You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
LupusMalum

Could Wargameing.net, make an official statement on if strong AA, guarantees Immunity to attacks from CVs. 

7 comments in this topic

[TMDA]
Members
286 posts
13,643 battles

I think if people had a proper definition of what an AA spec guarantees, maybe a few would be less upset over not being able to delete a CVs Attack wing with no damage from the CV. Before the last patch, you were able to erase a huge number of planes because the CV had at least 2 attack options at the same time. Now with only 1 attack option after 8.0, it would not be fun for the CV to lose his 1 attack option as was prevalent in 7.8.

[SBS]
Members
3,257 posts
2,408 battles

Everything is being adjusted, AA included.  No one knows how its all going to to be balanced, WG included.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,337 posts
8,949 battles
14 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Everything is being adjusted, AA included.  No one knows how its all going to to be balanced, WG included.

Main problem from what I've seen is the standardized AA ranges, but given how deadly flak is when it hits, I can tell WG intends to balance around those. I also noticed the continuous damage part isn't very consistent, but think that's the one with the % chance to hit, not the flak.

At very least, a better explanation of how flak and continuous damage works would help clarify things.

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
4,981 battles

and don't worry. 100 AA rating doesn't mean you are aircraft proof.

[TMDA]
Members
286 posts
13,643 battles
4 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

and don't worry. 100 AA rating doesn't mean you are aircraft proof.

I understand that but a lot of the player bases thinks 100% means a no-fly cosmos. 

[POD]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
4,981 battles
Just now, LupusMalum said:

I understand that but a lot of the player bases thinks 100% means a no-fly cosmos. 

they will understand the hard way.

[KAOZ]
Beta Testers
3,504 posts
2,599 battles

The fact is that in the previous system, a carrier could delete anyone he wanted.  However, the cost in irreplaceable planes would go up if you tried to pick on say, a Cleveland or a Texas.
Now there was no slow regain of squadrons, and there was no "F" to return to carrier.  So if you weren't careful, that Cleveland you sunk could end-up costing you 2 squadrons out of 3.
Even some BBs like WarSpite, Montana, Gneisenau (etc) would extract a small toll on squadrons.  say maybe a total of 2-3 planes?   Remember "irreplaceable" so every little bit added up.

Also, the way damage was dealt to planes INSURED that you would shoot down a few.   Say your squad has 2000 hit points, before each 400 damage you lost a plane.  Now?  that same 400pts of damage is completely useless, as you just dealt 80 damage on each of your 5 planes.
This only compounds the whole mess where not only carrier player lose so little airplanes, but regenerate them overtime making the very few you DO shoot down completely meaningless.

Then, and the subject of this thread: mitigating an attack run.  There is NO mitigation anymore.  Before say you killed 2 planes and the CV still drops you, you only see 3 torps instead of 5.   Now?  See example on damage above...  You lose no planes on your original strike.
So you get to eat those 4-6 torps EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. (barring good maneuvering, but that is the same before/after).  Now back to first paragraph... "F" key.  So go in, launch your strike with all impunity, evaluate damage and if too hot... "F".

Last Words :
If you cannot mitigate an incoming strike squadron (not speaking of total wipe here) then your AA might as well be nonexistent !!!!   ESPECIALLY with planes regenerating on the deck, hence why ppl keep shouting CV have unlimited planes.
That's why many players are crying to get the AA buffed.  That's the only thing that can work in current 0.8.0 meta.  Anything short of a serious AA rebalancing means nothing in the long run thanks to examples above.
Btw, Other surface vessels do not have regenerating secondaries/AA mounts... Nor can they spam the "F" key to use unlimited DCP/DCAA.

My 2 cents.