my sonar pinging away!

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776
  • Funny 2

[LANCE]
Members
451 posts
4,037 battles
5 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Ready for the next forum cyclone?

ASW is too strong. My sub is sunk before I can even get in range. I have X amount of DD's raining depth charges on me.

ASW needs a buff! I was detonated without any warning and I had my sonar pinging away!

Well at least the topic wouldn’t be about radar or CV’s! Lol

[RMRGD]
Members
272 posts
17,799 battles

I hope it wont be 2 years before we see subs like the cv rework has taken.

I by no means wants to be on this hate WG ban wagon. I think the cv rework is damn good, and we had to get to this point to balance.   PTS isn't going to do what we are getting back now.      Subs though are now way low on the list.   I hope they take it serious I think subs will be awesome.

[FTH]
Members
714 posts
12,333 battles

Meh, stop halfway doing it...we want Midway in her post angled flight deck conversion, with P-3 Orions dropping Sonar buoys and AWACS...

There, have I got something for everyone to get pissed off about in there?

[GWG]
[GWG]
17,418 posts
10,140 battles
20 minutes ago, Bravo4zero said:

Well at least the topic wouldn’t be about radar or CV’s! Lol

We had a radar post yesterday and I have noticed that CV's are definitely not the win/loss decider that they were before the patch. Their numbers are also slowly, a bit slower than with other new line releases, dropping and in another week or two we should be at or near their typical numbers. That should make the DD players a bit happier as there won't be as many planes going out and back in so they will be spotted less.

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,036 posts
7,628 battles
5 minutes ago, Purg473 said:

Meh, stop halfway doing it...we want Midway in her post angled flight deck conversion, with P-3 Orions dropping Sonar buoys and AWACS...

They were good. Damn good actually. Ship my dad served on forced a Soviet sub to surface during Vietnam on a WESTPAC cruise.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[H_]
Members
1,212 posts

OP.  Not to be too negative; but, after the 8.0 patch, how can you even assume our game host could, in any world, get the most complicated vessels in WW2 even remotely functional in-game.   Not to mention, that while you face endless aircraft from CV's that spot everything anywhere, that the DD's would or could even imagine ASW?  You do realize that ASW ops in WW2 were the most difficult fights imagined....  Think about sailing at high speed in circles, over and over and over again, with the circles getting larger and larger...  All the while, being attacked by rocket firing and endless aircraft and......since you are always spotted, sailing in endless circles, the entire enemy team can see....

Ah, I doubt there would be a single DD CPT that would do that ever as the game is today, right now....  I like subs, I really do but, this game isn't capable of supporting them and the CV's in the same game.  Remember, once you launch a torpedo, those endless aircraft spot them and the jig is up for that sub.....  Subs on the surface get rocketed and if CA and BB can't defend themselves, what chance does a sub have???

Nope.  I just can't see them working at the moment.

Edited by Asym_KS

[SOUS]
Members
251 posts
8,111 battles

I think the forums might break if you start the debate of subs today, let's get the CV rework and the the GC nerf over with first. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
17,418 posts
10,140 battles
38 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

OP.  Not to be too negative; but, after the 8.0 patch, how can you even assume our game host could, in any world, get the most complicated vessels in WW2 even remotely functional in-game.   Not to mention, that while you face endless aircraft from CV's that spot everything anywhere, that the DD's would or could even imagine ASW?  You do realize that ASW ops in WW2 were the most difficult fights imagined....  Think about sailing at high speed in circles, over and over and over again, with the circles getting larger and larger...  All the while, being attacked by rocket firing and endless aircraft and......since you are always spotted, sailing in endless circles, the entire enemy team can see....

Ah, I doubt there would be a single DD CPT that would do that ever as the game is today, right now....  I like subs, I really do but, this game isn't capable of supporting them and the CV's in the same game.  Remember, once you launch a torpedo, those endless aircraft spot them and the jig is up for that sub.....  Subs on the surface get rocketed and if CA and BB can't defend themselves, what chance does a sub have???

Nope.  I just can't see them working at the moment.

I think you missed what I thought was a very obvious troll with the ship I mentions. Personally I think subs are a no go without become something the subs of the games era were not but with the CV flames I thought some fun was in order.

[DRAH]
Members
129 posts
4,404 battles

While the OP is obviously having a laugh this should make all the pro sub folks think very carefully about what they want. This is because hardest part of adding subs is getting a good ASW model into the game and what we have seen from the Flak/AA changes and counterplay mess shows that WG struggles to design good counterplay for the surface targets.

[HEROS]
Members
1,786 posts
5,667 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I think you missed what I thought was a very obvious troll with the ship I mentions. Personally I think subs are a no go without become something the subs of the games era were not but with the CV flames I thought some fun was in order.

but, but, Subs could be the answer to fix the CV balance. add 2 types of plane to the mix, one for Sub detection, one for anti Sub measures, disperse the power a bit, and give Subs coordinates to the CV that only the Sub knows.

don't think that would work? then how about flying subs? been reading a lot about flying shimas, but shimas don't have bombs or missiles, so that's just a silly comparison.

it would give DDs something to do that they would be only a bit worse at than CVs and CAs, which would be a major improvement.

Shirley this would work. stop calling me Shirley. 

2 minutes ago, Ellyh said:

While the OP is obviously having a laugh this should make all the pro sub folks think very carefully about what they want. This is because hardest part of adding subs is getting a good ASW model into the game and what we have seen from the Flak/AA changes and counterplay mess shows that WG struggles to design good counterplay for the surface targets.

this is no indication they would struggle to design good counterplay for sub-surface targets. WG occasionally surprises us all.

[LANCE]
Members
451 posts
4,037 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

We had a radar post yesterday and I have noticed that CV's are definitely not the win/loss decider that they were before the patch. Their numbers are also slowly, a bit slower than with other new line releases, dropping and in another week or two we should be at or near their typical numbers. That should make the DD players a bit happier as there won't be as many planes going out and back in so they will be spotted less.

Must have missed that one :cap_haloween:

The numbers will dwindle, I’m sure. Hasn’t stopped me playing my DD’s (Harugamo loves them planes!!) but just having to play a little different at the moment. I actually feel more vunerable in my BB’s than in my DD’s simply due to the IJN stealth torps and difference in maneuverability. I’ve also played more CV games this past week (for research really) than I’ve played the last however many years I’ve been playing.

The hotfix should stave the tide a little and with more tweaks coming over the next few patches I’m sure things will calm a bit. In the mean time, I’ll grin and bear it!

Edited by Bravo4zero

[1STBG]
Members
1,140 posts
4,850 battles

I think the sh**storm that is the CV rework significantly reduces the chances that subs will be introduced as tech trees.  All the people threatening to quit the game would threaten to quit all over again. 

[HINON]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
2,560 posts
4,805 battles

Hmmmm  here we go.. lets try this....   

seaview1.jpg.c7b3ef32c7c195e53bb7eef8b29fea7a.jpg

heres the sub  and and  ohhh  it can launch flying subs to do rocket attacks as well :)))))

seaview2.jpg.724d56b18a9b245e4d37a0479f00566a.jpg

What's not to like :)

OK just having fun and eating popcorn, but this would work, wouldn't it? :)

[WOLF9]
Members
710 posts
5,099 battles
8 hours ago, Purg473 said:

Asroc, Subroc & The remote Lamps with Lulu depth charges. 

Not like there's enough turmoil with the current state of things.

[_-_]
Members
1,572 posts
53 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

You really want subs with how badly they botched the CV rework?

As long as they don't put Holland types in Tier 2.

Tier 2 is my No CV Zone, hate to see it ruined with sewer pipes.

[H_]
Members
1,212 posts
9 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Well done then !!!  We can't even handle "super CV's" let alone subs.....  I miss humor sometimes......must be a regional thing.

[-BRS-]
Members
375 posts
11,042 battles

We already have subs in the game......every time I play, I always submerge............

• Funny 1