You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Providences

Worth keeping ARP ships?

25 comments in this topic

[NFC]
Members
44 posts
1,786 battles

So basically...

I'm broke. 

I want to buy a hoard of ships (Monarch, Nurnberg, La Glass, Cleveland) to continue my grind down their respective trees, but, I am broke. I noticed that we can finally sell our ARP ships. Should I sell the ARP ships (besides keeping a Kongo, Myoko and obviously Takao), or should I keep them since they are somewhat rare and will never return to WoWS? I mean, I hardly play them, but it would be cool to have them as port queens if they are quite rare. 

[INR]
Members
675 posts
3,756 battles
4 minutes ago, Providences said:

So basically...

I'm broke. 

I want to buy a hoard of ships (Monarch, Nurnberg, La Glass, Cleveland) to continue my grind down their respective trees, but, I am broke. I noticed that we can finally sell our ARP ships. Should I sell the ARP ships (besides keeping a Kongo, Myoko and obviously Takao), or should I keep them since they are somewhat rare and will never return to WoWS? I mean, I hardly play them, but it would be cool to have them as port queens if they are quite rare. 

It depends on how much you value your port queens. Nobody else can make that call for you. Me personally, if I don't play a ship that I know I can buy back in one form or another (Kongou, Myoukou, Atago), I sell it. If I really want to play it again, I'll repurchase it.

[AFW-]
Members
262 posts
10,810 battles

you have to decide if want to keep them. Personally i would just grind out the money in tiers u like to play instead of getting rid of rare ships

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,710 posts

Keep em... unlikely they'll come around again. Just hide em and forget they're there.

Sell em... you never play them anyhow... you know you'll never want one until they best you in a match or two... just see them as made of unobtanium... and forget about their fun, cheerful voices... or the angry words they toss at you when you take a hit. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
17,519 posts
10,213 battles

I would keep them for their rarity. They act as premium ships now although they get none of the usual premium benefits but if you want to go on a training binge you should be able to make a good dent in a captains training.

[NG-NL]
Members
29 posts
5,500 battles

Whether the ARP ships are worth it to you or not, you won't get rich by selling them, and you'll be back in this hole soon.

I suggest you read a few posts that help you learn some ways to grind credits. It's not all about premium time. My best income is from scenarios and from using camouflage that lowers costs and raises income on high-tier ships in Random Battles (though the permanent camouflages cost real money).

Edited by imaginary_b
added another link for Scrooge McDuck

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
9,328 posts
15,768 battles
5 minutes ago, imaginary_b said:

Whether the ARP ships are worth it to you or not, you won't get rich by selling them, and you'll be back in this hole soon.

I suggest you read about good ways to grind credits. It's not all about premium time. My best income is from scenarios and from using camouflage that lowers costs and raises income on high-tier ships in Random Battles (though the permanent camouflages cost real money).

Or jut play a lot of tier 5 where it is next to impossible to lose money.

[ERN]
[ERN]
Modder, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,387 posts
4,550 battles
7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Or jut play a lot of tier 5 where it is next to impossible to lose money.

or just earn enough free exp to buy a tier 9 premium ship without spending any real money

[RLGN]
Members
9,442 posts
18,870 battles
9 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

I would keep them for their rarity. They act as premium ships now although they get none of the usual premium benefits but if you want to go on a training binge you should be able to make a good dent in a captains training.

Keep them like wolf said.

An IJN or ARP captain (and HSF) captain can get up to ten first wins using them, as long as you don’t mind some skills not being exactly perfect. Especially valuable right now with 200% first wins. (or did that end with the weekend?)

Like several have said; stay in some lower tier ships for a while and grind out your warchest. Not that hard to do as long as you don’t use premium consumables, yolo and die, or go full on potato in some other way.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,685 posts
10,551 battles
30 minutes ago, Providences said:

So basically...

I'm broke. 

Keep'em, this last Christmas they were worth a good amount of coal and a little steel for sweeping the snow off the decks. They won't get any more common, and if WG does anything similar again, might as well have 9 extra quasi-premiums.

If you need credits, run them through co-op or random and get the first win bonus off each of them, 9 first win bonuses should start adding up.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,184 posts
12,189 battles

They don't really give enough credits to be worth selling, I never and will never play mine, but also won't sell them. No point and it's can't be undone.

[HGE]
Members
27 posts
3,525 battles
43 minutes ago, Providences said:

So basically...

I'm broke. 

Keep them!  At least the T8 Atago wanna be without perma camo.  And grind up 1 or 2 lines only can save money.  Play scenario to make credits. Watch Twitch to get 100k everyday.  Grind coal then get Jean Bart. She makes good money. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,804 posts
10,553 battles

Aren't they generally inferior to their tech tree counterparts? No upgrades and you are stuck with the ARP cammo.

[NG-NL]
Members
29 posts
5,500 battles
4 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Aren't they generally inferior to their tech tree counterparts? No upgrades and you are stuck with the ARP cammo.

They're very similar. ARP Kongo/Kirishima/Haruna/Hiei have the same hull and speed as the fully upgraded Kongo, non-upgraded 19.3km range, and slightly faster-firing guns that do very slightly more damage. And they cannot equip special camouflage.

The ARP Myoko sisters have the same stats as the fully upgraded tech tree Myoko.

ARP Takao is identical to the Atago, except for the camouflage.

Kamikaze R is almost the same as tech tree Minekaze. As I recall, Kamikaze has slightly better torps, but slightly worse concealment. And it can't equip other camouflage.

(Kamikaze was once in the same situation as the ARP ships. I almost sold it as a duplicate.)

Edited by imaginary_b
Clarify that I meant fully-upgraded

[CVA16]
Members
2,804 posts
10,553 battles
1 hour ago, imaginary_b said:

Kamikaze R is almost the same as tech tree Minekaze. As I recall, Kamikaze has slightly better torps, but slightly worse concealment. And it can't equip other camouflage.

At one time the Minekaze was (slightly) better than the Kami sisters. Faster, with a few slight differences in guns and torps. Then it was heavily nerfed, leaving the Kami sisters somewhat superior. I think they (and the Mutsuki) have the same concealment.

Always thought the ARP ships were slightly inferior to the fully upgraded tech tree versions. Interesting to find they are not.

[NG-NL]
Members
29 posts
5,500 battles
9 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

At one time the Minekaze was (slightly) better than the Kami sisters. Faster, with a few slight differences in guns and torps. Then it was heavily nerfed, leaving the Kami sisters somewhat superior. I think they (and the Mutsuki) have the same concealment.

I phrased it poorly. Indeed, exactly as you said. Kamikaze was once the weak sister to Minekaze, and then many changes later, Kamikaze is left alone as a unique premium with a fearsome reputation.

This is why I don't sell ships that I can't buy again later.

Members
1,720 posts
9,150 battles

Hey

I still have mine but only play 1ea. of the T5 Kongo's, 2 of the T7 Myoko's and I still play the T8 Takao.  My Myoko's I run 2 different builds for the fun of it.  I still have all of my ships, even a couple I sold and bought back (Indy and FDG).

Pete

[CVA16]
Members
2,804 posts
10,553 battles
27 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

I still have mine but only play 1ea. of the T5 Kongo's, 2 of the T7 Myoko's and I still play the T8 Takao

In that situation I might be tempted to pare down the Kongos at least unless you like having each with a unique build also.

[S_B]
Members
417 posts
11,876 battles

I kept 2 ARP BBs and 2 ARP cruisers and have slightly different builds on them. Sold the rest as I saw no point in having 4 BB's and 5 cruisers anymore.

Beta Testers
1,597 posts
3,811 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 8:47 PM, Providences said:

So basically...

I'm broke. 

Ever play CV look into your inventory tab for refunds on them. Keep the ones you like and keep in mind that they are rare ships. I havn’t spent any money and I went from 12,000 free xp to 1mil free xp and got Irian. I’ll rebuy back the premium CV’s if they get better they are just not there yet in terms of balance.

Members
110 posts
6,836 battles

On a relate note, I have ARP Haguro and Mogami, Is there any reason to keep the Myoko?

(other than for different builds, I don't think I'll have enough high-point captains to do that)

Likewise, I have ARP Hiei and Nagato, is there any reason to keep Kongo?

Just trying not to do something dumb, again.

Thank you,

Edited by USSCurtis
not going to have different builds

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,888 posts
12,189 battles

Keep em.  they're great ships and you can use them to farm the captain bonus on while leveling your IJN captains.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
6,552 posts
19,392 battles
On 2/5/2019 at 8:47 PM, Providences said:

So basically...

I'm broke. 

I dumped all mine because I just didn't use them. I have tons of premium ships and just never bothered with the Dragon or ARP ships. In theory the reworked ARP ships are pretty good but in practice I just ignored them. It would have been nice to have them for the Snowflake event but that is about the only regret I have regarding dumping them. If you play mostly IJN, then keeping them would make sense. 

If you like the material, keep one of each class and sell off the duplicates. I did this at first thinking that I could use them to help level up my IJN captains but eventually just sold them as well since I had premium IJN BBs and cruisers including Atago which was far superior to the ARP clone.